Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Golf Thread

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    i have the RIGHT to carry my lob wedge and none of you will EVER take it away from me
    cold dead hand etc etc etc

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    120 comes in all shapes and sizes huh pal?
    I like beer too much so I don't get to 120 as that requires me to leave the 19th and start playing a 2nd 18 holes

Far more useful than any lob wedge.

On my honeymoon in Fiji yonks ago I went to play the resort 9 holer.

They gave me a putter, a 7 iron and three balls.....

So I think I’m gonna try and start dedicating some time to hit a ball away from me and walk after it and repeat.
    In terms of a beginner set, is eBay/gumtree a okay spot to pick something up? Or are they notoriously shit.
    Don’t really wanna spend too much on a new set until I’m sure I’m not gonna trash em hitting the ball.

Anything to look out for?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    So I think I’m gonna try and start dedicating some time to hit a ball away from me and walk after it and repeat.
    In terms of a beginner set, is eBay/gumtree a okay spot to pick something up? Or are they notoriously shit.
    Don’t really wanna spend too much on a new set until I’m sure I’m not gonna trash em hitting the ball.

Anything to look out for?
    If that is your focus then you should be fine. Maybe expand your search to pro shops at Golf Clubs and enquire at Drummond and Golf Mart about old sets

I know they do deals for trade ins and they most likely have 2nd hand sets available

No idea on price expectations

Other place to look is your standard pawn shops

the best money you can spend before even thinking about clubs is go to a course or a driving range and get one lesson. walk in, be honest, and say 'just starting, im here to get advice on clubs'. the teacher will then give you the best advice you'll ever get, because if you start out at least being able to hit the ball correctly, you'll go a long long way to enjoying yourself, which is what golf should be about.

someone can have a $900 driver on sale on ebay for $100 but if it doesnt match your swing then its pointless. a pro will tell you what to look for in clubs, then you can start building your arsenal up without wasting money on clubs that wont suit you.

just remember if you go for advice at a golf shop they are designed to sell you something, so the advice may not always be in 'your' best interest. A range/pro shop generally will want you falling in love with the game so you'll go play their courses and driving ranges.

plus once you start playing, ask your playing partners for a hit of their clubs, 99% of people wont care (dont play golf with the other 1%, those people are assholes).
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

also, the blokes i play with are ebay/gumtree demons. they are always picking real good stuff up at cheap prices, but they know what they are looking for.

its prob all stolen, but still.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

If club technology was important everyone would be playing off scratch - which is clearly not the case.
    As Plague said - get a lesson and some advice from a professional - it will save you a fortune in the long run.

technology might not be important but f*ck me dead it's great hitting an M5 compared to some shit you found on the side of the road

gumtree is legit for clubs if you know what you are looking for
    Last edited by q-money; 02-08-2019 at 02:41 PM.

technology might not be important but f*ck me dead it's great hitting an M1 compared to some shit you found on the side of the road
    im def in the boat of 'tech is good', but was more trying to explain that if you get the same driver with 2 different flex shafts they will feel completely different.
    If you match the right flex to your swing then it will cut down on the guesswork.

Did you recently get new irons too? Thinking of updating my 5 and 6. FInally getting them to go as far as they can but think some newer versions might give me a bit more grunt.
    Seems like I am WRONG

im def in the boat of 'tech is good', but was more trying to explain that if you get the same driver with 2 different flex shafts they will feel completely different.
    If you match the right flex to your swing then it will cut down on the guesswork.

Did you recently get new irons too? Thinking of updating my 5 and 6. FInally getting them to go as far as they can but think some newer versions might give me a bit more grunt.
    definitely, i was just defending how good it is to spend money on ridiculous shit

still playing the same irons, they're on the slower side of a regular flex though. i should probably go dump some coin on a fitting/matching, i think i swing too hard for most of the sticks

i've been working on shape a bit at the range. hasn't helped my game but it feels nice to launch a beautiful fade...

then go on course and slice it directly into the bushes.

plus once you start playing, ask your playing partners for a hit of their clubs
    It's bloody dangerous doing that. One monster hit of my mates Callaway X2 Hot driver and next minute I'd spent well over $2k on new clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    It's bloody dangerous doing that. One monster hit of my mates Callaway X2 Hot driver and next minute I'd spent well over $2k on new clubs.
    Strip joints.
    Drug dealers.
    Golf shops.

Nothing like the thrill of spending good money on rad shit.
    Seems like I am WRONG

these cockheads carryong on with Partick Reed make Australians look just as big a bunch a wankers as Americans.
    Seems like I am WRONG

Banned
    these cockheads carryong on with Partick Reed make Australians look just as big a bunch a wankers as Americans.
    But this whole issue is down to the ****s changing the rules of Golf

Forever you were never allowed to ground your club or improve your lie in a hazard

So if that rule was still in place the bloke is not even getting close to infringing the rule as he knows the consequences

Now you can do so much more that in the past you could never do like remove stones ground your club etc

So it really the rulemakers fault for allowing this shit in the first place

The game was never meant to be fair but Reeds biggest issue is he has not come out after the penalty called on him and copped it on the chin. Reality is you meant to be calling penalties on yourself but when one is called on you you have to take it on the chin and not argue the semantics of it

all points re: P. Reed aside - how good was the President's Cup?

Down to the last two matches on a Sunday arvo with Sha Tin in the background, hook it into my veins

all points re: P. Reed aside - how good was the President's Cup?

Down to the last two matches on a Sunday arvo with Sha Tin in the background, hook it into my veins
    Tiger on fire, Ancer was legit.
    Leishman and Scott were problematic. Smith aimed up, azians stepped up.
    Im fine with Read giving it the big ones.
    Seems like I am WRONG