Page 83 of 123 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 2441

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2015

Kalac has left Sydney FC even though he has a year to run on his contract.

Have the Double FA signed him up for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Swifts View Post

Hes going to the wanderers

Nope. WSW. I believe they let Covic and their goalkeeping coach go as a result of this according to those on social media
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

It's been quite a poorly kept secret for a while now that he's heading to WSW. Basically he's returning home to Western Sydney, to punt on the Parra races and sip Rakija from his bar @ Edensor all day erry day.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    What would be a more important area to focus on would be the massive numbers of people in this country who have an involvement with football in this country at grassroots level and are not A League orientated ENOUGH and also dealing with the Eurosnob brigade rather than chasing some mystical sports fan or families and HOPING they convert.
    How many Eurosnobs do you think there are in Newcastle? 500? 1000?

How do you know that the grassroots football people aren't also the people who increased the crowd from 14000 to 21000 on 1/1/07? Most of the mums and dads from the team I coach are simply giving their kids an opportunity to play sport with their friends. They aren't on any kind of football mission. What they do outside of the 60 minutes they spend at the football oval is not determined by the 60 minutes that they spend on it.

I can tell you that my kids (to my dismay) have very little interest in the Jets, because they think they are boring. My son may very well be a eurosnob because he really likes Barcelona. Both my boys think that the Asian Cup Final was the most exciting event they have ever been at.

My point is, I don't think we need to dissect the community to death. Work out what works. We know what works from what worked in the past. Why do we insist on reinventing the wheel? Just to meet our own beliefs that we need to appeal to the right type of people in the right way?

Just be humble, friendly, open and honest.

That's what that tv ad was. It simply showed people what they would see at a game. No emotional blackmail, no lies, no PR bullshit.
    Last edited by tha_hauss; 22-05-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tha_hauss View Post

I can tell you that my kids (to my dismay) have very little interest in the Jets, because they think they are boring. My son may very well be a eurosnob because he really likes Barcelona. Both my boys think that the Asian Cup Final was the most exciting event they have ever been at.
    Win the kids over and you see crowds in the 15,000 every week and secure the future. There needs to be an individual in the roal of community engagement and marketing, someone to connect the club and the people, Someone who represents the club culture.

this I think is an initiative worth replicating - kids under 15 get free entry to all Melbourne matches.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-18/sunday-fun-day

Banned
    How many Eurosnobs do you think there are in Newcastle? 500? 1000?

How do you know that the grassroots football people aren't also the people who increased the crowd from 14000 to 21000 on 1/1/07? Most of the mums and dads from the team I coach are simply giving their kids an opportunity to play sport with their friends. They aren't on any kind of football mission. What they do outside of the 60 minutes they spend at the football oval is not determined by the 60 minutes that they spend on it.

My point is, I don't think we need to dissect the community to death. Work out what works. We know what works from what worked in the past. Why do we insist on reinventing the wheel? Just to meet our own beliefs that we need to appeal to the right type of people in the right way?

Just be humble, friendly, open and honest.

That's what that tv ad was. It simply showed people what they would see at a game. No emotional blackmail, no lies, no PR bullshit.
    How many Eurosnobs in Newy??

That's a great question. I would estimate there are thousands of them.

Quite happy to watch the EPL and proclaim that Australia football is shit and not the best into he world when quite happy to ignore that the EPL gets shit on by SerieA Bundesliga Series A sides all the time

Then add in the rest who follow big name Euro sides with no affinity to the region whatsoever and then add in those who were originally from Europe who have moved here and won't embrace the local game cause they deem it inferior.

I reckon the tally would be close to 10k

As for grassroots kids and parents I can go off what we get at Jets games to indicate that out of the thousands and thousands of kids and adults that turn up to suburban grounds each weekend to be involved in football that only a fraction of them are following the Jets at Hunter Stadium. There is a massive area there for engagement.

Both these lots have an understanding of football and an involvement already that can be encouraged and harnessed. Football doesn't worry about getting them on board cause that makes too much sense. They would rather target families and casual sports fans with a variety of brain dead promotions offering a free lunch to them.

As for dissecting the community to death I am all for not doing it. My belief is we should focus on football orientated people first second third choice and not worry about chasing some magical mythical fans to drop every thing and adopt our code. They will turn up and jump on bandwagons when there is a bandwagon. In the meantime stop wasting resources on them and work on those with an involvement

As for dissecting the community to death I am all for not doing it. My belief is we should focus on football orientated people first second third choice and not worry about chasing some magical mythical fans to drop every thing and adopt our code. They will turn up and jump on bandwagons when there is a bandwagon. In the meantime stop wasting resources on them and work on those with an involvement
    I think the thinking is alittle off.. It should be less how to do we get people on board with our plan and more how can the people become the club... instead of saying "we need the football euro's or we need the families" we have to say how do all of these groups become Newcastles football club.

Yep more ticket give aways never goes astray but it has to be coupled with actually making those people apart of the club... otherwise it looks like begging people to come to the game, no one likes pitty tickets. People want to be excited to go to a game not begged. Handing out tickets wont help unless that ticket is valuable!

My belief is we should focus on football orientated people first second third choice and not worry about chasing some magical mythical fans to drop every thing and adopt our code. They will turn up and jump on bandwagons when there is a bandwagon. In the meantime stop wasting resources on them and work on those with an involvement
    Well said there Member.

Variations of this theme were discussed in the fans rep committee thread and to their credit Mr Fish and Mr J.Pool put it to the boffins.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    I think the thinking is alittle off.. It should be less how to do we get people on board with our plan and more how can the people become the club... instead of saying "we need the football euro's or we need the families" we have to say how do all of these groups become Newcastles football club.
    It is not about that. My thinking is focus on football people and **** the rest of them attitude. This is a football club and we should focus on appealing to people with an interest in football not to appeal to anyone else

Most of this shit about community engagement is complete crock of shit anyway. It isn't a case of the Jets have not engaged the community as a cause for our problems. It is a case of those running the club have been lying arrogant egotistical ****wits who promise everything and deliver nothing and people have just got ****ing jack of their attitude and constant failure to see the blatantly ****ing obvious

How many Eurosnobs in Newy??

That's a great question. I would estimate there are thousands of them.

Quite happy to watch the EPL and proclaim that Australia football is shit and not the best into he world when quite happy to ignore that the EPL gets shit on by SerieA Bundesliga Series A sides all the time

Then add in the rest who follow big name Euro sides with no affinity to the region whatsoever and then add in those who were originally from Europe who have moved here and won't embrace the local game cause they deem it inferior.

I reckon the tally would be close to 10k

As for grassroots kids and parents I can go off what we get at Jets games to indicate that out of the thousands and thousands of kids and adults that turn up to suburban grounds each weekend to be involved in football that only a fraction of them are following the Jets at Hunter Stadium. There is a massive area there for engagement.

Both these lots have an understanding of football and an involvement already that can be encouraged and harnessed. Football doesn't worry about getting them on board cause that makes too much sense. They would rather target families and casual sports fans with a variety of brain dead promotions offering a free lunch to them.

What proportion of rugby league fans do you think played rugby league? It has quite a small participation base.

It is not about that. My thinking is focus on football people and **** the rest of them attitude. This is a football club and we should focus on appealing to people with an interest in football not to appeal to anyone else
    Ok so i get what your saying, what is the how? as in how to you capture the "football people" of our city. I agree these people need to be captured but what does that look like falling short of getting Con to call the greeks in newcastle?

Banned
    What proportion of rugby league fans do you think played rugby league? It has quite a small participation base.
    Participation does not just involve playing. Spectating is also a form of participation.

Ie plenty of women passionately support league yet have never made a tackle or thrown a pass in their life.

Plenty of people also follow the NRL yet never played it except for in the backyard or at the local park after school as kids

Many sports out there have massive interest yet don't have many people actively participating as players.

Exactly, this what the Knights have always done well in Newy.
    A lot of your fans would have turned up in loyalty more to your Chiefs, your Mad Dogs and your Joeys than the team itself.
    Football here has never done a good job of engaging their players the same way.
    Aside from Griff no Jet has ever really embraced being a public figure.
    That attitude sells a lot of shirts/seats and sponsors.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Good news for potential investors....

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/f...41ptgbl6glirv4

Ie plenty of women passionately support league yet have never made a tackle or thrown a pass in their life.

Plenty of people also follow the NRL yet never played it except for in the backyard or at the local park after school as kids
    Look out, you just expanded your demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Exactly, this what the Knights have always done well in Newy.
    A lot of your fans would have turned up in loyalty more to your Chiefs, your Mad Dogs and your Joeys than the team itself.
    Football here has never done a good job of engaging their players the same way.
    Aside from Griff no Jet has ever really embraced being a public figure.
    That attitude sells a lot of shirts/seats and sponsors.
    Difference being that all these Knights were either local products or in the case of Doogs attending Newcastle University and was known and liked by a lot of people . As such, they already had a connection with the locals before they even stepped onto the field.

Add to that the fact they were each world class or in the case of Johns possibly the best of all time and it would be pretty hard not to get it right from a marketing perspective.

So all the jets need to do is field a world class team in the a-league for under $3m a season and make sure they have a few local kids in the mix as well.

Not so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    So all the jets need to do is field a world class team in the a-league for under $3m a season and make sure they have a few local kids in the mix as well.

Not so easy.
    I take your point about more 'locals' but as for world class I don't reackon it made a heap of difference.

Even the 'Knight-Ryder' had a cult following and he was a mangy ginger in headgear and fairly hopeless at that.

Id say more it was the fact your Chiefs etc were on the telly being themselves (boofheads) which made them far more engaging than your current crop of media trained robots.

Remember there was s bit of a run on TV where Topor was taking the piss out of himself about not scoring.

People related to that.

Nowadays from the top down they don't give any time or respect to the media and sadly that's the window to the fans.