Page 71 of 160 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 3186

Thread: SQUAD FOR 2015/16 SEASON - no Griff, no party

Every year I wish we could sign nobodies like FFA Cup/A-League (not mickey mouse finals football)/Champions League winners like we have done. What a glorious bunch of nobodies.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    We have just cobbled together a squad of bits and pieces with no obvious plan how we are moving up the table in the future at all. It almost looks like the club have surrendered already this season with making the semis.
    Cap restrictions and the length and size of contracts for some who remain have no doubt played their part in limiting the improvements we could make in the playing squad.
    No doubt this season is as much about erasing memories of past limp performances as it is about setting up the squad and the contracts of the squad so that things can be built on again next year - id be surprised if there isn't another big clean out at the end of this coming season.

Big picture means this season is not about making the finals - miller has only ever said we "aim" to make the finals, or that we will "train and prepare" like a finals quality side. He's been very careful not to guaranetee anything other than making the team one we can be proud of. and others have said, if we come 9th, play with ticker, and beat the coasties, Ill be happy.

if the squad this season doesn't change much for next season, I'd be worried.
    We are still hamstrung by the remnants of the squad that was put together by Baartz, Middleby and Palmer.

parksey and gallaway's stillborn child la bazzle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    beat the coasties, Ill be happy.

If this happens just once this season that'll do me.

Cap restrictions and the length and size of contracts for some who remain have no doubt played their part in limiting the improvements we could make in the playing squad.
    No doubt this season is as much about erasing memories of past limp performances as it is about setting up the squad and the contracts of the squad so that things can be built on again next year - id be surprised if there isn't another big clean out at the end of this coming season.

Big picture means this season is not about making the finals - miller has only ever said we "aim" to make the finals, or that we will "train and prepare" like a finals quality side. He's been very careful not to guaranetee anything other than making the team one we can be proud of. and others have said, if we come 9th, play with ticker, and beat the coasties, Ill be happy.

We are still hamstrung by the remnants of the squad that was put together by Baartz, Middleby and Palmer.
    Agreed - the squad Miller would like and the one FFA will fund him are two very different things. FFS we had $600 in the bank when Tinks left !

My point is the mess that was created will take time to repair, intent and continued improvement is all I expect.

Solid team??

I reckon the squad we have this season on paper is massively inferior to the squad muppet assembled at the start of last year.
    The good Member finally shows his hand in the BK/Biraz debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Agreed - the squad Miller would like and the one FFA will fund him are two very different things. FFS we had $600 in the bank when Tinks left !

My point is the mess that was created will take time to repair, intent and continued improvement is all I expect.
    And the intent seems to be there. I think the squad last year on paper was very good, obviously it didn't perform, but I put that down to the work environment that the club had created with Tinkler and Stubbins.

I don't see the squad at the start of this year as any worse than that this time last season, but the coaching seems a lot more positive and focused. That will be the big change for us.

We can't forget that despite a heap of places being available, there wasn't a lot of space under the cap to use, and FFA aren't throwing money at marquees. Id expect more change next season as contracts come to an end.

All that said though, I am positive about this season. Will we win it....I doubt it, but I think we will see more from the team and club.

This is the squad for the Roar game...

Newcastle Jets squad vs. Brisbane Roar (Friendly): 1. Mark Birighitti (Gk), 2. Daniel Mullen, 3. Jason Hoffman, 4. Nigel Boogaard, 5. Ben Kantarovski, 6. Cameron Watson, 7. Enver Alivodic, 8. Mateo Poljak, 10. Leonardo, 11. Labinot Haliti, 13. Lee Ki-je, 14. Mitch Cooper, 22. Lachlan Jackson, 23. David Carney, 25. Brandon Lundy, 30. Blake Tuxford (Gk) (T)

http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/arti...s1p2e9de9wxbam

notables;

andy brennan might not have made quite the impact as of yet

and lundy obviously has made an impact which is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Also, no BK

Quote Originally Posted by BodyNovo View Post
    notables;

andy brennan might not have made quite the impact as of yet

and lundy obviously has made an impact which is good.
    Or the alternative... Brennan has made quite the impact and has nothing left to prove to be part of the regular squad. Lundy hasn't and is in the squad with a chance to prove his worth.

And no BK.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Or the alternative... Brennan has made quite the impact and has nothing left to prove to be part of the regular squad. Lundy hasn't and is in the squad with a chance to prove his worth.

And no BK.
    is Brennan injured? i dont think he has featured in any of the trials to date, even the intra-club one on the north-coast..correct me if im wrong?

i can only make the assumption that he aint much chop!

And no BK.
    According to the Herald, BK has stayed home with his gravely ill mother.

Banned

And no BK.

I would have thought that being Brennan has had injury issues his non selection would be down to that as he is probably behind the rest of the squad in fitness and also behind the rest of the squad in selction as he hasn't had the opportunities to state his case yet

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post
    According to the Herald, BK has stayed home with his gravely ill mother.
    Not good... though I guess with that kind of thing, it never ever is good.
    I would have thought that being Brennan has had injury issues his non selection would be down to that as he is probably behind the rest of the squad in fitness and also behind the rest of the squad in selction as he hasn't had the opportunities to state his case yet
    Wasn't even aware he was injured. What did he do and was he out for 6-8 weeks?

Banned
    Not good... though I guess with that kind of thing, it never ever is good.

Wasn't even aware he was injured. What did he do and was he out for 6-8 weeks?
    If I remember right he had some Hamstring issues not long after he started training with us

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    And the intent seems to be there. I think the squad last year on paper was very good, obviously it didn't perform, but I put that down to the work environment that the club had created with Tinkler and Stubbins.

I don't see the squad at the start of this year as any worse than that this time last season, but the coaching seems a lot more positive and focused. That will be the big change for us.

We can't forget that despite a heap of places being available, there wasn't a lot of space under the cap to use, and FFA aren't throwing money at marquees. Id expect more change next season as contracts come to an end.

All that said though, I am positive about this season. Will we win it....I doubt it, but I think we will see more from the team and club.
    Agree 100% sammy

Stubbins also can be blamed for our current situation too, in the second half of last season he upgraded BK's contract, extended Mullens and Leaky Gee's and enticed Boogaard here, all of them I believe on big coin now, with these four plus Carney taking up $1million of the cap.....since the cap is I believe only $2.4million, that's only 5 players taking up 42%!!! Meaning the club somehow has to fit another 17 or 18 players under $1.4million.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Stubbins also can be blamed for our current situation too, in the second half of last season he upgraded BK's contract, extended Mullens and Leaky Gee's and enticed Boogaard here, all of them I believe on big coin now, with these four plus Carney taking up $1million of the cap.....since the cap is I believe only $2.4million, that's only 5 players taking up 42%!!! Meaning the club somehow has to fit another 17 or 18 players under $1.4million.
    Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Thats exactly as I see our issue. Stubbins went nuts on a few existing players and left bugger all in the cap for the rest of the squad. It will take a few seasons to sort out that legacy.