Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 14/15 HAL Round 26 | Newcastle Jets vs Sydney FC | Friday 17/04/15 ko 745pm

Banned
    A WEEK after staging one of the most remarkable upsets in A-League history, the Jets are chasing an equally memorable encore when they host Sydney FC at Hunter Stadium on Friday night.

Written off as $10 outsiders with the bookmakers before last Friday’s clash with Melbourne Victory, Newcastle scored a 1-0 win that belied the 30 competition points and nine ladder positions separating the two teams.

Not only did the win lift the Jets out of the cellar, leapfrogging two points above Western Sydney in the race to avoid the wooden spoon, it provided Newcastle’s players with a confidence boost as they prepared for their last home game of the season.

With just one win on their own turf this season, and no goals in their past four outings in Newcastle, the Jets have hardly made themselves at home at Turton Road.

But coach Phil Stubbins said there was a collective resolve to provide the Novocastrian faithful with something to celebrate after a largely frustrating campaign.

‘‘It means everything to us,’’ Stubbins said after training on Thursday. ‘‘We’ve actually won two away games on the trot, against Western Sydney Wanderers and then Melbourne Victory, and in the last two home games, against Adelaide and Perth, even the opposition acknowledged we were unlucky not to win.

‘‘We’ve not had a season that we want to write home about, but in the last four games I think we’ve done OK.

‘‘So we look forward to Sydney FC coming here and putting a smile on our supporters’ faces. They deserve it. ‘‘They’ve gone through their own angst and whatever else they’ve had to endure throughout the course of the season, but we can hopefully finish the season off in a strong way and give them some hope and faith for where we’re going to be next year.’’

With two rounds left in the regular season, Sydney are three points adrift of leaders Victory and in contention for the Premier’s Plate, or at least a top-two berth in the play-offs.

See your ad here
    The Sky Blues are unbeaten against Newcastle this season, after a scoreless draw and a 1-0 win, and beat them 2-0 three times last season.

Stubbins described them as ‘‘probably the form team in the competition at the moment, and certainly the best team away from home’’.

The coach was delighted with Newcastle’s desperation and desire last week but said they would need to ‘‘go to another level’’ against Sydney.

‘‘They’re strong in every area,’’ he said.

‘‘They’re very effective and capable of scoring goals.

‘‘We’ll have to be at our best, not only defensively, but also we have to be better in possession of the ball.

‘‘We’ve got our hands full, but we’re looking forward to the challenge.’’

Newcastle will need to contain the in-form strike force of Bernie Ibini, Alex Brosque and Marc Janko, the league’s leading scorer with 16 goals.

Stubbins rated Janko the most dangerous striker in the competition.

‘‘The goal return would suggest that,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘He’s obviously in a very good team, which helps.

‘‘So I’d say, as a whole, Sydney’s got a very strong, powerful team, and Janko is probably the icing on top of the cake for them.

‘‘For the goal return he’s got, I think any team in the league would want someone who’s scoring as many goals as he has this year.’’

The Jets have retained the same squad who beat the Victory but added young attacker Travis Cooper.

Midfielders Zenon Caravella and Ben Kantarovski, who missed last week’s game with ankle and groin injuries respectively, were not considered for selection.

‘‘It’s pretty much the same outfit,’’ Stubbins said.

‘‘I think they need to be rewarded for their effort last week, and getting the win.’’

Sydney coach Graham Arnold is confident off-contract stars Janko and Ibini will stay on next season because of the little things the A-League’s biggest club can provide.

Arnold said marquee Austrian striker Janko, who has reportedly been offered a contract for next season worth $1.4million, was very happy at the club.

‘‘The players know what we provide, and they want to be at the biggest club, so we’re confident they’ll stay,’’ Arnold said before training on Thursday.
    I would much more like it if they rewarded us with actually getting their shit together fullstop rather than some end of season win that means **** all amongst years of failure

I would like to win this. so lets lose 5 nil

Is it just me or have two of our three wins this season been because of the opposition being off the boil? Adelaide destroyed us and couldn't finish about 60,000 shots at goal. Victory weren't quite as dominant with possession as AU but had about 2,000,000 shots at goal that missed. Even WSW was really only a win because Popa played a team of mostly youth to rest people for a competition they are still competing in.

Sick of all this "what a ****ing amazing effort" BS propaganda and PR spin.

Fully expect a borefest of a game.

Stubbins out

Hope we get beat 5 nil.

your man tinks is in the building

If we don't win tonight than I have to wear a Mariners Jersey as ill lose a bet. I put this on Stubbins head.

Stubbins out.

Was that crappy old hession bag Jets banner put behind the refs at handshakes to ward off any sneaky protest banners getting into shot?

Nice finish that.

Nice touch from hoole to cooper. Pity about coopers touch

Nice lazy bit of defending there by Mullen

Dreadful defending and keeping for the second

Well. Sydney's awake now.

and the third

Even our goals are as shit as us

so is Tinks buying drinks-I notice he is sitting with fans-bet not with the squadron

Gallagher on.... **** we're looking good better throw the shit **** on

*Sigh* well I never saw that coming

Kennedy. What the **** are you doing you dumb ****

We score 3 goals at home and we still loose!!!!
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

What the shit was with tinks in the squadron?