Page 62 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2441

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2015

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Fingers crossed I am sitting next to the Muppet
    but then you might be on your way to Adelaide!!?
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Someone Send me a link for this survey FFS

Someone needs to be told
    http://iquestion.completemr.com/Q292...04759_26371990

'I hope you get cancer and die': Newcastle Jets owner Nathan Tinkler under investigation for abusing reporter

Andrew Webster
    Chief Sports Writer, The Sydney Morning Herald

"I hope you get cancer and die."

That is the alleged remark from Nathan Tinkler during a 15-minute rant at Newcastle Herald reporter Robert Dillon that has the controversial Newcastle Jets owner under investigation.

Tinkler is set to be issued with a show-cause notice by Football Federation Australia following a post-match meltdown after spying Dillon in the bowels of Hunter Stadium following the agonising 4-3 loss to Sydney FC last Friday night.

Dillon last year won a prestigious Walkley award for sports journalism for his extensive coverage of Tinkler's fall from grace as billionaire owner of the Newcastle Knights and Jets, and the failed racing and breeding operation Patinack Farm.

Tinkler spent much of Friday night's match on the hill with Jets fans, posing for selfies and enjoying a beer. After full-time, though, his mood became much darker when he spotted Dillon typing up his match report in the press conference room on the ground floor of the stadium.

According to witnesses, Tinkler made a beeline for Dillon, and then on several occasions referred to him as "spreading the cancer", that he was "a cancer", that The Newcastle Herald was "a cancer", before remarking that "I hope you get cancer and die".

One witness said: "This was a totally impromptu and unrelenting attack on the journalist, who was subject to a torrent of abuse on a scale and ferocity I have not witnessed. Nathan did not back down from his stance and his expressions grew progressively more profane, with a particular focus on denigrating Dillon and his newspaper as a 'cancer'. It was clear this was several years of pent up frustration being released in a single, furious tirade."

When a Jets official tried to intervene, Tinkler brushed him aside and kept going.

For his part, Dillon was more than prepared to cop the tirade. Journalists need to be prepared to get as good as they give, and the experienced Dillon did so. The complaint to FFA did not come from Dillon or The Newcastle Herald. But Tinkler's outburst clearly went too far, and it has continued to echo throughout the week.

The FFA is suitably unimpressed. Although head office was making no comment about the incident publicly, it is understood to be putting the finishing touches on a show-cause notice for misconduct.

Since Friday night, Dillon and Tinkler have been in contact. The fallen mining magnate was said to be conciliatory, but to suggest he had apologised is a bridge too far.

"Since Friday evening I have moved to clear the air with journalist Robert Dillon," Tinkler said. "We have communicated via e-mail and telephone and agreed to meet for lunch within the next two weeks with a view to building a more amicable working relationship. Our conversation last week was intended to be private, and was one in which I expressed my views that the Newcastle Jets, The Herald and the City of Newcastle are all stronger if we work together. Comments were made in the heat of the moment which Robert and I have discussed and moved on from."

Tinkler and The Newcastle Herald – which is owned by Fairfax Media, publishers of The Sydney Morning Herald – have been butting heads for years, with his Hunter Sports Group shutting local reporters out for simply writing about his downfall.

This is just another episode in the melodrama surrounding the former Muswellbrook sparkie. He's called the "Boganaire", but he remains an intriguing character nonetheless.

Despite the continual uncertainty around his sporting interests, he remains steadfast about his belief that he has the Hunter's best interests at heart.

"I've always been about this Newcastle and Hunter community," he said less than a week ago. "I've always thought it deserved better than what it's got and I want to try to help it win. I've been like a duck in the pond; I've been calm on top of the water and pedalling like nothing else under it, trying to help this club get stabilised."
    All class
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/i...23-1mrlzs.html

The line in the middle of the article says it all.
    Journos have to cop it as they dish it out in spades.
    No one seemed to care when Fergie did similar things for decades.
    no problem here.
    Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Had to laugh at that last line "Just surprise us".....reminds me of when I ask my young bloke what does he want for breakfast and he replies...."Surprise me!!!"

There will be no surprise, just the same old bullshit!
    Still talking about breakfast???

Journos must genuinely love when stuff like that happens to them. They just hit record on their phones or whatever, and just see them headlines being printed over and over. What I don't think Tinkler and any other person ever to publicly speak out at journos understands is those attacks actually mean sfa to the journos, and all they see is a chance to write more articles and increase their rep every where. So Dillon was probably stoked with the outcome of all this.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Journos must genuinely love when stuff like that happens to them. They just hit record on their phones or whatever, and just see them headlines being printed over and over. What I don't think Tinkler and any other person ever to publicly speak out at journos understands is those attacks actually mean sfa to the journos, and all they see is a chance to write more articles and increase their rep every where. So Dillon was probably stoked with the outcome of all this.
    Exactly.
    I loved the part about "Dillon didn't make the complaint he understands how it works blah blah blah" when it's obvious that Dillon was on the blower 3 sec after it happened to get his workmate to ghost write it for him.

Banned
    I stayed there for a fair bit after FT

Tinker was on the ground with Muppet for ages

Then walked down tunnel

Must have been 100 tops when I walked out

I am not disputing Tinker abusing Dillon but it surely hasn't happened the way the story has been told.

If he spotted him he could easily walked through grandstands to give him spraying

I stayed there for a fair bit after FT

Tinker was on the ground with Muppet for ages

Then walked down tunnel

Must have been 100 tops when I walked out

I am not disputing Tinker abusing Dillon but it surely hasn't happened the way the story has been told.

If he spotted him he could easily walked through grandstands to give him spraying
    What are you smoking Member?
    Since when has the Press Conference Room been visible to anywhere you would have been able to see
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/30...vella/?cs=2439

JETS chief executive Mitchell Murphy has vehemently denied that Zenon Caravella’s unsanctioned interview last week cost him a farewell game with the club.

The Jets confirmed last week that the 32-year-old would not be re-signed, after 45 games for Newcastle, 20 of them this season.

But any hopes of an amicable separation dwindled when the midfielder spoke to FourFourTwo website in an interview that apparently blindsided Newcastle’s powers-that-be, who had intended to break the news of his departure with their own statement.

In a question-and-answer format, Caravella expressed his support for five teammates dumped mid-season and queried if his relationship with coach Phil Stubbins was ‘‘irreparable’’ after he rejected the chance to assume the club captaincy. The Herald was told that, in response to the interview, a Jets official advised Caravella that he was not in Stubbins’ plans for the final two games of the season and was welcome to part company with the club immediately, if he chose to.

Both Murphy and Stubbins denied on Thursday that Caravella had been overlooked for Friday’s clash with Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium for speaking his mind.

‘‘As speculated by the media, it is absolutely false to suggest that Zenon has not been selected for disciplinary reasons for our final game of the campaign against Brisbane Roar," Murphy said.

"Unfortunately for Zenon, he was out injured when we caused the upset of the season against Melbourne Victory.

"For continuity and an eye on the future, we have opted to stick with the squad that has performed exceptionally well in our two previous games.

"We respect and appreciate Zenon's contribution to the club since joining us mid-season and wish him all the very best for the future."

Stubbins, who said this week that he had "not closed the door on anyone" with regards to his final-round line-up, said he had not selected Caravella because he wanted to retain the squad who lost 4-3 to Sydney last week in a cliff-hanger.

"The reward is that the boys played quite well, albeit we didn't get over the top of Sydney with a win, but the boys that took part have done a good enough job to get the nod again," Stubbins said.

Asked if Caravella's interview had any bearing on his decision, Stubbins replied: "It's the same squad that's travelling up. That's what happens when you get a competitive squad. Players get opportunities to come in and play well, and if they do a very good service, there's no reason why we change things.

"And that's pretty much an answer to your question."

Caravella, who is weighing up whether to continue his 147-game A-League career, wished his teammates all the best in a game they must win to avoid the wooden spoon.

"Disappointed not to be selected for our final game against Brisbane Roar," he said on Facebook. "Would have loved to have one last game with my mates in a Newcastle Jets shirt after three seasons.

"But I've been around long enough to know - that's football. Wishing the boys all the best, and hope we finish off the season with a bang."

Meanwhile, Stubbins said he hoped to be in a position next week to tell a host of off-contract players if the Jets intend to retain their services.

Newcastle's free agents include Ecuadorean striker Edson Montano, Serbian import Enver Alivodic, Taylor Regan, Nick Cowburn, Sam Gallagher, Travis Cooper, Allan Welsh, Max Burgess and the injured James Virgili (ankle).
    So, Caravella now joined mid-season and Stubbins hasn't closed the door on anyone. Someone better tell Carney that he can still play for us because I don't know if he is aware the door is still open.

What a crock of shite this club is.

As if the last game of this season is going to make any difference to next year's quest... saying they want to reward the younger players, maintain continuity with an eye to the future... what an insult to the fans and to Caravella. I have previously said some unkind things about him, but his service to the club deserves one last game and send-off.
    There's a lot to be said about a person's demeanour as well... roundabout's FB page indicates he has good character and ethics.
    But then Griff never got a decent send off either, or the other players that were sacked.
    Sick of the Jets management spitting out shit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by westjet View Post
    im backing Tinks on this

Dillon is the type who loves to spout the downfall of everything but his aids ridden Knights. sh1t journo who only ever got an award from corrupt judges

Both Murphy and Stubbins denied on Thursday that Caravella had been overlooked for Friday’s clash with Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium for speaking his mind.
    hey Body, can stop the Murphy ass kissing now

Quote Originally Posted by westjet View Post
    Update...

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/30...by-ffa/?cs=305

JETS owner Nathan Tinkler has until Friday to make a submission after the A-League's governing body cited him over allegedly breaching its code of conduct.

The FFA released a statement on Friday confirming the citing, which was reported earlier in the day.

"Tinkler has been asked to explain certain conduct he is alleged to have engaged in after the conclusion of the official post-match press conference for the Hyundai A-League Round 26 match between the Newcastle Jets and Sydney FC on 17 April 2015," the FFA statement said.

Potential sanctions include a repimand, a fine or even a ban from entering a stadium.

Mr Tinkler has until 5pm next Friday, May 1, to make a submission.

Richard Bayliss just said Zac Anderson could be heading up the F3 next season.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Bit of a pretty boy, not sure what to make of it. Would it be at the expense of Taylor Reagan? That's the big question

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    Who?
    Some dirty Gypo
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjet View Post
    Bit of a pretty boy, not sure what to make of it. Would it be at the expense of Taylor Reagan? That's the big question
    Yeah with Mullen, Boogard and Regan I can't see him wanting to come here.
    I feel that Kanta could be slotted back into a CB as 4th choice for depth there.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I tell you all we're going for 3 at the back if that's the case. Called it months ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles