Thread: Jets Sign.

Wink Jets Sign.

In the wake of the Crouch rumours I feel it appropriate to air my opinions and hear out the thoughts of others on who the jets really should bring in.

Im not overly excited about the Crouch move but we could do worse! though i'm confident its about as likely a move as the jets being purchased by Roman Abramovich.

The jets should focus on bringing in genuinely talented decently aged players like Marinković or Janko but i do see value in some experience. This would be my hit list if i was the big rich marn who likes horses and beers with tha lads:
    (not in order)

-Mark Bresciano 35 (Currently Al-Gharafa)
    -Yasuhito Endō 35 (currently Gamba)
    - Kim Kallstrom 32 (FC Spartak Moscow)
    - Luca Toni 37 (Hellas Verona)

Obviously we need to focus on younger players for the future but in these players you could build an era from their ageing shoulders.

Other fun ideas:

-Freddy Adu 26 (Kuopion Palloseura)
    -Philippe Mexes
    -Rod Fanni 33 (OM)
    -Tomáš Ujfaluši (37)
    -Milan Baroš (33)
    -Djibril Cissé (33)
    -Anthony Réveillère (35)
    -Ricardo Carvalho
    -Florent Malouda (34)
    -Yossi Benayoun (34)
    -Joseph Yobo 34
    -Park Chu-young (29)

What do you think tink, sign me up?
    Your suggetions?
    Last edited by Opinionated; 21-04-2015 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Grama

Over the years players like Broich, Berisha, Janko, Hernandez, Finkler, Carrusca, Flores etc. have proven that you don't need a big name to be a success in the A League. Most of these players have come here still in their prime with a point to prove and the fire still in their belly, something, lets face it you just aren't going to get from a big name over 34 who has already achieved his goals in his career.

Agreed, but players like Ono, Yorke, del, culina. prove that you can build a team, create excitement and put bums in seats domestically and internationally by bringing in a name with a head that can lead a team. Managed well bringing in a name marquee can do exactly what they are for, lift the team off and on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Agreed, but players like culina. prove that you can build a team, create excitement and put bums in seats domestically and internationally by bringing in a name with a head that can lead a team. Managed well bringing in a name marquee can do exactly what they are for, lift the team off and on the field.
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Agreed, but players like Ono, Yorke, del, culina. prove that you can build a team, create excitement and put bums in seats domestically and internationally by bringing in a name with a head that can lead a team. Managed well bringing in a name marquee can do exactly what they are for, lift the team off and on the field.
    I think with 5 years of failure every Jets supporter would just rather an "effective" on-field marquee, one who is going to make a real difference on the pitch where it matters. You have a big name who yes, quote:"you can build a team, create excitement and put bums in seats" but that will only last so long if the team is not winning. Compare a "no name" like Milton who only played here one season but is remembered fondly because he played a key part in our season where we went from last to one win away from the GF. He wasn't a marquee but the influence he had here was probably just as good as one. Heskey on the other hand came here with the massive hype but because of various reasons didn't make the impact as a marquee that we all would've hoped and expected.

Alivodic and Leaky G are perfect examples of abilities being more important than names and wages.

I am almost certain that Tinkler doesn't have any plans to pay a marquee outside of the salary cap. He can't afford to and doesn't want to pour money into the jets anyway. They will look to fill the cap and that's it. I think we should completely change this list to a list of reasonable players on small wages from around Asia that we can find and give them to Stinks.

I think we would have already sounded out some players from the Asian Cup about joining. Or maybe some of Alivodic/Marinkovic's agents other clients.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Far out I'd love to see Kim Kallstrom in the HAL. Can't see him being keen though.

Apart from Bresciano, none of the names in the OP would put bums on seats.

A bums-on-seats style marquee is also really hard to get to the league if you're not based in Sydney or Melbourne, as most of them are after the city lifestyle.

I fully expect us to sign Lucas Neill as a marquee next season. And I think he will be really, really good both on and off the field.
    OK

Could you imagine Champions League Winner Djibril Cisse here? We think some of the haircuts and tattoos our boys currently have are out there....Djibril would put them to shame.

Even Champions League Winner Milan Baros would be great.

I think one player that would ace this league is Yossi Benayoun. He plays in a position where he can influence, unlike say Emile Heskey who had to rely on our blokes actually getting the ball into him where he could do something. Yossi would create enough chances that they'd be bound to get a few on target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Alivodic and Leaky G are perfect examples of abilities being more important than names and wages.

I think we would have already sounded out some players from the Asian Cup about joining.
    Legit: put Frodo in charge this is EXACTLY the road we should be travelling.

The second the words 'Peter Crouch' were muttered by our boss said to me that no one is paying any ****ing attention as to what it takes to win in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I fully expect us to sign Lucas Neill as a marquee next season. And I think he will be really, really good both on and off the field.
    Lucas Neill lol....U paging the Member? ....
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Lucas Neill lol....U paging the Member? ....
    He's baiting him. let him just sit in his office chair, slightly rocked back and chuckling to nobody but himself

Member bites in 3........2..........1.........
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Legit: put Frodo in charge this is EXACTLY the road we should be travelling.

The second the words 'Peter Crouch' were muttered by our boss said to me that no one is paying any ****ing attention as to what it takes to win in this league.
    You're not wrong. Look at Brisbane over the previous years, Melbourne this year, Wellington this year and even Perth.

Just need a decent coach.

Opinionated is obviously a PV4 multi.
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    You are easily the worst person on this forum. Srs.

I read recently we tried to sign Brett Holman as Aust Marquee but he knocked us back. If its true its a good sign that we are going after decent enough HAL quality players

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    Wrong. No gypos on opinionated's list

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

I am almost certain that Tinkler doesn't have any plans to pay a marquee outside of the salary cap. He can't afford to and doesn't want to pour money into the jets anyway. They will look to fill the cap and that's it. I think we should completely change this list to a list of reasonable players on small wages from around Asia that we can find and give them to Stinks.

I think we would have already sounded out some players from the Asian Cup about joining. Or maybe some of Alivodic/Marinkovic's agents other clients.
    My signature says otherwise

Banned
    Miroslav Klose

End of discussion

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    I don't think I understand what you're getting at.
    OK