Page 19 of 123 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2015

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by westjet View Post
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/football...20Bloodletting over as Jets prepare for new era

This bloke is delusional! Yes we need to fix the culture of the club but Stubbins has failed at that and made it worse and now thinks he can turn it around. Get the **** out of our club.
    Seriously I am having hard time swallowing this shit now.

These two are talking that all this change is to get the kulcha change to occur in the future. OK Fine
    These two are talking like all this change is necessary to gain success in the future. OK Fine

What none of the two dickheads seem to realise is that the whole thing could have been handled in a much better way than they have done so.

How about pulling the 5 players they cut in to the office having a civilised chat that they ain't part of the future help them find a new club, organise a termination agreement etc or just generally treat them with respect instead of sending a group text out to 5 blokes to tell them they are boned.

How can anyone have any respect for the regime now with the way they have treated 5 blokes who they easily could have actually got out the door with no drama if they actually had any degree of class and integrity as people and had acted accordingly

Jets face threat of legal action over sackings
    By BRETT KEEBLE
    Jan. 29, 2015, 9:30 p.m

PROFESSIONAL Footballers Australia chief executive Adam Vivian said four of the five Jets players facing the sack had not yet received formal notification of the club’s plan to terminate their contracts.

In a statement on Wednesday night, the Jets announced their intention to pay out the contracts of captain Kew Jaliens, Joel Griffiths, Billy Celeski and Adrian Madaschi and sack Carney for disciplinary reasons.

But after a series of group and individual meetings with those players and some of their teammates in Newcastle on Thursday night, Vivian said Jaliens, Griffiths, Celeski and Madaschi, all of whom were off contract at the end of this A-League season, were still awaiting the relevant paperwork from club owner and chairman Nathan Tinkler.

‘‘The players that have had their contracts threatened to be terminated, some people have very specific issues in regards to their personal situations, their family and other opportunities,’’ Vivian told the Newcastle Herald.

‘‘The four players that have been offered a mutual termination actually haven’t received any of those mutual termination offers as yet.

‘‘They have not received any correspondence whatsoever, and David Carney has received correspondence in the form of a third disciplinary notice, however, he vehemently refutes the allegation and he’s spoken in depth with us about that situation.

‘‘We believe he has a very strong case and that we will also be representing him on that issue.’’

Vivian would not discuss details of the allegation against Carney for legal reasons ‘‘but hopefully in the fullness of time we’ll be able to discuss that further’’.

On another dramatic day at Newcastle’s struggling football flagship, the PFA threatened the Jets with legal action, accusing the club of failing to comply with the players’ collective bargaining agreement.
    See your ad here

‘‘The actions of the club in attempting to terminate the contracts of the players, without satisfactory justification, are not in accordance with the CBA,’’ Vivian said.

‘‘If the situation is not remedied immediately, we will take the necessary legal steps.

‘‘The actions of the club undermine the A-League, which is a competition that is based on respect for contracts and committed to player wellbeing.’’

In other developments:

● In the presence of coach Phil Stubbins, three senior players spoke out against the embattled manager at a team meeting at the club’s Ray Watt Oval training base on Thursday morning.

● It is understood those three players made it clear they had no confidence in the coach and, though they will continue to honour their contractual obligations, they would no longer be playing for him but instead for their teammates and Jets fans.

● The Herald was told Griffiths, a former A-League Golden Boot winner, appeared briefly at that meeting then left after a heated exchange with Stubbins.

● It is understood Griffiths made it clear that he wanted to see out his contract with the Jets and was not prepared to accept a mutual termination pay-out.

● The Herald was told former Jets assistant coach Mark Jones is poised to rejoin the club to replace Clayton Zane, who was sacked on Wednesday with goalkeeping coach Neil Young and trainer Andrew Packer.

● Vivian dismissed speculation players were considering boycotting training or their next game, against Brisbane at Hunter Stadium next Friday.

Vivian plans to stay in Newcastle as long as it takes to resolve the crisis between the players, Stubbins and Tinkler, who as owner and chairman faces a Football Federation Australia deadline of Saturday to settle the club’s debts.

That includes outstanding superannuation entitlements and $140,000 owed to Northern NSW Football.

Vivian said he had spoken to the three players who spoke out against Stubbins in the course of his meetings on Thursday night, and all expressed their anger and frustration about the circumstances surrounding the departure of five of their teammates and a perceived lack of leadership from the coach and Tinkler.

‘‘There’s a level of frustration not only with Phil but also with regards to the way the situation has been handled,’’ Vivian said. ‘‘I think it’s exacerbated by the fact that they’re watching five of their fellow professionals potentially being terminated in a way that they see as quite abrupt and untoward.

‘‘They’re still waiting to see the strategic rationale and the football rationale as to why this is occurring in the way it is.

‘‘It’s been a disjointed process, so from their perspective, if it had been managed in a way that was followed methodically, and they were given the requisite consultation, perhaps the outcome would have been different.

‘‘In football, it’s not uncommon for there to be a mutual termination agreement reached and for people to part ways, but under the circumstances and the way it’s happened and the level of grey area around it, it’s created a level of anxiety which perhaps otherwise wouldn’t exist.’’

Tinkler told a Sydney newspaper on Thursday that the five players facing the sack had led a player revolt against Stubbins.

‘‘Carney has three strikes against his name and has been let go because of behavioural issues. I won’t go into them. He knows what they are,’’ Tinkler said.

Carney declined to comment when contacted by the Herald, indicating he was heeding legal advice.

Referring to Griffiths, a former Jets grand final hero and crowd favourite, Tinkler said: “Joel would be the first to tell you his best days are behind him.

‘‘I’ve got some time for Joel, but his comments and actions over the past week have been disappointing. There is a spot for him at Perth if he wants to go. They are keen to take him and he has the chance to win a title over there, but that’s up to him.’’

Responding to Tinkler’s comments about him, Griffiths tweeted: ‘‘Wow fair enough.’’

Northern NSW Football chief executive David Eland said the saga was severely damaging grassroots football in Newcastle.

‘‘Every day it goes on, it’s just generating more negative publicity and more negative talk,’’ he said.

‘‘It’s disappointing when the game is on such a high locally.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/28...ckings/?cs=306
    Be interesting to see if the sackings or PFA legal action are used as a license breach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Zane says Jets will rise again
    By BRETT KEEBLE

SACKED Newcastle Jets assistant coach Clayton Zane is sure the crisis-wracked club can rise from the mire and become an A-League powerhouse, with or without Nathan Tinkler, but only if it reconnects with the community it represents.

Zane and fellow coaching staff members Neil Young and Andrew Packer had their contracts terminated on Wednesday, several hours before captain Kew Jaliens and senior players Joel Griffiths, David Carney, Billy Celeski and Adrian Madaschi suffered the same fate.

Disappointed and disillusioned but not despondent, Zane said Tinkler, not coach Phil Stubbins, had called him on Wednesday to say his services were no longer required.

Zane has another year to run on the two-year deal he signed 12 months ago and plans to pursue his legal options, but only after the five sacked players have resolved their differences with Tinkler.

‘‘Nathan Tinkler called me and just said they were going in a different direction and thanks for my work but not to come in any more,’’ Zane told the Newcastle Herald.

‘‘He wished me all the best and we left it at that, and I wished him and Phil all the best. I’ve got another year on my contract, but I’ll pursue that at a later date to see what I’m entitled to.

‘‘He said four weeks effective immediately, so I’m assuming he doesn’t really know my contract status, which is another full year because I signed exactly this time last year.’’

The Jets appointed Zane as interim head coach 12 months ago after parting company with premiership-winning manager Gary van Egmond.

The 37-year-old former Socceroos striker remained on staff as an assistant to Stubbins, a former assistant at Adelaide, who joined the Jets in May.
    See your ad here

‘‘I was given assurances by the management at the time, when I was stepping into that head role,’’ Zane said.

‘‘I was put on the spot when I took over as interim manager and I was really concerned because my wife was just about to have our second child so I was concerned about the job security. But I was told in no uncertain terms that I would be looked after for a two-year period.’’

A home-grown international who has represented Newcastle in the various incarnations of the national league as a player and coach, Zane is sure the Jets will be strong again but feels for fans who have become disenchanted with their club.

Zane believed the Jets would benefit from the input of Football Federation Australia, along similar lines to the role the National Rugby League played in rebuilding the Newcastle Knights after Tinkler handed back the reins last June.

‘‘I’m distraught that the fans can be dragged into this in such a manner, but deep inside I know it’s for the right reasons and I think the club will get to where it needs to get to,’’ he said. ‘‘But me being one of the fans now, we all just have to be patient and see how it plays out.

‘‘The FFA have got some smart people in there, they know whether the club is being run right or whether it does need an injection of new blood, but we’ll leave that to the experts.

‘‘But I feel for the fans because they’ve been messed around. They’ve not really had a lot to cheer about for a number of years now, and it could be a very big club if the right people come in.

‘‘You look at the Knights now, and it just seems like a whole different place now that they’ve installed a board with real credibility with local business people, and, moving forward, I think a community-based model is the way forward for this club.

‘‘Even if Nathan is involved, I still think there needs to be some smart business people from the local area to start to tap into ... so whether it’s Nathan in charge or anyone else, we need to make sure it becomes a community club again because we’re starting to get away from that.’’

Zane said he had not spoken to Stubbins since the coach instructed him at a staff meeting on Tuesday to oversee training. Stubbins then flew to Brisbane for crisis talks with Tinkler.

‘‘Probably the biggest shock was because I thought I was quite close with Phil. I had a good relationship, and all the feedback prior to what’s happened had always been positive,’’ he said.

‘‘He really trusted me with a lot of things on the training track, and delegated a lot of bigger things that maybe other head coaches might not have done for their assistants, so it just seemed like there was a lot of trust in my ability as an assistant.

‘‘So I was a little bit shocked, also because I’d talked to him on the morning before he’d flown up to Brisbane and told me to take the session the next day as well, so he’d already planned ahead for the rest of the week with me heavily involved in it.’’

Zane did not anticipate rejoining the Jets any time soon, irrespective of uncertainty surrounding Tinkler’s hold on the A-League licence, but wants to remain involved in the game in Newcastle.

‘‘I’ve already had Gary van Egmond from the Emerging Jets ring me to say when I’m ready to have a chat, they’d love me to come and do some work with their junior program, and I’ve run a small academy here for the last four years that I can always go back to,’’ he said.

‘‘I’ve not thought too far because I’ve not really had a lot of time to think about what I will do, but soccer is a lot bigger now so there’s more opportunity in it. It might have to be back at the development or grassroots level, but I want to stay in football.’’

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/28...-again/?cs=306
    I do find it weird that stubbins would
    1. not discuss this directly with zane &
    2. leave a heap of training instructions for the next few days then sack the staff.
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Grenell says his players will keep their heads down
    By JOSH LEESON

NEWCASTLE football agent Joel Grenell has advised his Jets players to keep out of the turmoil consuming the A-League club and concentrate on training.

The Jets returned to training on Thursday, a day after arguably the blackest day in the club’s history when five players, captain Kew Jaliens, Joel Griffiths, David Carney, Adrian Madaschi and Billy Celeski, were sacked along with assistant coach Clayton Zane, goalkeeping coach Neil Young and trainer Andrew Packer.

The remaining players held talks with coach Phil Stubbins and his assistant, Michael Bridges, behind closed doors at Ray Watt Oval on Thursday before emerging as a group 20minutes later.

Stubbins left Ray Watt Oval 15 minutes after the players, who completed a spin cycle session at the nearby Forum gym.

It is understood Stubbins is conducting one-on-one meetings with the players over the coming days.

Grenell represents Jets players Taylor Regan, Ben Kennedy, Andrew Hoole, Jacob Pepper, James Virgili, Nick Cowburn and Sam Gallagher.

Since news of the failed player coup broke on Tuesday, after the 7-0 hiding against Adelaide United last Saturday, Grenell has been in close contact with his players.

‘‘We’ve had conversations and I’ve said, ‘Look, keep your noses clean as there’s no winners in these kind of scenarios and you’re best off working hard and getting back in the team’,’’ Grenell said. ‘‘Most of them need to ensure they’re playing regular football to get a contract.

‘‘To my boys it’s a very clear message and they’re all in agreement that they need to knuckle down and work for their futures.’’
    See your ad here

Of Grenell’s clients, only Kennedy and Pepper are under contract for next season. Kennedy re-signed with the Jets last week for a further two years, while Pepper has another season remaining on his contract.

Hoole last week announced he was leaving the Jets at season’s end.

He is yet to sign with a new club, but the home-grown winger is expected to join Sydney FC.

Regan and Cowburn have been fringe first-graders under Stubbins but could expect more opportunities after the mass departures from the roster.

Gallagher was signed by Stubbins in July from Vietnamese club Hanoi T&T and has played nine games this season, predominantly at left back.

Meanwhile, a Jets spokesman confirmed the club was yet to finalise a deal to sign Olyroos striker Travis Cooper and former Spanish youth international central defender David Rochela.

The Jets have until the close of the transfer window on Tuesday to complete the signings.

Rochela, 24, has played with Thai Premier League club Buriram United for the past year, where he has scored five goals in 37 games.

The last of his 13 appearances for the Spanish under-19 side was in 2009.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/28...s-down/?cs=306
    Lets face it for the most part his blokes are out of contract, out of the starting line up (until now) and unlikely to have a lot of interest, of course the agent would tell them to lie low and nod when ever stubbins talks.

Tinkler has said two things that I don't understand fully:

1) that the senior playing group he let go (the five) were detrimental to the younger players, and that for a club to function properly you need a senior group that encourages the younger guys on etc. Firstly, particularly after the 3 extras spoke out against Stubbins - THERE IS NO SENIOR PLAYING GROUP NOW. Secondly, I would say a senior group rallying the team, harmonising them for probably the first time the entire season, would be what you want from a senior group.

2) the whole thing about inherited squad and coaching staff, and that Phil can't get shit done without his own people in there. Out of the 7 players to have been let go in the last couple of weeks, only 2 were players that whose contracts were inherited - Gallaway and Jaliens. The rest were either brought in, or were re-signed, under Stubbins tenure. And the coaching staff - don't get me wrong, I love Mark Jones, but how exactly is he a Phil man? AFAIK he's never worked with him before. Wouldn't "Phil's people" that he would want to bring in be people he has worked with before? I just don't get it at all.
    OK

A-League Confidential: Emmanuel Eboue casts Australia net; Kwabena Appiah gets the hint

Tom Smithies and Carly Adno
    The Daily Telegraph
    January 29, 2015 10:34PM

FORMER Arsenal defender Emmanuel Eboue is being shopped around, with his representatives keen to see if any A-League clubs are interested in signing the Ivorian defender.

Eboue left Arsenal for Galatasaray in 2011, but the 31-year-old right-back is currently a free agent and is on the lookout for a move during this transfer window.

When you know your number is up!

Wanderers winger Kwabena Appiah has already been told unofficially that he’s not wanted at the club.

Now it’s semi-official.

The surest sign yet he is on his way out of the club came with new Western Sydney signing Kerem Bulut being handed Appiah’s squad number.

The 22-year-old impressed in the early stages of the Wanderers’ Asian Champions League campaign but Appiah wasn’t part of the squad that travelled to Morocco for the Club World Cup and last featured in an A-League match back in October.

A-League confident of position

A-League bosses have experience of taking the licence back from club owners and then facing down legal action, which is why they’re confident of seeing off Nathan Tinkler.

When Clive Palmer was running Gold Coast into the ground, a dossier of licence infringements was being compiled, ready for a court case, but Clive helpfully handed it to them on a plate with the “free speech” slogans on the players’ shirts that made it an open and shut case.

Similar groundwork is going into the case against Tinkler - not just unpaid superannuation, but myriad other ways he has broken the rules.

FFA directors were due to give the green light on Thursday night to fire the trigger once the deadline of Saturday for Tinkler to pay his debts has passed

Don’t mention the referees

The AFC is way too touchy, and spends far more time policing its arcane rules than anything else.

But we’re not used to censorship here, yet that’s what happened at press conferences where journalists have been told they can’t ask coaches questions about the referees.

It’s led to stand-up rows in the media centres, but AFC press officers aren’t budging.

AFC strike it rich

Meanwhile, the AFC have been pocketing thousands during the Asian Cup.

Each player who gets sent off during a match is fined $2000 while pitch invaders earn the AFC double-money.

Both the Iraqi Football Federation and Football Federation Australia had to fork out $4500 each after three spectators ran onto the field during the Iraq v Palestine match.

Maybe they could use some of that money to provide food for working journalists on match days

Stair flair: North Korea’s fitness regime

North Korea went to great lengths to keep out of the media watch during their stay in Australia for the Asian Cup.

Not only did they shy away from journalists, but players were found in the stairwell of their hotel doing fitness training by running up and down the stairs.

Hutchinson heading to Sydney?

The Mariners say they want to keep John Hutchinson after he retires at the end of the season, but as we hinted at a few weeks back, we hear Graham Arnold might have a position for him at Sydney FC.
    My money is on Kwabena Appiah being one of our two rival HAL player signings.

It will be interesting to see the breaches the FFA pull out if they move to take the license from Tinkler.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

These two are talking that all this change is to get the kulcha change to occur in the future. OK Fine
    These two are talking like all this change is necessary to gain success in the future. OK Fine

What none of the two dickheads seem to realise is that the whole thing could have been handled in a much better way than they have done so.

How about pulling the 5 players they cut in to the office having a civilised chat that they ain't part of the future help them find a new club, organise a termination agreement etc or just generally treat them with respect instead of sending a group text out to 5 blokes to tell them they are boned.

How can anyone have any respect for the regime now with the way they have treated 5 blokes who they easily could have actually got out the door with no drama if they actually had any degree of class and integrity as people and had acted accordingly
    I agree 100%. The need for cultural change may be there, but being disrespectful and unprofessional in the implementation of that change doesn't suggest that it will have the desired effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    I do find it weird that stubbins would
    1. not discuss this directly with zane &
    2. leave a heap of training instructions for the next few days then sack the staff.

What I think has happened is that Stubbins has gone to Tinkler and bitched and moaned about how difficult it is for him in this way and that way, and Tinkler has just gone: right then, sack, sack, sack, sack, sack, sack, sack, sack. And Stubbins has gone, oh.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwannaplaywithhowey View Post
    I agree 100%. The need for cultural change may be there, but being disrespectful and unprofessional in the implementation of that change doesn't suggest that it will have the desired effect.
    You know it is gonna be a bit hard for Kevin Muscat the day he has to pull Berisha aside after he has a brain fade and tell him to pull his head in and stop being a stupid **** etc

What sort of kulcha can Stubbins and Tinkler implement when their track record is actually not great??

How can any of the players still here respect them 100% going forward after living through the way their teammates have been shafted and how can any new player fully get with it when they face the possibility of similar poor treatment??

Lets not even take into account the fans expectations and thoughts weighing these TRAITORS down

These TRAITORS even if the FFA let the circus go on have dug their own grave and will not achieve shit even if given the opportunity at our club.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

+1
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Here is one from Ray Gatt in the Australian http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...d3bfd6424a5e6f

THE embattled Newcastle Jets are lurching from one crisis to the next and the situation remains extremely volatile.

There are reports veteran striker Joel Griffiths clashed verbally with coach Phil Stubbins and at least three players reaffirmed that they would not support Stubbins.

Griffiths is one of five players whose contracts have been terminated in a move controversial Newcastle owner Nathan Tinkler said “is in the best interests of the club”. Griffiths, Kew Jaliens, David Carney, Adrian Madaschi and Billy Celeski were told on Wednesday that their services were no longer required.

That followed the club’s decision earlier in the day to dump assistant coach Clayton Zane, goalkeeper coach Neil Young and conditioner Andrew Packer.

Griffiths is understood to have walked into a meeting between the players and Stubbins at training yesterday, only to be told to get out. After a verbal exchange with Stubbins, the former Socceroo left.

Griffiths was moved to react after reading comments about him from Tinkler. He posted on his Twitter account: “Wow, fair enough” alongside extracts from the story quoting Tinkler saying: “Joel will be the first to tell you his best days are over. I have some time for Joel but his comments and actions over the past week have been disappointing. There is a spot for him at Perth if he wants to go.”

A number of players stood up at yesterday’s meeting to tell Stubbins they were standing by the dumped senior players and were not prepared to play for him.

That followed a meeting of all the players earlier in the week in which they told Stubbins they had lost respect for him, that they did not agree with his training methods and team selections and that they would not play for him.

The situation came to a head after the embarrassing 7-0 loss to Adelaide United last Friday. It was one of the worst defeats in the club’s short history.

It was reported that Stubbins and a player clashed heatedly in the dressing room after the game and that the two confronted each other again when they returned to the team hotel. It is not known how the Jets management, which is basically Tinkler and Stubbins, will react to the latest drama involving the three players who stood up to the coach yesterday.

Tinkler has thrown his weight behind Stubbins, who flew to Brisbane on Tuesday for meetings with the mining magnate.

“People forget that Ange Postecoglou had a similar clean-out when he took over at Brisbane Roar, and he went on to win back-to-back titles,” Tinkler told theworldgame website.

“I am not saying that’s what we are going to do but we certainly can’t go backwards from here right now.

“What’s happened here with players is certainly not personal — it’s the club heading in one direction and senior players going in another. It’s not quite the emotional upheaval that certain people in the media are trying to portray it as. It’s a planned strategic move.”

Professional Footballers Australia representatives flew to Newcastle yesterday for further talks and foreshadowed possible legal action over the decision to axe the five players. Chief executive Adam Vivian said the actions of the club had failed to respect the players’ rights. “We have a CBA in place and it must be complied with,” Vivian said.

"Planned Strategic Move" = Scorched Earth Policy

both caravella and Geronimo were the players who told stubbins to f off ... and that they wont play for him but only for the fans

Working next to Ray Watt oval today. Training looks very intense. Lots of talk in a game of "keep ball"

Quote Originally Posted by Newy View Post
    both caravella and Geronimo were the players who told stubbins to f off ... and that they wont play for him but only for the fans
    Only those 2?
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Newy View Post

Didn't one or both of these play under Stubbins in Adelaide?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    Working next to Ray Watt oval today. Training looks very intense. Lots of talk in a game of "keep ball"
    Training is actually happening today? Stubbins in attendance?

Well this is an interesting development. He probably realised that siding with Stubbins/Tinkler would lose him all credibility if he wished to stay in Newy or work in the A-League again.

I know some of you guys don't like corporate values but in light of the talk about "improving the environment" and Tinklers assurances that he is taking a greater interest in the club and changing them for the better, I thought I'd put my list of values to the test.

How the Jets have operated so far under Tinkler:
    Humility - Nup
    Effort - Nup
    Ambition - Nup
    Respect - Nup
    Teamwork - Nup

How the Jets will operate under the new "environment" based solely on what Tinkler and Stubbins have said
    Humility - Nup - I think this is obvious.
    Effort - Tick - they say they are changing things because not enough effort put in.
    Ambition - Tick - they say they changing things because they want to achieve more
    Respect - Nup - way sackings were handled prove no respect
    Teamwork - Nup - lack of consultation within the club about the "mid year review" actions prove this

So based on the above, this talk of "changing the environment" is doomed to failure as problems will still be endemic.