Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

To sort that AFC v Oceania shit, common sense always told me Asia and Oceania should merge then split into 2 confederations: West Asia and East Asia. So Middle East, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, old soviet federations in the west, Burma, Mongolia, and east Asia / Oceania in the East. Makes it roughly 28 countries in each side.... Then Nix stay in the AL.... And 2 in each confederation qualify for WC + a play off spot between east and west....
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    To sort that AFC v Oceania shit, common sense always told me Asia and Oceania should merge then split into 2 confederations: West Asia and East Asia. So Middle East, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, old soviet federations in the west, Burma, Mongolia, and east Asia / Oceania in the East. Makes it roughly 28 countries in each side.... Then Nix stay in the AL.... And 2 in each confederation qualify for WC + a play off spot between east and west....
    Common sense in AFC and FIFA? Australia, Japan, South Korea and China won't want to lose a possible 2 WC spots to the Middle East. Look at the past 2 WCs, you've had Australia, S.Korea and Japan in both, and Iran and N.Korea making up the other spot.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Common sense in AFC and FIFA? Australia, Japan, South Korea and China won't want to lose a possible 2 WC spots to the Middle East. Look at the past 2 WCs, you've had Australia, S.Korea and Japan in both, and Iran and N.Korea making up the other spot.
    What I said above is what I think would be fair... But I am quite aware it won't happen for obvious reasons you raised....
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

That half spot that ociena have isn't always a playoff against Asia either, so it can't be assumed the 5 spots would stay.

That half spot seems to go to who ever goes to Fifa with the biggest pile of cash.

lower level first rounds qualifications can be split into east and west
    then combine for the next rounds

They should put an A-League team in Newcastle.

Probably will never happen but I had some time to kill and came up with this

- 12 Teams - 2 Divisions
    - Top 3 in each Division make the finals, next 2 highest place regardless of Division make it 8 teams total, single elimination
    - More teams make the finals which means more incentive to play quality football all year and hopefully less pointless games come the final rounds
    - Play Division teams 4 times, out of division teams 2 times = 32 Games total
    - My hypothetical divisions are based on location and feature a lot derbies
    - And rely on no Wellington and introduction of South Coast, Canberra and a second Brisbane team
    - Could always split the divisions and have 3 'NSW' teams and 3 out of state teams
    - Schedule would include things such as Perth playing both Brisbane teams Away in consecutive weeks to avoid some travel

Newcastle
    Central Coast
    Sydney FC
    WSW
    "South Coast"
    "Canberra"

Victory
    City
    Perth
    Adelaide
    Brisbane
    "Brisbane"

I still reckon the South American style apertura clausura two seasons in one would be good.

Ppl really need to get over this no NZ teams in a league - NZ is approx 4 Mil more potential football supporters if NZFA can ever get their act together and work with the FFA to promote the league as a joint venture.
    The way I see things, we have to begin expansion soon or risk the competition becoming stale and the general public lose complete interest.
    In the next 2-3 seasons we need to launch teams in Brisbane/Ipswich and Wollongong.
    In the next 5-7 seasons we should be launching teams in Sth Melbourne/Geelong, Canberra, Christchurch/Dunedin, Sth Sydney.
    In the next 10-15 seasons we should then be able to launch teams in North Sydney and Fremantle and possibly FNQ and Tasmania.

Voila 20 teams, derbies all over the place and regional centres serviced and not left out.
    After the 10 year mark, you let the second tier (NPL) clubs work towards being able to qualify for a-league status and then introduce promotion & relegation maybe only one or two teams for at least ten years after that.

This is of course is assuming that the tv deals increase and clubs can stabilise themselves.
    Last edited by furns; 28-10-2015 at 08:16 PM.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Some of these suggestions from you mob are pretty stupid.

1. Cut the league to 4 teams, 2 in Sydney 2 in Melbourne.

2. Play derbies every week.

3 ???????

4. Profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
    Probably will never happen but I had some time to kill and came up with this

- 12 Teams - 2 Divisions
    - Top 3 in each Division make the finals, next 2 highest place regardless of Division make it 8 teams total, single elimination
    - More teams make the finals which means more incentive to play quality football all year and hopefully less pointless games come the final rounds
    - Play Division teams 4 times, out of division teams 2 times = 32 Games total
    - My hypothetical divisions are based on location and feature a lot derbies
    - And rely on no Wellington and introduction of South Coast, Canberra and a second Brisbane team
    - Could always split the divisions and have 3 'NSW' teams and 3 out of state teams
    - Schedule would include things such as Perth playing both Brisbane teams Away in consecutive weeks to avoid some travel

Newcastle
    Central Coast
    Sydney FC
    WSW
    "South Coast"
    "Canberra"

Victory
    City
    Perth
    Adelaide
    Brisbane
    "Brisbane"
    Sydney FC vs Victory is one of the top 3, with Sydney derby and Melbourne derby, as the biggest money spinner they have. Splitting the comp and potentially losing that game for the season if one of the teams under performs would be worst case scenario for FFA and those clubs. I doubt you would find a single supporter of something like that in the league
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Some of these suggestions from you mob are pretty stupid.

1. Cut the league to 4 teams, 2 in Sydney 2 in Melbourne.

2. Play derbies every week.

3 ???????

4. Profit.

gallop gets in another kick...http://www.theguardian.com/football/...on-to-a-league

Gallop said the New Zealand franchise had failed to perform well enough “on any metric” to guarantee their future...“We’re ambitious for the growth of the A-League. You can’t expect to just squat on a licence in our competition”...Gallop named crowds, TV ratings and membership as the crucial metrics, while acknowledging their on-field contribution was irrelevant to the decision.
    also
    Gallop admitted FFA were researching areas that could support a new club, including “looking carefully” at another potential team in Sydney.

another team in Sydney will stuff up SydFC's metrics

Personally I think it's a good move. Potential to tap into a large market. More derbys which creates added interest in the game and + in membership. If based in Sydney will add to travelling away fans which means more $ through the gates of Jets home matches. I really don't get why everyone gets so strung up on having another Sydney team.

Another Sydney team, Is it really going to find new followers to come the game or just shift sand from the two existing clubs ?.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Another Sydney team, Is it really going to find new followers to come the game or just shift sand from the two existing clubs ?.
    I think the sand will be shifted. For me, Woollongong is the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I think the sand will be shifted. For me, Woollongong is the market.
    Problem is the joint is no bigger than Gypo land and even when they were winning no **** turned up there. Not enough of a support base for the Gong on it's own

We need another 2 teams cause I need more games to watch and Fox will pay more $.

Keep nix cause thats good adverts for football in NZ. Add the Shire quick then pick some hovel place for 12th team. Any place/region that can keep a core 8k crowd turning up

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    then pick some hovel place for 12th team. Any place/region that can keep a core 8k crowd turning up
    Did someone mention Canberra?