Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Socceroos Transfers

Kisnorbo has moved to Liaoning Whowin.

And because it was so good, I've already made the joke "Better than joining Liaoning Wholose"

so schwarzer has moved to Chelsea. will be no. 2 behind Cech.

thoughts?

first, i think he has been a great servant of the game and appears to me to still be at the top of his game.

but i think his position is seriously undermined by going to chelsea where he is unlikely to see limited (if any) game time in the lead up to the world cup. for me, goalkeeper is probably the only position that is harmed by having the occassional week on the sidelines. i just think this is a crazy move. he would have been better off (in my opinion) moving out of the EPL to another league to guarantee first team football.

that said, do we have any first team keepers at a similar level now? langerak? federici?

He'll no doubt be on good coin, good on him.
    He'll learn from mourinho, good for him.

He'll coach the socceroos to a World Cup...... In 2030, good for us.

Langerak and even Covic must be keen for big seasons.
    Mitch isn't getting huge game time other.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 10-07-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Unless Cech gets injured, you can't see Schwarzer playing more than the occasional cup game, surely? Just seems a strange move for someone who wants to play at a WC next year. Dropping down a division and playing 40 games seemed to be the smarter move.

We are going to Brazil with Ryan in goals, aren't we?

he is 40 now, I think he is now at an age where he doesn't need to be playing week to week consistent football.

he will be training everyday with one of the worlds best keeper and one of the best set ups in England.

think about how many games Chelsea play a year 50? (champions league, cup games, etc.)

cech isn't going to play every game. if schwarzer gets close to 10-15 games I think he will be happy.

he wouldn't have signed for Chelsea without the assurances from Mourinho that he was going to get game time as well at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

he is 40 now, I think he is now at an age where he doesn't need to be playing week to week consistent football.

he will be training everyday with one of the worlds best keeper and one of the best set ups in England.

think about how many games Chelsea play a year 50? (champions league, cup games, etc.)

cech isn't going to play every game. if schwarzer gets close to 10-15 games I think he will be happy.

he wouldn't have signed for Chelsea without the assurances from Mourinho that he was going to get game time as well at some point.
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Assurances from mourinho mean **** all though

Cech was hardly in career form last season too. Would be interesting to see how many games he played last season across all competitions.

Schwarzer is one of those keepers that could take an opportunity and seize it. If Cech gets suspended/injured/whatever and Schwarzer is given a shot, he could make the spot his easily. Not many top clubs in England have keepers who could legit lay claim to the starting gk spot if given the opportunity.

In an ideal world he would be the no.1 for an EPL team. Unfortunately for him it's become clear that's not an option. I haven't followed it closely but I heard that the alternatives were Championship teams or even League 1 teams. That would be a far worse situation imo.

Like pv4 said, if he gets the chance he'll no doubt take it and take it well. There will be more than a few opportunities for him to play in Europe, Cup matches and so on.

From the pov of the Socceroos, the replacements are all there, so if we need to make the change I don't think we're going to be too put out.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

He should have gone to aresnal.....

4yrs ago.

From the pov of the Socceroos, the replacements are all there, so if we need to make the change I don't think we're going to be too put out.
    Who and where exactly?

Federici has fallen out of the #1 spot and is behind a 23yo prospect in Alex McCarthy.
    Langerak is bench warming behind Weidenfeller and isn't likely to oust him anytime soon.
    Jones is benchwarmer behind Reina (or whoever Liverpool bring in).
    Galekovic plays in a shit quality league.
    Ryan has just moved to a new country and no idea if he is even #1 there.

That's all of our Socceroo call ups in the last 12 months. If you want to look at those who have played in all age groups...

U23 - Birraz, shit league for one of the worst teams.
    U23 - Thomas, shit league behind Coe, not very good.
    U20 - Izzo/Duncan/Bouzanis -

So... who are the replacements you speak of?

Covic.

You just watch.
    He's in the a-league all stars team so he must be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Imyourhero View Post
    Cech was hardly in career form last season too. Would be interesting to see how many games he played last season across all competitions.
    This. Plus Cech is made of chalk.
    One good 'Gillooly' at training and the first team spot is open.

Plus don't Chelsea have some awesome young keeper out on loan in Spain somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    This. Plus Cech is made of chalk.
    One good 'Gillooly' at training and the first team spot is open.

Plus don't Chelsea have some awesome young keeper out on loan in Spain somewhere?
    The Belgian #1, Thibault Courteous. Apparently the original plan was 2 years loan at Atletico Madrid then 3rd season back in the EPL with a lower tier club. I don't think they expected him to cement the starting spot at Atletico Madrid like he has...

Ryan is pants anyway.
    Don't know what the ****ing fapfest is with the bloke.
    •rubbish under the high ball.
    •shit organizer/communicator.
    •gypo.
    •talks like a mong.
    •shit taking AND stopping spottys.
    •gypo.
    •one footed.

Gypo coaches know it too, no complaints when he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    The Belgian #1, Thibault Courteous. Apparently the original plan was 2 years loan at Atletico Madrid then 3rd season back in the EPL with a lower tier club. I don't think they expected him to cement the starting spot at Atletico Madrid like he has...
    Ahhhh that's him.
    Cheers Grimario.
    That kid is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Who and where exactly?

Federici has fallen out of the #1 spot and is behind a 23yo prospect in Alex McCarthy.
    Langerak is bench warming behind Weidenfeller and isn't likely to oust him anytime soon.
    Jones is benchwarmer behind Reina (or whoever Liverpool bring in).
    Galekovic plays in a shit quality league.
    Ryan has just moved to a new country and no idea if he is even #1 there.

That's all of our Socceroo call ups in the last 12 months. If you want to look at those who have played in all age groups...

U23 - Birraz, shit league for one of the worst teams.
    U23 - Thomas, shit league behind Coe, not very good.
    U20 - Izzo/Duncan/Bouzanis -

So... who are the replacements you speak of?
    All valid points, but there's far more concerning situations in other positions in the squad (e.g left-back, centre-back).
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

All valid points, but there's far more concerning situations in other positions in the squad (e.g left-back, centre-back).
    Absolutely but you weren't questioning them...

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Gypo coaches know it too, no complaints when he left.
    That may have more to do with his departure meaning they got paid that week rather than his footballing ability.