Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The News & Current Affairs Thread

The News & Current Affairs Thread

#PrayForParis

Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    it's prayer than caused this mess in the first place

was flicking between the France Germany and Bosnia Ireland games - there wasn't any crowd noise from Paris in the first half so we didn't hear that explosion

****ing ludicrous situation

Vive la France.
    Go jetties

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    It's was criticism because the discussion was about rego cost and you stated ours is higher than yours

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    Polandball says it well

Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Yep, all this prayer crap does is let people feel good about doing nothing. Its up to the people and govts to step up and stop it in every country so that no one has a reason to grieve over a preventable cause.
    Last edited by hawk; 14-11-2015 at 11:11 PM.

was flicking between the France Germany and Bosnia Ireland games - there wasn't any crowd noise from Paris in the first half so we didn't hear that explosion

Thats not quite what I meant mate - it was more about expressing sympathy for the victims and the city. Not about anything else.

and where it that getting us. ffs prevention>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>prayer

without crossing over in to the politics thread (fess up, it was going to anyway) the bit that annoys me are the pollies fronting the cameras with their crocodile tears and their new Facebook profile pics of their taxpayer funded study trip to paris (people were gagging to find a reason to change it from the rainbow ones from a few months back).
    anyway, these pollies are the same ones who continually block any legislation that is introduced to try and prevent these exact things.

I'm cool if you want the civil liberties etc, just don't front the cameras screaming "theres go to be something we can do to stop this"

Kind of like (insert US President name here) after each school shooting "we gotta do something about den guns huh".......errr, you're in charge, why don't you do something?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

All the best to ISIS though pissing off Putin and the muslim hatin' French.

Things prob going to get ugly.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    without crossing over in to the politics thread (fess up, it was going to anyway) the bit that annoys me are the pollies fronting the cameras with their crocodile tears and their new Facebook profile pics of their taxpayer funded study trip to paris (people were gagging to find a reason to change it from the rainbow ones from a few months back).
    anyway, these pollies are the same ones who continually block any legislation that is introduced to try and prevent these exact things.

I'm cool if you want the civil liberties etc, just don't front the cameras screaming "theres go to be something we can do to stop this"

Kind of like (insert US President name here) after each school shooting "we gotta do something about den guns huh".......errr, you're in charge, why don't you do something?
    If you have a spare weekend - try googling the NRA, Congress and lobby groups. US is f*cked on gun control because their political system is set up to serve the group with the most money to throw at Senators and Congressmen to veto or kill any bills that go against their interest.

Not that I've done much research into this, but what are the specific measures that would prevent this kind of thing anyway? I think it's nigh impossible tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Education and a different foreign policy would be a good start

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    If you have a spare weekend - try googling the NRA, Congress and lobby groups. US is f*cked on gun control because their political system is set up to serve the group with the most money to throw at Senators and Congressmen to veto or kill any bills that go against their interest.
    Yes and no.
    the reality is that from 2009-2011 the Democrats and Obama controlled congress and could have passed any laws they wanted to (with the help of executive orders as well if Obama really wanted to put his foot down).
    He didn't, and now he has the convenient argument that the Republicans (a different type of shitkhunt) won't let any laws pass so theres nothing that can be done.
    He had TWO YEARS to do something, and did nothing. Its not as if gun violence and school shootings weren't around back then (there were 23 registered school shootings in that time).

Now, again, my issue isn't really the US problem with guns. I don't think its our place to judge Americans and their guns because we really don't understand the situation and its not an easy fix.
    Its the constant grandstanding of people like Obama and Clinton who claim that something needs to be done, yet refused to do anything. At least the Republicans are honest enough to say they are cool with people getting gunned down left right and centre.

I also find it funny that the bloke out there who can legitimately change the system everyone has such a problem with is the man who is so reviled and frightened of.

if you want the system to change, support the buffoon Trump, if you keep supporting the incumbents, don't be shocked when nothing ever changes.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Not that I've done much research into this, but what are the specific measures that would prevent this kind of thing anyway? I think it's nigh impossible tbh.

the main issue at the moment that is in the news is mandatory sentencing for illegal gun possession. to me its a no brainer, but philosophical stances within certain parties on mandatory sentencing sees this one blocked. guess whats more important, getting illegal guns and illegal gun users off the streets or political stances?

of course there is the 'metadata' debate that seemed to peter out pretty quickly. Once again the idea behind it has merit, but if everyone was concerned with the greater good they would have reached a way around it, but they didn't. all sides are to blame for that.

i also agree there isn't an easy fix, but again i reiterate my issue is the Pliberseks etc of the world who bemoan that "something needs to be done" yet even though in a position of power refuse to do one god damn thing to help.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Yes and no.
    the reality is that from 2009-2011 the Democrats and Obama controlled congress and could have passed any laws they wanted to (with the help of executive orders as well if Obama really wanted to put his foot down).
    He didn't, and now he has the convenient argument that the Republicans (a different type of shitkhunt) won't let any laws pass so theres nothing that can be done.
    He had TWO YEARS to do something, and did nothing. Its not as if gun violence and school shootings weren't around back then (there were 23 registered school shootings in that time).

Now, again, my issue isn't really the US problem with guns. I don't think its our place to judge Americans and their guns because we really don't understand the situation and its not an easy fix.
    Its the constant grandstanding of people like Obama and Clinton who claim that something needs to be done, yet refused to do anything. At least the Republicans are honest enough to say they are cool with people getting gunned down left right and centre.

I also find it funny that the bloke out there who can legitimately change the system everyone has such a problem with is the man who is so reviled and frightened of.

if you want the system to change, support the buffoon Trump, if you keep supporting the incumbents, don't be shocked when nothing ever changes.
    Plague I respect what you think about football...but right now you r out of your element....stick to football .....love Lquiquer
    Dare to Zlatan

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Education and a different foreign policy would be a good start
    yes, education of politicians also, Abbotts language during his term as PM was disgraceful for the most part.
    Pretending theres no problem out there is just as bad.
    joining in wars as well doesn't help.

but on the flip side what do you do when your constituents die in the attacks on 9/11 and the Bali bombings?
    do you stand aside and be all like "cool cool we are not getting involved we don't want to make it worse" or do you retaliate......and end up where we are now.

damned if you do, damned if you don't innit?
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Plague I respect what you think about football...but right now you r out of your element....stick to football .....love Lquiquer
    no. I'm comfortable.
    Contribute or pipe down please. we are having a discussion. Furns, MM etc are clever people and i enjoy listening to them.

Cheers,
    Plague.
    Seems like I am WRONG

no. I'm comfortable.
    Contribute or pipe down please. we are having a discussion. Furns, MM etc are clever people and i enjoy listening to them.

Cheers,
    Plague.
    First sorry for being stupid ...second all these issues you r debating are much more complicated than u assumed them to be. I think part of discussion was what happened in Paris Friday night.... believe me I grew up in the these suburbs and prob why I'm here now....there is so much politicians can do when previous administrations were blind
    Dare to Zlatan