Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Members Forum

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    No its not that I want them to send us an email.

I just don't think a fan forum is the place for them to run their mouths telling us how it is and the fans listening.

To me its the other way around

The fan with an opinion runs their mouths and EVERYONE there listens

If the FFA wish to communicate with us don't call it a Fan Forum call it an info night with updates on the situation of the club.

They are representing it as something completely different if it is just gonna be the FFA up running through what they are doing and
    the fans are just there to be TOLD
    Have you even read the invitation email ?

image.jpg

"The panel will be present to share key updates with members but it is the members who will be encouraged by the moderator to offer their opinions and views"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Have you even read the invitation email ?

image.jpg

"The panel will be present to share key updates with members but it is the members who will be encouraged by the moderator to offer their opinions and views"
    No mention of half of that stuff in the info they realised via social media and website links associated with it

the FFA has already fixed 2 of the biggest fkups ever by ousting those 2 jerks.

I cant see us having a say in the next 2 either that being the new coach and player recruitment which will decide whether the club is worth following or not.

The rest eg card thickness, colour of undies, music to be played can be sorted out by the mong brigade in heated arguments

Seem to be getting sidetracked about what the Member's Forum should be about fellas (getting sidetracked on the Foz, now that's a first!!!).....but seriously I fully agree with our MemberFKS, the key component in the new ownership model MUST have paying Members who have a voice in the future direction and decision-making which effects the club.
    You can talk about connecting with the community and all the other jargon being put forth but the best way of connecting is if Novocastrians truly feel part of the club.....not a franchise and the only way to achieve this is as suggested by being true Members....not just "season ticket holders".
    This is what needs to be the main focus, we don't get this in place, we will just be repeating the same mistakes over and over again in regards to ownership.

Anyone reckon full fan ownership is an option?

15k members paying $10 weekly would generate 7.8million.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Anyone reckon full fan ownership is an option?

15k members paying $10 weekly would generate 7.8million.
    Probably not

First up the issue is getting the 15k there you talk about. Until we get a winning team and what not we ain't getting 15k rusted on support.

Next issue is getting people to open their wallets.

Plenty of people may say they will. When push comes to shove though I doubt the amount who promised will back it up with action.

You will find some people who will happily pay more than the nominated amount. I WOULD

Sticking to a smaller percentage and building it up over time would be the best model

^^^^
    If you consider that many of the current 10,000 Season ticket holders are children than realistically I reckon if we were to initially get 5,000 Members that would be a decent starting point. If the Membership fee is $100 then I can't see too many families of four after getting season tickets, also forking out another $400 on top of that so that the whole family can be Members also.
    Gaz's idea is worth pursuing though, like Union fees the total amount as a lump sum seems a lot but when it is deducted weekly you don't even notice it. $10/week = $500/year I would be 100% for that idea!!!

Thought I read somewhere that the Dundee dude was looking for local business to invest $500,000 per year essentially to lose it operating the football club.
    I assume that's on top of the money he's already prepared to lose and outside of his projected revenues.

As many have said we've already cheap as chips season tix there is wiggle room to contribute more.

So why not see if the fans will put in a portion of that amount over and above the regular season ticket cost. then the onus on local businesses would maybe be more palatable.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    ^^^^
    If you consider that many of the current 10,000 Season ticket holders are children than realistically I reckon if we were to initially get 5,000 Members that would be a decent starting point. If the Membership fee is $100 then I can't see too many families of four after getting season tickets, also forking out another $400 on top of that so that the whole family can be Members also.
    Gaz's idea is worth pursuing though, like Union fees the total amount as a lump sum seems a lot but when it is deducted weekly you don't even notice it. $10/week = $500/year I would be 100% for that idea!!!
    Issue is Stopper.

Blokes like me and you and the likes on here are pretty rusted on with our support of the club.

The back end of last season showed our real support. We were down to the 4-5k mark with people just not giving a ****. I would also think that of the lot turning up some of them were only showing as they had paid their money and were just making use of it instead of walking away with nothing. How many of those 4-5k who were showing and were not gonna renew with Tinks and Muppet is now a mystery due to the reversal of ownership

People on here also comprehend the need for this model. I would also offer that a large part of our membership base are not as clued up as the intelligence found here.
    Just go read facebook posts from some of our fans to get an idea the general levels of IQ some of our fans have.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Thought I read somewhere that the Dundee dude was looking for local business to invest $500,000 per year essentially to lose it operating the football club.
    I assume that's on top of the money he's already prepared to lose and outside of his projected revenues.

As many have said we've already cheap as chips season tix there is wiggle room to contribute more.

So why not see if the fans will put in a portion of that amount over and above the regular season ticket cost. then the onus on local businesses would maybe be more palatable.
    Plague remember you bringing something up about you running a business and dealing with Jets in the past re sponsorship enquiry and not getting much value from them.

Out of curiosity from your perspective as a legendary business owner what exactly would you be prepared to contribute and what exactly are you wanting to get from a return point of view from the club for your $$

Not after you to commit just trying to get a perspective on why local business contributes little and what could be done to get them to contribute more

Plague remember you bringing something up about you running a business and dealing with Jets in the past re sponsorship enquiry and not getting much value from them.

Out of curiosity from your perspective as a legendary business owner what exactly would you be prepared to contribute and what exactly are you wanting to get from a return point of view from the club for your $$

Not after you to commit just trying to get a perspective on why local business contributes little and what could be done to get them to contribute more
    Good question Member.

My point here was essentially about paying more for season tickets to help Dundee man cover his $500k. No equity, no ownership, just normal membership rights. Pretty much as you and others have said before.

I maintain that having a public owned club is a massive can of worms that none of us are anywhere near getting to the bottom of. If you are asking John Q Public for coin they generally want more value for money than ownership would be willing to give them.

People in business tend to look bigger picture and would be prepared to lose money in the short term if the long term goal is achievable. The public would want a better return on their money faster. There's nothing wrong with that train of thought either. But trying to fit ALL of those factors in would be difficult especially in the short term.

For now id love to see someone like Dundee man come in, cover his losses with the help of local business and members, then long term have a goal to stabilise the club then maybe explore selling off equity in the club to other investors including the public.

Also id love to see someone present to FFA/Dundee man a model of public ownership. A proper business plan fully costed. This would involve 'someone' paying for lawyers/accountants/advisors up front in the hope of it getting accepted. But that's how business works. Waiting for the FFA to come to us isn't going to work.

As for your last point. I've mentioned before I've tried to get involved in both the Tinkler and Con regimes through 3rd party stuff as well as corporate stuff and both times the actions of staff at the Jets has been sub standard to say the least.
    Not returning phone calls, treating people like shit etc etc.
    I'm very annonymous within the circle jerk of local business people so I probably didn't seem worth it to the people selling sponsorships. But last time I looked I'd done ok for myself and my money was as good as anyone else's but they didn't want it.

The whole organisation needed a smack in the face from top down for the way they treated the business and public. Maybe if Dundee dudes peeps return phone calls I might try again.

Guess we'll see.

Oh don't worry, the fact I'm not a 'legendary business owner' is one of the reasons people don't return calls.

Ok as for specifics, they used to have a 'sponsor the players' thing where your business got a plug when the teams were introduced on the big screen. You also got tickets and bullshit like that.
    From memory we applied for Griff, Tarek and I think Jacob Pepper. I think the cost was somewhere from $1,000 to $5,000 depending who you got.

Anyway I'd had a few phone calls and wasn't all that bothered by what exposure the business got I just felt it was a cool thing to do. Anyway they didn't end up confirming anything with me, and I stopped chasing them.

Then on game one up on the big screen at least 4 players had no sponsors and others were token companies associated with the owner.

Mrs Plague and I had a hearty chuckle and had a lovely holiday in Japan instead.

Oh don't worry, the fact I'm not a 'legendary business owner' is one of the reasons people don't return calls.

Ok as for specifics, they used to have a 'sponsor the players' thing where your business got a plug when the teams were introduced on the big screen. You also got tickets and bullshit like that.
    From memory we applied for Griff, Tarek and I think Jacob Pepper. I think the cost was somewhere from $1,000 to $5,000 depending who you got.

Anyway I'd had a few phone calls and wasn't all that bothered by what exposure the business got I just felt it was a cool thing to do. Anyway they didn't end up confirming anything with me, and I stopped chasing them.

Then on game one up on the big screen at least 4 players had no sponsors and others were token companies associated with the owner.

Mrs Plague and I had a hearty chuckle and had a lovely holiday in Japan instead.
    I'm no expert in business but surely something as simple as this can be fixed. A shoutout on the big screen and said player to do some promo work during the week isn't exactly rocket science is it.. It's a shame when you hear about the club dropping the ball on these things. You see it with the knights boys taking happy snaps at their local cafe with a shoutout on Instagram. Simple exposure for return really isn't it

All it is, from the top down, is customer service.
    That's what we are all after.
    From ticket sales, membership enquiries, on field effort, interactions with the fans and media, ground security, we all want our club to give us something back for what we invest, and that doesn't always mean just money or material things.

Making people happy with a good performance, or a polite security, or players saying g'day to kids on the street or a photo etc means a hell of a lot to a lot of people.

Sadly that whole culture has been missing from our club for a long long time.

All it is, from the top down, is customer service.
    That's what we are all after.
    From ticket sales, membership enquiries, on field effort, interactions with the fans and media, ground security, we all want our club to give us something back for what we invest, and that doesn't always mean just money or material things.

Making people happy with a good performance, or a polite security, or players saying g'day to kids on the street or a photo etc means a hell of a lot to a lot of people.

Sadly that whole culture has been missing from our club for a long long time.
    Well we had a bloke here called Marcos Flores who done that extra bit and then some to connect with the community, whether it was kicking a ball around at the local park with a bunch of kids or getting involved with a local Charity fundraiser....and look what happened to him.
    The fact that he was here for such a short time but attracted 150-200 people for his farewell at Lambton Park speaks volumes of the man.

Banned

It does concern me this business forum that is going on before the fans ones could also be missing the mark.

Just connecting with the big end of town although is important why is it a select bunch??

Shouldn't we be connecting with anyone in business that wants to get involved??

Surely blokes like Plague should be allowed to come if they want?? Not being a legendary business owner in Newy should not mean your not allowed to join in.

On another note you look at the local NPL clubs and see the wide range of sponsors they dig up in their program. Makes you wonder how an organisation like the Jets can not get themselves 1000 local businesses chipping in 1k each a year.

Would sure break the back of a lot of their financial issues and I severely doubt the businesses of the Hunter would not have 1k a year they could not be enticed to cough up not to mention finding 1000 of them would not be an impossible task

Youre not suggesting that "jobs for the boys" be thrown out :O

It does concern me this business forum that is going on before the fans ones could also be missing the mark.

Just connecting with the big end of town although is important why is it a select bunch??

Shouldn't we be connecting with anyone in business that wants to get involved??

Surely blokes like Plague should be allowed to come if they want?? Not being a legendary business owner in Newy should not mean your not allowed to join in.

On another note you look at the local NPL clubs and see the wide range of sponsors they dig up in their program. Makes you wonder how an organisation like the Jets can not get themselves 1000 local businesses chipping in 1k each a year.

Would sure break the back of a lot of their financial issues and I severely doubt the businesses of the Hunter would not have 1k a year they could not be enticed to cough up not to mention finding 1000 of them would not be an impossible task
    Great points.
    That type of investment, whilst not a small amount of money, wouldn't be a huge deal to a lot of small businesses in the area.
    And if they are anything like me, all they would want out of their investment was for the club to succeed and for the money to be spent wisely.

It would also have hundreds and hundreds of local businesses with a direct link to the Jets. If that enthusiasm extends to their staff and families then that's a lot of 'hearts and minds' pointing in the right direction.

But alas we seem to just want the big fish and ignore the rest.

Banned
    FOOTBALL Federation Australia got the ball rolling on rebuilding the Newcastle Jets with a forum of business and community leaders on Wednesday.

FFA director, former Socceroo and proud Novocastrian Peter Tredinnick described it as an ‘‘historic night’’ and told the gathering that ‘‘if we get things right with the Jets, we will look back on this as a watershed moment’’.

Tredinnick, A-League boss Damien de Bohun, chief operating officer John Kelly and Northern NSW Football boss David Eland addressed about 50 invited guests at a function at the Duke of Wellington Hotel.

De Bohun said FFA was prepared to take its time in finding the right owner and right ownership model, despite a projected loss next season of $1million if the club continued on its current trajectory.

De Bohun said the Jets’ income from FFA grants, membership, ticketing, sponsorship and hospitality was $7million on a budget of $8million, which was itself below the median spend of other A-League clubs.

FFA took control of the Jets on May 20 after Nathan Tinkler placed the club into voluntary administration with debts of $14million.

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson has expressed interest in buying the Jets licence and was in Newcastle last week sounding out possible partners.

But de Bohun said Thompson was not the only prospective buyer and there were ‘‘five or six suitors who were very serious about being involved’’.

He also said that the door was open for an element of community ownership.

Wednesday night’s forum was the first of three to be conducted.

A meeting for Jets members from last season will be held at Panthers Newcastle next Thursday, starting at 6.30pm.

Members wanting to attend must register through the Jets website.

That will be followed by a Northern NSW Football community forum on Wednesday, June 24, which is aimed at a cross-section of the football community, including NNSW club and zone representatives, volunteers, coaches and match officials.

FFA followed a similar procedure before successfully establishing Western Sydney Wanderers and selling the licence for $10million.

Champions Melbourne Victory are the only A-League club to regularly post an annual profit, but de Bohun said revenue streams were projected to grow substantially.

He also said that the door was open for an element of community ownership.
    Well, well, well. While I wouldn't expect specific details to be available it is pleasing the read they are open to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles