Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 NEW FM League thread

Nests on the home dugout at Blacksmiths Oval
    Just read on the Belswans facebook page that the U/17's and U/19's games that were set to be played tonight at Valentine junior grounds have been called off.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho_theswan View Post
    Just read on the Belswans facebook page that the U/17's and U/19's games that were set to be played tonight at Valentine junior grounds have been called off.
    That's a shame. Was going to be top of the table clash in the 19s. Too many fields around town can't handle a bit of rain (if it's been called off for that and not something else).

Quote Originally Posted by NewyTy View Post
    That's a shame. Was going to be top of the table clash in the 19s. Too many fields around town can't handle a bit of rain (if it's been called off for that and not something else).
    That sounds like you're putting your hand up to fund improved drainage for all the grounds around. Although, it might be a bit more than simply putting drainage in, a lot of grounds are clay based, which doesn't let the water drain as well, so you may need to rip the ground up and put sand-based soil back in,
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    That sounds like you're putting your hand up to fund improved drainage for all the grounds around. Although, it might be a bit more than simply putting drainage in, a lot of grounds are clay based, which doesn't let the water drain as well, so you may need to rip the ground up and put sand-based soil back in,
    You make a very good point. Didn't think about the clay based fields. Rather the system we've got than make most fields synthetic like they do in Sydney.

You make a very good point. Didn't think about the clay based fields. Rather the system we've got than make most fields synthetic like they do in Sydney.
    Yeah, plus a lot of fields are either in the bottom of gullys, such as Myamblah Crescent, Harry Edwards and CB Complex to name a few. Main issue is that councils use the sporting fields as flood ways, such as Heaton Park and Walker Field, which means they're suspect to flooding.

Ideally, council would replace the top soil to allow the water to drain away faster. But when would you do it? The fields are pretty much used every week, either Cricket or Football would have to give, and I don't think either would give up for a season.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Yeah, plus a lot of fields are either in the bottom of gullys, such as Myamblah Crescent, Harry Edwards and CB Complex to name a few. Main issue is that councils use the sporting fields as flood ways, such as Heaton Park and Walker Field, which means they're suspect to flooding.

Ideally, council would replace the top soil to allow the water to drain away faster. But when would you do it? The fields are pretty much used every week, either Cricket or Football would have to give, and I don't think either would give up for a season.
    I played at Myamblah on Saturday in pouring rain and have no idea how it was allowed to go on. Ball was stopping, players were falling, crazy scenes. Agree, not much you can do to fix the problems at some fields, just hope for sunshine I guess.

Theres plenty you can do in clay based material that wouldnt require the removal of the whole surface.
    1. Diversion of the surface water via surface drains into pits and underground pipes - then into storm water drainage systems
    2. Subsurface drainage in the form of Ag Pipe around the perimter of the field and at some intervals through it, again draining into the pits that are coping with the surface water.

Quote Originally Posted by amishpanda View Post
    Theres plenty you can do in clay based material that wouldnt require the removal of the whole surface.
    1. Diversion of the surface water via surface drains into pits and underground pipes - then into storm water drainage systems
    2. Subsurface drainage in the form of Ag Pipe around the perimter of the field and at some intervals through it, again draining into the pits that are coping with the surface water.
    Sounds like you have more of an idea than myself

And I heard it was bad NewyTy.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Banned

I would also have thought the locations of sporting fields are a big issue. Most are on land not suitable for building houses shops etc.
    They are usually located in low lying areas, with creeks/drains near by or on reclaimed swamp.

Add in the clay bases typically found in the Hunter and lazy arse councils who do nothing to rectify the grounds drainage issues and we have what we have

Quote Originally Posted by amishpanda View Post
    and gypsom to help break up the clay

I don't know if council could really justify the expense of upgrading local parks just to untwist the knickers of some footballers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftback at Home View Post
    I don't know if council could really justify the expense of upgrading local parks just to untwist the knickers of some footballers.
    Local footballing people pay their rates and taxes.

Council then to do their job and provide adequate community facilities.

**** the art gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Leftback at Home View Post
    Council wont invest. The expectation (for our club at least) is that we apply to hire the ground year to year(no long term lease) but that any upgrades must be paid for by us. Our field (ZPL team, not NEWFM) have summer usage by Atheltics, and we had organised funding for drainage to be put in over the summer, but it was not approved by Council as it would impact on the Atheltics.

Nests on the home dugout at Blacksmiths Oval
    Well… Valo have done it again hey! Called off the games at Cahill Oval tonight. just letting anyone who was heading there that "the lights won't be on"! Bit of a joke!

Well… Valo have done it again hey! Called off the games at Cahill Oval tonight. just letting anyone who was heading there that "the lights won't be on"! Bit of a joke!
    This is ridiculous! That facility has fantastic ability to handle vast amount of water.

Thornton 2-1 up at half time. Both Thornton goals have come off foul throw ins but linesmans not on the ball. Cookers have controlled most of the game. Peter Pryce looking good up front and unlucky not to be on the scoresheet yet.

Thornton 2-1 up at half time. Both Thornton goals have come off foul throw ins but linesmans not on the ball. Cookers have controlled most of the game. Peter Pryce looking good up front and unlucky not to be on the scoresheet yet.
    Hey Ty, are any of the officials the same as the ones you saw who let a certain individual wear a beanie for an entire 1st grade game last week?

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Jet View Post
    Hey Ty, are any of the officials the same as the ones you saw who let a certain individual wear a beanie for an entire 1st grade game last week?
    Haha don't think so. I loved the beanie look. Game ended 4-1. Cookers lost their way late on. The bench was getting into banter with the crowd. Keen for the return game as it was a competitive match. Disappointing though. Sunday should be good out at Cessnock

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Jet View Post
    I don't think there is any rule that says you can't wear a beanie? As long as it isn't dangerous it is fine.. I could be wrong though

Quote Originally Posted by football_macigian23 View Post
    I don't think there is any rule that says you can't wear a beanie? As long as it isn't dangerous it is fine.. I could be wrong though
    Beanie, or headwear in general, has to be the same main colour as the jersey, so cookers would be black for example .
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out