Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are we in this predicament?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Not necessarily. Between them, the membership revenue and gameday revenue (food and tickets) should cover the costs of hiring the stadium. If they're not, then either the membership revenue needs to be increased, or the tickets need to be. Wouldn't be popular, but the club needs to start to break even. I'm sure people wouldn't mind a reasonable increase if it meant the team was able to recruit, and thus perform, better.

Food and beverage doesn't go to the club
    Buy a beer and money goes to sate govt. or wests
    Last edited by GazFish35; 01-01-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I think the time has come to really identify (and find out) what the problem in this club is. In most posts over the last few month so many reasons/excuses have been put forward.

* The coaching staff
    * Tinks
    Hope that narrows it down for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Food and beverage doesn't go to the club
    Buy a beer and money goes to sate govt. or wests
    not keen to support either of those ***holes. but I do like cashews

I've held off answering this thread until I got in front of the PC. There was no point trying to do this on the tablet.

I think it all started with a few key events:

1. Not re-signing any of Durante, Musialik and Bridge following the grand final victory. Three key players from the center of the team were gone and not adequately replaced. If we had managed to retain any 2 of these 3 we could have built further.

2. The departure of John Tsatsimis. He was a really strong leader in the club and we seemed a much more professional outfit. Since then we aren't, in my opinion, a club that can nurture juniors, or run well on a tight budget.

3. Jason Culina. I think the purchase and subsequent failure of him really put us back. He had the potential to be a massive player for us, and instead didn't even manage to get on the park.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 05-01-2015 at 03:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

We havent bought any of the top transfers since 31 July 2006.

I think "what's wrong with the Jets?" is the wrong question. You should be asking, what does an organisation need to do to be great. Everything starts at the top.

A book I read when I worked at the Jets was "Peak Performance" by Gilson, Pratt, Robers and Weymes. It examined 10 uber-successful sporting clubs from around the world and formed a theory (the Peak Performing Organisations (PPO) Theory) on what makes them great (or made them great at the time the book was written - circa 2000).

They summarise their theory in a graph which goes something like this:

PPO Principles:
    1. Peak Purpose--------------------> 2. Peak Practices------------------> 3. Peak Flow (the outcomes of organisational activity)

PPO Concepts:
    Inspirational Dream----------------> Sharing the Dream-----------------> Exceeding Personal Best
    Greatest Imaginable Challenge----> Creating the future-----------------> Catching the last detail
    Focus--------------------------------> Fostering Community--------------> Imagining game-breaking ideas

Some of the lessons they learned included the following:
    Bayern Munich invested heavily in structured youth development and took its social responsibilities seriously. Its winning mentality comes through game breaking ideas and precise attention to detail at all levels.
    San Francisco 49ers take care of every exacting detail so the players have only one thing to concentrate on - winning.
    Atlanta Braves had a strong driving vision - to be the world champion of baseball in every facet and staff were given a road map on how that could be achieved in their area of operation.
    Chicago Bulls strong loyalty, pride and tradition enable everyone to feel part of the organisation and that loyalty and long term relationships extend to how they treat season ticket holders and sponsors.
    etc etc

One almost common characteristic was that all organisations operated like a team off the field as much as on it, with people getting stuck in to help each other in pursuit of their vision. A lot of activity crossed defined departmental areas.

In all 3 of the PPO Concepts the Jets are so far from Peak Performance it is not funny. Even with the idea to create an youth academy as a way of bringing talent into the top team seems to be a half baked scheme and has now effectively been shelved.
    Last edited by hausmann; 05-01-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Get out of here with your logic

Quote Originally Posted by hausmann View Post
    I think "what's wrong with the Jets?" is the wrong question. You should be asking, what does an organisation need to do to be great. Everything starts at the top.

One almost common characteristic was that all organisations operated like a team off the field as much as on it, with people getting stuck in to help each other in pursuit of their vision. A lot of activity crossed defined departmental areas.

In all 3 of the PPO Concepts the Jets are so far from Peak Performance it is not funny. Even with the idea to create an youth academy as a way of bringing talent into the top team seems to be a half baked scheme and has now effectively been shelved.
    I get the feeling that jets staff say a lot of things like, "that's not my department" "I don't get paid enough to do that" (even tho its what they are meant to be doing rather than play candy crush) and general passing the buck.

I doubt it's a very motivational 'team' to be a part of at the moment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hausmann View Post

A book I read when I worked at the Jets was "Peak Performance" by Gilson, Pratt, Robers and Weymes. It examined 10 uber-successful sporting clubs from around the world and formed a theory (the Peak Performing Organisations (PPO) Theory) on what makes them great (or made them great at the time the book was written - circa 2000).

They summarise their theory in a graph which goes something like this:

PPO Principles:
    1. Peak Purpose--------------------> 2. Peak Practices------------------> 3. Peak Flow (the outcomes of organisational activity)

PPO Concepts:
    Inspirational Dream----------------> Sharing the Dream-----------------> Exceeding Personal Best
    Greatest Imaginable Challenge----> Creating the future-----------------> Catching the last detail
    Focus--------------------------------> Fostering Community--------------> Imagining game-breaking ideas

Some of the lessons they learned included the following:
    Bayern Munich invested heavily in structured youth development and took its social responsibilities seriously. Its winning mentality comes through game breaking ideas and precise attention to detail at all levels.
    San Francisco 49ers take care of every exacting detail so the players have only one thing to concentrate on - winning.
    Atlanta Braves had a strong driving vision - to be the world champion of baseball in every facet and staff were given a road map on how that could be achieved in their area of operation.
    Chicago Bulls strong loyalty, pride and tradition enable everyone to feel part of the organisation and that loyalty and long term relationships extend to how they treat season ticket holders and sponsors.
    etc etc

I reckon you could pass that on to RM Stubbins and co

They would look at it and go
    Whats that about??

Peak Performance the classic indicator would be along the lines of looking at who has and is actually improving at our club.

The only two blokes you could say have improved at our club are Taggz and Beard. The unmeasurable part is how much they would have improved elsewhere anyway and whether our club actually stunted their growth.

The list of blokes whose careers have improved outside of Newy is chockablock full to say that we can safely say they ain't reaching peak performance here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    I reckon you could pass that on to RM Stubbins and co

They would look at it and go
    Whats that about??

Peak Performance the classic indicator would be along the lines of looking at who has and is actually improving at our club.

The only two blokes you could say have improved at our club are Taggz and Beard. The unmeasurable part is how much they would have improved elsewhere anyway and whether our club actually stunted their growth.

The list of blokes whose careers have improved outside of Newy is chockablock full to say that we can safely say they ain't reaching peak performance here.

Our issues are two fold. Club Admin and Coaching are both so far out of touch we don't have a chance

This isn't a predicament, its business as usual...so ya better get used to it, cause ill be around.....

Actually, that film clip sums up our playing style. Parksey should do this

We don't have a core playing group, and haven't had one since HAL 3. Since these heady days we have had a transient squad with high turn-over and lack of on and off-field leaders. Team culture is a magic ingredient and its something we seem to not be able to find.
    Key Position/Spine obvious problem on the field which shows in lack of unity.

Echo sentiments surrounding Management & Ownership woes. TBH we've struggled since John T left to bridge gap between administration and playing group, both in terms of getting the right players, but also get them believing in the cause.

club has zero money at the moment
    Stubbins asked RM last week for 20 new balls for training, was told they couldn't afford it
    Stubbins then asked the players if they could buy the balls with money from their fines kitty, was told to f off...

Sauce?

god I hope that isn't true.

Money doesn't matter apparently.

I can't remember when we've ever had a shirt front sponsor that wasn't a business interest of one of our owners.

Con and tinks seem to have always been held at arms length by Newcastle business community.
    We needed to chase a big sponsor like Sony or Samsung while we have big membership numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    I've done the responsible thing and asked RD and JG on twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    I can't remember when we've ever had a shirt front sponsor that wasn't a business interest of one of our owners.
    Was Centrebet a business interest of Con?
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    I hope so too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Nou Camp View Post
    club has zero money at the moment
    Stubbins asked RM last week for 20 new balls for training, was told they couldn't afford it
    Stubbins then asked the players if they could buy the balls with money from their fines kitty, was told to f off...
    I'm calling bullshit!!!

Friend of a friend of mine told me Stubbins said this so Robbie said that.

If they needed new balls it would take one phone call to the kit/gear supplier rep andenew balls would be there in a week free of charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!