Page 22 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2015

He's the guy from TheRoar, yeah?

To be fair, I don't find a lot wrong with most things he writes.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    He's the guy from TheRoar, yeah?

To be fair, I don't find a lot wrong with most things he writes.
    Pretty sure he is freelance, have seen his stuff on fourfourtwo/theroar and some other places.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    You're a blogger.

Wouldn't have gotten as far if it wasn't for his dad. Or is that Jason?
    I'm a blogger yes, but I am not a journo and never attempted to be.
    I have read some of his stuff and I am just not a fan.
    Then again theroar is a pretty shit website also. Janek Speight is probably the only decent bloke on there.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Then again theroar is a pretty shit website also. Janek Speight is probably the only decent bloke on there.
    They had this really shit Manure fan writing about Liverpool at one stage too. Was dreadful.
    OK

You're a blogger? ****, I was using that in the "You're a shit website" kind of way.

You're a blogger? ****, I was using that in the "You're a shit website" kind of way.
    his "drum skins of the world" is a highly popular blog.

Well this site is a blog I suppose, and I run it so that would make me a blogger?
    And are you calling this site shit Grim?

I feel like one of those monkeys that scientists train that when the pull a lever the get a banana.

And now they have removed the bananas and I'm still pulling the lever. Either that or my refresh button has broken.

Going to go AWOL till Monday. In Lowy we trust.

Wondering how long it would take for uncle branko to put in his 2c
    http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/c...ed-jets-fiasco

Geez it's hard to gauge the actual truth - were Branko, GVE and Phil completely hamstrung by Middleby, Baartz and Palmer? Why exactly did those three walk? Was it that Tinkler had stupidly left the club in their hands and found out a few weeks ago it was a basket case that could not be sold? Did the senior players become more agitated because those three were actually their allies telling the coach how to run things?

Someone should write a book one day !

Well this site is a blog I suppose, and I run it so that would make me a blogger?
    And are you calling this site shit Grim?
    If the shoe fits, furns... if the shoe fits.

Interesting read from Branko on 442. Take it with a grain of salt, being an ex-employee, however he talks of the power triangle between Baartz, Middleby and Tinkler.

Also interested to see we missed out on smeltz for a few thousand. And once tinky got the Knights it was all over. It's what we all suspected.
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

At least bridges can't accused of have a conflict of interest anymore.

Hey guys, haven't been on the forum for a while. What's new?

Can someone tell me whether Bridges' tapas bar is any good?

Banned
    FOOTBALL Federation Australia is set to begin the process of revoking the Jets’ A-League licence if owner Nathan Tinkler does not make good on a commitment to pay the club’s debts by midnight Saturday.

At of the close of business on Friday, Tinkler had not settled liabilities of about $500,000, headed by $140,000 owed to Northern NSW Football and unpaid superannuation.

“This is storm in a teacup stuff ... creditors are getting paid as we speak. It will all be resolved,’’ Tinkler said on Wednesday.

If the mining tycoon misses the deadline, it is not simply a case of FFA taking immediate control of the crisis-torn club.

The governing body must follow due process, which starts with issuing a show-cause notice.

It could be weeks or even months before the situation is finalised.

As well as settling accounts, Tinkler is required to fill key positions at the club, including a chief executive, and rectify other operational issues.

FFA contacted Tinkler on Friday but later told the Herald there had been ‘‘no significant developments’’.

“FFA reiterates its position that the Jets must immediately address a range of issues in relation to the club’s finances, personnel and operations,” a spokesperson said.

See your ad here
    The deadline caps off a chaotic week in which a player revolt against coach Phil Stubbins led to the sacking of three support staff and five senior players.

In a statement on Wednesday night, the Jets announced their intention to pay out the contracts of captain Kew Jaliens, Joel Griffiths, Billy Celeski and Adrian Madaschi, and sack David Carney for disciplinary reasons.

The cull of the senior players followed the dismissal of Clayton Zane (assistant coach), Neil Young (goalkeeping coach) and Andrew Packer (trainer).

Assistant coach and former captain Michael Bridges joined the exodus, resigning on Friday.

Professional Football Australia chief executive Adam Vivian said the players union had received a draft of mutual termination offers to the players and were awaiting final documents.

‘‘There are some big decisions to be made here,’’ Vivian said.

‘‘Our legal team will view the offers, but we always encourage the players to get independent advice.

‘‘They also have to consult with their families. They need to check the numbers and make sure it is the correct contract value.

‘‘Considering there are already outstanding obligations, what checks and balances will be made to ensure those obligations are met.’’

The arrival of the termination offers also opened the way for players to ‘‘explore opportunities’’ at other clubs before the transfer window closed on Tuesday.

Vivian said Carney’s situation remained unresolved. After initially offering to pay out the final 18 months of Carney’s contract, the Jets moved to sack him, with no payout, over three alleged breach notices.

‘‘A disciplinary notification was sent to David and we have formally written back and rejected the claims they have made,’’ Vivian said.

The Jets’ 13 remaining players, including three who spoke out against Stubbins at a team meeting on Thursday, returned to the training paddock on Friday.

Vivian said all players were committed to meeting their contractual obligations.

Stubbins plans to meet individually with all players over the weekend.

Tinkler remains at odds with the FFA over $5million he claims to be owed, a figure he maintains he paid as an acquisition fee when he replaced Con Constantine as owner in 2010.

‘‘Is there also a deadline for me getting my $5million back from the FFA. Is that a deadline too?’’ he told the World Game website.

The Herald reported in May 2012 that Tinkler had paid FFA a $3.5million acquisition fee when he took the controls.

Tinkler tried to hand back the licence over the fee before reaching a compromise at a meeting with FFA chairman Frank Lowy in a Brisbane airport hangar.

A source said the FFA regarded Tinkler’s claim for $5million as laughable.
    DIng DIng Its on

Banned
    COACH Phil Stubbins has started to rebuild the Newcastle Jets, a squad he assembled four months ago.

Stubbins and the 13 players remaining from an initial squad of 23 hit the training paddock for the first time on Friday since the 7-0 capitulation to Adelaide and subsequent mass sackings after a failed player push to have the coach removed.

Assistant coach and former skipper Michael Bridges joined the departure list before the training session, tendering his resignation.

Youth team boss James Pascoe, who is the only survivor from the initial coaching group, and Stubbins conducted the field session at Ray Watt Oval.

Former Central Coast custodian Jesse Vanstrattan worked the goalkeepers.

Vanstrattan and former Jets assistant coach Mark Jones, who was not there on Friday, are expected to be formally announced as part of a new-look support staff.

Previously on the books at Juventus, Vanstrattan replaces Neil Young, who, along with assistant Clayton Zane and trainer Andrew Packer, was dismissed on Wednesday.

Captain Kew Jaliens, former A-League Golden Boot and Johnny Warren medallist Joel Griffiths, and senior players David Carney, Billy Celeski and Adrian Madaschi were also shown the door.

Stubbins recruited Young and Packer, who both moved to Newcastle to join the Jets’ coaching staff last year in the build-up to the 2014-2015 A-League campaign.

The coach also signed Madaschi and Celeski.

Two other Stubbins recruits, imports Marcos Flores and Jonny Steele, left the club less than six months into their contracts

Appointed in May, Stubbins brought in nine new faces for the start of a season in which the Jets have won once in 15 games.

Apart from the departure of the five senior players on Wednesday, the coach has signed off on the release mid-contract of Mark Birighitti, Flores, Connor Chapman, Adam Taggart, Josh Brillante, Ruben Zadkovich, Zenon Caravella, Mitch Oxborrow, Craig Goodwin, Steele and Sam Gallaway.

In defending the decision to gut the club, owner Nathan Tinkler said it was ‘‘hard to judge a coach when he is forced to take on not just an inherited squad but also an inherited coaching staff’’.

There are not too many coaches in soccer who can say they will win with any squad and any coaching staff. They need their people around them, people they trust and believe in to implement the style of play they want,’’ Tinkler said.

‘‘Now Phil will get the chance to have the squad he wants by the start of next year, and for the rest of this year he will have a bunch of players there that will have to prove they are worthy of being in that squad next season

’’In Jaliens, Griffiths, Carney, Madaschi and Celeski, the perceived leaders in the failed player-led coup to oust Stubbins, 333 A-League games and 72 internationals’ worth of experience is lost.

The Jets are also yet to replace Flores, Birighitti, Steele and Gallaway.

Former Olyroos striker Travis Cooper arrived in Newcastle from the United Kingdom on Friday and, pending a medical, will be added to the roster as an injury replacement for James Virgili.

Defender Daniel Mullen has been released by Western Sydney Wanderers and is poised to join the Jets for the rest of the season.

Brisbane Roar third-string keeper Matt Acton trained on Friday and is likely to fill the void left by Birighitti.

The Jets are believed to be close to finalising deals with Thai-based Spanish defender David Rochela, Northcote City (Victorian premier league) captain Adrian Chiappetta and former North Queensland Fury midfielder Alex Smith.

The transfer window closes on Tuesday but does not apply to players who are not under contract.

Mullen’s departure has opened the way for Gallaway to join Wanderers’ A-League roster after signing a deal for the Asian Champions League last month.
    Doesn't the red facts clearly contradict the claim in green
    Last edited by MFKS; 31-01-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Banned
    It is understood Kew Jaliens, Joel Griffiths, Billy Celeski, Adrian Madaschi and David Carney want to return to training as early as this weekend unless the club agrees to the mutual termination of their contracts and the payment of their full entitlements, including superannuation.

Exiled defender Madaschi did exactly that on Friday, attending the team's first session since the 7-0 mauling against Adelaide United last week.

He completed gym work separate from the main group, who were put through their paces by under-fire coach Phil Stubbins and youth coach Jimmy Pascoe.

The case of Carney, who was axed for disciplinary reasons, is being handled separately from the other four.

Carney has been handed a breach notice by the club suggesting he broke a "three strikes" policy.

"The PFA stance is these five players still remain contracted players at the Newcastle Jets," Professional Footballers' Australia boss Adam Vivian said.

"We have seen no formal written correspondence in relation to anyone with the exception of David Carney and, in the case of David Carney, our position is that our lawyers are currently reviewing the breach notice David received."

Meanwhile, former Jets premiership winner and PFA vice-president Ante Covic has savaged the club's actions, claiming it is damaging to the game in Australia.

"They are extremely disturbing, football is already a very precarious career and this type of behaviour is hugely damaging to Australian football," Covic said.

"There is no place for this type of behaviour in the A-League. This damages the reputation of the game in Newcastle and across the country."
    So how come Madaschi is allowed to train yet Griff was told to **** off the day before when he fronted???

https://twitter.com/TheWorldGame/sta...385281/photo/1

SBS know how to lure the big man out - send in the hot chicks !

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Doesn't the red facts clearly contradict the claim in green
    Those players were signed while Stubbins was the coach but the question that hasn't been answered is were they forced upon Stubbins by Middleby and co.

Whoever signed them had rocks in their head though. Johny Steele was the most baffling of them all