Thread: Converting players to Fullbacks

Converting players to Fullbacks

Had an interesting conversation recently with another supporter about how Hoole came to the club originally from Magic as an attacking midfielder yet when he started playing in the Youth team, they converted him to a RB, where he even made his senior debut. Well before you know it we came up with a heap of players who, particularly under GVE, were moulded into RB's or LB's:
    Tarek Elrich: originally an attacking wide player
    Matt Thompson: originally centre mid, played LB mainly for 2 years ('06/07 - '07/08)
    Adam D'Appuzzo: originally centre mid but played mostly LB at Jets
    Andrew Hoole: as mentioned above
    Jacob Pepper: originally centre mid, was thrust into RB role for 1st half of '13/14 but "experiment" failed
    Josh Brillante: originally centre mid but converted to RB for 2nd half of '13/14 to cover for "lack of depth" in that position
    The latest in this long history of converting players to fullback is seemingly Nick Cowburn, a player who has always played predominantly in central areas mainly either in midfield or CB is now being preferred as a RB by Muppet.

Lets be honest Tarek as been a major success at either RB or LB but his amazing goal last night against Melb City makes one think what "might've been" if he had been nurtured in his inaugural years at the Jets in an attacking role.
    Hoole, I believe wasted at least 2 seasons (Youth/Seniors) at RB and it is evident that he lost his natural instincts in front of goal that he seemingly had as a teenager for Magic. Interesting that Arnold has stated that he sees him as a #10 and can't wait to start working with him, nurturing him for that role.

I think it just highlights the laziness of coaches like GVE and Muppet when they would rather just slot a young player into RB or LB just to basically fill the team sheet because they are good enough to play but in their eyes....not good enough to play in their natural position which is more of a challenge.
    Last edited by stopper2; 26-04-2015 at 12:22 PM.

Who's Brett Cowburn?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Who's Brett Cowburn?
    Sorry Nick...Fixed!

Converting players to fullbacks and vice versa can be fine, it's just all about picking the right players to make the swap

In some of those situations we actually got a really amazing fullback, in other situations such as Pepper or Gallagher being converted to LB from originally CB we got a piece of shit

Another name who was short lived in this experiment was Virgili, he played two games at RB i believe but at least one of those games got him praise for the first time in an age for actually not being incompetent

In some situations though I think fullbacks can make a better attacking option, I am still of the belief Lee Ki-Je is a better winger then he is LB, so experimenting with players in different positions isn't always the worst concept, and although we did it out of laziness it can on occasion produce the goods

Wenger did with Lauren.

So Tinks therefore thinks Stubbins is the man to do it with the next 13 signings.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Who's Brett Cowburn?
    Nicks dad and a former KB player

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    Converting players to fullbacks and vice versa can be fine, it's just all about picking the right players to make the swap

In some of those situations we actually got a really amazing fullback, in other situations such as Pepper or Gallagher being converted to LB from originally CB we got a piece of shit

Another name who was short lived in this experiment was Virgili, he played two games at RB i believe but at least one of those games got him praise for the first time in an age for actually not being incompetent

In some situations though I think fullbacks can make a better attacking option, I am still of the belief Lee Ki-Je is a better winger then he is LB, so experimenting with players in different positions isn't always the worst concept, and although we did it out of laziness it can on occasion produce the goods
    Some good points raised for and against.
    I think though the evidence shows that GVE had a morbid obsession with it, probably (no easily) more than any other coach in the A League to date.

Banned
    Think you have got to do it at a youngish age and stick with it.

No point doing it for a couple of years as a see how she goes effort like has been done with Pepper Hoole etc

Have to ID a kid at 16 and say he will most likely struggle as a Left winger at next level but if we get to work he will make a damn fine left back etc and stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Think you have got to do it at a youngish age and stick with it.

No point doing it for a couple of years as a see how she goes effort like has been done with Pepper Hoole etc

Have to ID a kid at 16 and say he will most likely struggle as a Left winger at next level but if we get to work he will make a damn fine left back etc and stick with it.
    Saw a lot of Hoole in his first season playing Yoof in the NBN State League when he got switched to RB and used to think "What a waste, these morons really don't know what they are doing". Rumour has it that when he went into a Youth Socceroos tournament with Okon and Milicic coaching, that they had some influence in him going back to a more advanced role on his return to the Jets after the tournament....or at the very least told GVE, WTF are you doing wasting this kid at RB!!!

In terms of players who are CB through youth and then start out as LB/RBs in beginnings of senior debuts, that is pretty normal.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Had an interesting conversation recently with another supporter about how Hoole came to the club originally from Magic as an attacking midfielder yet when he started playing in the Youth team, they converted him to a RB, where he even made his senior debut. Well before you know it we came up with a heap of players who, particularly under GVE, were moulded into RB's or LB's:
    Matt Thompson: originally centre mid, played LB mainly for 2 years ('06/07 - '07/08)
    Jacob Pepper: originally centre mid, was thrust into RB role for 1st half of '13/14 but "experiment" failed
    Josh Brillante: originally centre mid but converted to RB for 2nd half of '13/14 to cover for "lack of depth" in that position
    The latest in this long history of converting players to fullback is seemingly Nick Cowburn, a player who has always played predominantly in central areas mainly either in midfield or CB is now being preferred as a RB by Muppet.

Lets be honest Tarek as been a major success at either RB or LB but his amazing goal last night against Melb City makes one think what "might've been" if he had been nurtured in his inaugural years at the Jets in an attacking role.
    Hoole, I believe wasted at least 2 seasons (Youth/Seniors) at RB and it is evident that he lost his natural instincts in front of goal that he seemingly had as a teenager for Magic. Interesting that Arnold has stated that he sees him as a #10 and can't wait to start working with him, nurturing him for that role.

I think it just highlights the laziness of coaches like GVE and Muppet when they would rather just slot a young player into RB or LB just to basically fill the team sheet because they are good enough to play but in their eyes....not good enough to play in their natural position which is more of a challenge.

I could point you to a few kids from another region/association who went to our nations capital as attacking type players and under the guidance of a coach who shall remain nameless ended up learning to play at the other end of the park.

maybe we could even get players who are natural in their position. Then tweek them so they can fill in if needed. Nah, Stubbins wont bow to common sense

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    I could point you to a few kids from another region/association who went to our nations capital as attacking type players and under the guidance of a coach who shall remain nameless ended up learning to play at the other end of the park.
    .........and?????

Were they successful afterwards?

I remember listening to a debate about premier league CB's often starting out wide at RB/LB to learn more of their trade and the league before moving centrally. I wonder if this is the case with Cowburn? I guess locally, look at North, Topor-Stanley or Seb Ryall who have started out RB/LB and moved centrally as they mature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    In the Jets Yoof team he started as a CB.

About 18 months ago he started playing as a RB and played there all last NPL campaign.

Has been playing the occasional game at CM in the NYL the past season but the rest at RB

Clowns at Jets are doing the same to Reece Pappas. Started off in CM and then out to RB and now playing CB this season in the NPL

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Wenger did with Lauren.

So Tinks therefore thinks Stubbins is the man to do it with the next 13 signings.
    Kolo Toure used to be a RM or something too, didn't he?

Taylor Regan played wide/attacking mid for Azzuri before being converted to centre back for the Jets Youth.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    In the Jets Yoof team he started as a CB.

About 18 months ago he started playing as a RB and played there all last NPL campaign.

Has been playing the occasional game at CM in the NYL the past season but the rest at RB

Clowns at Jets are doing the same to Reece Pappas. Started off in CM and then out to RB and now playing CB this season in the NPL
    Thanks for bringing up Pappas Member. Watched him play over a number of years.

He always played as a CM and got picked for Joey's sides as a CM but like I said this club is lazy (or dumb) when developing it's young players. Anyone can see that he has the natural qualities for a good holding/defensive midfielder except the Muppets in the coaching staff!

Reckon if we had someone like young Da Silva from Perth, they would have ****ed around with his development also!

.........and?????

Were they successful afterwards?

Nope, and to a player had nothing good to say about the coach.