Page 40 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2015

Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    I know Nic Deluca from when I did work experience with the Jets a couple of years ago. He's involved with recruitment to some degree and used to meet with the coaching staff regularly. He does organisational stuff with the players like making sure they are well looked after, etc. He also used to meet with the coaching staff regularly.
    I hear he used to meet with the coaching staff regularly....
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Banned
    TUESDAY marked the seventh anniversary of the Jets’ lone A-League championship success.

February 24, 2008, was a day to remember for Hunter football fans.

Sydney Football Stadium was transformed into a sea of gold as the Jets trumped arch rivals Central Coast Mariners 1-0 in a tense grand final.

A long-suffering and loyal fan sent out a reminder of the Jets’ moment in history on Tuesday under the Twitter handle @newyboys.

The post, ‘‘24.02.2008’’, was succinct but poignant.

It has been five years since the Jets even made it to the finals.

They scraped into sixth in 2009-10 before upsetting Gold Coast United in a penalty shootout then losing 3-1 to Wellington Phoenix in extra time in the minor semi-final.

Every A-League season since has been a ‘‘rebuilding’’ year, accompanied by assurances the club is ‘‘moving forward’’.

Now the Jets are 18 rounds – and one win – into the 2014-15 campaign and the door is revolving again.

See your ad here
    ‘‘For five years we have not been a team which is at the front of the A-League,’’ coach Phil Stubbins said this week.

‘‘That needs to change, and we have made some decisions on that.’’

This campaign is a write-off.

At best, fans can hope that a win in the F3 derby at Hunter Stadium on Saturday sparks a run of results sufficient to avoid the wooden spoon.

Jets owner Nathan Tinkler, who has fought a battle to hold on to the club, has made it clear that the besieged coach is not going anywhere.

In backing Stubbins, Tinkler said: ‘‘It’s hard to judge a coach when he is forced to take on not just an inherited squad but also an inherited coaching staff.’’

Scenes from the Jets 2008 Grand Final win.

Appointed in May, Stubbins brought in nine new faces and has signed off on the release mid-contract of Connor Chapman, Adam Taggart, Josh Brillante, Ruben Zadkovich, Mitch Oxborrow, Craig Goodwin, Jonny Steele, Mark Birighitti, Marcos Flores, Sam Gallaway, Jeronimo, Kew Jaliens and Joel Griffiths.

David Carney, Billy Celeski and Adrian Madaschi are in the process of finalising exits and will add to a list that also includes support staff Clayton Zane, Neil Young, Michael Bridges and Andrew Packer.

Of the departures, Stubbins was responsible for recruiting Flores, Steele, Jeronimo, Celeski, Madaschi, Young and Packer.

‘‘I have learnt more in the sevens months I have been at the Jets than I have experienced over the course of time anywhere else,’’ Stubbins said this week.’’

Coming to the club in June was ‘‘too late’’ to put a squad together, he said. ‘‘It could be that you need to get players locked in now, certainly Australian players.’’

‘‘You need to get your own team together. In the A-League it needs to be a team akin to the vision and the style of play that you want to bring to the table.

‘‘Kenny Lowe [Perth Glory coach] struggled last year without his team. Now he has turned it around. Josep Gombau, Ernie Merrick ...

‘‘I know the team profile that I want and I know the players I need to fit into that team profile. We need to be more dynamic, that is for sure, and we need to be a lot more effective in the final third.’’

Ben Kennedy, Ben Kantarovski, Jacob Pepper, Scott Neville, Josh Barresi, who has missed the entire campaign due to a knee reconstruction, and Radovan Pavicevic are squad members contracted for next season. Carney also has a contract for next season but is unwanted. Goalkeeper Mark Birighitti has a contract for 2015-16 but is on loan at Italian club Varese.

The others are effectively on audition.

‘‘The way they are going at the moment they are doing themselves no harm,’’ Stubbins said.

Apart from adding Jim Pascoe, Mark Jones and Jess Vanstrattan to the coaching staff, Stubbins’ first step towards the future was the signature of defender Nigel Boogaard on a three-year deal.

He signed Korean defender Lee Ki-je and centre back Daniel Mullen to fill the gaps until the end of the season and has started talking to them about extending their stays.

Serbian winger Enver Alivodic, who makes his club debut against the Mariners, is also contracted to the end of the campaign with a view to the future.

‘‘We are doing things behind the scenes now,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘Now we have a real base, something we can use as further enticement for further additions to the squad.

"I’m looking forward to our prospects for next year.’’
    Yet a 10k Membership base shrinking in half will indicate the fans don't feel this way

At this rate I'd just settle for not parking the ****ing bus at home every week.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    At this rate I'd just settle for not parking the ****ing bus at home every week.
    It's not parking the bus that worries me it's that Stubbins opens all the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    It's not parking the bus that worries me it's that Stubbins opens all the windows.
    It's more that he parks it nose to kerb instead of parallel.

It's more that he parks it nose to kerb instead of parallel.
    The bus is in the styx

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/n...01-13rreh.html

here's some drivel from cockerill

ffs your fans from thunderbolt's flamin ridge or the bloody pie shop in port macquarie are the least of this place's worries

if they're such superfans why aren't they out there burning effigies of phil stubbins on the streets of forster ferrchrisakes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/n...01-13rreh.html

here's some drivel from cockerill

ffs your fans from thunderbolt's flamin ridge or the bloody pie shop in port macquarie are the least of this place's worries

if they're such superfans why aren't they out there burning effigies of phil stubbins on the streets of forster ferrchrisakes
    Can't wait to the Wauchope Warriors Hools come to town so we can have beer

No mention of the Craig foster coming from lismore?

Do your research cockerill.

Anywhere north of where I am (2hrs north) it'd be hard to see the club getting much return on any investment in fan engagement...... Player recruitment though....-another story, untapped talent pool waiting to be gouged IMO.

we can't even get it right in our own backyard - what makes you think we can do talent identification beyond the black stump?

Just get all the kids from Taree to grafton to do the beep test.

If they can get to 13, put em in a share house at shortland and they can run to and from training.

Just get all the kids from Taree to grafton to do the beep test.

If they can get to 13, put em in a share house at shortland and they can run to and from training.

Oh, and there's also no NPL clubs throwing any coin to stop a semi-shit-sorted operation coming in and coaxing a decent jo away from their local club to play for a talent identification programmer squad.

I'm not sure if the "George negus all stars" still exist, but old mo George has shown the blueprint!
    Last edited by GazFish35; 02-03-2015 at 07:41 AM.

But, but, but Northgate and AMOK only attack other casuals.
    http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/syd...01-13rxsf.html
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

30 on 3.

They're getting braver.

lel.

norfg8 isn't a real group remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/29...joint-venture/

Comment gold:
    Gerry Harvey has NO interest !
    Nathan Tinkler has NO money !
    Phil Stubbins has NO idea !
    FFA have NO B@ll$
    Fans have had enough. Crowd figures continue to fall!
    What will it take ????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Gerry stop giving this clown money we want him to default! Does he have incriminating photos of Gerry with a goat or something?

No mention of the Craig foster coming from lismore?

Do your research cockerill.

Anywhere north of where I am (2hrs north) it'd be hard to see the club getting much return on any investment in fan engagement...... Player recruitment though....-another story, untapped talent pool waiting to be gouged IMO.

Yeah typical half truths from Cockerill.
    Definitely some talent in these areas though but FMNC are in the junior NPL at least. Other areas do seem to have been abandoned somewhat by Northern.
    Getting a return from these areas should though be secondary to getting things right in the Newy region first.
    Careful with your Port pie shop comments or I may just have to release the hound!

Quote Originally Posted by The Northern Defender View Post
    Careful with your Port pie shop comments or I may just have to release the hound!