Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Our new club - what do we want?

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    I see the need to change now as many associate blue/red with Tinkler and him stripping us of the gold.
    That's why I think gold is important. I see it as a colour of the Jets trying to differentiate themselves, and then a colour of a Chamipionship winning team, and then standing up to Tinkler to say that this is our club and it must be on the shirt, and then an act of protest in the mishandling of the club.

But I don't think it is a primary colour. It looks great as a colour to embellish the red and blue kit and the E & C kit.
    Last edited by tha_hauss; 30-05-2015 at 11:03 AM.

good governance and match winning football and y00f development should be what is sanctified here, over colours

and anyway, why can't we just have three strips, like every other club in the world does

red & blue home with a gold trim
    green & brown
    gold third kit

there is space for 3 in the double eff ay rules, why don't we just use it? cycle the away strips around every couple of years or something.

just stop losing every week and i guarantee this will all go away

Quote Originally Posted by tha_hauss View Post
    - Club values - Humility, Effort, Ambition, Respect, Teamwork - I want more than a team that gives 100% on the field, I want skill, guile, class, and players who kiss the badge and celebrate with the fans. The Jets should represent everything good about football, not just one aspect.
    - Structure - Majority owner who will offer ownership to supporters in the club - the money from supporters can go towards supporter facilities that have never been built (see below)
    - As mentioned above by someone else. The club should definitely have a supporter liason who is a real advocate within the club for supporter interests and is on all important management committees. I don't care if they work 1 day a week so long as they are passionate for connecting supporters to the club - no PR/Marketing types need apply, and should be segregated from commercial roles so there is no conflict of interest between pleasing supporters and sponsors.
    - The club start investing in/partnering with a facility near the stadium for supporters, and possibly admin facilities. This should include a bar with memorabilia, a museum, and some of its tennis courts should be turned into futsal courts. Use said money above from supporter investment in the club to make it top notch.
    - As GazFish already knows, adorn the Stadium with our rich heritage to make it our home. No point calling it a fortress if we do not make it look like our home first.
    - Financial - the club should communicate how it plans to keep out of financial trouble, should have strategies for major sponsorships, and we should know what the financial status is (especially if part owners) no more of this $20 million in debt being revealed when the club goes belly up and then blaming Newcastle for it or made to feel like we owe the owner something. You can hide all the detail if you want, just give us a financial summary of some sort. Revenue is this, Expenses is that.
    - Playing strip should be top quality. I don't care what brand but you have to look the part to play the part. Of all merchandise the playing strip generates the most pride in the team. It should be mint.
    - Respect (as per the values above) the players who leave. No legend of the club should EVER AGAIN leave this club in disgrace, with a cloud around their motives, or with a one line media release as their farewell.
    - Ritual - Brooksey once suggested that a new player's shirt should be unveiled at the Civic Park fountain. He based this on the affinity that Atletico Madrid fans have with the Neptuno fountain in Madrid. I think this is a great idea. The clubs PR people have never understood ritual. Make special announcements at the fountain, or on the City Hall steps overlooking the fountain. This is where we celebrated our championship win. The Jets used to be a club that tried things, were out in the community among the people. Then under Tinkler they all hid under their desks.
    - I don't want to ever hear a person from the club say that they want to move on from the past. There were good times and bad times in the past and we lived it.
    - The football media ALWAYS say - the Hunter has a rich history of football from the days of British migrants to the coalfields. CLUE: this is our point of difference. No need for a cliché like "Australia's newest oldest club". We have the history always with us. You wouldn't know it looking at the Jets of today. Learn how to build on this solid foundation.
    - No more "Believe, Unite, Join the Fight". Can we have something with a bit more style and depth and truth? If not, then just say "Memberships 2015/16 - on sale now"
    - Finally, we need to acknowledge that the Knights corner the market on the "working class town" thing. The Jets are creating a new culture that is something more than this. The Jets used to be, in the early days, cosmopolitan, flashy, cunning as well as gritty and solid. The club needs to be a bit more sophisticated than the Knights if we are to fully move out of their shadow. The club should remember this when it rolls out its football clichés. Don't keep trying to appeal to our working class roots. We are building on those roots but Newcastle supporters are more diverse than this.

I vote for tha_hauss to be next CEO of Newcastle football.

Great ideas here mate.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    good governance and match winning football and y00f development should be what is sanctified here, over colours

and anyway, why can't we just have three strips, like every other club in the world does

red & blue home with a gold trim
    green & brown
    gold third kit

there is space for 3 in the double eff ay rules, why don't we just use it? cycle the away strips around every couple of years or something.

just stop losing every week and i guarantee this will all go away

q-money, you always come up with a pearl of wisdom.

Okay,
    * A charter of values
    * club supporter liaison officer
    * Charter of financial responsibility
    * A policy of not lying to supporters
    * a deeper engagement with the community
    * a deeper engagement with the Junior Jets programme
    * As the players do not train all day, every day, every player to be assigned a local club and team as an assistant coach. Say under 12s to aid in identifying local junior talent
    *Junior Jets to include a scholarship system for those families without the means to pay the high cost of programme participation
    * Players to acknowledge the fans as a priority after each match; not 20 minutes after full time.
    * I like the idea of ritual. Presentation of the shirt in an iconic Newy location.
    * Create an atmosphere. Something like "This is Anfield" sign
    * Regular member forums where fans can have their say. Supporters are happy if they are heard, even if the club doesn't necessarily follow up on the fans point of view
    * Closer engagement with business. Make national companies understand that we get just as much air time as every other team and that as such we are value for the advertising dollar
    * Investigate the long term goal of a home. Partnership with the tennis club perhaps?
    * Two strips: emerald and cinnamon ( the colours of our city) and the gold in line with our historic win.
    * Appropriate acknowledgement of club stalwarts and servants such as Griff, BK and Regan (when they leave or retire)
    * A policy of grow your own talent. The current junior jets is just not good enough. The coaching is not good enough and the it is not yet producing future talent.

I'm sure there is more but that is all for now.

Jets membership with a child sponsorship option
    I would like us as a community club in Australia (new model) to consider offering Jets members an option to pay an additional dollar amount on their membership that would go towards sponsoring two children (one male & one female) within the World Vision Program.
    Along the way updates from World Vision & letters / photos from the children could be posted on the Jets webpage so members and the community at large can see the positive difference being made.
    With potentially 10,000 members or more and sponsorship being approximately $100.00 a month, I believe the Newcastle football community can make a long term commitment to two young people somewhere in the world.
    How good would it be if the club and players also committed to the program, uniting all of us in a common purpose other than winning a football match?
    There are already larger and quite successful schemes in place such as the 'One Goal: Nutrition for Every Child' campaign and the UEFA / Red Cross partnership.
    Ours is obviously a smaller program but never the less a valued and important commitment to others by the fans / club.

Get rid of bloody gimmicks like pet memberships.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    Jets membership with a child sponsorship option
    I would like us as a community club in Australia (new model) to consider offering Jets members an option to pay an additional dollar amount on their membership that would go towards sponsoring two children (one male & one female) within the World Vision Program.
    Along the way updates from World Vision & letters / photos from the children could be posted on the Jets webpage so members and the community at large can see the positive difference being made.
    With potentially 10,000 members or more and sponsorship being approximately $100.00 a month, I believe the Newcastle football community can make a long term commitment to two young people somewhere in the world.
    How good would it be if the club and players also committed to the program, uniting all of us in a common purpose other than winning a football match?
    There are already larger and quite successful schemes in place such as the 'One Goal: Nutrition for Every Child' campaign and the UEFA / Red Cross partnership.
    Ours is obviously a smaller program but never the less a valued and important commitment to others by the fans / club.
    I have massive issues with these so called charities and where the money really goes.

That's why I think gold is important. I see it as a colour of the Jets trying to differentiate themselves, and then a colour of a Chamipionship winning team, and then standing up to Tinkler to say that this is our club and it must be on the shirt, and then an act of protest in the mishandling of the club.

But I don't think it is a primary colour. It looks great as a colour to embellish the red and blue kit and the E & C kit.
    What could be more perfect than taking the clubs colours and embracing the E & C of our city in 2015, exactly 100 years after the 35th Battalion "Newcastle's Own" formed, the FFA should be looking to create an identity for the Jets, something the red and blue will never give us (its why I loved the gold) what better than "Newcastle Own".
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by NUGUNS View Post
    Buzz won't be happy
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

I want to see more transparency and accountability, especially in the way people are appointed to roles. For example Pascoe held the role of head of Football at Hunter Sports High for a number of years and then also stepped into the Jets Youth team coaching role, is this okay or is this giving one individual too much control? My opinion is the latter, think about it, that is why over the past few years we have seen a number of lads come up from Sydney High Schools to attend Hunter Sports High and at the same time play in the Jets Youth team. Pretty apparent that one person has been able to do this, pretty much on his own wim.

Also if you are in a coaching role at the club you cannot be acting also as an agent for a third party. This is bullshit and something that Baartz and Middleby knew was happening but like has been mentioned before the club had become like a "boys club" with mates being allowed to run their own agendas with no consequences.
    If we are going to become a truly professional club, this sort of rubbish can't be tolerated anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NUGUNS View Post
    My dog just said **** up. He's a member. legit

hey lads, another long-time lurker here. over my few years at uni so far one thing i've noticed is that there is a shit tonne of people wearing kits from euro clubs as well as the jets, leading me to believe there is a decent market to tap here. a partnership with the uni (discounted memberships, free students days, discounted drinks, shit like that) would be beneficial in the sense that it'd target a group of people who are interested in the sport and have a decent amount of spare time to kill. as an aside to this, hit up clubs like the jaffas and whatnot and give them free tickets to games every so often. get some crowd numbers happening. knights games are quickly becoming a crap place to take the family, capitalise on that.

as well as that, i know someone said it before, but any steps to make the pre-game and half-time shit less... awful, are beneficial. the announcer, although i'm sure he's a nice bloke, sounds like a knob. the music is too loud and drowns out any crowd noise. speaking of crowd noise, incentivise people to get into the active support side of things. song sheets etc., liven up the atmosphere in a way that seems organic as opposed to some dude on a loudspeaker yelling crap and then blasting kanye west and inxs and whatnot.

*please* serve better beers. i know stadium beer has a reputation for being pants but what is served is awful.

if you're going to keep the red and blue please stop pissing about with it. last year's kit was an abomination with those gradient stripes. solid stripes only. look at crystal palace's kit and replace the yellow on their kit with gold. with the right sponsor on the front (who will our sponsor be for the next season?) it'll look mint and i won't be ashamed to wear it outside. shit, even look at palace's previous kits (the ones sponsored by gac, which were one side red and one side blue, split down the middle, with yellow accents), they weren't half bad. keep the emerald/cinnamon kit as an away or third kit, but again do it justice. the BLK kits are gross. splash out and get nike to do it or someone like that. the 'lowest bidder wins' approach for something that stands out as much as the kit is ridiculous and makes us look cheap. i hate the wanderers as a club but their kits don't look half bad.

in the short term we need a reason for the average person to rock up. a lot of small, smart signings to build a good foundation are important in the long term but a proper marquee to get some sort of buzz going a la heskey would be mint. sign peter crouch and set up a deal with guzman y gomez where if crouchy scores there's half price nachos or something like that.

there's probably some other stuff i've left out but whatever. i wasn't a member last season so as far as i can tell i can't rock up to any of the forums that are happening, so this is the best i can do.

Quote Originally Posted by croy View Post
    (discounted memberships, free students days, discounted drinks, shit like that)

if crouchy scores there's half price nachos or something like that.
    This bloke is absolutely my new most fav poster.

You go get what's yours homeboy.

and if you haven't already seen, there's a 'politics thread' that I reackon you should come visit.

I'd say you've got some good stuff to add.

Welcome to the Foz.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    and if you haven't already seen, there's a 'politics thread' that I reackon you should come visit.

I'd say you've got some good stuff to add.

Welcome to the Foz.
    anything for you xo

You would have to ask George Liolio the full reason why gold was chosen, but from conversations I had with him, I believe that it was because he liked the look of New Orleans Saints or some other NFL team that wears gold, and he liked to stand out and be different. So the story with gold goes something along those lines.
    for historic value I'd really like to verify that story.

Newcastle was never gold (KB yellow was close) it was black coal and grey steel and maybe the old E&C.
    I dont much like kissing confederate ass for some glam colours. not that any of this will matter, results 1st

Quote Originally Posted by croy View Post
    hey lads, another long-time lurker here. over my few years at uni so far one thing i've noticed is that there is a shit tonne of people wearing kits from euro clubs as well as the jets, leading me to believe there is a decent market to tap here. a partnership with the uni (discounted memberships, free students days, discounted drinks, shit like that) would be beneficial in the sense that it'd target a group of people who are interested in the sport and have a decent amount of spare time to kill. as an aside to this, hit up clubs like the jaffas and whatnot and give them free tickets to games every so often. get some crowd numbers happening. knights games are quickly becoming a crap place to take the family, capitalise on that.

as well as that, i know someone said it before, but any steps to make the pre-game and half-time shit less... awful, are beneficial. the announcer, although i'm sure he's a nice bloke, sounds like a knob. the music is too loud and drowns out any crowd noise. speaking of crowd noise, incentivise people to get into the active support side of things. song sheets etc., liven up the atmosphere in a way that seems organic as opposed to some dude on a loudspeaker yelling crap and then blasting kanye west and inxs and whatnot.

*please* serve better beers. i know stadium beer has a reputation for being pants but what is served is awful.

if you're going to keep the red and blue please stop pissing about with it. last year's kit was an abomination with those gradient stripes. solid stripes only. look at crystal palace's kit and replace the yellow on their kit with gold. with the right sponsor on the front (who will our sponsor be for the next season?) it'll look mint and i won't be ashamed to wear it outside. shit, even look at palace's previous kits (the ones sponsored by gac, which were one side red and one side blue, split down the middle, with yellow accents), they weren't half bad. keep the emerald/cinnamon kit as an away or third kit, but again do it justice. the BLK kits are gross. splash out and get nike to do it or someone like that. the 'lowest bidder wins' approach for something that stands out as much as the kit is ridiculous and makes us look cheap. i hate the wanderers as a club but their kits don't look half bad.

in the short term we need a reason for the average person to rock up. a lot of small, smart signings to build a good foundation are important in the long term but a proper marquee to get some sort of buzz going a la heskey would be mint. sign peter crouch and set up a deal with guzman y gomez where if crouchy scores there's half price nachos or something like that.

there's probably some other stuff i've left out but whatever. i wasn't a member last season so as far as i can tell i can't rock up to any of the forums that are happening, so this is the best i can do.
    nice post. and agree with that overpriced sh1t they serve at the bar.

If there was $1 goon dips in the car park the students would flock. Fluids on Broady oval

Banned
    Only one thing needed by the FFA overlords.
    All this other stuff is just window dressing to keep the plastics happy

BRING BACK
    THE GRIFF

Here is another one for the "Wish List".....
    Don't think this has been mentioned but I think it has been proven over the past few years that 5pm afternoon kick offs between Nov-Mar are the least favoured by the majority of supporters.
    Can understand ther are 9 other clubs in the comp and we can't get our own way but I think that we should at least try to get the majority of our games for Friday or Saturday evenings. The quality of football is usually better, as is always the atmosphere, so all in all it makes for a better matchday experience.