Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Yeah look, my man Jetmaster is back there asking the big questions, I thought FIFA wanted the kiwis out of our comp is that not a thing anymore or are we all like 'yeah go **** yourself Gianni'?
    fixed... also swiss but yeah.
    Amigos Aarau

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/h...q1ke7ylfz554ay
    Interesting read from an interview with new head of the A-League Greg O'Rourke.

Found these couple of responses interesting in regard to expansion:

With expansion, broadly speaking, when do you think we might see two new clubs to make a six-game round?

I truly believe we’ll see within the next broadcast deal.

The next broadcast period starts next year and we won’t see expansion next year, but before it [the next broadcast deal expires] we’ll see expansion. That’s what I want, anyway.

Interesting enough, since we’ve been speaking about expansion much more over the last three months, we’ve received many unsolicited applications of expressions of interest from Far North Queensland, Perth, Tasmania and I was in New Zealand and they were asking me about a second team.

Also

Expand where the viewers and numbers are are in larger city centres, or regional areas? What view do you have on that?

My view is, FFA has gone to regional areas in the past, and some of those have failed. And we need to make sure we don’t repeat the past.

But I don’t think we should exclude from our thinking any regions.

We may be brought a proposal that is much bigger and of greater benefit to the game than we ever expected.

I’m expecting that and I’m expecting to be surprised by someone coming to us and saying, we should have an A-League team here and we say ‘wow’....

Because we don’t know everything about every inch of the map.I think there’s a lot to be said about harnessing opportunities in big cities but I’m not going to rule out the regions.

Sounds like a super rugby type deal. Smaller clubs would need a lot of support up front as you'd imagine the costs would increase dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by &1gest View Post
    Bet Fatboy was the one owner not there or if he was, he would've wanted his franchise moved to Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by &1gest View Post
    Yesterday's news, now that expansion is back on the table I bet we'll keep seeing a lot more rehashed news.

In other expansion news FFA were supposedly meeting with a Hobart based consortium. The consortium features 2 previous Victory share holders.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Yesterday's news, now that expansion is back on the table I bet we'll keep seeing a lot more rehashed news.

In other expansion news FFA were supposedly meeting with a Hobart based consortium. The consortium features 2 previous Victory share holders.
    http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/l...14d380453eb146

South Melbourne claim to be ready in one months time to submit a application for entry into the A-League come expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    call me Old Soccer but I've always wanted to see South Melbourne in the A-league

would love to see Canberra United make it an even dozen

What was the crowd figure from the game in Canberra the other day?
    Heard somewhere FFA was using it as a 'litmus test'.

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    call me Old Soccer but I've always wanted to see South Melbourne in the A-league

would love to see Canberra United make it an even dozen
    Looks like the Tassie bid has major legs and might even be in next year. Brisbane Strikers/ Other bid based in Logan Ipswich could be a great go for 12. I would like to see a second division come in before the top league gets expanded. You could promote out of the second division if they meet stadium criteria etc.

Second Div is where I would like to see them use the NPL clubs but in strategic locations:

NSW/ACT
    Sutherland Sharks/Rockdale/St George
    Wollongong Wolves
    Macarthur/Campbelltown
    Sydney United/Liverpool
    Blacktown
    Penrith/Nepean
    Manly
    Canberra

Vic
    Sth Melbourne
    Melb Knights
    Hume
    Dandenong
    Geelong

QLD:
    Brisbane Strikers/Logan Ipswich (Whichever not already in A League)
    Gold Coast City
    Sunshine Coast
    Fury/Townsville
    Heat/Cairns

SA
    Adelaide City or West Adelaide

WA
    2nd Perth Team

That is 20 teams in a second division after having expanded the A League to 12. Over the course of Maybe 5-10 years you promote teams up until you have 16 in both divisions. Then you start Promotion/Relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    What was the crowd figure from the game in Canberra the other day?
    Heard somewhere FFA was using it as a 'litmus test'.
    about 5,500. pretty disappointing really. record Canberra crowd for the w-league game before hand however.

Canberra is a bit like Newcastle in terms of parochial support. why would they turn up to support two blow in teams?

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    about 5,500. pretty disappointing really. record Canberra crowd for the w-league game before hand however.

Canberra is a bit like Newcastle in terms of parochial support. why would they turn up to support two blow in teams?
    little promotion of the game
    Two teams at bottom of the table
    Burnt before when Canberra bid was ignored for WSW

Canberra has done more than enough to show support for the game for Socceroos and Asian Cup games. Give them a team already.
    However I don't think they will this time around. I am betting they will go for a second Brisbane team and whichever other bid has strongest backing.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    Looks like the Tassie bid has major legs and might even be in next year.
    FFA ruled out Tassie last week after the two met. ?

Expansion won't be outside Syd, Melb and Brisbane.

FFA will play it "safe" with big markets, won't take a punt on "regional" teams like Canberra and Tasmania due to the failures of NQF, GCU, CCM and the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    FFA ruled out Tassie last week after the two met. ?
    http://outside90.com/tasmania-close-...-league-entry/

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/42...n-bid/?cs=2439

"An FFA spokesman confirmed that a meeting with representatives of a Tasmania bid took place in Sydney where it is understood the governing body decided against granting the state its first professional football team of any code and signposted the criteria for a successful bid"

Sounds like the two are saying two very different things lol

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    Expansion won't be outside Syd, Melb and Brisbane.

FFA will play it "safe" with big markets, won't take a punt on "regional" teams like Canberra and Tasmania due to the failures of NQF, GCU, CCM and the Jets.

Calling the Jets failures.. Sounds like a ban to me. GTFO hey. I'm big on bagging the shit outta this club and being as negative as the next **** but i'll be sure as shit angry when some rando calls them failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Calling the Jets failures.. Sounds like a ban to me. GTFO hey. I'm big on bagging the shit outta this club and being as negative as the next **** but i'll be sure as shit angry when some rando calls them failures.
    Off the pitch we're a cluster****. On the pitch we have been for years.

Can't argue with FACTS