Page 76 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2441

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2015

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    The salary cap wasn't being questioned until the Perth thing, and even then, the scrutiny has been on how Sydney and MV are hamstrung according to Bozza and fellow pundits on Fox.

Makes you wonder.
    Good point.

To say Victory and Smurfs are hamstrung by the Salary Cap is just plain wrong. The way it is set up actually favours them over other clubs anyway. If we went to no salary cap it was also favour them more.

My issue is more so the belief that all is fair and even under the salary cap when it ain't.

If we are gonna have a salary cap it should be even across the board. No marquees no extra allowances no nothing. Clubs get $x to spend on 23 players and we go from there. Either that or just **** the whole thing off now and go down the road of La Liga and have a 2 team league.

The current situation is doing no one any favours except for Sydney and Melburn clubs as it gives them 2 quality marquees a talented young socceroo head start over the other clubs and then they have to jam 20 blokes into the roster with $2.55million whilst other clubs are spending $2.55 million tops on 23 players (except Perth) unless they can find some extra coin to spend on marquees when full well they can not compete at the level the Melburn and Sydney teams do and can only look at limiting the damage

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Good point.

To say Victory and Smurfs are hamstrung by the Salary Cap is just plain wrong. The way it is set up actually favours them over other clubs anyway. If we went to no salary cap it was also favour them more.

My issue is more so the belief that all is fair and even under the salary cap when it ain't.

If we are gonna have a salary cap it should be even across the board. No marquees no extra allowances no nothing. Clubs get $x to spend on 23 players and we go from there. Either that or just **** the whole thing off now and go down the road of La Liga and have a 2 team league.

The current situation is doing no one any favours except for Sydney and Melburn clubs as it gives them 2 quality marquees a talented young socceroo head start over the other clubs and then they have to jam 20 blokes into the roster with $2.55million whilst other clubs are spending $2.55 million tops on 23 players (except Perth) unless they can find some extra coin to spend on marquees when full well they can not compete at the level the Melburn and Sydney teams do and can only look at limiting the damage
    I think they are hamstrung in a way. It limits what they can spend inside the cap for squad players but can only have 3 outside. It allows them to get ahead but not ahead as a free-for-all. It's not equal by any stretch but it's not also a Spain-style either.

I'm for the marquee style too.

How do the US manage their salary cap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

**** the salary cap off.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I think they are hamstrung in a way. It limits what they can spend inside the cap for squad players but can only have 3 outside. It allows them to get ahead but not ahead as a free-for-all. It's not equal by any stretch but it's not also a Spain-style either.

Yanks initially had the USA Football mob sign all the players and then divvy them up to the clubs. I believe a fair amount of that still goes on for the lesser lights
    Exactly how it works now with the big name signings like Beckham Stevie G Villa Kaka etc and how they are funded I am not sure.

The MLS used to publish a report with all players salaries. I would love to see that happening in the A-League as it might make the market for players contestible if the smaller clubs at least know what they are up against with respect to what the bigger clubs are supposedly paying for players. Because I cannot for the life of me work out how Victory are under the cap - or Sydney for that matter.

Yanks initially had the USA Football mob sign all the players and then divvy them up to the clubs. I believe a fair amount of that still goes on for the lesser lights
    Exactly how it works now with the big name signings like Beckham Stevie G Villa Kaka etc and how they are funded I am not sure.
    Most professional sports in America operate this way. Players sign contracts that are sanctioned by the governing body. This is why trading works so well over there. The player is only going to get the same amount of money as per his contract, no matter which team's jersey he wears

Actually not a bad thing to look at implementing here. Would allow for a more transparent movement of players around the league, and potentially less money-centric moves

The MLS is in trouble though. There is a massive push to abolish the salary cap, have free marked and install pro/rel.

Salary cap is a bogus external force that has no place in football. **** it off ASAP and let the team that can bring 40,000 to a home game sign better players than the tinpot clubs that can only manage 5-10k.

Roar signed Berisha.
    We paid way more for Heskey.

We make shit personnel decisions.

The MLS is in trouble though. There is a massive push to abolish the salary cap, have free marked and install pro/rel.

Salary cap is a bogus external force that has no place in football. **** it off ASAP and let the team that can bring 40,000 to a home game sign better players than the tinpot clubs that can only manage 5-10k.
    This.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Roar signed Berisha.
    We paid way more for Heskey.

We make shit personnel decisions.
    Comparing the contrast between the Jets and anyone is irrelevant in this debate. We are dumb ****s who **** everything up we touch. End of discussion. Lets just stick to discussing the 9 other clubs who ain't cluster****s like us

Comparing the contrast between the Jets and anyone is irrelevant in this debate. We are dumb ****s who **** everything up we touch. End of discussion. Lets just stick to discussing the 9 other clubs who ain't cluster****s like us
    Like Mariners? Or Wanderers? Or how about the shite at City? Or the not so shite but only because they broke the rules Glory?

Nah cause you want to pass the clubs real problems onto the governing body to solve.
    Sink or swim. Life's like that.

Besides, we won the comp back when Syd and Melb had bigger populations than us.

Too many mongs out there got rid of Con and Remo and look where we ended up.

Banned
    Nah cause you want to pass the clubs real problems onto the governing body to solve.
    Sink or swim. Life's like that.
    As I said Either Salary Cap no additional lurks and perks or no salary cap.
    I can handle either way.

Our club is ****ed due to incompetent management will not make a lick of difference.

As for my point about bringing the incompetence from Jets into this debate pointless. We are a cluster**** and would be ****ed either way. The rest of the other 8 clubs may have their issues to reach the top of the tree but they are easily solvable and they are in a position to do so. Us on the other hand have that many issues we ain't reaching the top of the tree in the next 3 years if ever until we rid ourselves of the incompetent management

a free market system won't work in strayan football. if you have no cap, you can't have a floor, and the average strayan players are currently overpaid, protected by their bargaining agreement.

firdtly, the teams should have been established under a free market. to introduce after a delay doesn't make sense, since the small teams are at an inherent disadvantage here.

on a personal note, newy would be the firdt team relegated and would evaporate as an entity within weeks of the drop. the salary cap and the cushion of a fixed league system is the only reason the team still exists as a current entity.

whether you like it or not, the league is currently a foxtel summer driver of subscription, and is subsidised by them at a sustainable level. the league wouldn't exist without these protections.

furthermore, under a free system we would be playing out of the wanderers ground more befitting of our current fan-base without the costs associated with a premiere venue (but not pitch), which the club can't afford under the current system. not that there's anything wrong with that, but foxtel want a credible product (the league's raison d'etre) and that doesn't fit with full time use of a small field with limited facilities.
    we will loose

Oh I'm all for a cap for the simple reason idiots at most clubs need to be protected from themselves.

Am also all for expanding the cap in areas that bring more Berishas and Kahlfallahs to our league.

If that's at the detriment of Newcastle in the short term then so be it, because one day they might get around to doing something about it rather than sitting on their hands complaining that life ain't fair.

Heard from a couple of sources that the players are yet to be paid.
    Can just imagine likes of Boogaard, Lee and Alivodic now thinking...."Shit, what I have I signed on for here!!!"

Please Tinkler just fark off and take your Muppet boy with you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Heard from a couple of sources that the players are yet to be paid.
    Can just imagine likes of Boogaard, Lee and Alivodic now thinking...."Shit, what I have I signed on for here!!!"

Please Tinkler just fark off and take your Muppet boy with you!!!
    Ah, processed today. Therefore going in overnight perhaps?

Still not right.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Oh I'm all for a cap for the simple reason idiots at most clubs need to be protected from themselves.
    Nothing else on this topic needs to be said.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Yep, agree.

I have an inkling that things are going to kick off again once the FFA are clear of the grand final. I can see them (the FFA) thinking "lets get to the end of the season and we'll take it from there".

As I keep saying, the FFA have a product to protect so they can get the best possible deal from fox with the tv rights for sale next year (is it next year?)
    hmmm...will I be right.

I also wonder where this stands with regards to the players contracts. Has the inability to pay them made their contracts null and void? Can our players, like Perth's, now test the open market?
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 19-05-2015 at 02:15 PM.