Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Yeah mate got a Pro Q for my birthday last August, gets used once a week at least can fit a fair amount of meat in there. Have yet to give brisket a shot but Harris farm have cape grimm semi regularly just don't want to **** up a $70 piece of meat.

I mean if you have a weber its all sort of the same in the end.

Want to upgrade to an offset but can't justify it at the moment.
    Yeah looking at the Pro Q too. Went down to meatstock earlier in the year and some off the offsets are pretty good set ups. Even the pellet fed ones look user friendly.

I used the brisket from harris farm when i had a crack. Just cut it in half and did 2 cooks. Not ideal. If you can get a couple of mates to chip in for the beer $70 for the brisket and plenty of drinking hours works out at a fair trade to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Not going to lie, all these pictures of decent cooking knives are making my giblets tingle..

I've been looking to upgrade my kitchen knives at home (I can't even think of what sort they are atm) however I have a degenerate housemate who makes it hard to have good sh!t..
    I've always liked the Globals, would you recommend them skippy?? Those badboys look pretty hectic Q, any that you would highly recommend?
    the shun is absolutely brilliant if you want to splash out on something - you'll end up using it pretty regularly. the flat blade and blunt tip make it perfect for julienning, dicing etc. you push with it, instead of rocking like you would with a curved blade. it's choice. the miyabi is a top knife, maybe just a bit too heavy but still gets a fair bit of use.

on a more reasonable price point though look at getting a couple of wusthofs. the japanese steel of the other two is a nightmare to sharpen properly (it cracks and chips if you don't look after it), but you can keep the wusthof's sharp and the edge in good nick with a benchtop sharpener like what boz posted before.

i send the japanese ones off to a bloke to get done twice a year because i can't do it properly

oh yeah, bbq nerds - here's a question for you...weber q v ziegler & brown.

my old boy has a ziegler and brown and seems to go alright, what's the difference in the end? i googled it and there's a 50 page thread on the home of the weird dork, whirpool.com.au but i couldn't bring myself to read it

finally have a balcony in my apartment so looking for something i can fit on the end without taking up too much space

I have a Weber Q Family. We got it for our wedding almost 5 years ago and I use it 2-3 times per week. It's a change in cooking from a traditional BBQ and can take some time to work out the timing but I really enjoy it.

I've done roasts, regular cooking, breakfasts, veggies and pizzas. Accessories I have are the pizza stone, 3 sizes of trivet trays, the auto thermometer and I bought the cleaning brush too. I also bought the solid plate so doing eggs and the like.

The thing with the weber is cleaning down the grill every time you use it and the bowl every 4-6 months or so. Failing to do so will reduce the quality and taste. It takes about an hour to clean and do properly.

Unsure about Z&B. not used or seen them.

My advice if you go with a Weber - pay extra for the one with the temperature dial on the front. Roasting relies heavily on it so get it in-built.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I have a Weber Q Family. We got it for our wedding almost 5 years ago and I use it 2-3 times per week. It's a change in cooking from a traditional BBQ and can take some time to work out the timing but I really enjoy it.

I've done roasts, regular cooking, breakfasts, veggies and pizzas. Accessories I have are the pizza stone, 3 sizes of trivet trays, the auto thermometer and I bought the cleaning brush too. I also bought the solid plate so doing eggs and the like.

The thing with the weber is cleaning down the grill every time you use it and the bowl every 4-6 months or so. Failing to do so will reduce the quality and taste. It takes about an hour to clean and do properly.

Unsure about Z&B. not used or seen them.

My advice if you go with a Weber - pay extra for the one with the temperature dial on the front. Roasting relies heavily on it so get it in-built.
    Completely agree... my family Q is the best thing I've ever bought. I love cooking on it... everything from traditional bbq to roasts and pizzas. Ive even done stuff like fried rice and the mrs did a cake once which was good.
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I've got a Webber Q, had it for about ten years using it 2-3 times a week

started every time, cooks evenly - class act all around

though I remember whenvyou house sat for me Q that you had trouble using it - the key is to turn the gas on at the bottle

dunno about this Zeigler thing...they look weird

My family Q is the greatest thing I've ever owned. (including my hat with a peak in the shape of a jet)

get a babyQ or just the standard one and they are pretty portable for your hipster BBQ's in centennial park.

Weber if bought from a weber dealer (not Masters) come with pretty good warranties etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

I really enjoy cooking and Mrs Plague and I cook together pretty much every night and I'm far from an expert but love it but never ever got into the whole BBQ thing.
    Never owned one.
    Never wanted one.
    Never enjoyed food cooked on one.

Was thinking it was because my tastes aren't suited to BBQ style food then Jeterpool mentioned cleaning them and then I remembered why I want no part of that shit.

I am lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    I've got a Webber Q, had it for about ten years using it 2-3 times a week

started every time, cooks evenly - class act all around

though I remember whenvyou house sat for me Q that you had trouble using it - the key is to turn the gas on at the bottle

Mate look at getting a remote meat thermometer, I have a Maverick Et732, comes with 2 probes one for internal temp of meat and one for the pit temp which comes in handy when using charcoal.

Mate look at getting a remote meat thermometer, I have a Maverick Et732, comes with 2 probes one for internal temp of meat and one for the pit temp which comes in handy when using charcoal.
    Weber doesn't need charcoal. Cooks like an oven I guess. Appreciate the suggestion though.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Weber doesn't need charcoal. Cooks like an oven I guess. Appreciate the suggestion though.
    Yeah I know, but the ones in the lid aren't that trustworthy due to their placement and not reading the temp where the meat is, good for internal temps to avoid overcooking but if whats working works that hardly worth paying the money for it.

Yeah I know, but the ones in the lid aren't that trustworthy due to their placement and not reading the temp where the meat is, good for internal temps to avoid overcooking but if whats working works that hardly worth paying the money for it.
    That's a great point actually. I've always just relied on the meat probe. I've had not problems so far but if I start to, it's a point worth investigating.

I've always just relied on the meat probe.
    meat probe

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    meat probe

Phrasing
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Phrasing
    Danger zone..
    OK

Firepit season.
    Been doing a few camp oven meals lately.

Bought a paella pan this week -anyone got any tips and/or recipes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I tend to agree with Gav.

Anyone know where to get a suckling pig to chuck on a spit?

Anyone know where to get a suckling pig to chuck on a spit?
    I'd go straight to a Butcher. It would be a special order you'd have to get a quote on first.