Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The A-League Expansion Thread

Syd/Mel set the rules...who remembers when Newcastle Rosebud got relegated, after coming 6th!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Syd/Mel set the rules...who remembers when Newcastle Rosebud got relegated, after coming 6th!!!
    Yes. 1986 and APIA Tigers who finished 7th avoided relegation - is that right ? Following year APIA won the league.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 13-10-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    In other words parents of kids playing junior football at all levels are going to be subsidising the senior teams. Business as usual then. I mean blokes who essentially can't aim up now are making $1000 a game. Put them in a competition with supposedly more status and they will want double that.

The comedy to follow will be immense.
    So kids parents paying the wages of suits and "coaches" in a 3 tiered outdated and redundant governance system is completely fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    So kids parents paying the wages of suits and "coaches" in a 3 tiered outdated and redundant governance system is completely fine.
    I'm with you on this Premy not against. To me though it's still meet the new boss same as the old boss.

In other words parents of kids playing junior football at all levels are going to be subsidising the senior teams. Business as usual then. I mean blokes who essentially can't aim up now are making $1000 a game. Put them in a competition with supposedly more status and they will want double that.

The comedy to follow will be immense.
    Dead right!

few points I consider when talking about pro/rel
    If the jets got relegated and could not get back up into the a league how can you grow the game in the hunter area without a top flight team? what damage does it do to football overall in the area that is growing
    im for expansion and pro/rel but I just don't think Australia is ready for it
    think of every team that has come last since inception and replace that team with a big NPL Sydney or Melb club (that's where the promoted teams are most likely to come from) you will have an aleague with 4 Sydney teams 4 melb teams a team from Brisbane and Perth etc

How many a league clubs who already struggle financially would fold straight after relegation?
    how many plastic fans would abandon their club after relegation and potentially abandon football altogether with no top flight team in the area anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Nou Camp View Post
    If the jets got relegated and could not get back up into the a league how can you grow the game in the hunter area without a top flight team? what damage does it do to football overall in the area that is growing
    think of every team that has come last since inception and replace that team with a big NPL Sydney or Melb club (that's where the promoted teams are most likely to come from) you will have an aleague with 4 Sydney teams 4 melb teams a team from Brisbane and Perth etc

How many a league clubs who already struggle financially would fold straight after relegation?
    how many plastic fans would abandon their club after relegation and potentially abandon football altogether with no top flight team in the area anymore
    Agree but I think expanding to 14 teams in the A league is the first priority, and you could not have Pro/Rel without a closed off national 2nd divison

Quote Originally Posted by The Camel View Post
    Agree but I think expanding to 14 teams in the A league is the first priority, and you could not have Pro/Rel without a closed off national 2nd divison
    I'd be surprised if another 4 teams could be found ? The bigger non a-league clubs do just fine the way things are why would they want to flush that away to join a competition which is full of uncertainty?

They have the FFA cup to show what they can do and so far it's demonstrated just how far off the pace they are - and that's in a format which suits them. On a week to week basis none of the old NSL clubs that remain in some form or another could step in and be competitive over an entire season. Sure they could buy players but where from ?

Add to this the fact that we don't have enough quality refs for a ten team comp - where are the refs coming from for the extra two fixtures ?

Auckland, Fury, Gold Coast, Jets, and Mariners, to name a few... have either been kicked out or should have been so far for financial reasons - how will adding four more teams not result in more of the same or worse.

We don't need to be bossed about by the Asian confederation either - they need Australia in there and they know it. We should do what's best for us and ignore what is best for Asia if it's not in our best interest.

Alternatively - get rid of the salary cap, have no restrictions on foreign players, increase access for gaming / gambling - and let the market decide what the game is worth once and for all.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 13-10-2016 at 03:59 PM.

how are they growing the damn thing at the moment with the shitrabble they toss out there every week?
    Last edited by plague; 13-10-2016 at 05:38 PM.

This.

We should get 2 extra teams before relo for mine. South Sydney Shire, Canberra, Taz or whoever can stump up a min 5yr deal.

if they cant produce on the field they don't deserve the protection that no relegation provides them.
    if they get relegated and go bust, they'll be replaced by another team with their own set of fans.

eventually you get a second tier that is fighting for promotion, so they become stronger, and they are then able to "survive" dropping back down.

we need pro/rel to stop the a-league clubs from being even more complacent, and to stop the NPL clubs from giving up all hope - look what Marconi have done, they've no chance to get to the big league so they've banked their cash and are waiting in the lower leagues till pro/rel becomes reality and then they'll start investing in the team again.

neither NPL or A-league clubs need to invest in their football, the top tier have no fear of being dropped, and the lower tier have no hope of being able to sit at the big table.

if the jets got punted, then it'd be up to Magic, or Edgeworth, or whoever sits in the second tier to build a support base that is strong enough to see the club step up successfully. uif that means the hunter doesn't have a team in the top tier, that's fine, because it'd mean a better footballing team is in there in their place. Ina salary capped league a Melbourne/Sydney centric league would be less likely, when clubs are given the incentive to invest in the footballing departments to avoid relegation

pro-rel is needed - but will only work if the second teir - and maybe even a third (perhaps based on geography) are set up first, but it needs to happen quickly before the gap between full time professionals and amateur football becomes too much wider.
    itwould also need to be supported by a very big TV deal, that see relgated clubs supported as is the case in Ingurland
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

stadiums would be the biggest issue.

Jets go down who pays the rent at Hunter Stadium?

No chance they cover costs.

im a big supporter of the promotion relegation, but some real talk needs to be had before its viable.

Marconi gonna invest in their ground to make it an all seater/lighting compatible with only a 1 year guarantee?

i say no, so where does that leave us?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    if they cant produce on the field they don't deserve the protection that no relegation provides them.
    if they get relegated and go bust, they'll be replaced by another team with their own set of fans.

eventually you get a second tier that is fighting for promotion, so they become stronger, and they are then able to "survive" dropping back down.

we need pro/rel to stop the a-league clubs from being even more complacent, and to stop the NPL clubs from giving up all hope - look what Marconi have done, they've no chance to get to the big league so they've banked their cash and are waiting in the lower leagues till pro/rel becomes reality and then they'll start investing in the team again.

neither NPL or A-league clubs need to invest in their football, the top tier have no fear of being dropped, and the lower tier have no hope of being able to sit at the big table.

if the jets got punted, then it'd be up to Magic, or Edgeworth, or whoever sits in the second tier to build a support base that is strong enough to see the club step up successfully. uif that means the hunter doesn't have a team in the top tier, that's fine, because it'd mean a better footballing team is in there in their place. Ina salary capped league a Melbourne/Sydney centric league would be less likely, when clubs are given the incentive to invest in the footballing departments to avoid relegation

pro-rel is needed - but will only work if the second teir - and maybe even a third (perhaps based on geography) are set up first, but it needs to happen quickly before the gap between full time professionals and amateur football becomes too much wider.
    itwould also need to be supported by a very big TV deal, that see relgated clubs supported as is the case in Ingurland
    Hysteresis and the failure of the Efficient Markets Hypothesis to explain empirical data suggests FFA are not even close on this one.

Markets do not work like the fairytale TV / Texbook version a lot of people get. When they go under they damage the entire system - not just parts of it.

Football is the premier code in England and Europe. In Australia it's barely third tier making investment very difficult to find.

If a team fails here communities suffer and the effects don't go away overnight.

The idea that teams will be replaced by better ones and so on is just not supported.

With respect to investment all the data says that investment is linked to income. Income increases so to investment. Cost of investment in isolation has little to no meaning at all.
    The only reason any business invests is because income has increased and they see an opportunity to put their fingers into the pie.
    I cannot see how increasing the number of teams would attract investment in the league.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 13-10-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    stadiums would be the biggest issue.

Jets go down who pays the rent at Hunter Stadium?

No chance they cover costs.

im a big supporter of the promotion relegation, but some real talk needs to be had before its viable.

Marconi gonna invest in their ground to make it an all seater/lighting compatible with only a 1 year guarantee?

i say no, so where does that leave us?

and the only way that could end is with Con, at the helm of his paddle steamer, valiantly rescuing our damsel in distress.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

I'd be surprised if another 4 teams could be found ? The bigger non a-league clubs do just fine the way things are why would they want to flush that away to join a competition which is full of uncertainty?

They have the FFA cup to show what they can do and so far it's demonstrated just how far off the pace they are - and that's in a format which suits them. On a week to week basis none of the old NSL clubs that remain in some form or another could step in and be competitive over an entire season. Sure they could buy players but where from ?

Add to this the fact that we don't have enough quality refs for a ten team comp - where are the refs coming from for the extra two fixtures ?

Auckland, Fury, Gold Coast, Jets, and Mariners, to name a few... have either been kicked out or should have been so far for financial reasons - how will adding four more teams not result in more of the same or worse.

We don't need to be bossed about by the Asian confederation either - they need Australia in there and they know it. We should do what's best for us and ignore what is best for Asia if it's not in our best interest.

Alternatively - get rid of the salary cap, have no restrictions on foreign players, increase access for gaming / gambling - and let the market decide what the game is worth once and for all.
    What a load of nonsense. Add four or five imports to South Melbourne, plus one or two they pinch of other A league clubs and they would be very competative. Ditto with Adelaide City, 2nd Brisbane team any number of Sydney teams or other Melbourne teams. I would say you could find more than 4 teams. The problem the FFA has is outside the bigger cities (Sydney/Melbourne) you have problems attracting crowds.

No problem with NSL clubs getting competent sides on the park. It's off the field the problems will be - can you honestly believe that South Melbourne will have a support base in Melbourne that is not of a Greek majority? Can they change that demographic because they have been saying they will for the last 20 years (right back to the Lakers days) and I still hear the "Hellas" chant. Same applies to Marconi, Sydney United and Melbourne Knights.

Football fans won't see this as a problem but the general media and sporting public will see it as a return to "wogball" and a Sydney/Melbourne focussed competition. This is why I want FFA to step up in their support for CCM, the Jets and other regional sides - they are truly needed. You lose us two and bring in SM and Marconi and you take a huge step backward.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Football fans won't see this as a problem but the general media and sporting public will see it as a return to "wogball" and a Sydney/Melbourne focussed competition.
    This post here is all the truth and knowledge you need.

The only way it will work is if the second tier comp is made up of new plastic rebranded clubs that have no obvious connection to the old school clubs.
    Might work, might not, but we sure as heck ain't getting the words 'Marconi' of 'olympic' in the top flight of football in this country ever again.

It has the potential to **** our rivarly up with the gypos.

We need to expand first. Southern sydney/gong, canberra and geelong. Brisbane if they can get a second stadium 15-20k in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdylan View Post
    It has the potential to **** our rivarly up with the gypos.

We need to expand first. Southern sydney/gong, canberra and geelong. Brisbane if they can get a second stadium 15-20k in the west.
    Why would it **** our rivalry up? We're both shit and will maintain our rivalry in the second division without issue.