Page 100 of 123 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2441

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2015

Murphy seemed to be doing a great job. Why did he leave?

Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    What is more interesting is why are the NBN journos happy about it/saying it is a good thing?

Cause Murphy gave the herald scoops and not NBN
    Go jetties

Finally this thread hits the ton...

He didn't. DeBohun sacked him
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Jet View Post
    Finally this thread hits the ton...
    Doing better than the cricket team
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

My thoughts are that a new owner is all but sealed and want to bring in their own CEO, so Murphy had to go, Eland is only there to fill the gap...
    But im with you's, i thought Murphy was doing a great job and seemed really enthusiastic about turning the club around

Quote Originally Posted by tomo View Post
    My thoughts are that a new owner is all but sealed and want to bring in their own CEO, so Murphy had to go, Eland is only there to fill the gap...
    But im with you's, i thought Murphy was doing a great job and seemed really enthusiastic about turning the club around
    I was going to reply, but now I don't have to.

+1

Is there a way that we as fans can thank Murphy for what he's done at the club?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    He didn't. DeBohun sacked him
    Is that confirmed anywhere or just your assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by scarfy96 View Post
    Is that confirmed anywhere or just your assumption?
    That was on NBN news. DeBohun came out and said we (as in the FFA) let him go.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/32...-looms/?cs=306

Murphy out, Eland in as Jets ownership change looms

By ROBERT DILLON
    Aug. 6, 2015, 9:50 p.m.

THE proposed takeover of the Newcastle Jets by Scottish millionaire Stephen Thompson appears a step closer to reality after chief executive Mitchell Murphy parted company with the club on Thursday.

Murphy, appointed in February after the resignation of Robbie Middleby, has been replaced on an interim basis by David Eland, who will temporarily juggle the Jets role with his job as chief executive of Northern NSW Football.

The Newcastle Herald understands Football Federation Australia told Murphy his services would not be retained once new ownership had been secured, which is tipped to happen within a matter of weeks.

Thompson emerged as a potential buyer of the Jets in December when it was revealed he was in discussions with Newcastle’s then owner, Nathan Tinkler.

Tinkler subsequently took the club off the market, only to have his licence revoked by FFA in May when he placed the debt-ridden franchise into voluntary administration.

Thompson, meanwhile, was still waiting eagerly in the background.

The Herald has been told FFA officials explored other options but in recent weeks have stepped up negotiations with Thompson, who owns Scottish Premier League club Dundee United.

It is unclear if he is intent on becoming the sole owner of the Jets or the major stakeholder in a consortium.

A-League head Damien de Bohun said at a press conference on Thursday that the governing body was ‘‘well progressed’’ and confident of having new Jets ownership in place by the time the season kicked off in early October.

He said several parties were still negotiating with FFA but declined to confirm if Thompson was the main contender.

‘‘There’s still different people in the mix,’’ de Bohun said.

‘‘Like anything, you make sure you’ve got enough options to get the right outcome.

‘‘We set ourselves the goal of having this resolved before the start of the season, and that’s very much the target ... it’s unfair to talk about who’s in the mix exactly, because previously these sorts of processes can take all sorts of twists and turns.’’

The Herald contacted Thompson by email on Thursday night, but he politely declined to comment.

Murphy’s position had been under scrutiny since Tinkler’s demise. In June, he told the Herald his situation was ‘‘quite simple ... business as usual until a new owner comes in, and then we’ll see how that new owner wants to progress’’.

De Bohun said Murphy had done a ‘‘fabulous job’’ since FFA assumed control of the Jets 10 weeks ago.

‘‘I guess part of what we’ve all known all along is that we go down the path of securing new owners for the club, the leadership of the club was something that was important to new owners,’’ he said.

‘‘So that was part of the reason we made this decision. We wanted to let Mitchell know as early as we can that that’s the way it was shaping ... it’s all part of getting to the point where we can sell the club and do that before the start of the season.’’

He said Eland would play a key role ‘‘during this pivotal phase’’ before new ownership was confirmed.

Eland said he would ‘‘come as a package deal’’ as Northern NSW Football’s board of directors had also agreed to make resources available to the Jets.

But he did not think it was feasible to fill the dual CEO positions permanently.

‘‘This is a short-term role ... I think at some point you’d definitely need to determine which way it’s going to go forward,’’ he said.

The Herald left a message with Murphy on Thursday but received no reply
    What I don't get is why potentially destabilise the club if it is still a few weeks away from happening? And why do this the day before renewals happen?

It's not adding up to me with what we currently know.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Whats the drama? All old regime members had to go. Why not now? Feels like a good time. Besides 3-4 blokes on here the general pub couldnt give a rats behind about murph dog. This is the best decision the FFA has ever made and their timing is impeccable. They made me renew membership thats for sure.

Is there a way that we as fans can thank Murphy for what he's done at the club?
    Maybe ring Centrelink and leave a message.

(Too soon?)

Quote Originally Posted by la bazzle View Post
    Whats the drama? All old regime members had to go. Why not now? Feels like a good time. Besides 3-4 blokes on here the general pub couldnt give a rats behind about murph dog. This is the best decision the FFA has ever made and their timing is impeccable. They made me renew membership thats for sure.
    baz that thread you made of the jets doing nice things, have all been down to mitchell, the jets tour was mitchells idea and it worked a treat, the fact we have reconnected with NNSWF has been down to murphy.

this guy has been working 16 hour days from day dot in the disaster and post disaster.

fair enough if new ownership want to bring in there own guy thats there right, but to say its the best decision FFA made is a bit far fetched

getting rid of stubbins on the other hand.
    Last edited by BodyNovo; 07-08-2015 at 10:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

I'd say it is a cost saving for the FFA, Elland has part of his wage piad by Northern and part by the Jets (FFA) Murphy was fully paid by the Jets (FFA). If it is true that the club will be sold prior to kickoff in October, then why would not the FFA try and save a few $$

Jeterpool that doesn't say he was sacked:
    "Football Federation Australia told Murphy his services would not be retained once new ownership had been secured"

That says once this joint is sold you wont be retained by the new owners. It is possible that Murphy then decided to walk or had another offer because why hang around doing massive hours for peanuts, may as well leave now. Any type of deal may have been done. He may have been told if he wants to go they would offer him a severance payment and he figured take the money and go.

I think it was always a tiny chance any new outfit would keep him, they will bring their own in. So this was only a matter of time IMO and basically inevitable.

What I do hope is that it is an indication of how close the final deal is now.

Quote Originally Posted by scarfy96 View Post
    Jeterpool that doesn't say he was sacked:
    "Football Federation Australia told Murphy his services would not be retained once new ownership had been secured"

That says once this joint is sold you wont be retained by the new owners. It is possible that Murphy then decided to walk or had another offer because why hang around doing massive hours for peanuts, may as well leave now. Any type of deal may have been done. He may have been told if he wants to go they would offer him a severance payment and he figured take the money and go.

I think it was always a tiny chance any new outfit would keep him, they will bring their own in. So this was only a matter of time IMO and basically inevitable.

What I do hope is that it is an indication of how close the final deal is now.
    What DeBohun said on the news is different to what's been printed in the paper, and I accept that he may have quit or he may have taken a redundancy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-1...buying/6686846

I missed this story over the weekend. Queensland rugby have applied to wind up the roar over $60,000 debt.

Thwaite to Roar.

Glory signing ex-Feyenoord striker

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/f...h1ig6tb3cjgxzg

Some big changes in there.

- Salary floor 90%
    - Two marquee, nationality irrelevant
    - Mature age rookie (over 21, not played in pro comp for 18 months, outside cap)
    - Loyalty player (slide scale, 5-10 years of tenure at club, up to 200k outside cap)
    - Home grown allowance outside cap up to 200k from 150k
    - Salary Cap banking (can carry over up to up to 5% extra unused cap from previous 2 seasons i.e. up to 105% of annual cap)
    - Loan period now up to 14 weeks from 10
    - Min salary up to 55k