Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Anyone know where to get a suckling pig to chuck on a spit?
    I was driving through Greta the other day and noticed the butcher there had advertising out the front for entire spit animals..
    But yeah, any butcher should be able to order in, as Jeterpool said..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I was driving through Greta the other day and noticed the butcher there had advertising out the front for entire spit animals..
    But yeah, any butcher should be able to order in, as Jeterpool said..
    Have you tried the baked potatoes at that butcher?? Not sure if they still do them...but wow!! They were great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Have you tried the baked potatoes at that butcher?? Not sure if they still do them...but wow!! They were great.
    Nah, I haven't?? What was so special?
    I only noticed the sign cause I had heard they sell a pretty decent jerky there and was trying to scope it out on the way past..

Nah, I haven't?? What was so special?
    I only noticed the sign cause I had heard they sell a pretty decent jerky there and was trying to scope it out on the way past..
    1 - They were reasonably priced.
    2 - They were huge
    3 - They had a great variety of toppings. They tasted pretty good too.

You don't expect a butcher to be selling baked potatoes, but they were. It was a good 12 months ago so I'm not sure if they are still doing it.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Missus bought a thermomix the other week arrived yesterday, am fairly impressed with it so far.

Picked up an 18cm santoku knife from Aldi the other day, solid bit of gear for $12

Missus bought a thermomix the other week arrived yesterday, am fairly impressed with it so far.
    A month on how are you finding the thermomix?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    A month on how are you finding the thermomix?
    It's a good bit of gear, and the missus has been using it heaps to justify the purchase which works out well for me. There is a major design floor in them that if you don't have the blades in properly and you put liquid in you can drown it pretty easily.

I was talking to a couple of chefs about them and they love them, the motor on them is insane.

If we already had heaps of kitchen equipment I don't know if it would be worth the money but we weren't replacing anything with it. The amount of recipes and what it can do is great and I imagine with kids it would make your life easier. Overall 7.5/10

There is a major design floor in them that if you don't have the blades in properly and you put liquid in you can drown it pretty easily.
    I didn't even know it functioned without everything set in place correctly. At least, I know it doesn't without the lid on.

Wtf are you guys doing to put the blades in incorrectly are you not securing that grey base bit properly or something?

My Mum has one which we use a bit. It's cool and all, but I find it a genuine pain to clean all the time. I also find it's self-cleaning spin cycle type deal to not work at all in actually cleaning it.

Apart from the chocolate custard, I don't think there's a recipe on the machine that we stick to by the book because we find the by the book recipes to be pretty bland. But the ability & freedom to add your own spin to it is good.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I didn't even know it functioned without everything set in place correctly. At least, I know it doesn't without the lid on.

Wtf are you guys doing to put the blades in incorrectly are you not securing that grey base bit properly or something?

My Mum has one which we use a bit. It's cool and all, but I find it a genuine pain to clean all the time. I also find it's self-cleaning spin cycle type deal to not work at all in actually cleaning it.

Apart from the chocolate custard, I don't think there's a recipe on the machine that we stick to by the book because we find the by the book recipes to be pretty bland. But the ability & freedom to add your own spin to it is good.
    The missus went to make pizza dough and just poured water into the Bowl so it flooded it, dried it out for 48 hours and is working fine.

Smashed out some beef ribs in the smoker on Saturday, 1st attempt and they were outstanding.

Got them off the butcher at Elermore Vale, he now stocks, beef short ribs, pork ribs with decent meat on them and beef cheeks. He is also sourcing briskets as well good to see someone getting the cuts of meat people are after.

Alright hows everyones summer bbqs and shit going?

Have picked up a weber kettle $15 a weber spirit $60 gumtree specials to round out my set for the moment, the spirit might get an upgrade to a Q at some stage.

Got a gasser for after work cooks when I can't be bothered lighitng up coals. Anyone got anything special they like to cook other than snags and minute steaks?

A favourite of mine at the moment is corn straight over the flame, or mix up a herb/spiced butter of some description slather the corn wrap and foil and on the bbq.

Was considering investing in a smoker, havent really looked into it yet.
    I have however decided that a dry rub on anything beef I BBQ is the way to go though haha
    Simple recipe of onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, sea salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin and oregano. Sprinkle a coating on the steaks, press into the meat and leave for an hour before bbq'ing over the flame.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Was considering investing in a smoker, havent really looked into it yet.
    I have however decided that a dry rub on anything beef I BBQ is the way to go though haha
    Simple recipe of onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, sea salt, pepper, smoked paprika, cumin and oregano. Sprinkle a coating on the steaks, press into the meat and leave for an hour before bbq'ing over the flame.
    For a cheapie have a look at the fornetto bullet smokers @ Bunnings. I have a pro q and doesn't get as much use as it used to but still love it.

If you want to treat yourself for a beef rub check out hardcore carnivore rub made by my other missus Jess Pryles, I haven't tried it myself but will be ordering some at some stage.

Am attempting my first full brisket on Saturday in the smoker am nervous and excited.

Am attempting my first full brisket on Saturday in the smoker am nervous and excited.
    Nice man.. Are you using any sort of rub on the brisket??
    My brother-in-law brought his smoker up for our last family bash, it was absolutely brilliant..

What time is dinner?

koth party at skips

Nice man.. Are you using any sort of rub on the brisket??
    My brother-in-law brought his smoker up for our last family bash, it was absolutely brilliant..
    Going Aaron Franklin the king of brisket style, just with salt and pepper I think.

We are doing a bit of a meatfest, will have pulled pork, buffalo wings, proscuitto wrapped brie, some sausages etc

Have since convinced 4 people to purchase smokers since owning mine.

buying one of these for my father in law who enjoys burning shit, they're bloody tremendous

https://www.chefsarmoury.com/collect...table-barbeque

last new years eve instead of hitting some shitty party me and the mrs stumped up some bank and did the degustation at momofuku seiobo at the Star in the afternoon, old mate Paul Carmichael did marron, and a kingfish head over the coals, bucket list stuff. the bloke is a genius.

the restaurant is nuts, just a couple of barbecues and three induction tops

it's defo worth the cash, the matching booze is off the chain

the japanese binchotan charcoal is deadset amazing, you'll never use any other crap again