Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting With Northern

Meeting With Northern

Not sure if my earlier thread was posted, might not have pressed the button. For those who don't know I run Newysports.com and put up an article on Monday, criticising NNSWF and their operations (http://www.newysports.com/2015/07/op...-struggle.html). The Facebook link has over 7000 views and 800+ people have read the article and I've had dozens praise me for it. Now I'm trying to round up some complaints from Facebook, my website and here to try and make a list to take to a meeting I have with NNSWF CEO David Eland next week.

I'm only young and inexperienced in meetings so I'd love to have some backing support to take with me to the meeting. I feel strongly about this and that's why I've risked my reputation and called out NNSWF. If you've got any complaints or potential solutions to some of the problems, please comment below! This could get 0 replies, it could get 100s, but I feel Northern will more likely listen to me if I tell them how many people have spoken up.

I was thinking of making a short petition on a one of those petition sites, not to protest but just to get an exact number on how many people support the call for change.

Thanks and mods feel free to delete if my earlier thread pops up but it's been an hour. Cheers guys!

I would definitely ask about rego.

I would also ask for a non bullshit reason as to why there has been so many injuries on the synthetic pitches at Speers Point. (Also ask why the ****ers are so small.)

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    at the moment, what you're saying is hearsay

document what people have said to you and when (though withhold names, even if NNSW press you for them)

I am almost certain that Eland will be more interested in what people have said to you and how NNSW can improve than attacking you

I'll try and get a list of complaints and of course names will be withheld. I'm glad to put my neck out as I'm not really affiliated with any clubs. Of course I play for Cooks Hill but not a committee member or anything like that.
    I'm hoping they'll be open to some constructive criticism.

For Northern to listen I beleive you will need to be constructive with how you approach it. Definitely raise each issue but also offer a realistic way for them to fix it. By suggesting a way forward it shows you are interested in how to improve things rather than just bitching about things. Probably wouldn't take pages of items but select the more important and achievable ones. Starting out if you can work through and address some items with positive outcomes you can build the relationship and lead up to the big ticket items down the track. Start with small steps, it's a negotiation. Both sides need to achieve a benefit.
    With David contacting you shows he is open to discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    For Northern to listen I beleive you will need to be constructive with how you approach it. Definitely raise each issue but also offer a realistic way for them to fix it. By suggesting a way forward it shows you are interested in how to improve things rather than just bitching about things. Probably wouldn't take pages of items but select the more important and achievable ones. Starting out if you can work through and address some items with positive outcomes you can build the relationship and lead up to the big ticket items down the track. Start with small steps, it's a negotiation. Both sides need to achieve a benefit.
    With David contacting you shows he is open to discussion.
    Agree. I'm not going there to bag them out. I want to discuss ideas and potential fixes to some of the problems. That's why I've asked around for some potential solutions as it'd be nice to have a few ideas to discuss. At the moment I'm not sure what I'll say

Newy
    First thing you need is an agenda and if NNSWF called you than surely they must have a reason
    So I would be asking for an agenda, this will allow you to be better prepared
    If they won't than you set one, list 4-5 key points and stick to them.
    Also set dates for answers or follow up
    Stay on track, I have had a few discussions with these guys over the years and they are hard to pin down, more probable they don't like to be pinned down

Also think your issues thru
    Eg NPL Youth double points
    This is a terrible rule, robs the top youth comp of game time, robs the parents of dollars, under 15f no disrespect, get to reschedule. Now lately I believe their seems to be an effort from some clubs to reschedule, particuly if the result would suit them. Is this an argument for games to be moved to the new facility ??? It is after all a facility for all not just some
    But the over riding factor and this will be NNSWF response is that the NPL clubs voted for double points so take it up with the club.

This is what I mean get your key issues and make sure you think them thru

Banned
    You are more than welcome to put my name to this.

NNSW 2nd biggest federation in Australia behind only NSW on participants.

Results in Nationals
    Results in quality of players produced
    Results in Socceroo level players

Are well below the mark for a federation of Northern's size. Not only that we ain't even close to being the 2nd best performed fed in the land

Middleby and Zane are the last two Socceroos we have produced. Neither of them were exactly top shelf Socceroos like Emerton Chippers Kewell Viduka Luca$h etc who were genuinely the best we had at the time and were auto selections when fit.

Absolutely disgraceful the achievements of Northern in the last 30 years considering the resources at their disposal

Another important point to remember
    NNSWF & particuly David Eland will play a very straight bat, backed by a rule book and minuted meetings with clubs etc, your going in representing the thoughts of many but mainly based on emotion.

I'd hate to rain on your parade but I think all nnswf want to do is kick your but for your attack on them on your website,in all respect I truly can't see them discussing issues with you

Push for a fair FFA Cup draw, with all teams mixed together from the start. **** this zonal shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    I'd hate to rain on your parade but I think all nnswf want to do is kick your but for your attack on them on your website,in all respect I truly can't see them discussing issues with you
    Agree with you
    Hence trying to help to young fella, take the opportunity to actually discuss what the community are saying don't waste it with emotional crap and have facts ie I had 600 likes for elimination of double points or I had 30 responces against this issue etc
    After all NNSWF are pushing the FFA to listen to the community re the jets !!!!!
    Maybe they could do what they call for !!!!!

Where does all the money go?

I run my own business and wish I had a monopoly like NNSW Football.

My son plays NewFM and looking back at his rego fees NNSW Football collected $140 (in addition to the Club and FFA component)
    It is my understanding that each club has to pay $5000 just to enter the NewFM comp as well.

By my maths when you add this up for all 11 NewFM clubs assuming 60 players in the roster then Northern NSW Football make (11 x 60 x $140) + (11 x $5000) = $147,400 income just from the NewFM comp.
    Expenses are minimal (there is stuff all promotion of the comp) but say allow $20,000 in expenses to cover for prizemoney and insurance and that still leaves Northern with $127,000 profit from just one competition. Oh and don't forget they would be getting income from the naming rights from NewFM.

Sure the competition needs to be administered but by the look of their website and the slackness in updating ladders, rescheduling washed out fixtures etc a 12 year old volunteer could do a better job.

please dont be niave and think nnsw aint sitting in their castle drinking soy lattes not reading this inbetween games of solitaire on their imacs . getting all their staff in motion . should find another suggestion box .

I won't be letting them blast me or anything like that. If they're going to be negative I'll simply walk out. If they're open for discussion then I'll gladly talk with them. The re-scheduling and ladders and stuff for the New-FM is probably my biggest issue. I've had one club secretary tell me that he couldn't even get through to Northern and they wouldn't return his calls on the day of a recent washout. I've had a few clubs agree that Northern just don't care about the NewFM comp. I'll be pointing out the mess that is the NPL Youth as well. Our regions best kids deserve better than what they've gotten this season.

Suppose the question that hasn't been asked yet is why would northern take a part-time journalist's opinion on what is wrong with the state leagues? If anyone has an issue with how things are run, then they should go to their club, who will then make contact with northern if they believe it's worth pursuing. If the club's aren't happy then they should bring it to Northern, not complain to the media. Seems to me that the majority of clubs are happy with the status quo and it's just parents and a few clubs who have issues.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NewyTy View Post
    I won't be letting them blast me or anything like that. If they're going to be negative I'll simply walk out. If they're open for discussion then I'll gladly talk with them. The re-scheduling and ladders and stuff for the New-FM is probably my biggest issue. I've had one club secretary tell me that he couldn't even get through to Northern and they wouldn't return his calls on the day of a recent washout. I've had a few clubs agree that Northern just don't care about the NewFM comp. I'll be pointing out the mess that is the NPL Youth as well. Our regions best kids deserve better than what they've gotten this season.
    Why walk out on them??

I would suggest your reconsider this stance.

Regardless of whatever response they give you act like an adult take it all in walk out the door and then think we are ****ed they are all a bunch of dickheads etc

You have to look it along the lines of getting them to do some of the things you want. Don't expect them to take everything on board you want as it just won't happen.

Look at the reality.They are listening to you.
    See what they get done and never give up the fight in what you believe in.
    Keep at them within reason and don't make yourself out to be an idiot in their eyes or you will lose any chance of them listening to you ever.

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Why walk out on them??

I would suggest your reconsider this stance.

Regardless of whatever response they give you act like an adult take it all in walk out the door and then think we are ****ed they are all a bunch of dickheads etc

You have to look it along the lines of getting them to do some of the things you want. Don't expect them to take everything on board you want as it just won't happen.

Look at the reality.They are listening to you.
    See what they get done and never give up the fight in what you believe in.
    Keep at them within reason and don't make yourself out to be an idiot in their eyes or you will lose any chance of them listening to you ever.

Best of luck
    Hey mate, meant if they get agro or whatever. If they're just going to bag me out and stuff then I don't want to hear any of it but if they're open for discussion then by all means I'll be happy to go along with it. I'm not saying I could do a better job as I probably couldn't but I am saying that for the money they're paid, they need to step up some of their action.

Ty, you're probably going to do this anyway, but suggest you prepare one or two sheets with a simple heading for each of the items you want to raise and under each heading one or two lines outlining the basis of the issue. Don't make it too long & wordy. Use this as prompt to discuss with them and also to be able to leave with them as a record of what you wanted to discuss. If you don't leave anything with them, if you leave it up to them to record what was said, won't work for you.
    Also suggest someone else go with you as back up for what was discussed. If you're alone and they might have a few, could be daunting for you.
    Would be great if some clubs can get behind you because like others have alluded here, dunno what weight Northern will give you as a single person... the meeting might be just a "lip service" meeting to make you feel good for a few days, then from their point of view, it's back to normal.
    Good luck mate and good on you for making this effort.

Some genuine issues here. I think that Elland has done a bang up job so far and things will only improve in the future.

One question I would have is the cost of coaching education. This needs to reduce. Germany has something like 1 B licence coach for every 200 people of population. Reducing the cost and increasing participation in coaching courses would go along way to increasing the standard.
    Go jetties