Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

The A-League Expansion Thread

So it's lookin like a matter of where not if.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Rumored new T.V deal to start from 2016 worth $80 million per year for 4 year's with 12 Clubs.

http://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/fo...sport_football
    I'M GULLIBLE!

It's a good question and there's going to be plenty of debate.

Will Canberra and Wollongong come back in and do they have the market for sustaining a team? Geelong will no doubt come back in and there will be a case for another Brisbane team or North Queensland to return. There's plenty of candidates.

For me:

Another NZ team to push the competition over there and get a local derby. Probably try Auckland again?

Canberra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

well that article basically says it will be a second Brisbane team and a third Sydney team.

I don't have a problem with those regions, but I do think that regional areas shouldn't be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Canberra.
    would love this but can't see it happening. Brumbies just lost $1m this season, don't have a sponsor. Raiders not sure about but assume they are in a similar financial position.

basically, all the issues Newcastle experiences would be replicated here.

and they couldn't host any games during the summer holidays, as there is nobody here. last person out on Christmas eve has to remember to switch the street lights off.

not that we were in too much danger but it probably means we will be around for a while yet.

I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    would love this but can't see it happening. Brumbies just lost $1m this season, don't have a sponsor. Raiders not sure about but assume they are in a similar financial position.

basically, all the issues Newcastle experiences would be replicated here.

and they couldn't host any games during the summer holidays, as there is nobody here. last person out on Christmas eve has to remember to switch the street lights off.
    There you go. Good to get a point of view from the region. I wasn't aware about the loss the brumbies experienced.

I really wonder if Brisbane could host a second team. I'm not sure they could.

Southern Sydney franchise, I assume? Maybe....I recall there's been a recent article about expansion ideas from the Cronulla Sharks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    It will defo be either a 3rd Sydney team a 3rd Melburn team or a 2nd Brisbane team.

End of discussion.

They are the only area with a population base capable of sustaining another team short term/long term.

The FFA still have to get round to fixing the issues at Newy and Gypos for PERMANENT before worrying again about the likes of Nth Qld GC who have already failed or areas like ACT and Wollongong who are likely to be just a similar basket case as the 2 current regional sides are and Fury/GC were

Adelaide and Perth are no hope for a 2nd team anytime soon

largz misses out again

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    It will defo be either a 3rd Sydney team a 3rd Melburn team or a 2nd Brisbane team.

End of discussion.

They are the only area with a population base capable of sustaining another team short term/long term.

The FFA still have to get round to fixing the issues at Newy and Gypos for PERMANENT before worrying again about the likes of Nth Qld GC who have already failed or areas like ACT and Wollongong who are likely to be just a similar basket case as the 2 current regional sides are and Fury/GC were

Adelaide and Perth are no hope for a 2nd team anytime soon
    I reckon you are probably right. Obviously in Sydney it would be a Sutherland area team.
    In Melbourne you would have to think maybe Geelong? I don't know the geographical make up of the city that well, but there isn't really another option is there?You would have to think a 2nd Brisbane team is a long shot too. Again, I don't know the geography of it that well, does anyone with some knowledge in that area think a second Brissy team is viable?

sutherland is a waste of time and money

better off shoring up us and the gypos and forgetting any of these trash ass ideas

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwannaplaywithhowey View Post
    I reckon you are probably right. Obviously in Sydney it would be a Sutherland area team.
    In Melbourne you would have to think maybe Geelong? I don't know the geographical make up of the city that well, but there isn't really another option is there?You would have to think a 2nd Brisbane team is a long shot too. Again, I don't know the geography of it that well, does anyone with some knowledge in that area think a second Brissy team is viable?
    Personally I don't think it is that viable at present in Brisvegas either.

Look at the crowds support they currently get for the Roar and lets be honest they probably will not see a period of success dominance as they have had in the HAL in the last 4 years. Not exactly captivating enough to make you think about starting a rival team.

Population wise they have the opportunity but the magic question how to get it to happen is up to bean counters smarter than me

Melburn is a big enough city to support another team just a question of where and they need to do so after Heart are actually established. Geelong maybe involved but lets remember it is also a regional area like Newy.

Sydney well you could go either Nth Shore/Southern end/ Campbelltown way the options are there. Either way you are gonna cut into area Wanderers/Smurfs think is theirs

Melbourne has to be the Dandenong area, large enough population and the demographics of the area is similar to that of Western Sydney.

Brisbane has 2 options I feel, Brisbane Strikers come back into the fold or you go to the Western Corridor Ipswich/Logan area (but then the available stadia comes into question)

Sydney if you go to the Sutherland area you're cutting FC territor, if you go to Campbelltown you're cutting in to WSW area.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Basically Expansion is necessary.

More teams more content
    More content more money
    More money better stability

If the rumored $80 million per year is true then that money needs to go to the clubs without the PFA pillaging it for the player. Clubs need to making money from the T.V rights not just the players.

Lets talk hypothetically for a second.
    T.V rights worth 80m
    Salary Cap raised to 3m (players get a pay rise still)
    FFA divy out 5m per club.
    5m x 12 Clubs = 60m (players salary is covered and clubs have 2m of revenue for elsewhere)
    FFA are left with 20m, 5m per year better of then they are now.

A system like this would mean clubs like us and any other future "regional clubs" would be sustainable.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Brisbane couldn't support a second NRL team let alone an A-League team.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Brisbane couldn't support a second NRL team let alone an A-League team.

Brisbane can support a second NRL team FACT

They just don't want one and go out of their way to make sure they protect the Broncos at all costs FACT

No point in adding a new Brisbane side until they get a new stadium. Will not work if it's in the city like the Brisbane roar. Talks of an nrl team in west Brisbane aswell so a team could work but yeah I'd have the stadium at 20,000 capacity with foundations to expand to 30,000 or so. Western Brisbane pride?

Not sure about adding a team in cronulla, I thought it was Sydney fc territory? I've been the for knights games before its a decent ground but it deffinately would need abit of an upgrade. They are getting a huge redevelopment in the area plus there is a leagues club next door so there is somewhat of an entertainment prescient around the area. Southern shire fc?

What will that mean with the draw though, will we still have 27 games of will games increase to 33?
    Quote Originally Posted by benfathers45 View Post
    Mangoes? You should try eating it first before you hate it. I'm sure after you have tasted it, you will love it.

Why can't the expansion come from existing Premier League clubs? Choose two that are organically successful.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    this again?

clearly what is needed are teams from Darwin, Tasmania, Wollongong, Canberra, Maitland/Cessnock, Geelong, Coffs Harbour and Napier

Christmas Island should also consider a team as Sheeds is spot on about immigration

a second and third division is also essential oif we're to compete with Asian leagues