Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: NFL - let's shoot and riot when we want thread

They've set the standard for a grand final win celebration. Hope we get the chance to better it
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    They've set the standard for a grand final win celebration. Hope we get the chance to better it
    Philadelphia is a notoriously rough and ready demographic.

Not uncommon for their fans to throw batteries etc. at opposition.

Also, their American Football stadium once had jail cells in the basement for the all-too common violent offenders. And a Kangaroo Court of sorts. Hilarious stuff.

Anytime a city has to pre-emptively douse lamp posts with hydraulic oil to prevent people doing dumb shit, it's a warning sign

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post

Also, their American Football stadium once had jail cells in the basement for the all-too common violent offenders. And a Kangaroo Court of sorts. Hilarious stuff.
    Old Trafford (and most big stadiums) have them too.
    but for sure Philly is one of those cities that embrace everyone thinking they are complete ****wits. they wear it as a badge of honour.
    which is just plain weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Old Trafford (and most big stadiums) have them too.
    but for sure Philly is one of those cities that embrace everyone thinking they are complete ****wits. they wear it as a badge of honour.
    which is just plain weird.
    sounds like gosford.

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2018...atch-tom-brady

as always, these are so very very stupid, but they make me giggle.

because im a child.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Touchdown Tom.

again.

You just cant kill that ****ing team.
    Seems like I am WRONG

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2018...atch-tom-brady

as always, these are so very very stupid, but they make me giggle.

because im a child.
    Damn you Plague - I'm now addicted to these videos.

Touchdown Tom.

again.

You just cant kill that ****ing team.
    bump.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Pretty average final for an occasional viewer.
    Both defences did their homework and did well. Edelman had a great game. That Brady to Edelman combo is all time.

Happy to say I was able to watch Tom Brady play.

Brady is only as good as his offensive line. Without effective blocking / protection he'd struggle like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Brady is only as good as his offensive line. Without effective blocking / protection he'd struggle like everyone else.
    yes but to be fair, the line is good because they pay their linemen. They can afford to do that because Brady takes massive paycuts each year in order to get his guys paid.
    Hes prob been on about 40% of his market value the whole time hes been eligible for a max contract. He does this on purpose, and that is to win.
    The NFL's success model these days is to have quality all across the park. Good coaches can pick the squaddies out on the opposition and torch them.
    Last 10 Superbowl winners i think only 1 team has had a QB on max money. All the rest have been cheap/rookie contracts and they have paid their other players.

As much as i like Aaron Rodgers etc, his continual whinge about having crap teammates falls on deaf ears because hes taking all the money.
    Blame the salary cap etc, its a valid argument. But the Patriots have it figured out and keep winning. While other teams keep putting all their eggs in one basket.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    yes but to be fair, the line is good because they pay their linemen. They can afford to do that because Brady takes massive paycuts each year in order to get his guys paid.
    Hes prob been on about 40% of his market value the whole time hes been eligible for a max contract. He does this on purpose, and that is to win.
    The NFL's success model these days is to have quality all across the park. Good coaches can pick the squaddies out on the opposition and torch them.
    Last 10 Superbowl winners i think only 1 team has had a QB on max money. All the rest have been cheap/rookie contracts and they have paid their other players.

As much as i like Aaron Rodgers etc, his continual whinge about having crap teammates falls on deaf ears because hes taking all the money.
    Blame the salary cap etc, its a valid argument. But the Patriots have it figured out and keep winning. While other teams keep putting all their eggs in one basket.
    I am assuming that Brady is making more than enough off the field in endorsements to make up for any shortfall in wage for playing football though??

How though does this compare to your other gun QBs ??

Are they in a position to take a pay cut ??

I am assuming that Brady is making more than enough off the field in endorsements to make up for any shortfall in wage for playing football though??

How though does this compare to your other gun QBs ??

Oh for sure Brady makes plenty of coin outside of football.
    Its just that he 'chooses' to take less than he can that makes him an outlier. He is on about $14m as opposed to max contracts like Flacco and Rodgers who are on well over $30m. That $16m per year buys you 'A LOT' of NFL talent in key positions.
    Add to that they never pay huge money for wide receivers and running backs (MVP Edlemen is on about $4m, the highest paid receiver in the NFL is on about $17m).
    You add up those sort of differences over a 53 man roster and it helps you spread talent much further.

How many sportspeople get paid what they are 'worth', as opposed to getting paid what they can get. Brady can get max money from probably 20 of the 32 teams, and most people would take the money over winning. He doesnt, and its a very rare occurrence in sport (and life i guess).

90% athletes want the biggest contract strictly for ego. they have no idea of how much they get. In the 90's NBA one player actually had a contract that said he had to be the highest paid player in the sport. So every time someone got paid more, he got a payrise to make his contract $1 more. Suffice to say it made the NBA change their whole structure.

and yes, Bradys wife earns way more than him, so i think they are covering the mortgage each month.
    Seems like I am WRONG

yeah NFL contracts are very team friendly. Most players have very little guarantee and people get cut all the time.
    Rodgers etc can go to management at any time and tell them to restructure his deal in order to afford better teammates.
    He would then have to trust his owners/management to actually spend that money on good players, and pretty much all NFL owners are shitcunce who cant be trusted, because thats how people become billionaires and be able to own NFL teams.

But in the case of Rodgers, his team recently gave him a payrise for no reason, spending millions more on a bloke they had already paid a bunch of money to.

Again, good on Rodgers for taking the money, and its not hard to cheer on millionaire athletes for taking billionaires money.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Apparently the MLS cup final had about 4000 more fans attend the same venue a couple of weeks ago

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    Apparently the MLS cup final had about 4000 more fans attend the same venue a couple of weeks ago
    That dont mean a lot

I would imagine the NFL took up more space for corprates and those were sold at a premium they wont miss the extra 4k in attendance

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    Yeah let's not even hint that theres a comparison there.

Atlanta has done a brilliant job with MLS.

But the NFL owns sport in that country and it ain't even close.

Yeah let's not even hint that theres a comparison there.

Atlanta has done a brilliant job with MLS.

But the NFL owns sport in that country and it ain't even close.
    Baseball draws four times as many fans to games each year than the NFL.

Major League Baseball: 69,625,244
    NFL : 17,788,671

NFL has a higher average attendance but they don't play anywhere near as many games. [67k vs 28k]

Revenue wise NFL supposedly makes more money than MLB but very difficult to determine and estimates vary widely between sources.

I like both sports but if I had to choose it would be baseball without even hesitating. NFL has become ridiculous to the point of being a caricature of its former self.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 06-02-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Baseball draws four times as many fans to games each year than the NFL.

Major League Baseball: 69,625,244
    NFL : 17,788,671
    162 baseball games vs 16 for NFL isnt anywhere near a relatable stat and even average viewers can be a bit misleading. Teams like Yankees regularly get full houses, where as a team like Miami pulls less than the Jets.

TV ratings-wise, for context, the most watched World Series game was when the Cubs finally broke a 100 odd year curse to win drew just under 50 million viewers domestically. The lowest rated Superbowl of the last 20 years drew 100 million.

Plus the NFL has a much much bigger worldwide audience.

Plus current trends are mostly pointing down for baseball (falling ratings/attendence/ageing demographic) but the NFL is still going up.
    In 20 years time I'd be shocked if the NBA isnt the #2 sport.

Apparantly Soccer is a 'sleeping giant' though.

162 baseball games vs 16 for NFL isnt anywhere near a relatable stat and even average viewers can be a bit misleading. Teams like Yankees regularly get full houses, where as a team like Miami pulls less than the Jets.

TV ratings-wise, for context, the most watched World Series game was when the Cubs finally broke a 100 odd year curse to win drew just under 50 million viewers domestically. The lowest rated Superbowl of the last 20 years drew 100 million.

Plus the NFL has a much much bigger worldwide audience.

Plus current trends are mostly pointing down for baseball (falling ratings/attendence/ageing demographic) but the NFL is still going up.
    In 20 years time I'd be shocked if the NBA isnt the #2 sport.

Apparantly Soccer is a 'sleeping giant' though.
    Baseball has never recovered from the doping scandals that tore the sport apart in the 1990's.
    If they ignored the problem / covered it up like the NFL have and do they'd be doing a lot better.

Not a criticism of NFL either - they look after their brand better than anyone. MLB has never paid anywhere near the attention it needed to its brand.

Also, in this very PC world we live in baseball is on a hiding to nothing as well.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 06-02-2019 at 09:18 AM.