Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Double Eff Aye already announced that the 2nd New Zealand team will be based in either Sydney or Melbourne.
    couldn't convince fox sports that auckland was "eastern Sydney".

But wouldn't this constitute another Derby? That's criteria 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    But wouldn't this constitute another Derby? That's criteria 1
    i have noticed on the fox podcasts that they all still refer to western united as "western melbourne"

Northern Sydney Mariners anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    If you thought SFC squealed like a stuck pig with the southern city option was floated, it would be as loud or louder with this idea.

However, Fox would love it! 4 Sydney teams, Derby, derby derby!!!!
    "It is not that I am afraid to die; its just that I don't want to be there when it happens" - Woody Allen

reckon that is probably the only thing that will save the c***s, prob play twice a season at Gashford as a token, will stab their gypo supporters in the heart to see it, just hope we aren't next though...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetfireV8 View Post
    reckon that is probably the only thing that will save the c***s, prob play twice a season at Gashford as a token, will stab their gypo supporters in the heart to see it, just hope we aren't next though...
    Northern Northern Sydney Jets

Didn't they try this without actually saying it when Charlesworth first took over? I remember them taking a couple of games to North Sydney Oval which did f*ck all to help their attendances and the FFA (probably at the request of Sydney FC) put an end to it pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    Didn't they try this without actually saying it when Charlesworth first took over? I remember them taking a couple of games to North Sydney Oval which did f*ck all to help their attendances and the FFA (probably at the request of Sydney FC) put an end to it pretty quickly.
    Yeah, there were problems with the pitch etc

As long as the Mariners exist it won't die - not until they sell up and move somewhere else. SFC can whinge all they want - they don't have that many fans. I've been on a Northern line train game day - a couple of Smurfs here and there.

As long as the Mariners exist it won't die - not until they sell up and move somewhere else.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - surely the league and society in general would be better off with a Canberra team than a Gosford one.

Take the license, burn all records of the Mariners ever existing and piss on the ashes, give said licence to Canberra for them to start fresh with. It's win-win for all concerned.

There's never been enough support for the Mariners at Gosford. Didn't matter where they were on the table home support was always lacking other than school holidays when there was an influx of visitors to the area.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - surely the league and society in general would be better off with a Canberra team than a Gosford one.

Take the license, burn all records of the Mariners ever existing and piss on the ashes, give said licence to Canberra for them to start fresh with. It's win-win for all concerned.
    i mean, we dont necessarily 'need' to have Canberra to get rid of the gypos.
    Just take a match, spark it up and set that hell hole on fire.

sure sure, if something good comes of it thats dope, but lets not lose focus here. **** the gypos.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/06/2...-in-two-years/

New frontiers coming boys.

#forever7th #2nddiv

Finally, a Canberra A2-League team.

Does anybody else think a 2nd division sounds good on paper, but fears Newcastle will fail to have a team within a decade of implementation and long term could be detrimental to a "national" league.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    but fears Newcastle will fail to have a team within a decade of implementation and long term could be detrimental to a "national" league.
    huh?

The Hellas Magical Jaffas will be a boss team to go watch at Myer Park on a lazy sunday arvo take on the Bonnyrigg XXXXX* Eagles.

Already have a Jaffas shaped hat on order.

*sorry they had to change their name because it was too racess for the Double Eff Aye.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Does anybody else think a 2nd division sounds good on paper, but fears Newcastle will fail to have a team within a decade of implementation and long term could be detrimental to a "national" league.
    It's difficult enough to gain sponsorship / corporate interest in a first tier national competition in Australia - for a 2nd tier competition it's going to be near impossible.
    I think short term a 2nd division team in a big city will get some backing if they look capable of breaking into the 1st tier. But ultimately, I think those outside of the big cities will be too much of a risk for potential sponsors - which will ultimately make opportunities to move up a division difficult.
    The weaker teams in the top tier will also struggle to get sponsorship as well. But with a 2nd tier to fall into they become an even higher risk prospect to backers / investors[sic]. That being the case, I can see the bottom of the 1st tier teams being more cash starved than they are now.
    At best 2nd tier teams will ultimately be relying on first tier teams to fail for them to enter the top tier - and I can see the same teams going back and forth assuming they don't simply fold from investing too much in a lost cause.
    The only ones to benefit will be the big city teams until of course the entire comp becomes a complete joke and nobody wants to watch it - much like the NSL.

I honestly can't see the A-league lasting another 15 years.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 21-06-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Canberra failed in the past to attract crowds why do you think this time would be any different ?

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/06/2...-in-two-years/

New frontiers coming boys.

#forever7th #2nddiv

https://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/20..._June_2019.pdf

Here's the White Paper for anyone interested. The recommendations suggest second division teams stadiums "should include a minimum capacity of 5,000 and a maximum capacity of 15,000 and provide the best opportunity for clubs to provide a good atmosphere within the stadium". Anyone know of stadia in the Newcastle area that would fit this bill? It sounds like a mightily expensive exercise for anyone wanting to meet the criteria. Who is going to pay for this???

How good is it that the Double Eff Aye dragged its feet for 15 years on this then the minute they have to transfer power of the comp over to the owners, they pop up with, "heres your comp, and oh, we gonna start relegating the **** out of y'all".

Such a shitshow, full of petty creatures hell bent on doing anything except the best thing for the game.

Clowns.
    Seems like I am WRONG