Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Because from year two when the first A-League team goes down everyone in the 2nd div will be outspent.

You guys are telling me the 2nd div is there to get teams into the A-League aren't you?

Well wouldnt they have to be better than A-league level teams to get there?

and of course they wouldn't be spending $18.5m in div 2. but they sure as hell won't be spend $1m either. Even if it's half, isn't the jump from $1m to 6,7,8 or 9 still a big jump?

(Obviously not for zillionaires like Hawk).

Actually it just seems like we have very differing opinions on what this 2nd div should look like.

Why don't you jot me down some points on what you expect it to be to help out.
    This post makes too much sense, What is it doing on the Foz ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    This post makes too much sense, What is it doing on the Foz ?
    Sorry, but I took my meds this morning, this is a sad by product.

but (sadly) it seems I'm a racist though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Some people need to read the thread as to why clubs like South Melbourne and Sydney United would find it hard.....it isn't about business nous, money or capacity to field a competitive team.

It is perception of the general sporting public and media to these clubs. One chant of "Hellas" at Middle Park would wipe everything.
    Why should this matter in a multicultural country like Australia in the 21st century where we have a foreign flag (the Union Jack) as part of our flag?....just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Because from year two when the first A-League team goes down everyone in the 2nd div will be outspent.

You guys are telling me the 2nd div is there to get teams into the A-League aren't you?

Well wouldnt they have to be better than A-league level teams to get there?

and of course they wouldn't be spending $18.5m in div 2. but they sure as hell won't be spend $1m either. Even if it's half, isn't the jump from $1m to 6,7,8 or 9 still a big jump?
    Err no, they only have to be better than the teams in their division. Aren't you familiar with how promotion and relegation works?

And the jump from $1M to $6M is pretty easy when its all accounted for with TV money. Add in extra sponsors from the additional exposure and you have a team with a comparable budget to the Mariners or Roar....

For Plague's benefit, this is how I would envisage a 2nd division:

There are currently 90 NPL clubs in Australia.

Tenders would be put out and the best of these, performance and facilities wise, as well as ensuring a geographical spread would be placed into the second division i.e something like this

1. Canberra Olympic (ACT Champions - have their own stadium)
    2. Sydney Utd (NSW Champions, own stadium)
    3. Blacktown City (NSW R/u, excellent facilities)
    4. Edgeworth (NNSW Champions)
    5. Brisbane Strikers (QLD Champions, own stadium)
    6. Gold Coast City (QLD r/u - could use GC stadium?)
    7. Adelaide City (SA Champions, own stadium)
    8. Devonport (TAS champions)
    9. Bentleigh Greens (VIC Champions)
    10. Heidelberg (VIC R/u, own stadium)
    11. South Melbourne (VIC 3rd, own stadium)
    12. Perth SC (WA Champions, own stadium)
    13. Wollongong Wolves (geographical importance and facilities)

Other potentials given their facilities and past success: Melbourne Knights, Canberra FC, Bonnyrigg, Sydney Olympic, APIA, Hakoah, Hamilton, Broadmeadow, West Adelaide, South Hobart, ECU

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    Err no, they only have to be better than the teams in their division. Aren't you familiar with how promotion and relegation works?

And the jump from $1M to $6M is pretty easy when its all accounted for with TV money. Add in extra sponsors from the additional exposure and you have a team with a comparable budget to the Mariners or Roar....
    This

Recently read that with the new TV deal there have been estimates that the salary cap could increase substantially too.

Tenders would be put out and the best of these, performance and facilities wise, as well as ensuring a geographical spread would be placed into the second division i.e something like this

Other potentials given their facilities and past success: Melbourne Knights, Canberra FC, Bonnyrigg, Sydney Olympic, APIA, Hakoah, Hamilton, Broadmeadow, West Adelaide, South Hobart, ECU
    I have seen a similiar plan too and even ones where there are two conferences (a Northern and a Southern) which would obviously reduce travelling costs.
    That's the thing with including established clubs, you would be able to hit the ground running sooner rather then later. Whereas if you start a process of trying to create more new franchises from nothing, this could years to get up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Why should this matter in a multicultural country like Australia in the 21st century where we have a foreign flag (the Union Jack) as part of our flag?....just sayin
    I keep saying again and again that true Australian football fans like us on here will have NO problem with these clubs getting in. We've lived it before.

And again I say the issue is general public perception....I guarantee Channel Nein would report "Greek backed club Sth Melbourne win A-League spot". Australia is becoming very xenophobic.

what happens to a club that's in the a league that's turnover is $6mil but then next season has to operate on a budget of $1

Other Geographical significant clubs would be FNQ Heat, NQ Fury, Ipswich area (Western Pride?), Sunny Coast, Macarthur Rams/Campbelltown, Sutherland Sharks, Dandenong, Geelong. Also I know you put Devonport in there coz they won the Tas league but the town is 30,000. It would be like Orange getting a team. If Tassie come in you would have to base it in Hobart, if You use South Hobart then so be it.

oh my dear lord you can't toss out the 'do you even internet bruh' when you haven't read the post properly.

But ill give you a pass on this one because you're not a silly person, you read it wrong.

To explain:
    In season 1 of promotion/relegation one of the A-League teams gets relegated correct?
    OK lets say its the Jets (because the Jets are trash), and lets say The Melbourne Knights get promoted.
    So we now have one former A-League team in the 2nd div in year 2 yeah?

So now the likes of the rest of the 2nd div will be at a distinct competitive disadvantage if Mr Lee decides to continue spending his (seemingly) vast resources.
    So yes the rest of the 2nd div will be in a tougher position to compete in year 2.

Do you understand what i was getting at now or no?

As far as the Melbourne Knights are concerned (now playing in the A-League), what are your thoughts on the following:
    What stadium should they use?
    What licence fee should they pay (or should they pay one to enter div 2 and how much)?.
    What makes you so confident that they will be able to within one year (although its prob 6 months between end of season 1 and 2) be able to gain increased corporate support and increased revenue streams from other areas? Because in the 10 years of the A-League we've seen club fail time after time to break even especially in areas outside of capital cities.
    Also, where does this $5-6m TV money figure come from? Everything I've read points to a figure closer to $2.5-$2.75m. Thats leaves a lot of tin rattling to get the books balanced.

ok heres a quote from the ffa 2015 tv deal:
    This season FFA will deliver $2.6 million per club which covers the current salary cap as part of the old deal with clubs forced to spend 90 per cent ($2.340 million) for up to 23 players.
    Last edited by plague; 19-10-2016 at 05:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

ta.

Can you put forward your argument for clubs in the 2nd div being allowed to have sub standard* facilities when the original teams had to be compliant from day 1?

*according to A-League criteria
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

I guess one possibility for existing ethnic clubs to move upward into a second division or higher would be if, upon establishment of this division, these existing clubs gained newfound support locally, not just from the traditional supporter base. And from this were able to shake off the "impression" of exclusivity that many may have felt towards it previously. Another way of saying "build it and they will come" I spose. Some local fans may not want to give up time to watch an NPL team, but might be more encouraged to view a better spectacle of nationwide teams and higher quality football.

another interesting part of the deep dive is that there are quite a few references to exactly how South Melbourne are trying to get into the A-League.
    *They were part of a consortium (hmmm just like some on here have suggested) to be the 2nd Melbourne team, but the bid was rejected in favour of the Heart.
    *They tried to buy into the Melbourne Heart (before Citeh group took over) but made clear no change to stripe/colours etc would be made to the existing Heart identity.
    *They tried to buy into the Mariners when things were falling apart but Charlesworth got his house in order and maintained control.

A small sample size of their intentions but this says to me:
    They are happy to be part of a bigger group in order to join the big time (probably realising they can't do it all themselves.
    They are happy to be part of the A-League if it means giving up their 'identity'.

This type of attitude and approach is exactly how i would like the 2nd div to be constructed.
    Seems like I am WRONG

From foxsports
    Northern Fury FC chairman Rabieh Krayem’s A-League expansion, promotion and relegation proposal

Quote Originally Posted by &1gest View Post
    From foxsports
    Northern Fury FC chairman Rabieh Krayem’s A-League expansion, promotion and relegation proposal
    Cheers for posting that.
    See now this is a dude who has done some thinking (and has obviously been in the trenches).
    I agree with about 90% of his plan (and no, no plan can ever be perfect).
    I still have issues surrounding the stadium compliance and licence fees the original A-League clubs had to abide by, and obviously I have a problem with clubs who won't look big picture.

But heck, anyone at least throwing up some viable solutions gets my vote.

It will only be a matter of time before Couscous abandons us to become Nth Qld Furies No#1 fan.

I very much doubt the current HAL clubs will agree to forgo their guarantee of top division football for the introduction of promotion/relegation. Unless there is some kind of $$ encentive.

The solution that the Fury CEO has presented solves that problem. Having an established 2nd Division with promotion to the HAL based off meeting criteria and possibly winning the 2nd Div until the current licence agreements end.

Regarding what teams should be included, you have to think about what is the best option.

A - Clubs like South Melbourne and Sydney United growing to a 10k membership base and meeting the $$$ and facility requirements of a HAL/HBL team.

Or

B - Starting brand new teams in these same areas from scratch with the billionaire/consortium paying the bills.

B worked at the start of the HAL because there was nothing else, and now 11 years later the deep rooted connections have been formed with the new clubs. Even less time for WSW, but the point is, there was a need for freshness back then.

There isn't such a need right now, except of course in a few areas where they are crying out for a national team - Canberra United for example, and they already have a small base with the WPL team.

I think a mixed approach is key, support the high achieving NPL teams to reach HAL and fill the holes in the key areas - Canberra, Geelong etc.
    Last edited by The Postman; 19-10-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

Regarding what teams should be included, you have to think about what is the best option.

A - Clubs like South Melbourne and Sydney United growing to a 10k membership base and meeting the $$$ and facility requirements of a HAL/HBL team.

Or

B - Starting brand new teams in these same areas from scratch with the billionaire/consortium paying the bills.
    good question, and the counter to that could always be "team X only has X members despite history/exposure etc etc when a plastic team like wanderers has way more members due to the model used to create them.

From what I've read South Melbourne are keen as mustard to be involved, and don't seem too hung up on colours/badges etc. Surely the FFA could mash them into the 2nd div and still have it done their way.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Back to expansion.

The way I see it.
    Pro/Rel is a long way off at least 20+ years, but we need to start laying the foundation for the future and stop thinking in 4-5 year cycles. If any of you have time look up the 100 year plan of Japanese football. In short the JFA in the early 90's set the goals to have 100 professional clubs and win the World Cup sometime in the next 100 years. Just over 20 years has past and they are already over half of their goal for 100 professional clubs.

The Second Division needs to be established ASAP.
    From that the A-League can have it's expansion from promoting second division clubs, promotion based on not only on results but also criteria and geography. The FFA can identify clubs/regions it wishes to have in the A-League and said clubs can use the second division to ready itself for the A-League. All the while the remaining second division clubs can use the time to grow and prepare for the eventual implementation of Pro/Rel once all second division are A-League ready.

It just needs some forethought and correct planning but it needs to happen. We need to stop concentrating on 2016-2020 and start thinking were should football be in 2050 and how do we get it there.
    It's like Rabieh reads the foz just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    True, there are NPL teams around that would definitely be looked at in a favourable light to go into a second division, but it would be because they are in a favourable location and are not mono ethnic. Wollongong Wolves and Sutherland Sharks are an example of a team that could realistically go straight into a second division. Gold Coast City, FNQ Heat and NQ Fury as well as the Strikers and maybe Western Pride in Qld. Even Dandenong Thunder in Vic as that area's population is expanding like the Campbelltown/Macarthur area of Sydney
    How is it possible that you wrote exactly what I was thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!