Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Cooking Thread

OK, went looking for a relevant thread and couldn't spot one and I need some help.

I had my first attempt at the weekend at a chilli tomato chutney and it turned out well. Except we bought some jars and we followed what we thought was the process for sealing them but they don't appear to be air tight.

Can anyone provide me advice on:

- Where to buy decent jars for long term storage of chutney/preserves

- The process you've used for sealing said jars.

Any tips are appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    OK, went looking for a relevant thread and couldn't spot one and I need some help.

I had my first attempt at the weekend at a chilli tomato chutney and it turned out well. Except we bought some jars and we followed what we thought was the process for sealing them but they don't appear to be air tight.

Great post and thread..
    I've been wondering the same actually, except I've been looking in to making some chili oil and wondering about the container/jar/bottle..
    I've been growing chilis on the balcony (yellow bhut jolokia - ghost chilis, chocolate habaneros and trinidad 7 pod pink) and am trying to work out what to do with the insanely hot bastards..

I'm afraid I can't help you Jeterpool, but am looking forward to hearing what anyone else can come up with.. haha

will get my wife to respond tonight.

Cheers belchardo.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Thought I had got the last BBQ days out of the season a few weekends ago but we've got another pair of 30ish days coming over the weekend, so going to get out there and cook some stuff on the weekend.

Recent blokey bbq pics...

The last one is a side of lamb, marinated in a whole bunch of greek herbs and spices. Was amazing.

Thought I had got the last BBQ days out of the season a few weekends ago but we've got another pair of 30ish days coming over the weekend, so going to get out there and cook some stuff on the weekend.

Recent blokey bbq pics...

The last one is a side of lamb, marinated in a whole bunch of greek herbs and spices. Was amazing.
    "blokey"? pretty sure I see tofu on there.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    "blokey"? pretty sure I see tofu on there.
    Haloumi. Tofu isn't allowed on the property.

Haloumi. Tofu isn't allowed on the property.
    Freaking LOVE haloumi. Squeaky cheese is the best!!
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Freaking LOVE haloumi. Squeaky cheese is the best!!
    absolutely HATE haloumi. Squeaky cheese is the worst.

Goats cheese is the best.

Mrs Grim made a bunch of jams when we were still in Maitland, didn't have much luck buying jars. Found some in shops, were either overpriced or shit quality that didn't seal well at all. She ended up buying a bulk box of 48 from somewhere online... will check when she gets home. And will ask about sealing as well... from memory it involved the oven, lots of sterilised trays and boiling water or something.

And will ask about sealing as well... from memory it involved the oven, lots of sterilised trays and boiling water or something.
    yes, this is what my wife does. and she just uses jars/bottles from things we've bought (like empty jam jars)

Mrs Grim made a bunch of jams when we were still in Maitland, didn't have much luck buying jars. Found some in shops, were either overpriced or shit quality that didn't seal well at all. She ended up buying a bulk box of 48 from somewhere online... will check when she gets home. And will ask about sealing as well... from memory it involved the oven, lots of sterilised trays and boiling water or something.
    yes, this is what my wife does. and she just uses jars/bottles from things we've bought (like empty jam jars)
    Sounds good gents, thanks.

The recycling of bottles is the route I'm thinking of going down because I'm not sure where to get them from.

Yeah, first few batches that's what we did as well... but we had 3 orange trees so there were a few batches of marmalade that we just didn't have enough jars for.

Having uniformly shaped jars helped as well.

Grim & belchardo - please ask if there are any tricks they use for removing air that might get caught in the mixture while pouring/spooning it into the jar.

If you have a dishwasher, run the jars through the hottest cycle you can without them breaking, obviously no detergent. Failing that, book the jars for ten minutes.

Mrs Grim also said that big w has a ball mason preserver starter kit with a heap of good stuff in it. They also stock top quality jars. Alternatively, spotlight has some as well.

Grim & belchardo - please ask if there are any tricks they use for removing air that might get caught in the mixture while pouring/spooning it into the jar.
    Put everything in hot, put the lid on while still hot then let it cool and settle upside down. Helps seal the jar and keep longer.

If you have a dishwasher, run the jars through the hottest cycle you can without them breaking, obviously no detergent. Failing that, book the jars for ten minutes.

Mrs Grim also said that big w has a ball mason preserver starter kit with a heap of good stuff in it. They also stock top quality jars. Alternatively, spotlight has some as well.

Put everything in hot, put the lid on while still hot then let it cool and settle upside down. Helps seal the jar and keep longer.
    my wife agreed, but she boils the jars and then puts them in a low temp oven (100-120C) until dry. keep warm in the oven and fill.

my tips: good quality apron, a funnel, and good heat resistant gloves. that stuff is f'ing hot, sugary and sticky (if it's a jam). you don't want it on you.

my wife agreed, but she boils the jars and then puts them in a low temp oven (100-120C) until dry. keep warm in the oven and fill.

my tips: good quality apron, a funnel, and good heat resistant gloves. that stuff is f'ing hot, sugary and sticky (if it's a jam). you don't want it on you.

Cheers gents

If yall are keen on cooking, watch Jon Favreau's movie Chef. It was great for a watch and got your mouth watering. After I watched it, I made Cubanos and they were amazingly delicious.

A couple of weeks back I made chimicurri to put on meat, and it was unreal. Delicious stuff. I probably made it a little too oily though, so next time I make it I'll attempt to thicken it up a bit. But I'll definitely be making it again in the future, it could go on any meat and be good I reckon. I'm led to believe Argentineans don't eat meat without it
    OK

Ok, before this thread gets too serious, (great thread by the way Jeterpool) anyone that starts a sentence with "what I liked about the dish was......".

Cooking shows have turned a whole heap of assholes loose onto our society.
    **** those people.

Also: Haloumi is the business. Well in sir.
    Last edited by plague; 24-03-2015 at 02:52 PM.

If you mention mouth feel, I will also go plague upon you.

Mrs Grim has recently been diagnosed as gluten intolerant. Gluten free pasta is ****ing atrocious. Thinking about making a spag bol with spaghetti squash instead.