Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The newcastle kb..ros...bre...uni... The newcastle re-brand!?

The newcastle kb..ros...bre...uni... The newcastle re-brand!?

From Newcastle KB United / Newcastle Rosebud United / Newcastle Breakers / Newcastle United and finally the Newcastle United Jets.
    Now we find ourselves as a city in a familiar position, asking the question, what does football look like in Newcastle?
    The Tinkler reign is over and if its one thing we are good at as a city its to have a whine dust ourselves and move on.

Its clear we have tried many models of football in this city! And we find ourselves here again, i believe now is the time to adopt what some of the biggest Clubs in the world have made a successful model! in fact a whole nation in the Bundesliga in Germany have achieved with huge success. The overseas owners is a fairytale to difficult to get right! local businessmen have their flaws! Falling short of giving Con a ring and submitting again to the reign of shiny gold jerseys and a Club named more after Williamtown then the whole city! We probably need to look at something different! Learning from Brisbane and not heading to south Asia should be heeded!

My hand is up to see the 17,000 odd fans that turn up to a Home match from time to time put in <$600 for a share in their club. The potential 10.2m raised would purchase a 51% share in the Club putting the club literally in the hands of the city. At a Jaffas fundraiser earlier this year at the Sunny Side Andy Harper and Mel McLaughlin very briefly discussed the Members owned option for our cities footballing future, They where onto something. No one individual or business would be able to own for then 49% share of Newcastle's Professional Football Club! It would finally mean the city and its club would be at unity not run by certain "footballing" experts or even "business men" the club would be ours and we would be the Clubs!

One thing is for certain this city deserves a football club that both engages the community and presents the world game on and off the pitch. Maybe its time for this city to put its money where its heart is and become the club we have only dreamed of!
    Last edited by Opinionated; 21-05-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Problem is that Tinkler has killed the passion in most people. I seriously doubt you would get 17,000 people to part with $600 right now. I can almost guarantee you won't.

IMO, now is not the time to float community ownership, but it would be good to seek out an owner who is willing to build supporter ownership over time, in instalments. Maybe in increments of 10% of the club, as capital is needed for purchasing facilities etc. I don't have an opinion on the ideal split. To me, any owner that is willing to have supporters on the board of directors is an improvement on where we are, and an indication they are willing to work with other people. It is going to be hard to find someone with deep pockets who will settle for 49%.

This still places us in hands of a person/persons with goals, ambitions and priorities other then football and the city... Since we sit back an expect our football to be brought to us! The hunger is in the city it just has to be called upon to stand up. The overlord ownership doesn't work for this city and never has.. We will always bight the hand that feeds us because we complain about the food. We need to feed ourselves. Its now or never. You have to find someone who wants to do that from the get go. I'm all for business ownership but 100% power doesn't work here and should have to!
    Last edited by Opinionated; 21-05-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Okay, well if you want 100% community ownership, you are going to have to present yourself to the FFA as a viable management group, and quickly.

It is not just hunger that is needed. The people who make decisions in management need to be strategic in managing long term and short term objectives, they need to have open communication channels with supporters, business community & football community. And they need to be able to pull in sponsorships - which I believe will only be possible if the Jets become palatable in bigger consumer markets eg. Sydney & Melbourne - not as their favourite team but as their second favourite team.

IMO, having majority supporter ownership does not guarantee this. So the ideal model is negotiable. It is the type of people that matter. The only way I can see it helping us is if having majority supporter ownership is something that appeals to people in making us their second favourite team, much like people like the myths behind FC Barcelona.

lel who in their right mind would ever let a bloke like MFKS near a club

Im not saying the fans run the Club.. they own it! The management is the same as any successful business or organisation you employ the right people for the Job. You have CEO's managers board remembers all of that! Becoming marketable in other cities is a great idea but you have to win over your own city before you go for others.

Ps look up who owns FC Barcelona.

Quote Originally Posted by tha_hauss View Post
    much like people like the myths behind FC Barcelona.
    Wiki: Founded in 1899 by a group of Swiss, English and Catalan footballers led by Joan Gamper, the club has become a symbol of Catalan culture and Catalanism, hence the motto "Més que un club" (More than a club). Unlike many other football clubs, the supporters own and operate Barcelona.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_sports_teams That's a Wiki list of "Fan-Owned Sports Clubs"

This is a model that can definitely work, not sure if it's something we could make work this quickly but definitely something i'd love to happen in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    Surely he can be no more insane then Con or Tinks...? does MFKS have the coin?

Quote Originally Posted by tha_hauss View Post
    Okay, well if you want 100% community ownership, you are going to have to present yourself to the FFA as a viable management group, and quickly.
    Can we CC in Gallop in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Im not saying the fans run the Club.. they own it! The management is the same as any successful business or organisation you employ the right people for the Job. You have CEO's managers board remembers all of that!
    Yeah but who employs your management team?
    Somewhere along the line your owners need to make decisions and if you have a few thousand of them they will immediately form factions/alliances that preserve their best interests.
    It's human nature.

You'll be shocked how much your average Joe expects out of his $600 investment.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    I'd bring him in him, wait til he inevitably turns up in the suicide vest demanding the return of Griff, and once that happens send him back to the looney bin to live out his days.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Somewhere along the line your owners need to make decisions and if you have a few thousand of them they will immediately form factions/alliances that preserve their best interests.
    It's human nature.

What he said.

There is so much ego and arrogance in football. It is not your typical business. People are attracted by the power to lord it over the thing that so many people love. Imo to find a humble owner who talks to people is priceless. If they let supporters join the ownership model, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Wiki: Founded in 1899 by a group of Swiss, English and Catalan footballers led by Joan Gamper, the club has become a symbol of Catalan culture and Catalanism, hence the motto "Més que un club" (More than a club). Unlike many other football clubs, the supporters own and operate Barcelona.
    It is more their symbolism for Catalan culture that makes them so attractive at their core. Plus the whole Total Football style which made them a truly international club. A combination of parochialism for who they are and an openness to the world. I'm sure the ownership model plays a part in the myth. I'm just not sure how much.

With the players salaries being covered by the TV deal surely there is only a couple of $million in operating costs a year at your average HAL team? If this can work in the lower leagues of English football surely it could work here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    With the players salaries being covered by the TV deal surely there is only a couple of $million in operating costs a year at your average HAL team? If this can work in the lower leagues of English football surely it could work here.
    The risk is installing inexperienced people who make costly mistakes. How much of the jets loss is down to the sacking of branko and jason culina?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    It's human nature.

We'll his share in the Club is just like owning 600 work of a million dollar company.. He can expect all he likes by the reality is he is just one voice.. the Problems you are posing are all solved in the normal share holder scenario of any millions of publicly owned companies world wide.

again.. the Problems you are posing are all solved in the normal share holder scenario of any millions of publicly owned companies world wide....

Name a humble football club owner?