Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012/13 pre season

yeah i think that korean dude is starting too

This is correct.
    Jobe is still a few weeks off being able to get to light running, but will be ready to go for the start of the season.

From FFA website

New recruit Mark Birghitti will start in goals while the back four will consist of Scott Neville, Tiago Calvano and trialists Josh Mitchell and Lee Soung Yong.

The midfield will feature Ben Kantarovski, Ruben Zadkovich and James Brown with the forward line to be made up of Adam Taggart, Michael Bridges and Ryan Griffiths.

Van Egmond said he had opted to start Soung Yong and Mitchell in order to take a closer look at the pair, while he also expected most of the Jets squad to feature at some point during the game.

“Lee Soung Yong will start and Josh Mitchell will start because I need to see both of them in a game situation,” he explained.

“We’ve got everyone fit bar Marko Jesic and Jobe Wheelhouse, apart from that everyone else should get some game time.”

Van Egmond also indicated that goalkeepers Ben Kennedy and Mark Birighitti would share game time throughout the pre-season trial games.

Don't forget to do a report for me guys. Cheers.

Just a heads up - I don't think I will make the match tonight. Starting to come down with a flu and don't really want to risk making it worse with the wet and cool weather.

Hopefully at least one of the prospective reporters will be in attendance

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    Just a heads up - I don't think I will make the match tonight. Starting to come down with a flu and don't really want to risk making it worse with the wet and cool weather.

Hopefully at least one of the prospective reporters will be in attendance
    I'll be there. Dragging the wife along. Will write down what I can and submit it on here.

Might be in attendance

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I'll be there. Dragging the wife along. Will write down what I can and submit it on here.

PM me. goes for anyone writing some stuff down. ta.

Any updates on score?

Its already 2-1 for us, Taggart getting both.

"Taggart coming off with what looks to be a groin injury. Craig Goodwin comes on to replace him." - from our Twitter.

And so it starts......

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    hey, he got further than Culina

3-1 now. Half expecting the next update to be that Gallaway scores after this...

@_Grimario
    @NewcastleJetsFC Whose missus does Gallaway have incriminating photos of? Wouldn't get a run for the Stockton Sharks.

Was Virgili.

Full time:

Newcastle Jets 3 (Taggart x2, Virgilli)
    Broadmeadow Magic 1

Write you something tomorrow blackmac

Quote Originally Posted by coastiehater View Post
    yeah i think that korean dude is starting too

Can confirm he was in final 3rd more then defensive 3rd
    we should of been 3-1 up inside 20 minutes we were so wasteful
    Last edited by Hamma12; 27-06-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamma12 View Post
    we should of been 3-1 up inside 20 minutes we were so wasteful
    This is probably the most accurate thing hamma has ever written.

For those who couldn't make it, it was basically like this:

Start of the first half we were all over them, it was like Barca vs anyone else. R Griff missed a huge sitter, somehow skyed it over the bar from 6 yards out after a shot from Brown. Then out of nowhere Magic got the sneakiest goal, some shouts of offside, ball was hit hard but straight at Birighitti and he got down, got his body behind it, but contact was weak and it went over him and into the net. Very shit for Birighitti to make such an amateur error on his debut, you have to feel for him, but this is what keepers are there for, you have to expect better.

After that the Jets continued the way they were, and ended up bagging two simple but well-worked goals. Taggart's finishing was good, nothing spectacular but solid, and he generally took up some very good positions and linked up well with the players around him. He could've had a third as well after some nice work with his feet in the box, only some smart defending from a Magic defender saved them.

From then on the game pretty much died away. The Jets were still on top for the rest of the first half, but they allowed Magic to come into the game more.

The second half was basically all the Youth team. I would say they had the better of the play over the Magic team (who also ended up using some of their younger players towards the end), but they weren't creating the huge number of chances around the box that the senior team were making.

Random other comments:

Korean du - very impressive for a trialist. You have to acknowledge that this was against Magic, so defensively he wasn't tested at all, but in attack he was very sharp. He was better on the ball and faster and decision making than Byun. He showed a good understanding of the game and the tactics GVE was trying to play to. From this one appearance I would say he was better than Byun, but then again Byun looked very good against Olympic last season, so it might not be that clear cut.

Mitchell - strong, looks to have adapted to GVE's game plan very well, always played the ball out from the back BUT he was never really under any pressure. Can't judge a central defender in a match like this.

Tiago - still great at playing out from the back, was picked to start ahead of Regan which tells you something about how GVE rates the two.

Magic keeper - had a great game, stunning save in the second half that was world class. If he had been trialling for a contract he probably would've won one.

Formation - interesting, I saw it as a 4-3-3 which basically went like:

Taggart......Bridges.......R Griff
    Brown...............................Rubez
    ............................Kanta.................
    Korean du....Mitchell....Tiago....Neville
    ..........Biri

But quite often Bridges was dropping back deeper into the hole behind him, and then looking to pass through to Taggart, R Griff or others:

Taggart.............R Griff
    Brown................Bridges...............Rubez
    ............................Kanta................. ..
    Korean du....Mitchell....Tiago....Neville
    ..........Biri
    Last edited by militiamon; 27-06-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Korean was garbage, always out of position and showed little goin forward, had no confidence to take players on, lost his footing quite a bit so maybe he was scared on tripping over with the ball. Made it hard for Mitchell to pass it out wide to him cause he also took up a position hiding behind a defender and expecting the ball pumped down the line when it was obvious he didn't have the pace.
    Magic were very organised at times defensively but jets opened them up quite a bit early. Taggart made some good runs early, brown was good but was hacked every time he got it.
    Thought Goodwin and Neville provided good width bombing on down the flanks and would of provided better crosses had they had a decent "9" like J.Griff to aim for. Cooper showed some good raw talent and zad showed that he is maturing into a decent midfielder.
    Anyway just some of my thoughts. Almost forgot, developing a weird crush on Connor chapman. Absolute gun.

I was impressed by Virgili today on the field. He seemed to have grown up a lot since last season.

Or maybe he just feels like a senior member already with all those new and young ones in the team.

Maybe it was a different perspective, he always seemed to take up good positions on the wing to me. Advanced, yes, but I don't think there was any time I thought he was obviously out of place.

Scared? I thought he was actually very confident, always calling for the ball, yelling etc. He didn't take players on because that was not how GVE wanted us to play, instead he made lots of quick, one-touch passes so that we retained possession and kept the ball moving. And as for losing his footing, I think I saw that once when it was raining quite heavily.

Not saying you're wrong either, this is just my take on it, although afterwards a lot of people I spoke to seemed to have the same impressions.