Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NPL Grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Jet View Post
    Not faith in tenure then???
    Most clubs are institutions at their current venues. Who cares about 'ownership'?
    We certainly don't...
    if you own your ground you can make $$ off it

ownership of grounds is an important issue that sets Oz back compared to Eng etc

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post

ownership of grounds is an important issue that sets Oz back compared to Eng etc
    You can also lose money by owning your own ground. Which is more likely in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post

West Wallsend did the sums many years ago. They did have ownership of Johnston Park, it was purchased by the then publican of the Museum Hotel for the club and the club named the park after him.

The ongoing maintenance, insurance and improvements were not a viable choice for the club and so it was transferred to the Council under an agreement.

So what happens if Magic at the end of their lease are denied the right to renew? Ok, it might be 90 years away but it still has a date when it could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by curious_fan View Post
    West Wallsend did the sums many years ago. They did have ownership of Johnston Park, it was purchased by the then publican of the Museum Hotel for the club and the club named the park after him.

The ongoing maintenance, insurance and improvements were not a viable choice for the club and so it was transferred to the Council under an agreement.

So what happens if Magic at the end of their lease are denied the right to renew? Ok, it might be 90 years away but it still has a date when it could be an issue.
    The benefits are being enjoyed by Magic now so that's a nothing statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    The benefits are being enjoyed by Magic now so that's a nothing statement.
    The guy is posing a hypothetical. Your response is utterly ridiculous considering that this is a discussion board.

Quote Originally Posted by immersion View Post
    The guy is posing a hypothetical. Your response is utterly ridiculous considering that this is a discussion board.
    Not at all as if you are worried about spending money on your facilities now and then losing your facilities to the local council in 50 plus years time then you will not be around in 50 plus years. Its a simple case of spending money to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Not at all as if you are worried about spending money on your facilities now and then losing your facilities to the local council in 50 plus years time then you will not be around in 50 plus years. Its a simple case of spending money to make money.
    Perhaps my point was poorly worded. What I meant was, clubs are now being the main identity upon which facility improvements will occur (as Councils budgets are going elsewhere) do need to consider all factors. When we are talking about investments of tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in new floodlighting or a new clubhouse (or even expansions), new training areas etc, one factor clubs need to factor in is their actual tenure at that particular facility and what return on that investment is likely and expected.

I think it is time clubs negotiated long term leasing arrangements with Councils to ensure their future before they lock in such money to what will always be a public asset. I am not saying any Council is or would ever move a club against it will but as a business, which clubs are now, it needs come into consideration and planning. Clubs are having to work harder and harder for income to finance capital improvements and once completed immediately become Council assets, in return for that they deserve guarantees on the benefits that hard work has produced.

Of course Magic benefit now, but how many other clubs have that safety net of knowing when their lease could end and yet are still expected to build towards that same level of investment in their ground?

Perhaps my point was poorly worded. What I meant was, clubs are now being the main identity upon which facility improvements will occur (as Councils budgets are going elsewhere) do need to consider all factors. When we are talking about investments of tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in new floodlighting or a new clubhouse (or even expansions), new training areas etc, one factor clubs need to factor in is their actual tenure at that particular facility and what return on that investment is likely and expected.

I think it is time clubs negotiated long term leasing arrangements with Councils to ensure their future before they lock in such money to what will always be a public asset. I am not saying any Council is or would ever move a club against it will but as a business, which clubs are now, it needs come into consideration and planning. Clubs are having to work harder and harder for income to finance capital improvements and once completed immediately become Council assets, in return for that they deserve guarantees on the benefits that hard work has produced.

Of course Magic benefit now, but how many other clubs have that safety net of knowing when their lease could end and yet are still expected to build towards that same level of investment in their ground?
    Now I am no expert on leased football facilities but wouldn’t the lessee be responsible for all running costs i.e., services (electricity, gas, water, phone etc…), facility improvements, maintenance, new infrastructure etc. At least on a Council facility while you pay a minimal hire fee you don’t have to pay for that blown floodlight, top dress, fertilise, graffiti removal, water bill, etc……

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    Now I am no expert on leased football facilities but wouldn’t the lessee be responsible for all running costs i.e., services (electricity, gas, water, phone etc…), facility improvements, maintenance, new infrastructure etc. At least on a Council facility while you pay a minimal hire fee you don’t have to pay for that blown floodlight, top dress, fertilise, graffiti removal, water bill, etc……
    Depends on the terms of the lease. But seriously most of the grounds in NBN if not all are very similar. I can't see much difference in Edgeworth, Rosbud, Azzurri, Lambton, Weston, Magic, Olympic etc

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    sorry but disagree with you here, clubs have a portion of each registered players rego put aside that is kept to pay for maintenance and electricity bills, clubs do pay for that blown light bulb, top dressing, fertiliser etc etc, believe me this money doesn't stretch very far, this is the case on all lake mac grounds, with my previous involvement with south cardiff the monetary input from both senior and junior football and cricket averaged around the $15k mark but hardly covered the electricity bill and minimal maintenance issues

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    sorry but disagree with you here, clubs have a portion of each registered players rego put aside that is kept to pay for maintenance and electricity bills, clubs do pay for that blown light bulb, top dressing, fertiliser etc etc, believe me this money doesn't stretch very far, this is the case on all lake mac grounds, with my previous involvement with south cardiff the monetary input from both senior and junior football and cricket averaged around the $15k mark but hardly covered the electricity bill and minimal maintenance issues
    Yes, clubs have a portion of rego that goes into a "Council Account". This goes to paying for electricity, ground marking, maintenance etc. But, depending on how big the club is, it doesn't go very far and the clubs end up topping it up.

The bigger clubs (big as in total registered players, not the competition they play in) have money left over in these accounts at the end of the year and it can go towards facilities, or contributions towards grants or just accumulated for a specific project. Your smaller clubs end up with a much smaller initial account and end up putting contributions into it as the year progresses so the bills get paid. So for clubs controlling a ground, with small rego numbers the Council contributions, as you said, don't go very far. For the bigger clubs, the rego contribution more than covers the yearly expenses and ends up funding upgrades.

Totally depends on the size of the facility, south cardiff have four grounds all with lights, 4 grounds that needed maintenance all year round etc etc,

now if newcastle council merges with Lake Mac this would mean better/ worse/ bout the same

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    now if newcastle council merges with Lake Mac this would mean better/ worse/ bout the same
    Think that will depend on who keeps their job. From what I have seen Lake Mac appear to be helping their sporting clubs out a lot more such as Swansea, Warners Bay and Southern Beaches. Newcastle meanwhile aren't doing this to the same extent prefer to spend money on Councillors dry cleaning, business flights and redundancies on GMs.

Lake Macquarie Multi Million Dollar Sports Upgrade Plan Jun 7 2015
    LAKE Macquarie City Council has unveiled a multi-million-dollar strategy to improve sports facilities, but doubts have been raised about whether it can be accomplished.

Many sports grounds in the city have substandard infrastructure, clubs say.

The council aims to improve the situation and has a list of projects planned over the next five years.

Whether they proceed as scheduled will depend on money and the council’s capabilities, officials say.

Developer contributions will fund some projects, but others will depend on the council making money available from its ordinary budget.

Councillors will consider the strategy at a meeting on Tuesday.

Councillor Barry Johnston said he struggled to see where the money would come from for some projects.

‘‘A lot of the plans that council brings forward are very aspirational,’’ Cr Johnston said.

He said the council must be smart with how it spent its money on sporting projects.

‘‘The whole concept of developing a strategy is so the money gets spent where it will benefit the community the most, not necessarily where it’s historically been spent,’’ Cr Johnston said.

He said if participation was rising in one sport and declining in another, spending should be adjusted to suit.

A $12million recreation complex at Cameron Park is earmarked as the strategy’s first new project.

Councillor Brian Adamthwaite said the council had allocated $3.5million for the project in this year’s budget.

‘‘It’s a growing area with lots of young families and kids,’’ Cr Adamthwaite said.

Developer contributions will be used for the project.

Cameron Park Community Association chairman Patrick Mitchell said it would be ‘‘fabulous to see those sporting fields built’’.

‘‘The sooner they can build them the better,’’ Mr Mitchell said. ‘‘A lot of kids around here don’t have anything to do, and because of that they get themselves into trouble and cause havoc.’’

The plan includes a large amenities building, floodlit multi-use sports field, netball courts and a basketball court, a large park, two playgrounds, a cricket practice area and skate park.

The council hopes to finish part of the project in 2018.

Year 1 (2015-16)

Cameron Park (new sports complex) design of fields, floodlighting, car park, access road, amenities

Cardiff (Cardiff No. 1 field) construct floodlighting

Gateshead (Allen Davis Field) construct new field

Morisset (Auston Oval) construct amenities, car park, floodlighting

Speers Point (New Tredinnick Fields) construct field, irrigation

Swansea (Parbury Park) design amenities, car park

Warners Bay (John Street Fields) construct amenities, car park

Year 2 (2016-17)

Belmont (Belmont Ovals) design and construct floodlights, two fields

Charlestown (Jack Stewart Netball Courts) design of two new courts and car park

Cameron Park (new sports complex) construct fields, floodlighting, car parking, access road, amenities

Mirrabooka Quarry (new sportsfields) design of amenities, fields, floodlighting, access road, car park

Swansea (Parbury Park) construct amenities and car park

Warners Bay (Feighan Oval) design amenities and car park

Year 3 (2017-18)

Cardiff (Cardiff Ovals) design and construct floodlighting and cricket wickets

Cardiff South (Ulinga Oval) design for upgraded playing surface, drainage, irrigation

Charlestown (Jack Stewart Netball Courts) construct two new courts, upgrade car park

Cooranbong Town Common (new sports fields) design sportsfield, amenities, floodlights, access road, car park

Edgeworth (Edgeworth No. 2 Field) design of works for irrigation, drainage, floodlighting

Edgeworth (Jack McLaughlin Oval) construct amenities

Glendale (Bill Bower Fields) design and construct floodlighting

Mirrabooka Quarry (new sports fields) design for amenities, fields, floodlighting, access road, car park

Morisset (Gibson Field Netball Courts) design of new courts

Wangi Wangi (Wangi Netball Courts) design and construct floodlighting

Warners Bay (Feighan Oval) construct amenities and car park
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/31...-upgrade-plan/
    So, as the title suggests, this is a "Plan". But there's a few plans in there to upgrade football facilities. Notably Edgeworth (amenities), South Cardiff (pitch - wonder if top or bottom fields or both), Warners Bay, Belmont, Morisset and Lake Mac (Tred. Oval) and Charlestown.

Hang on, I thought Ulinga's drainage was top shelf? FR?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Obviously the bottom fields

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    Obviously the bottom fields
    Oh, fair enough. Are there plans to make them junior playing fields?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Thats an outrageous plan. Lmc might get 10% up.

Cooranbong Town Common (new sports fields) design sportsfield, amenities, floodlights, access road, car park
    new progress hall, covered wagons, bonnets for ladies and a steel rims for kids to roll down the st

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    Thats an outrageous plan. Lmc might get 10% up.

new progress hall, covered wagons, bonnets for ladies and a steel rims for kids to roll down the st
    Have to agree there, as much as i would like to see the new sporting complexes in morissets surrounding areas, i cant see them doing two like they have planned.