Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Murphy out

Can confirm along with others that this bloke actually seems quite switched on.
    tbh he's the opposite of a yes-man for Tinkler as far as I'm concerned.

Respect to Middleby for the effort he put in, but let's be honest, he was way out of his depth in terms of running a national football club. Murphy is like the anti-Middleby.

Assuming Tinks doesn't lose it again, I think we'll start seeing much better things later this year, a pity it's about 5 years too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

TWG: What is the cub’s current position on the three players remaining players told they are no longer wanted and offered terminations – David Carney, Adrian Madaschi and Billy Celeski?

MM: The bottom line is that David Carney is contracted for remainder of this season and the whole of the next and we hope we can come to a resolution with him before the end of the year. We don't see him as part of the playing group going forward and we're not going to go back on that. With the other two (Madaschi and Celeski) the sticking point is they want their contracts paid out in one hit, while we are saying we want to pay through the normal monthly pay cycle. If they accept that then they can leave tomorrow. If not, they can stay with the club for the rest of the season.

TWG: There is still financial uncertainty surrounding the club due to unpaid superannuation and other debts including tax liabilities. How close is owner Nathan Tinkler to resolving those issues?

MM: Nathan has certainly taken steps in the last month to clear components of the club's debt and that's public knowledge. With the remaining issues, we’re going to handle that professionally and directly with FFA and not play it out in the media. The communication and dialogue with FFA is very transparent. I am certain we will meet our obligations as required.

TWG: You are trying to re-engage with Jets fans after a bitterly disappointing season which has turned many of them off the club, at least for the time being. How do you win them back?

MM: I don’t think you need to be a rocket scientist to understand that the core reason for the disenchantment is that we’ve won only one game all season. They are tremendously loyal and passionate fans but they also demand and deserve a winning football team and want to feel confident they have CEO who will proudly represent the club and I can assure you we’re going to raise the bar as high as any club in the league in terms of how we engage with our fans and local community.

TWG: Where are you up to in recruiting and retaining players for next season and rebuilding the on-field standing of the Jets?

MM: We’re at ground zero. We only have four or five players contracted for next season and it's a wonderful opportunity to rebuild the squad. The signing of Nigel Boogaard from Adelaide sends a clear message on the type of player we are looking for – somebody who will give 100 per cent but just as importantly brings leadership skills on and off the field. We are in serious negotiations with three or four key players but we are a couple of weeks away from completing any of those signings. We are also very keen to keep hold of (Korean import) Lee Ki-je beyond this season.

TWG: There has been a lot to contend with in the three weeks since you took the job. What are you main objectives?

MM: It’s very clear; we need to put together a squad for next season that plays a good brand of football and is super competitive and puts us in a position to contend for finals. In recent times the selection process in bringing players to the club has been very ad-hoc. We also need to engage with the grassroots and we’re already talking to Northern NSW Football, whose participation numbers are going through the roof and we need to tap into that. You will never win a title with just home-grown players but ideally you want to see them as part of the mix. You may find this boring, but we’re going to have 60 members of a local football team, mainly from African backgrounds, at our game against Sydney FC on Friday night. I was driving past them at 8pm the other night playing on a suburban ground. I stopped, introduced myself and gave them tickets to the match. I hope that type of proactive engagement turns those guys into Jets fans. That’s more important than running big TV campaigns, as far as I’m concerned. I want us to be seen as the benchmark for other A-League clubs. While there’s been a lot of negativity, we have good staff, a fantastic fan base and our Emerging Jets program, I would argue, is the best in the country.

TWG: Nathan Tinkler has been very supportive of coach Phil Stubbins, siding with him against the players when they sought to have him sacked. What are you expecting from him now?

MM: Phil Stubbins as a human being is a gentleman and a quality person and it’s fair to say he hasn't had total control of the squad we've had to run with this year. He will get the chance to play a key role in selecting his squad of next season. But, like any coach, he then needs to get results. The general support around him has been lacking in the extreme and he probably went through a three-week period where he was the CEO and coach combined after Robbie Middleby's departure. That’s a lot of pressure.

TWG: The football on offer from the Jets this season has been basic at best and has lacked a cutting edge. It's been tough to watch.

MM: Right now, we have to play our strengths, which is holding teams at the back. But the reality is you can’t win if you don’t score and we are acutely aware we need to sign creativity in the midfield and strikers who can deliver and that’s what we’re working on.

TWG: Your niece is Matildas star Katrina Gorry, so you have football in your blood.

MM: Katrina is probably the best player in the Matildas right now. I was thinking about dual registering her. That would be an interesting PR exercise, the first lady player to play in the A-League!
    Straight shooter

His niece certainly couldn't do any worse than some of the flogs out there at the moment.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

"I don’t think you need to be a rocket scientist to understand that the core reason for the disenchantment is that we’ve won only one game all season."

Does he really believe that?

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Straight shooter
    Its interesting, but for me my disenchantment isn't so much to do with the fact that we have won only 1 game, but more to do with the way players were treated in the clean out.

I actually have no problems when Tinkler when he said the club needs a culture change and some players need to go. I am completely fine with that, and to an extent agree, for me its the way they went about it that has left me completely ambivalent about the club and its fortunes.

Ive been a season ticket holder well before the Jets were conceived, but I can not recall players being treated with this sort of contempt in any other iteration of newcastle football and it has soured football for me, not the results.

Probably not, but I reckon I'd we we were 20 from 20 not a single **** would given about tinkler not paying the superannuation and we'd have crowds of 15-20k

"it’s fair to say he hasn't had total control of the squad we've had to run with this year. He will get the chance to play a key role in selecting his squad of next season". That I disagree, posted earlier name of 10 players he signed......" But, like any coach, he then needs to get results"..... That I Agree.....
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    "it’s fair to say he hasn't had total control of the squad we've had to run with this year. He will get the chance to play a key role in selecting his squad of next season". That I disagree, posted earlier name of 10 players he signed......" But, like any coach, he then needs to get results"..... That I Agree.....
    Depends if it was him doing the signing or they were forced upon him from higher up.

Not that I have any faith in him to get results even if he makes the right signings. Far too negative and more focused on not losing than winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Depends if it was him doing the signing or they were forced upon him from higher up.
    Thats a fair point. Unfortunately we will never know the answer to that one.

Not that I have any faith in him to get results even if he makes the right signings. Far too negative and more focused on not losing than winning.
    That was him. The only restriction he had was that he could not sign any marquee because they are not under salary cap and uncle Tinks would then have to pay. That was the word from HSG after last season: every squad members under salary cap and we r not paying that ridiculous amount of $$$ for that Arnie bloke. That's how we ended up with Mr 1 in 20.
    Dare to Zlatan

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Its interesting, but for me my disenchantment isn't so much to do with the fact that we have won only 1 game, but more to do with the way players were treated in the clean out.

I actually have no problems when Tinkler when he said the club needs a culture change and some players need to go. I am completely fine with that, and to an extent agree, for me its the way they went about it that has left me completely ambivalent about the club and its fortunes.

Ive been a season ticket holder well before the Jets were conceived, but I can not recall players being treated with this sort of contempt in any other iteration of newcastle football and it has soured football for me, not the results.
    Agreed. Things have changed since he turned up though.

No media used to drag players named through to mud, Kew, griff sorted, etc etc

I agree 100% with your post! but having met the guy, I'm convinced he'll clean this part of the club up.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 05-03-2015 at 11:49 PM.

That was him. The only restriction he had was that he could not sign any marquee because they are not under salary cap and uncle Tinks would then have to pay. That was the word from HSG after last season: every squad members under salary cap and we r not paying that ridiculous amount of $$$ for that Arnie bloke. That's how we ended up with Mr 1 in 20.
    We must have different information then.

MM: It’s very clear; we need to put together a squad for next season that plays a good brand of football and is super competitive and puts us in a position to contend for finals. In recent times the selection process in bringing players to the club has been very ad-hoc. We also need to engage with the grassroots and we’re already talking to Northern NSW Football, whose participation numbers are going through the roof and we need to tap into that. You will never win a title with just home-grown players but ideally you want to see them as part of the mix.
    In other words it's business as usual with the absolutely no plan to get the club out of the shit.

The coach that has one win in twenty games has no idea how to play attractive football or indeed winning football
    I don't think there is a single fan with any respect for a coach that chases draws at home and until this khunt is out the door we will struggle to win, struggle to get players to sign, and membership number will continue to fall.

It's not the losing that's the issue it's the fact that many of us see the future as getting worse rather than better.

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    So Gaz AKA #Murphfanboi,

Is Murpherelli going to drag us through this shit for the rest of this season and most of next by not binning Stubbins now? I know he spoke to you very well and gave everyone a wristy, but surely rubbish binning Stubz should be priority one?

We must have different information then.
    Have we got a marquee player of any kind? NO (only HAL club who has not) Did we get Arnie? NO (apparently Mr 1 in 20 was the first choice from the start ) Was Tinkler keen to inject any $$$ in the club? NO Has Tinkler changed his tune since the new year? YES Do I trust him? NO
    Dare to Zlatan

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    MM: But the reality is you can’t win if you don’t score
    #str8shoota

Tinkler isn’t really injecting any funding, he’s simply paying out existing debts, using credit from a mate.

At least we’ll get to finally see some action, even if it’s off the field when the club and Tinkler finally implode, can’t wait, just hope Stubbins is still around so he can experience having the rug pulled from under him just like he did to the players.
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Have we got a marquee player of any kind? NO (only HAL club who has not) Did we get Arnie? NO (apparently Mr 1 in 20 was the first choice from the start ) Was Tinkler keen to inject any $$$ in the club? NO Has Tinkler changed his tune since the new year? YES Do I trust him? NO
    I'm referring to how much stubbins had in who was signed.

I'm in agreeance with everyone that the stubbins is not for this level. And I fear that giving him time to sort the squad will only end up with us sacking him 5 weeks into next year and being faced with the next bloke claiming he's not got the squad he wants.

I'm also in agreeance that the way the club handled the sackings of five players and three coaches was terrible. So is Murphy. But have a look at what's happened since he's arrived. Kew and griff get sorted, boogaard signed, tinkler has stopped mouthing off in the media.

I don't think Murphy has his head in the sand about stubbins managerial abilities, or the fans discontent about it, or the process use to sack the guys. I think tinkler does. B
    Murphy can't come out say mr1/20 is useless if tinkler won't agree to sacking him on the spot, and I'm not sure that'll be Murphy's style anyway.

Do I want stubbins gone? 100%
    Were the sackings handled poorly? 100%

But this bloke has been in charge for 3 weeks and can't sack the coach without tinkler's say so.... It'd be another contract to pay out. What he had had influence on has improved sharply. Let's not tear the new CEO down before he's had time. If we do, well end up with the club we deserve instead of the club we want.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post

I too agree with this point. Obviously winning would help, but from what I see most of the fans have an issue with the ethics of the club, more so than how shit we are on the pitch. We have been tripe for years and people still turn up every week, but something has changed this year (and that is the way the coach and the CEO treated the playing group).

But this bloke has been in charge for 3 weeks and can't sack the coach without tinkler's say so.... It'd be another contract to pay out. What he had had influence on has improved sharply. Let's not tear the new CEO down before he's had time. If we do, well end up with the club we deserve instead of the club we want.
    In other words. He's another useless muppet that pretty much has no say in the direction of the club.
    Before he even took the job on he should have said to Tinkler - get rid of Stubbins he's a liability.... and so on.
    To actualy come in knowing that Stubbins is here to stay Murphy is either foolish or simply drawing a salary while waiting for the club to go even firther down the shitter.

The club needs someone with the balls to sack Stubbins and it appears already that Murphy is not that guy.