Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football Kits Thread

The Football Kits Thread

a thread to post random kits from anywhere in the world.

this particular kit caught my eye:

Ingenious Soccer Jerseys Will Make You Donate Blood

Vitória, a second-division Brazilian football club, has new kits for the upcoming season that caught our attention — although not solely due to their design.

The club typically plays in red and black uniforms, but they’ll be starting the season in black jerseys with horizontal white stripes. That might be unsettling to fans, who are used to the team, nicknamed the “Red and Blacks,” having red stripes, but there’s a reason for the alteration: the club is promoting blood donation, and the stripes will be filled in red as the amount of blood given increases. When the first goal is reached, the bottom stripe will become red, then the next stripe after the next goal is reached, and so on, until all four stripes are red and the jerseys are back to normal. We’re guessing some people will be helped along the way.

Lots of folks complain about the commercialization of soccer jerseys (what with their advertisements and all) but there aren’t going to be any ads at all on these jerseys. And while second-division football may have initiated the idea, we wouldn’t be surprised if this caught on on a larger scale: it’s almost undoubtedly going to draw in donors, and it will probably be great for jersey sales, too.
    this is absolutely amazing.
    OK

when robbie&jarryd decide we can one day look into fan-input for jerks kits, i'll be putting something like that ^ forward as my idea, i've decided.
    OK

Ingenious! I really hope it encourages new donors. What a fantastic idea

Aleague should do it.
    Us, Melbourne heart, Adelaide, west Sydney re-jets, all have kits they could do it with.

Liverpool's third kit

Quote Originally Posted by OmeletteDuFromage View Post

Liverpool's third kit
    Well pv4 I was wrong. It does have the tribal crap. Couldn't tell from the pic I posted in another thread.

bayern third (class):

zenit st petersburg home (class):

zenit away (class):

OK

I'd get the Bayern one for sure

Zenit's look like star trek suits, or thunderbirds.

http://instagram.com/p/M-7uWDKvwr/

New Spurs kit is ****ing sexy

sperms keeper kit is a real stinker though

OK

cska moscow home:

OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    sperms keeper kit is a real stinker though
    It does look like its stuck in the 90's BUT did you not see Arsenal's?

cska
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    It does look like its stuck in the 90's BUT did you not see Arsenal's?
    i don't mind arsenals in the sense that it's just one non-clashing colour. as much as it's very, very pink - it's simple.

cska's kit would be perfect for the jerks if we decided to go to adidas or some good brand one day.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by the blue manc View Post
    They got leaked weeks ago see that article about the Brisbane sports store?

From an arsenal website....but he makes some interesting points about kit deign

Could we have an Arsenal kit please?
    Feature by Brian Dawes
    Updated Friday, 13th July 2012

Below you'll see a couple of very crude photoshop attempts that feature the new kits without the sponsorship advertising or the club badges.
    The reason I've done this is that for me the true test of a top quality football shirt design is to remove the badge and advertising logos and then see if you can say which team would wear it. Both these new shirts fail this test miserably in my opinion.

Even though one of the above players is an Arsenal man (not for much longer) that still can't make them look like Arsenal kits to my eyes. The purple jobbie could be anyone's. If you had to guess which team I think you might think it was a Tottenham kit, but only because they've gone down the purple route before. I'd have guessed that its more like a Liverpool shirt because they have a strong tradition of unrelated random colour away kits.

The red, white and blue kit could have been designed for one of GB's Olympic teams or it could more probably be the new US National Soccer team kit. That said I think the design would actually look better over body armour on the sort of kit worn by an NFL team. Whatever.

It can't however be an Arsenal kit because only the shorts and socks look anything like a potential Arsenal kit. Arsenal do white sleeves, they've never done huge hoops on the sleeves and certainly would never consider blue hoops. Likewise you've never in your life seen a head and shoulders shot of an Arsenal player wearing a red shirt with a blue collar, because we've never worn those colours.

I happen to think both kit designs are really good designs, but as designs for random football clubs somewhere else on the planet, anywhere else other than Arsenal. If they didn't have the badge and sponsorship branding slapped on them would you even recognise them as belonging to our Club? Obviously you would now because you're familiar with the shirts, but does either design shout Arsenal at you? For me they shout not an Arsenal shirt, because the overall kit matters not when it comes to shirt sales, no in the marketing department is banking on the socks and shorts sales.

Unlike some I don't blame Nike because someone somewhere in the Club had to sign off on these designs. Clearly it was no one who appreciated the Arsenal traditions. Someone had to propose a design brief, although quite what that was is hard to say judging from the results. And when Nike came up with the proposals someone with the aid of a white stick had to choose from a range of styles. I'm all for equal opportunities but I really don't believe Arsenal kits should be chosen by using braille.

So I won't be buying either of them, because both shirts, which I might have purchased, fail totally as Arsenal shirts for me. Quite apart from which I'm not even sure the geezer on the right even looks like an Arsenal player.

Courtesy of The Highbury Library
    I like his reasoning behind "test of a true kit".... But does it really only work for clubs with distinctive kits... Arsenal's red torso with white sleeves is not used by many other clubs.....

if you used his test to look to Leeds, spurs, England, real Madrid, surely they'd look incredibly similar..... Or a manutd shirt next to liverpool one. As too would be comparing almost any other clubs that start with the same base design... Crystal palace, us, barca, basel....
    Last edited by GazFish35; 14-07-2012 at 08:34 AM.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    this is the worst season I can recall for new kits (and I've been following football since 1990) - so many ugly, ugly kits

for sheer stupidity of management to even consider using their opposition colour, the new Inter away kit has to be my choice of the worst

- article on it (and others) here

I'm still undecided on the ugliest, though that Liverpool purple monstrosity is getting worse each time I look at it