Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf Thread

Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    sugarloaf
    sugar valley, no par 5's
    Putter from the tee on the 8th

thats it sugar valley...i knew sugarloaf didnt seem right. remember playing there when i was a youngin and i remember that hole i think-tiny par 3 down hill yeah ?
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    sugar valley, no par 5's
    Putter from the tee on the 8th
    where is this sugar valley, yous all speak of, have heard its a bit of a goat track lol

Quote Originally Posted by RedMexican View Post
    where is this sugar valley, yous all speak of, have heard its a bit of a goat track lol
    west wallsend i believe

Eff that, worst town

Eff that, worst town

poor old westy wallsend

Quote Originally Posted by Hamma12 View Post
    poor old westy wallsend
    no poor old westy about hamma12

Mostly play Royal Toronto, but do have the occasional hit at Waratah, Charlestown and Morrisett. Did have a round out at Merewether the other day which was pretty good too.

play steelworks with the old man when i'm back in newy and have the time

i quite enjoy it, but i know a few people out there loathe the place

played a mizuno mx-500 with a 10.5 loft last time out, so good, sounds like a ****ing gunshot

Quote Originally Posted by Hamma12 View Post
    west wallsend i believe
    Can remember when playing for Westy, one year when wet, we ran fom wembley across the flooding golf course to the high school to train on op of the hill. On the way back the old timber bridges on the course were completely submerged.... One of the guys boasting local knowledge vowed to lead us through the swollen creeks across the bridges that "would only be ankle deep so long as you know where they are".... He sank like a stone after running at full pace, at the creek, where he thought the bridge was, missed it by a foot, and ended up 30metres down stream, stopped by the next bridge.

Went back months later for a game of golf.
    Royal Krambach is possibly the only the course worse.
    http://krambachgolfclub.yolasite.com...-of-course.php

Banned
    Haven'y played Krambach but have heard reports from others how they have wire fences around greens to keep the wild life off them and other comments who believe it is the worst joint they have ever set foot on.

Have played about 95 course around Australia. Nearly all of them on the Gypo coast and Hunter Valley and most up the Nth Coast a few in Brissy Sydney down the Sth Coast Murray River and Sunshine and Gold Coast also

Worst 5

Stroud - Absolute goat track. Greens like a cricket pitch. Played 4 man Ambrose there one day and one put went to the left one to the right the next jumped over the hole and the next would go backwards!!!

Dungog - Had a shit of a time getting to it and then played like I had just discovered the game

Sandbar - 20 mins south of Forster off the Lakes Way is a caravan park called Sandbar on the Smiths Lake. Have a little 9 holer in there in the scrub. Bugdet operation and shows in the level of quality

Nambour - Sunshine Coast Home to former PM Rudd but no government handouts for this joint. Real Mountain goat country. Rough as guts quality and a real I have played this and am never going back

Beerwah - Sunshine Coast - Had a shit of a time there bad golf/coming down with flu/ weather / course conditions

Best 5

Yarrawonga - On the NSW side of the Murray River 45 holes accomodation club. Pull up and spend a week playing golf with out leaving site. Magic

Coolangatta Tweed Heads - 36 Holes on the Tweed River. Played well when I have been there so maybe why I like it

Merimbula - Sth Coast - 27 Holes very similar style to Nelson Bay GC

Asquith - Hornsby region - Tight little joint challenging also

Pacific Harbour - Bribie Island nth of Brisbane - Hardest golf course I have ever played - 80 km winds most of the time - undulating greens with numerous tiers - rock hard and lightening fast greens - bunkers every where with massive lips - water every where - scrub everywhere just a true brutal test of your golf game. Played there one day and had 92 of the stick (Handicap of 12) so that is 8 over par for me so normally be highly pissed about life but I played well it is just brutal

My fave 5 in Hunter and Gypo land region

Hunter Valley Crowne Plaza
    Springs (Central Coast)
    Pacific Dunes
    Nelson Bay
    MUswellbrook

Muswellbrook
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post

played a mizuno mx-500 with a 10.5 loft last time out, so good, sounds like a ****ing gunshot
    hahaha, a bloke i play with has the taylormade R11 driver, sounds like this aswell. worst sound. haha

has anyone played shelley beach in gypo land ?, will be playing pacific dunes in 2 weeks, cant wait. usually play on sundays when i can find a place to tee off early enough.
    anyone on ere, keen on a round ?

has anyone played shelley beach in gypo land ?
    I had my heart ripped into a thousand pieces by a woman on that beach

:truestory:
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post

tried playing there a couple of times until mosquitos the size of pigeons carried me away
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    i had my heart ripped into a thousand pieces by a woman on that beach

:truestory:
    dtmc

dtmc
    camb
    OK

Banned
    hahaha, a bloke i play with has the taylormade R11 driver, sounds like this aswell. worst sound. haha

has anyone played shelley beach in gypo land ?, will be playing pacific dunes in 2 weeks, cant wait. usually play on sundays when i can find a place to tee off early enough.
    anyone on ere, keen on a round ?
    HAve played there at Tuggerah Lakes. Not the worst track in the world. A lot like Belmont wide open in a lot of spots. Wind can seriously effect game as it is right on the coast like Belmont. I rate it a little higher than Belmont which for some reason others rate pretty highly?? Reason for this is that Tuggerah have 3-4 holes that run parralel to the beach and the style of holes is interesting and challenging. Belmonts holes that run along the beach 8th - 15th -16th are just plain and uninspiring where so much more could be done to make them memorable holes.

Speaking of memorable holes down at Narooma there is a Par 3 where you tee out over the ocean and the green is on a cliff edge and the tee is on another cliff edge. Some days you play and it is a PW or 9 Iron others a 3 Wood depending on wind direction. Short and ball is gone left and ball is gone long and ball is gone. You also have to hit according to the waves hitting the rocks as they cause the ball flight to be sucked down prematurely. Magic hole.

Having another game there in September this year

Paul Hogan filmed an ad there in the 70s-80s

09w15.jpg

Have never hit the ball well at Belmont.
    Bhah. Something in my head.
    Hate the place.
    Been spending a bit of time at Charlestown (provided its dry).
    Summertimes used to be grand, leave work early arvo, get a quick 9 or 11 in at Bero on way home.
    Alas those days are over.
    What do you like about Crowne Plaza MFKS? Never played there for some reason everytime we head up that way it's always to Vintage.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    What do you like about Crowne Plaza MFKS?
    Value is good usually get a game there for $40-$50 with a cart where as other joints like the Vintage you are looking at $80 -$100 so these guys have really hit the nail on the head with their pricing. The $100 joints tend to keep you away from playing their regularly due to the price but the price Crowne Plaza is at it is always appealing to the serious and semi serious golfers out there.

Course is also extremely playable. When you go to the likes of the Vintage Kooindah Waters Pacific Dunes and other such resort courses you really have to bring your A game with you. These courses are actually designed for the blokes playing off single figure handicaps and not for the regular bloke who has a game a week and plays off 10>>36. The stupidity of it when most blokes who play there are these blokes and not the good golfers out there!!

Hitting the ball sideways and not striking the ball well all day make for pretty miserable golfing as these courses really do punish the life out of you. At Crowne yes there is water yes there is some hard holes but the possibilities are there to make a couple of birdies and some pars. Where as going to the resort style of course birdies are almost as rare as Joel Griffo sightings in Newy this year and pars are also hard to come by and you can easily chalk up 7-8-9-etc in the blink of an eye several times during the round.

That also said Crowne isn't the longest course in the world which I also find good. It irritates me with Golf Course design why the idea to make them harder is to make them longer. Designing hazards and having to hit to certain areas on the course can protect the course much better than distance. I hate having to smash my driver and then a 3 wood at the green 10 times around. I do have 14 clubs in the bag and would like to use most of them!! Crowne gives you the opportunity to play Drivers 3 Woods and Irons off the tee on many holes as well as hit a variety of clubs into the green. Par 3's are also quite playable

The place is pretty flat to so I wouldn't recommend playing after rain. It dries out alright but give it a miss if it rains overnight heavily as it retains puddles well!!