Thread: Coaching resources

Coaching resources

Hey Brains trust

I'm coaching my son's U6 miniroos team this year (although most or all of them are 4 turning 5 I think) and have never coached soccer or kids that little before. Just wondering if anyone has any good resources they'd like to share specific to my coaching level, but also thought if people had coaching resources for other age groups that might be useful to help share all in the one thread.

I searched back to 2014 but couldn't find a thread covering this previously.

Cheers
    GMQ.

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonmcqueen View Post
    Hey Brains trust

I'm coaching my son's U6 miniroos team this year (although most or all of them are 4 turning 5 I think) and have never coached soccer or kids that little before. Just wondering if anyone has any good resources they'd like to share specific to my coaching level, but also thought if people had coaching resources for other age groups that might be useful to help share all in the one thread.

I searched back to 2014 but couldn't find a thread covering this previously.

Cheers
    GMQ.
    Our club recently organised a session with Help Me Coach (HMC) who were fantastic with tips on training session plans. They have a website where you can download session plans for each age group...it is a paid for plan service however I think you will find most are these days and these guys are local!.

This is a great guide to help get you started: https://www.playfootball.com.au/site...vity-Guide.pdf And a lot of variety on the coaching resources homepage https://www.playfootball.com.au/coach/resources
    I'd also suggest speaking with your club president to see if there is a coaching coordinator or similar term at your club. I have previously performed this role for my junior club, basically entailed running coaching workshops where we went though a range of suitable activities. Did one in pre-season for 6-8s, 9-11 and then 12+, and a follow up session in June holidays. Was very well received and hopefully gave the coaches a deeper toolkit of activities. Also ask your club rep if they know of any coaching courses coming up through NNSW. Good luck!

Well done mate, volunteers and coaches are the lifeblood of grassroots. Your club rep should have access to tonnes of information for you - if not, contact nnsw, theyll point you in the relevant direction. Your club should also be interested in funding you to do whatever the cheapest workshops are (if theyre not free already, not sure anymore) so ask them that too.

Most of all though, at that age, just make sure theyre having the best time of their lives and making close friends.

I’d say just basics but in a fun way. Not sure how young they can be to grasp the concepts.
    And people have already mentioned some good avenues to go down to get resources.
    Hardest this is probably keeping their attention.

Team races - dribbling straight line to a point and back. Right foot only. Left foot only. Dribbling diagonally through cones/poles if they can get that. Kids think they are just racing, but actually learning skills.

Basics - how to kick. No toe pokes. Might be a bit too advanced for 5s idk. Put them in a circle. With a cone in the middle - with a ball on top. Get them to aim and try and hit the ball off the cone. Can be developed to increase distance, or some skills before they aim for the ball Eg 2 juggles (maybe for older groups), 5 sole taps, dribble around the outside of circle and blow a whistle and they have to aim for the ball.

Do the parents a favour and tire them out.

Praise. Always.

Think 4-6 is probably too soon for space awareness. As much as we wish it wasn’t a swarm for kids chasing a ball around, it’s always gonna be that way at that age.

Basically, fun and basics. Make them look forward to training and game day.

That's great advice

I can also suggest doing the NNSW/FA grassroots training certificate...takes a night (was free when I did it) and gives you lots of neat ideas for training younger kids (up to SAP age group)

"Rob the nest" was fun drill they showed us that I can remember...

Quote Originally Posted by WOW2.0 View Post
    That's great advice

I can also suggest doing the NNSW/FA grassroots training certificate...takes a night (was free when I did it) and gives you lots of neat ideas for training younger kids (up to SAP age group)

"Rob the nest" was fun drill they showed us that I can remember...
    Haha rob the nest. Flashbacks.
    I remember 2 x games.
    - dragons tail or something: put a bib in the back of your shorts dangling like a tail. Set up an 10x 10 or 5x5 square. Aim is to pull out other peoples tails. No contact. Just turning hips and being “face on”.
    - similarly, dribble a ball around, aim to kick other people’s ball out of the square. ( a tip/cheat for your kids out there, pick an unpopulated corner. Leave your ball on the edge and run around kicking everyone else’s ball)
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 18-04-2023 at 09:01 AM.

I've done the bids in the shirts before...another great one for teaching kids to be a little defensively minded, and keep focus...come to think of it, I kind of miss teaching kids