Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

I think the problem is mainly cultural: the Australian general public (like the americans) is used to high-score sports, they don't appreciate a well-played 0-0.

Unless you were born with it (like Europeans or South Americans), it's hard to understand. It's like cricket to me: I wasn't born with it, and although I've learned the basics and I don't mind watching 20 minutes of it on TV, you'll never see me on the stands.

Winning the general NRL or AFL public is a lost battle, it will never happen. But there is a whole new generation in Australia that was somehow born with football (along with the older hard-cores): that is the audience they need to target. And it will happen, if they don't screw it up completely.
    How long is it going to take? Who knows...

I agree promotion/relegation doesn't make any sense at this stage: an expansion to 14-16 teams is a lot more reasonable. Canberra, Tasmania, Gold Coast (yeah I know...)
    One thing we need for sure is a longer season, a 26 games regular season is a joke.

Too many mistakes have been made in organising the A League.
    The last 2 expansion clubs were two of these mistakes. Western United and Macarthur should never have made the cut and their crowds prove this despite them having decent teams.

When the A League was created one major recommendations from the Crawford report was there were too many teams in Sydney and Melbourne. The establishment of the A League gave Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC a 5 year licence of being the only team from their respective city. Adding a second team from each city , The wanderers and Heart was a good move to create derbies. But 2 is where it should have stayed. Western United should be moved to Geelong and the League needs to work with Macarthur to make it work as it is a football area so it can succeed.

For mine, I think we need to expand again to 14 teams. I think we need to provide more opportunities for younger players to get an opportunity to play at a high level and unfortunately at the moment only Central Coast, Sydney fc, West Sydney and Adelaide are producing decent young players that can step up to A League level and some may debate that. More younger players will only make our national under 20's, under 23's and Eventually Socceroos stronger.

I believe Football needs another team in Queensland, The states too big to have just one team. Gold Coast and North Queensland have previously failed, possibly a team on the Sunshine Coast could work. They already have an NPL team there.

Toowoomba is a Town of 140,000 people, it doesn't have any national league teams in any sport. Why not consider Toowoomba?

So if a Queensland team takes one spot then I would give the other spot to Canberra or Hobart. I don't have a big preference for either but both would have it's merits.

2 other areas that need addressing are the tv coverage and the ticket prices. I think the channel 10 coverage is good, but only one game on free to air TV isn't enough when you compare it to Rugby League, AFL and cricket and while this continues football won't go forward.

I don't have Paramount and from what I've heard from subscribers is that it's crap coverage of football. They need to fix that up plus put more on Paramount to make it worth getting it.

Lastly Football is in a competitive market and so ticket prices need to reflect that. At the current time where the League needs to grow I don't think that any A League ticket for any seat at a regular game should be more then $25. After a few years of covid we should be encouraging people back to the games not slugging them with ridiculous prices.

Quote Originally Posted by anfield View Post
    Too many mistakes have been made in organising the A League.
    The last 2 expansion clubs were two of these mistakes. Western United and Macarthur should never have made the cut and their crowds prove this despite them having decent teams.
    I think they did a decent job setting it up.

They have failed miserably in not working hard enough in media, national and international corporate sponsorship and constant visits to schools to garner support.
    They Wont beat AFL but NRL is a chance over the next 30 years if they advertise constantly in all areas.
    We need to increase the TV deal so we can fund more from top down.

QLD is a Bogan basket case. They are entrenched leagueheads. How many teams have failed up there? [/QUOTE]

SUBMITTED EXPRESSION OF INTERESTS ACCORDING TO AAFC

ACT

Canberra Croatia
    Gungahlin United

NEW SOUTH WALES

APIA Leichhardt
    Marconi Stallions
    Rockdale Ilinden
    Sydney Olympic
    Sydney United 58
    Wollongong Wolves

QUEENSLAND

Brisbane United
    Brisbane City
    Gold Coast Knights
    Gold Coast United
    Peninsula Power
    Olympic FC
    Sunshine Coast Fire

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Adelaide City
    Football South Australia bid

TASMANIA

South Hobart

VICTORIA

Avondale
    Bentleigh Greens
    Brunswick Juventus
    Heidelberg United
    Melbourne Knights
    Preston Lions
    South Melbourne

Wow… I had expected Edgy or Magic to throw their hat into the ring but not Valentine!

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Wow… I had expected Edgy or Magic to throw their hat into the ring but not Valentine!
    Thats a pisstake surely.
    you continue to come last or 2nd last every year, and they want to be in the 2nd tier.
    Football in NNSW is the sporting reality version of MAFS.

I thought edgy were very interested.
    Also thought Hamilton Olympic renamed to newcastle Olympic with vision of a second division.
    And obvious Magics success probably makes them a candidate.

But Valentine…. Wow.
    Surprised the Jets didn’t think to apply.

Valentine's new facility looks really good atm but It wouldn't hold the required minimum standard crowd for this competition.

I was hoping to see some new francises. Not just NPL clubs, some of whom are still not over being excluded from the original A League.

Full list

SUBMITTED EXPRESSION OF INTERESTS

ACT

• Canberra Croatia
    • Gungahlin United

NEW SOUTH WALES

• APIA Leichhardt
    • Blacktown City
    • Fraser Park*
    • Marconi Stallions
    • Rockdale Ilinden
    • Sutherland Sharks/Cronulla Sharks
    • Sydney Olympic
    • Sydney United 58
    • Wollongong Wolves

NORTHERN NEW SOUTH WALES

• Valentine FC

QUEENSLAND

• Brisbane City
    • Brisbane United (Wynnum Wolves, Brisbane Strikers, Virigina United)
    • Gold Coast Knights
    • Gold Coast United
    • Olympic FC
    • Peninsula Power
    • Sunshine Coast Fire

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

• Adelaide City
    • Football South Australia bid (Campbelltown City, North East MetroStars, West Torrens Birkalla)
    • Playford City Soccer and Community Club

TASMANIA

• South Hobart

VICTORIA

• Avondale
    • Bentleigh Greens
    • Brunswick Juventus
    • Green Gully
    • Heidelberg United
    • Melbourne Knights
    • Preston Lions
    • South Melbourne

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

• Spearwood Dalmatinac/Cockburn City*

* Subject to the submission fee payment being confirmed.

This is a mistake in the medium term.

They should get the A-League house in order first.

The ALW is a financial disaster, purely due to lack of general interest, and this will be as well.
    Only one bloke on this foz constantly makes me laugh Plague and it ain't you - MFKS

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    This is a mistake in the medium term.

They should get the A-League house in order first.

The ALW is a financial disaster, purely due to lack of general interest, and this will be as well.
    Totally agree,

The ALM/W is entirely an APL problem. They wanted independence from the FA, they got it. The FA has nothing to do with the running of ALM/W comps anymore

The more teams on a national scale, the better for the potential development of our youth (more teams on a national scale, more opportunities potentially)
    Jaliens gives me the horn

ABC Canberra reporting that a licence for Canberra will be granted today. Auckland also to come in. 2024/25 entry.

Stoked! Shocked!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...14-p5crwp.html

Instead of an open-slather tender process inviting bids from across the country, the APL has conducted extensive research to determine which untapped markets hold most potential for the A-Leagues. Canberra and Auckland were the clear standouts to become teams 13 and 14, chief executive Danny Townsend said.

Both cities have been designated “preferred market status” by the APL. The organisation’s chiefs have already begun consulting football community leaders, governments and other potential stakeholders to gather support. They will spend the next few months searching for investors, before ideally awarding club licences to the new owners in June – giving them about 14 months to prepare both men’s and women’s teams for kick-off in October 2024.

It won’t come cheap. Townsend confirmed the APL would be asking for expansion fees of about $25 million for new franchises
    30 rounds when they get to 16 teams.

Townsend said the same process would most likely be followed for teams 15 and 16, with the Gold Coast, Wollongong or a second team in Brisbane considered the front-runners to enter the competitions in season 2025-26

ABC saying Tasmania and Darwin (really?) in the mix as well. Need rectangle stadiums to be in the discussion imo.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-...e=abc_news_web

Big fan of a straight home and away season, the current uneven model can never be fair for everyone.

30 game season plus cup and finals finally getting the game time closer to the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    ABC saying Tasmania and Darwin (really?) in the mix as well. Need rectangle stadiums to be in the discussion imo.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-...e=abc_news_web

Big fan of a straight home and away season, the current uneven model can never be fair for everyone.

30 game season plus cup and finals finally getting the game time closer to the rest of the world.
    Tassie and the ACT need an A league team for development opportunities if nothing else. plenty of good young players in both regions that have little chance to compete against quality opposition unless they re-locate.

Tassie are crying out for another professional sports team in general.
    All opinions expressed here are my own.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...14-p5crwp.html

30 rounds when they get to 16 teams.
    25 million to buy in??

Who the **** is stupid enough to pay that type of money for a loss making exercise??

No wonder the Jets are in Limbo without owners when these ****wits are trying to sell a turd for that price

FmD

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    25 million to buy in??

Who the **** is stupid enough to pay that type of money for a loss making exercise??

No wonder the Jets are in Limbo without owners when these ****wits are trying to sell a turd for that price

FmD
    I reckon that $25 million figure is complete nonsense from the APL, they will take a can of coke and pie from anyone stupid enough to sign up for the league.

In all honesty, I reckon they are telling clubs to have $25 million in funds ready before they sign up, because they will spend that much over the next 5 years to buy a licence and keep a team afloat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Danny Townsend trying to get more people to sign up to his Ponzi Scheme before he goes.
    Jaliens gives me the horn