Page 113 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2441

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I hope this is sarcasm because that sentence is disgusting. No decent football fan wants any violence at any game, against any opposition.
    lol

**** me! I just saw an ad for jets membership during the half time break of the under 17s!

Wonders will never cease!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Yep, old Con was right all along, people love the Newcastle lifestyle!

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/34...m-game/?cs=305

only two comments, but the first one is a corker.

Shazza No.3 This is probably the final straw for the Jets unfortunately.
    The FFA are looking for reasons to stop propping them up financially and run their club for them because they have no one in the organisation with any idea how to run the place, and this has provided the perfect get out for them.
    I cannot comprehend how a club and its 50 supporters could be so incredibly ungrateful to pick fights with a club that has just doubled their crowd figure, and therefor revenue.
    The Jets are a basket case that no one wants to touch, including the FFA which is very sad for Newcastle which has always been a soccer town

orright, own up. which one of you is taking the piss?

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    Not guilty your honour.

But seriously ****ing envious.

Shazza No.3 ay..
    I was hoping it was going to be Shannon Cole who was number 3, but he's number 2.. In more ways than one..

it's the 50 supporters bit I love.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/34...m-game/?cs=305

only two comments, but the first one is a corker.

Obviously the journo Sam Rigney has done his homework, another one of these amateurs who thinks that The Squadron "retreated" because of WSW supporters. Seems mud sticks though because I've had a few people say the same thing to me over the last 12 months or so.
    Seems too hard to contact the club or The Squadron and get the facts, much easier to keep speading a myth because hey it sounds good and belittles Newcastle sokkah supporters!
    This Rigney is on twitter @SamRigney if you want to tell him to get his facts straight.

deadset some of the blokes you see giving shit to the squadron these days, ffs - i prefer the kids to these mouth breathing knuckle draggers

Lol yes too difficult to contact us - all you need do is call the Jets, or do a google search. They don't care enough to check the facts.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

I don't expect a response but have hit him up about it
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Jean-Paul de Marigny, the quiet achiever helping revive Newcastle Jets' fortunes

Jean-Paul de Marigny’s move from assistant coach at Melbourne Victory to assistant coach at Newcastle Jets was one of the more curious transfers of the off-season. Why would anyone leave a championship-winning club to go to the last-placed, crisis-ridden club he had taken to court just a few years earlier?
    It was family, not football, that forced “JP” to leave Melbourne. On 1 May earlier this year, as Victory were preparing for a blockbuster A-League semi-final against Melbourne City, De Marigny’s wife Donna was undergoing surgery for breast cancer. Victory went on to win that semi-final 3-0, and then repeated the same score in the grand final against Sydney FC. De Marigny, however, found it hard to enjoy the moment.

“Football-wise it was the highest you could go in this country, but personal life was as low as I could be,” he says. “So it was mixed emotions. It was like a double life basically.”

When the season finished he left Melbourne Victory immediately, turning his back on a two-year deal at the most successful and most stable club in the country to return to Sydney and look after his wife. For a coach who was out of the A-League from 2006 to 2013, that’s a big call. De Marigny, of course, says “there was really no decision to make”.

There are two JPs – the ruthless, football-obsessed competitor that the fans see, and the doting husband and father his friends and colleagues know. You get a complete picture of the man when he says: “I still regard one of my biggest achievements – apart from being a father and a husband – is actually making a full-time living out of football in Australia.”

Born in Mauritius, at 15 De Marigny migrated to Australia with his mother after his parents divorced. In 1986, he met Donna on the Central Coast after a National Soccer League match, and since then his number one focus has been family. Four years ago, when his son Jake was 15 – the same age De Marigny was when he left his best mate in Mauritius – he turned down a coaching opportunity in Asia so that his son wouldn’t have to go through the same experience.

“Everything you do always has a cost,” he says. “My goal was always to break the cycle of my family being dysfunctional.”

His football career – 318 national league games, three championships, five Socceroos caps – has been one of crisis management. Just as he was hitting his strides as a young player, his first club Hakoah Sydney City collapsed and withdrew from the NSL after three rounds in 1987. In 2003-04 he had one season as head coach with Marconi, but that was interrupted as the NSL folded and re-started as the A-League 15 months later. In 2006 he was sacked as assistant coach by the Jets with two years to run on a three-year contract (he successfully sued the club over the dismissal, with the judge describing his treatment as “appalling”). And when Donna fell ill this year, they were preparing to move to Melbourne permanently.

With the long shadow of former owner Nathan Tinkler slowly receding, Football Federation Australia as stand-in owners and under the guidance of 33-year-old rookie coach Scott Miller, Newcastle Jets sit third on the A-League ladder ahead of this Saturday’s derby against Central Coast Mariners. Ten years ago, De Marigny was the head coach of the Jets in their first ever competitive fixture against the Mariners. Now, he says he’s back for “unfinished business”.

De Marigny is a quiet achiever well-respected by his peers. He’s content to be recognised by the likes of Kevin Muscat, who sought him out to be his assistant, and Tony Popovic, who wanted him at Western Sydney Wanderers after he left Victory. Since joining the Jets, Miller has said De Marigny has been one of the biggest influences on his career – a big wrap from a coach who has worked with the likes of Martin Jol, Roy Hodgson, Mark Hughes, RenĂ© Muelensteen and Ange Postecoglou.

That sort of respect is engendered by hard work and modesty, the values which are central to engineer a rebuild at the Jets. On the club’s past mistakes, De Marigny is blunt: “The way the owners conducted themselves was completely different to the values of this town. They didn’t take the responsibility that was given to them. For me, they took it with no humility and honour. They disrespected the whole process.”

De Marigny intimately understands the local aesthetic. When asked which players he wants to see at the club, he talks of uncovering the next Col Curran, David Lowe, Joe Senkalski, Craig Johnston and Ray Baartz. Ten years ago when the Jets put together their first A-League side, he was the first person to move to Newcastle, instructing the players they had to live in the area they wished to represent. “You’ve got to bring everything here to be part of it,” he says. “That was not negotiable. If you’re going to sign you need to live here in a proper manner.”

Nobody knows the fragility of Australian football better than De Marigny, but he’s already thinking of a long-term future in Newcastle. The Jets, like all regional clubs, operate best as an extended family, and now that Donna is on the mend, De Marigny is ready to nurse Australian football’s most dysfunctional family back to good health.

“I saw this as coming back to finish the work that we started,” he says. “I saw it as a big opportunity. I really believe that this football club can be a very, very big club. It has to be a big club for the benefit of the A-League.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...-jets-fortunes

I love JP

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    I love JP
    I love you too mate
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I love you too mate

Coach Scott MIller defends Jets defensive style

THE Central Coast Mariners have accused Newcastle of a negative playing style, but Jets coach Scott Miller gives the impression he takes it as a compliment.

As the Mariners taunted their arch rivals on Thursday with barbs about playing ‘‘ugly football’’ and ‘‘parking the bus’’, Miller declared defensive standards in the A-League left much to be desired.

‘‘It’s not just a Newcastle Jets thing,’’ Miller said.

‘‘Across the board, defending needs to be better as a country, as in Australian football.

‘‘In this country, we need to be better. I think it’s ad hoc.

‘‘It’s not organised. In a lot of teams it’s shown that their balance in the back four is not there. Whether or not they’re continually working on it or not, I’m not sure. But there seems to be a mindset here that’s not a defensive mindset at all.’’

After almost 10 years as an assistant coach with English club Fulham, Miller’s appointment as Newcastle’s head tactician this season is his first involvement in the A-League.

His top priority has been organising Newcastle’s defence, which last season leaked 55 goals in 27 games, more than any other team.

This season the Jets have conceded six goals in five games, an improvement that has helped them to three wins and third rung on the ladder.

That has not stopped the eighth-placed Mariners, who have not won since the opening round, from criticising Newcastle’s tactics.

‘‘It mightn’t be the prettiest game – they won’t want it to be the prettiest game,’’ Irish striker Roy O’Donovan said on Thursday. ‘‘We played them a couple of times in pre-season and they pretty much parked the bus.

‘‘It’s ugly. If I was a supporter, I wouldn’t go and watch it. But that’s the way they want to play. That’s fine.’’

O’Donovan said the Mariners ‘‘know what to expect’’ from their traditional rivals.

‘‘It’s going to be a tough game,’’ he said.

‘‘They play very defensively and they don’t play a very expansive game.’’

The Jets have scored as many goals (seven) as the Mariners this season but conceded five fewer.

Central Coast and Adelaide share the worst defensive record.

Miller had his own subtle dig at the Mariners when he said: ‘‘We’ve obviously started very well and they need to improve their form.’’

Miller accepted that last week’s 2-1 loss to Western Sydney had provided Newcastle’s critics with ammunition.

‘‘People were waiting for Newcastle to fail, and that’s a big motivation,’’ he said. ‘‘But any team can fail. The table doesn’t lie at this point.

‘‘We want to remain very focused on our ambition for the year, which is not to drop off whatsoever.’’

Despite the derby tradition, Miller insisted Saturday’s showdown held no extra significance for the Jets.

‘‘It’s just another game for us,’’ he said. ‘‘That’s the way we look at things.

‘‘It’s the next fixture, the next opposition, and we need to maintain our focus for that.’’

Miller said a win on Saturday, and 12 points from the first six games, ‘‘would be reflective of the commitment we’ve shown, as well as the performances’’.
    I don't agree with this. We shouldn't be saying that in the media. It's important to the fans.

I hope the message behind closed doors is different.

This is, in my opinion, the first thing I can recall Miller has said wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Prob just playing it down a tad so we don't lose Boogs to a straight red early on.

Fair enough I reckon, keep it calm.

If we want emotional pandemonium we just need Hutch and Griff to appear prematch in sunglasses, a la WWE managers and have a face off.

Hutch pushes Griff and Sasho flies out of the crowd with a chair to the head of Hutcho, grabs the mic, denounces his Gyponess and apologises for the 2008 semi final comeback - game on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Fair enough I reckon, keep it calm.

If we want emotional pandemonium we just need Hutch and Griff to appear prematch in sunglasses, a la WWE managers and have a face off.

Hutch pushes Griff and Sasho flies out of the crowd with a chair to the head of Hutcho, grabs the mic, denounces his Gyponess and apologises for the 2008 semi final comeback - game on.
    wouldn't mind dura popping up in V1 gear and giving mrdja what for as well.