Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Afternoon Vs Evening Matches....Jets getting screwed!

i just find it uncanny that the spectators want to sit on the same side as the TV cameras.
    Its almost like its the best viewing area or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I guess what the afternoon matches provide for the club is an additional opportunity to engage with the kids. Some parents and kids are unable to attend matches that kick off at 7:00 because it makes for a late night so the club have an opportunity to take what could be seen as a negative and put something on to draw the crowds there.

Give them a reason to go along like the run on the field last year. I would call that exercise a success.
    Yeah mate, we've covered that previously that the 5pm slot is family friendly but I can bet you two things if it is 30 + degrees.....
    1/ You will have a lot of families prefer to be at the beach and
    2/ The majority of families who do go to the match, if they have season tickets in the Eastern stand will most probably find a spot in the Western stand or in the shaded areas at the ends. On hot days sitting in the Eastern lower deck the temperatures are easily around 40 degrees.
    With 12 of our 14 games at home, yes Jeterpool, the club are going to have to come up with something that is going to encourage people to come to games for a timeslot that is not attractive in hot summer conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    i just find it uncanny that the spectators want to sit on the same side as the TV cameras.
    Its almost like its the best viewing area or something.
    Um lets see it's 5pm and sitting in the Eastern stand looking into the afternoon sun it is about 35 degrees.
    Over in the Western stand on the "same side as the TV cameras" it is totally shaded and the temperature is 25 degrees......um which stand should I take my family to watch the football for 90 minutes???

I'm really struggling to understand what this thread is trying to achieve. Yeah we've got some arvo games. We always have. It's nothing new so people who choose to sit on the eastern side will surely know about it. And besides, don't the club make more of these seats in the cheaper range? Therefore aren't they discounted in a way when compared to the same seat on the other side?

That's what we're dealt so we deal with it and move on. At least we'll get heaps of experience playing in the heat so we should be better prepared.

This is what we get for being the least successful team over the past 5 seasons
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 15-07-2015 at 09:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Would also lke to add when these afternoon games are played, as a spectacle for TV it looks downright terrible because 80% of the crowd are sitting in the Western stand in the shade away from the burning sun, creating the effect that there are less then 5,000 people at the game.
    How many times last year when the crowd figure was announced, people commenting on social media would say that the numbers were fudged because they were obviously making their judgement on just what the cameras were showing....the crowd in the Eastern stand. Once again it creates a negative impression that there is a shit atmosphere at Jets games, people see this and it just creates a snowball effect of negativity and the club attracts the stigma of unfairly "fudging" it's crowds.
    Those who think it is not an issue, okay stick your heads in the sand and pretend it isn't but I think it is a bigger issue than many realise and one that is going to be hard to break out of now that FFA/Fox have decided that our club rates low on TV and thus deserves the afternoon timeslot.

I agree it contributes to a negative aura being portrayed on TV, but I'm not sure what you mean by ffa/fox "deciding" our games rate poorly. Those statements are based on hard data not hunches.

Bottom line is, with a smaller population than most other clubs we will struggle to get good viewing numbers unless we start playing football neutrals want to watch.

Um lets see it's 5pm and sitting in the Eastern stand looking into the afternoon sun it is about 35 degrees.
    Over in the Western stand on the "same side as the TV cameras" it is totally shaded and the temperature is 25 degrees......um which stand should I take my family to watch the football for 90 minutes???
    The Western stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    The Western stand.
    Yeah the Western stand, where the sun sets??......or as the Eastern stand is officially known as the Andrew Johns stand, the Western stand should be the.....
    JOEL GRIFFITHS STAND!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Alright, so this is a quick look - I defined "ARVO" games as being a kick off up to 17:59 and “NIGHT” as being a kick off from 18:00 onwards

Friday
    Arvo – 1 match avg 22518 (Wanderers game where they won the plate)
    Night – 37 matches avg 10761

Saturday
    Arvo – 22 matches average 11522
    Night – 16 matches 11513

Sunday
    15:00 – 8 matches @ 9863
    17:00 – 27 matches @ 8958
    18:00 onwards 4 matches @ 15217 but these were around New Years Eve and 2 finals in season 3. I’d discount because it’s not a normal Sunday kick off time.

Season 1 – 1 x Thursday 20:00, 4 x Friday 20:00, 2 x Saturday 17:30 and 5 x Sunday 17:00
    Season 2 – 6 x Friday 20:00, 2 x Saturday 19:00, 2 x Sunday 17:00 and 1 x Monday 18:00
    Season 3 – 5 x Friday 20:00, 2 x Saturday 19:00, 1 x Sunday 15:00, 2 x Sunday 17:00, 2 x Sunday 18:00 and 1 x Sunday 19:00
    Season 4 - 3 x Friday 20:00, 1 x Saturday 18:30, 1 x Saturday 17:00, 4 x Sunday 17:00, 1 x Monday 15:00
    Season 5 - 3 x Friday 20:00, 1 x Saturday 17:30, 3 x Sunday 15:00, 6 x Sunday 17:00
    Season 6 – 2 x Friday 20:00, 2 x Saturday 17:30, 1 x Saturday 19:00, 1 x Sunday 15:00, 2 x Sunday 17:00, 1 x Sunday 19:00, 3 x Wednesday 19:00-19:30, 1 x Monday 19:30, 1 x Thursday 19:30 1 x Tuesday 19:30
    Season 7 - 3 x Friday 20:00, 1 x Saturday 16:00, 6 x Saturday 17:30, 1 x Saturday 19:45, 1 x Sunday 17:00 and 1 x Wednesday 19:45
    Season 8 – 1 x 17:45 Friday, 4 x 19:40 Friday, 4 x Saturday 17:30, 2 x Saturday 19:45, 2 x Sunday 15:00
    Season 9 – 2 x Friday 19:30, 5 x Saturday 17:30, 2 x Saturday 19:45, 1 x Sunday 15:00, 3 x Sunday 17:30
    Season 10 – 5 x Friday 19:40, 4 x Saturday 17:00, 2 x Sunday 17:00, 1 x Monday 17:00 and 1 x Tuesday 17:00
    Season 11 – 2 x Friday 19:40, 6 x Saturday 17:15, 6 x Sunday 17:00

So next season isn’t the worst we’ve had for Sundays. That was Season 5. As for home matches, I think the worst was Season 6 when there were 6 mid-week matches.

At least with the kick off times on a Saturday they’ve moved them 15 minutes later than in previous years.
    Seeing this topic has become a major talking point again, thought I would rejuvenate this thread too.

If FFA/Fox don't want to listen to supporters and put 5pm/5.15pm kick-offs back to at least 6pm at the very least have a fairer balance of evening/arvo games. Up until this season of only having 2 evening games we averaged around 5 out of 13 or 14 in recent seasons. Most supporters would probably prefer more but still 5 is a reasonable amount, 2 is just bullshit!!!

left out the most glaring stat 0 x Saturday 19:45

anyone know the average evening attendance vs afternoon attendance?
    im sure there is a difference

Page 1 of this thread goes into more detail comparing arvo v evenings and the different days. Sunday arvos have generally over the years been our worst attended.

Yeah the Western stand, where the sun sets??......or as the Eastern stand is officially known as the Andrew Johns stand, the Western stand should be the.....
    JOEL GRIFFITHS STAND!!!
    This.

Sunday games suck arse.

wednesday night games were cool
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Best thing we an do is to turn up to games and make noise so it's enjoyable to watch at home so ratings go up.

And, while at the game doing that, leave the tv on tuned in to the game so ratings go up.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Best thing we an do is to turn up to games and make noise so it's enjoyable to watch at home so ratings go up.

And, while at the game doing that, leave the tv on tuned in to the game so ratings go up.
    Yes Gaz, the 8 or 9,000 diehard members will turn up but the casual supporting family most probably are going to be at the beach on a hot Saturday or Sunday afternoon not frying away in 30 plus degree heat. Others will choose to watch the game from the comfort of their air conditioned home.

fridee nite games are best for the blue collars, getem in

Friday night game, Saturday morning sleep-in, makes perfect sense to me
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...