Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 130

Thread: The Cooking Thread

  1. #41
    космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1991
    Posts
    456,915,834
    the risotto is actually pretty good given it cuts the labour involved by about 90%

    I still prefer to make it by hand but with the expensive blender I don't have to do anything

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Thanks Sammydog. Would you say you've found it value for money with the use you've had from it?
    I was deadset against getting it. Everything thrown up at the demos (yes we hosted a few before I gave in) was stuff we would never use it for. Sorbet, dips and other random stuff.

    Value for money, Id say yes, but only because we use it and have used it regularly since about 2007. I know a lot of people with them, and for the majority of them they sit in a cupboard unused.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    I was deadset against getting it. Everything thrown up at the demos (yes we hosted a few before I gave in) was stuff we would never use it for. Sorbet, dips and other random stuff.

    Value for money, Id say yes, but only because we use it and have used it regularly since about 2007. I know a lot of people with them, and for the majority of them they sit in a cupboard unused.
    Think it depends how much other kitchen equipment you have, the missus wants to buy one when we buy our own joint cause neither of us have much cooking stuff so it makes sense in that way as we aren't replacing anything with it.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Think it depends how much other kitchen equipment you have, the missus wants to buy one when we buy our own joint cause neither of us have much cooking stuff so it makes sense in that way as we aren't replacing anything with it.
    We did cull a lot of cooking stuff after getting it. Thing is, we never used the stuff we got rid of.

    Our Thermomix lives on the kitchen bench, it never gets put away, so we did end up with a lot of cupboard space when other appliances went.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,641
    seeing as we're all getting a bit of useful information about things in the kitchen, lets talk about knives.

    knives are great. i currently have three i use most days on the go:

    a miyabi kaizen 9.5 chef's knife


    a shun nakiri


    wusthof 7inch sandwich knife. dunno why they call it a sandwich knife, because i've never ever cut a sandwich with it. workhorse, ripping knife.




    what's everyone's tool of choice?
    Last edited by q-money; 06-06-2016 at 06:03 PM.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Bump for this thread.

    The wife is interested in getting a Thermomix and we had a demonstration yesterday. I'm not convinced because for the money, I don't think we would get the use.

    Who here has one (I assume Hawk's chef has at least 3) and how often do you use it? What do you make and have you found it value for money? Can it handle a capacity to feed your family? Has the novelty of it worn off?
    yup.

    Thermi's are great.

    You'll out grow all that demo stuff in a week. try curries, eggs, deserts, vegies 7 ways, cakes, smoothies, stews, pastries, soups, scones, pizza dough for the homemade stuff, custard (vanilla slice is boss), multi cake slices, yogurt, pasta, rice dishes etc. big advantage is not having to stand over and watch. set and go. Used it every day for couple of yrs. Cant do beer/cider/wine which is a deal breaker for some
    Last edited by hawk; 06-06-2016 at 06:29 PM.

  7. #47
    aka WLG pv4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,238
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    seeing as we're all getting a bit of useful information about things in the kitchen, lets talk about knives.

    knives are great. i currently have three i use most days on the go:

    a miyabi kaizen 9.5 chef's knife


    a shun nakiri


    wusthof 7inch sandwich knife. dunno why they call it a sandwich knife, because i've never ever cut a sandwich with it. workhorse, ripping knife.




    what's everyone's tool of choice?
    I use any of the clean knives left in the knife block we got from kmart or something
    OK

  8. #48
    космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1991
    Posts
    456,915,834
    slowly building up a collection of Wusthof Culinar knives - they are brilliant, I have five of various sizes, just waiting for an excuse to get the bread knife and a 20 centimetre cooks knife



    got one of them dicky Furi knife sharpeners too, which works brilliantly


  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    406
    Anyone do any meat smoking? I have a mate who's been doing for a few years and had just built a masdive trailer smoker (seriously impressive piece of gear). I've had a crack in the weber and am looking at getting a bullet type smoker.

  10. #50

  11. #51

  12. #52
    космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1991
    Posts
    456,915,834
    yeah my brother bought me a smoker thing and some wood chips for my birthday last year, like this dealy



    I've actually just been using the wood chips straight on the bbq grill, putting an oven cooling rack over the top, smoking them right up and then cooking ribs on it - works brilliantly

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,687
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    seeing as we're all getting a bit of useful information about things in the kitchen, lets talk about knives.

    knives are great. i currently have three i use most days on the go:

    a miyabi kaizen 9.5 chef's knife


    a shun nakiri


    wusthof 7inch sandwich knife. dunno why they call it a sandwich knife, because i've never ever cut a sandwich with it. workhorse, ripping knife.




    what's everyone's tool of choice?
    Who needs knives, Ive got a Thermomix.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    Anyone do any meat smoking? I have a mate who's been doing for a few years and had just built a masdive trailer smoker (seriously impressive piece of gear). I've had a crack in the weber and am looking at getting a bullet type smoker.
    Yeah mate got a Pro Q for my birthday last August, gets used once a week at least can fit a fair amount of meat in there. Have yet to give brisket a shot but Harris farm have cape grimm semi regularly just don't want to **** up a $70 piece of meat.

    I mean if you have a weber its all sort of the same in the end.

    Want to upgrade to an offset but can't justify it at the moment.

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    seeing as we're all getting a bit of useful information about things in the kitchen, lets talk about knives.

    knives are great. i currently have three i use most days on the go:

    a miyabi kaizen 9.5 chef's knife


    a shun nakiri


    wusthof 7inch sandwich knife. dunno why they call it a sandwich knife, because i've never ever cut a sandwich with it. workhorse, ripping knife.




    what's everyone's tool of choice?
    **** hows mr Moneybags over here, got a basic set of Globals they go alright for the $$ paid, got some wet stones at home to keep an edge on them which always helps although the missus has put them in the dishwasher which has bought on some rust spots, am looking at upgrading to a Wushtoff set at some stage.

  16. #56
    Senior Member Bon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    3,231
    Not going to lie, all these pictures of decent cooking knives are making my giblets tingle..

    I've been looking to upgrade my kitchen knives at home (I can't even think of what sort they are atm) however I have a degenerate housemate who makes it hard to have good sh!t..
    I've always liked the Globals, would you recommend them skippy?? Those badboys look pretty hectic Q, any that you would highly recommend?

  17. #57
    aka WLG pv4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7,238
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Who needs knives, Ive got a Thermomix.
    m8 you have to cut your onion in half with something!
    OK

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,641
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    **** hows mr Moneybags over here
    getting married helps, no way would i be shelling out for these weapons

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,232
    We have owned Zwilling J.A. Henckels knives / cutlery for over 40 years. Ridiculously expensive these days but if looked after will outlast any of us. Now days they also have a budget line which seem to be ok for a lot less cash. Would take them over Globals any day of the week.

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Not going to lie, all these pictures of decent cooking knives are making my giblets tingle..

    I've been looking to upgrade my kitchen knives at home (I can't even think of what sort they are atm) however I have a degenerate housemate who makes it hard to have good sh!t..
    I've always liked the Globals, would you recommend them skippy?? Those badboys look pretty hectic Q, any that you would highly recommend?
    Yeah mate they are solid, as with everything treat them with care and they will last.

    This here seems like good value and I would consider it if it was in the budget at the moment.

    https://www.catchoftheday.com.au/eve...st=2&sid=knife

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •