Page 20 of 43 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

and while looking for more excuses to say no...
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/44...osses/?cs=2439
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Here we go...another Sydney derby!

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football...fc5ad4a4de9833

And I bet the "Red Bull" team is in Melbourne.

Another Sydney team is insane when you have a club like Sydney FC leading the league and yet struggling to get fans to their games. WHere are the fans going to come from ? Where are the players going to come from ? You can't use 2nd rate players and be successful - I know this because I've supported the Jets since the A-league started.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Another Sydney team is insane when you have a club like Sydney FC leading the league and yet struggling to get fans to their games. WHere are the fans going to come from ? Where are the players going to come from ? You can't use 2nd rate players and be successful - I know this because I've supported the Jets since the A-league started.
    So where else we putting another side with this desire for expansion??

It a serious question.

The regional sides are not big enough to prosper just look at Jets Nix Gypos now constantly off the pace

We only have 5 major cities and doubling or tripling up is a necessity

So I don't really see any option other than more teams in Sydney/Melbourne

**** red bull --- nien zu rb -- alle bullen sind schweine
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    So where else we putting another side with this desire for expansion??

It a serious question.

The regional sides are not big enough to prosper just look at Jets Nix Gypos now constantly off the pace

We only have 5 major cities and doubling or tripling up is a necessity

So I don't really see any option other than more teams in Sydney/Melbourne
    As much as it pains me to say it I agree. The risk is just far too high to go regional. Anyone who thinks they'll go to Canberra, Tasmania etc in the near future is kidding themselves.

Expansion
    2nd Brisbane
    3rd Sydney

10 team nation wide second division in the next 5 years is a must. Introduction of Pro/Rel once the current 20 year license of the existing A-League clubs finish up.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Expansion
    2nd Brisbane
    3rd Sydney

10 team nation wide second division in the next 5 years is a must. Introduction of Pro/Rel once the current 20 year license of the existing A-League clubs finish up.
    I don't see a 2nd Brisbane being realistic tbh.

IMO the only real answer for expansion is: Wollongong Wolves & South Melbourne FC.

Also, I just don't understand the logistics of a second division, particularly from a $ perspective as well as all the players with their own respective work/life duties. An Australian 2nd division just never has seemed realistic to me.
    OK

The quality of the league now is massively skewed as it is. Bringing in more teams with restrictions on imports, a salary cap, and concessions which favour the most cashed up clubs only doesn't seem like a great idea to me.
    If the FFA gets rid of the restrictions on imports then it might work. But with restrictions on imports and a bastardised version of a salary cap it will no doubt turn to shit.
    If the FFA want to improve the league - fix the referee problem.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 07-03-2017 at 11:42 AM.

moved posts into here from news thread

as far as expansion teams go, needs to be at least one of the next two teams in a metro area but with the number of potentials stepping forward we could get to 18 teams very easily.
    3rd Sydney, 3rd Melbourne, 2nd Brisbane, Wollongong, Tasmania, Geelong, Auckland City, Canberra.
    Then you establish the 2nd division from existing NPL clubs and any other interested new entities (ie Gold Coast, Townsville, 2nd Perth, 2nd Adelaide, etc)

Issue is going to be the TV deal and the money involved as I foresee that the salary cap will need to be abolished inside of ten years and the clubs need to be getting some decent income.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    moved posts into here from news thread

as far as expansion teams go, needs to be at least one of the next two teams in a metro area but with the number of potentials stepping forward we could get to 18 teams very easily.
    3rd Sydney, 3rd Melbourne, 2nd Brisbane, Wollongong, Tasmania, Geelong, Auckland City, Canberra.
    Then you establish the 2nd division from existing NPL clubs and any other interested new entities (ie Gold Coast, Townsville, 2nd Perth, 2nd Adelaide, etc)

Issue is going to be the TV deal and the money involved as I foresee that the salary cap will need to be abolished inside of ten years and the clubs need to be getting some decent income.
    I don't see the salary cap going anywhere

Since the start of the HAL it has benefited the players by having clubs forced to over pay salaries

The players union isn't gonna want it gone as it sees their shit **** reps all overpaid

You take it back to market value and Gyos Jets Nix all slash their wage spend

Adelaide Roar reign there spend in

So there is half the comps players getting less cash

People can choose to not see the feasibility in a second division but like it or not it's going to come down to a necessity.
    AFC and FIFA are already pressuring FFA to get Promotion and Relegation sorted. It's in FFA and the Australian Footballing Communities best interest to have a second division sorted ASAP, A-League expansion can also come from established second division clubs.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    I don't see the salary cap going anywhere

Since the start of the HAL it has benefited the players by having clubs forced to over pay salaries

The players union isn't gonna want it gone as it sees their shit **** reps all overpaid

You take it back to market value and Gyos Jets Nix all slash their wage spend

Adelaide Roar reign there spend in

So there is half the comps players getting less cash
    I should clarify my statement. They will abolish the salary cap - but will establish a minimum spend to prevent what you posted from happening.
    Its the max spend cap that will effectively be abolished.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    People can choose to not see the feasibility in a second division but like it or not it's going to come down to a necessity.
    AFC and FIFA are already pressuring FFA to get Promotion and Relegation sorted. It's in FFA and the Australian Footballing Communities best interest to have a second division sorted ASAP, A-League expansion can also come from established second division clubs.
    Who is going to go watch 2nd division games, the attendance (and particularly the TV viewer numbers) for 1st division games is already bad enough.

Also it's going to be suuuuper shit when we (jerks) come last, get demoted, put faith in a shit coach & never get back up to 1st division. Just kills football in newy, again.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Who is going to go watch 2nd division games, the attendance (and particularly the TV viewer numbers) for 1st division games is already bad enough.

Also it's going to be suuuuper shit when we (jerks) come last, get demoted, put faith in a shit coach & never get back up to 1st division. Just kills football in newy, again.
    I for one would go.
    However I'll state it again it won’t come down to the fact if FFA want to do it, it will come down the fact that FFA will be forced to do it. Its best to get our house in order before we are forced to do so.
    FFA are already on the nose with FIFA over there dictatorship style of governance, how long do you expect AFC and FIFA to keep listening to the whole "oh yeah well we're planning to do that soon".
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I see a fair few logistical issues with a second div but why can't it be a short style league. Say 5 teams with 10 games. Played over one/two months. Venue is the same for each matchday. Would reduce running costs. Winner gets promoted. I would think there would be a fair bit of interest being such a short and sweet comp. Just throwing the thought out there.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post

I think this is the real reason we haven't seen any firm plans on a second division yet.
    FFA will already know that there are current clubs who could out play 1st division clubs now, and there would be the very real possibility that a current A-League club could drop a division, not be able to fund itself in recruitment and coaching to make it's way back up, and thus killing off the junior pathways for a region.

Could you imagine a point where Jets, Nix, Gypos all dropped below the line and only strong Melbourne clubs were promoted. We'd end up with a top flight "National" competition that's only played within 1 or 2 states.

After that, your advertising dollars just start to fall away rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyKplunk View Post
    We'd end up with a top flight "National" competition that's only played within 1 or 2 states.
    Tbf it works for NRL & AFL
    OK

Expansion teams:
    Wolves and Geelong. Neither Sydney FC and City can fill a ground unless its a derby so adding another team to the mix in those cities will not improve crowds. Nice rectangular grounds with 15k to 20k crowd capacity. New audience. If not those two, the a Tassie team for the same reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Expansion teams:
    Neither Sydney FC and City can fill a ground unless its a derby so adding another team to the mix in those cities will not improve crowds.
    umm?