Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign Joel Griffiths

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Muswellbrookian View Post
    Signing for Sydney is only marginally better than signing for the Scum.
    My definition of MARGINALLY is obviously a lot wider than yours.

I can cope with Jets players signing for a Sydney Club. May not really like it but can cope.
    Signing for Gypos though unless we are sending Deans Galloway and Jesic in to white ant them from the inside the blokes who do so are NEVER FORGIVEN

ie That **** Musialik WILL not cheer that bloke ever if he returns to Newy (Even if he scored the winning Goal in the GF) as the rumours are suggesting he most likely will.

can't help but think that this is a bad long term move for Joel. If he returned to newy he could have lived like a king and found a well respected part to play in the football community after he finished his career. in sydney he's no richer than anyone else. he means nothing to sydney. their club support is no bigger than ours. they'll boo him out of the club as soon as his form dips and forget about him soon after. Joel is obviously not a guy who thinks about the type of legacy he wants to leave because he has just kissed his newcastle legacy goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Shanghai Football Club ?
    baldrick has cracked the code. wd mate.

Also shout out to the Member for once again restoring sanity to discussion. I don't know where we would be without him.

Quote Originally Posted by the_butcher View Post
    Once again though, not his fault. Blame jets fc, not griff. Will be joining the member in cheering on jg
    Oh, I do blame the Jets. Absolutely. They didn't show a shred of public interest in him, and it seems like they didn't make much of a play for him behind the scenes, either. (Whatever the truth m with all this "Gary wanted him but Middleby didn't", "Middleby wanted him but Gary didn't" rubbish.) Offloading Jesic and/or Gallaway could easily have seen us free up the space and money to sign Griff for the rest of the season and work out a more permanent deal later - but that would obviously have been too easy for the Jets, wouldn't it? The blokes who run the club are a disgrace. Different times, different faces, same old story.

By the same token, I'm never going to buy into all this crap about Griffal infallibility. The Jets have honestly never felt quite like the Jets to me since 2008, and Griffo was a big part of creating the distinct aura we had back then and the atmosphere of our home games and away derbies. He was a joy to watch, a class striker, and an inspirational figure in a team that would probably struggle in the A-League these days and even then wasn't necessarily fancied by pundits (not that we ever are). A bit of a dickhead too, sure, but therein lay so much of his appeal. Love him or hate him, characters like Joel are few and far between these days, and I think back then we all got as much enjoyment out of watching his fire and his weekly shenanigans as we did out of seeing his free kicks, his turns, his great finishing and his impeccable penalties. Those days are gone, though. Joel loved Newcastle as a city, and probably always will, but his football allegiances only run so deep. He showed that - understandably, given the steaming pile of Gypo faeces that was our championship "defence" - when he walked out on his three-year marquee deal in the 2008/09 season. 1,000 other footballers in his position would have done the same. Fair enough. I just wish we could all let the past be the past, let the legend be the legend, without pretending that Joel Griffiths still is who he was.

He was, and always will be, a Newcastle football hero. He was the defining player of the club's A-League incarnation. Now, he's a Sydney FC player - or is about to be. Now, he's the enemy. Not a c*nt like Weak Ankles was in his sky blue days or a fickle and emotionally unstable artiste like his twin brother, but the enemy all the same. As much as the Jets shit me to tears, as much as I think we still have a roster full of deadwood that could really have used a guy like Joel right now, we're bigger than one player. All the best to Joel, except on the football field, but the dream's over now. Time to get back to reality.

Just another old overrated hack.Didn't come back to Newy cause he knew he could'nt live up to the legendary status.Personally can't wait to Boo the money hungry cvnt.

p.s. long live scozz
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

i blame sanchez for this, obviously didn't sacrifice enough virgins for our Lord to cometh

There is no guarantee that he will be coming back as the same player he was when he played for us. Only time will tell.

We got him in the prime of his career. He's more than likely going to Sydney for one last pay-day before settling down there with his family and to have extended family close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    There is no guarantee that he will be coming back as the same player he was when he played for us. Only time will tell.

We got him in the prime of his career. He's more than likely going to Sydney for one last pay-day before settling down there with his family and to have extended family close by.
    He was a close to a local legend as we could get in this era. Time maybe for some Newcastle youngsters to make names for themselves the way a young Joel Griffiths did for Newcastle United in the NSL. That seems to be the only way they'll come back to the Hunter after their careers have peaked. Sick of these wankers from Sydney coming here and then scurrying back off to their expensive slums down South.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Could be much worse he could be signing for the Gypo Scum
    fallacy. You must adjust your radar grasshopper to that shitney are the aids of the earth.
    They felch their own from their graves. Coasties are scum blue aids are worse.

you dont need earth anymore...and that is sanchez with the sword

Last edited by hawk; 14-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Not really concerned that Joel is going to Sydney to be honest. We already have a few players capable of scoring goals, but our midfield isn't providing them with enough opportunities. Joel wouldn't have changed that.
    Only difference in the Sydney team is that they'll now have another good attacking player upset that their defence sucks and most of the players surrounding them have zero ability.
    We'll be ok without Griffo.
    Watching Sydney will still be as entertaining as watching flies f-ck.

Agree with you Steve. I have reserved my judgement off this forum over Joel but the reality is we have to move on. Sure we expected him to return but I obviously got over it alot quicker then a majority of jets fans on this forum.

Shall spice our derby with Sydney fc up a notch.

go eat your hat SD

Quote Originally Posted by Superdylan View Post

Shall spice our derby with Sydney fc up a notch.
    Stop stealing my material.

Great post as usual Muswellbrookian. Sums up the feelings of a lot of supporters - the club has lost its mojo, and Joel was a big part of that. Taking away the gold, tight budgets and too many athletes have contributed to an overall decline in the vibe at games. Rather than lump crap on Joel, look to the club.

In fact, I think the old Griffo placards should come out and he should be lauded by the Jets fans when we play Sydney - at least it is slightly more original than the standard 'boo reflex'.

Brilliant striker who leaves everything on the field. Sydney will be a dangerous proposition now (ADP, Emo, Joel, Yau, Culina).

i reckon they could get some atmosphere back if they gave out hats with the peak in the shape of a jet

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    i reckon they could get some atmosphere back if they gave out hats with the peak in the shape of a jet
    Or strap Virgili to that mini-Zeppelin with the NIB tag.

(peak in a jet shape = genius)

Robert Middleby out FFS.

Poor example of a club leader. When things are going shit house he always goes AWOL and needs to be dragged kicking and screaming to inform those who are the back bone of any club, the supporters and members.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingjet View Post
    Sydney will be a dangerous proposition now (ADP, Emo, Joel, Yau, Culina).
    Emerton has been woeful this year.

Was average last year and worse this year. One if the ( if not The) worst value for money signings in the history of the league at $1million a season.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post