Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yoof 15/16

My report from Saturday arvo's match. Thanks to all who have helped to get my work out there, appreciate it.

Newcastle Jets Youth climbed to the top of Conference B in the Foxtel National Youth League with a hard-fought 1-0 victory against the FFA Centre of Excellence (FFA CoE) on Saturday afternoon.

FFA CoE dominated territory and possession in the early exchanges, however it was Newcastle’s Cody Carroll who created the first chance of the match in the 13th minute. Carroll pounced on a turnover at the back and charged through on goal, however his low left-footed strike was well met by a one-handed reflex save by FFA CoE keeper Brandon Osipov.

FFA CoE didn’t seem to heed the warning shot, as the Jets took the lead two minutes later. With the FFA CoE committing numbers forward in search of an early goal, Newcastle broke quickly on the counter attack and played Kristian Brymora in behind the defence. Despite heavy attention from the last defender, the young striker took the chance quickly and beat Osipov at the near post with a low left-footed strike.

FFA CoE continued to hold the majority of possession, however the greatest threats came from Newcastle through Carroll and Charlie Horsley on the break. On the half-hour mark, the pair combined on the left with a one-two to put Horsley into space. The winger bent in a low cross towards the blue shirts queuing up at the back post, and if not for a last ditch interception by the FFA CoE defence, the junior Jets may well have doubled their lead.

Newcastle’s goal was rarely troubled in the first half, however FFA CoE almost went to the break on level terms as they saw a back-post header just loop over the top of Bon Scott’s crossbar.

Six minutes after the re-start, Carroll was again denied by Osipov as he got on the end of a cross from the right, but somehow the keeper managed to block the effort from point-blank range to keep his team in the match.

Two minutes later the Canberra-based outfit were presented with their best chance of the match with an indirect free kick inside the penalty area, after a mix-up at the back saw Scott pick up Themba Muata-Marlow’s backpass. From the resulting free kick, the wall of blue shirts managed to hold firm and deflect the powerful goal-bound strike away to safety.

Scott was in the thick of the action, as he made a diving fingertip save down to his right to divert the ball around the post to preserve Newcastle’s slender lead.

Millimetres separated Newcastle and an elusive second goal on the hour mark, as Brymora got in behind the FFA CoE defence and found Carroll with an early cross, whose thumping header from a running jump cannoned into the underside of the crossbar, onto the goal line and out.

Luck deserted Carroll again with ten minutes remaining as he broke through on the left, only to see his shot somehow diverted into the side-netting by an outstanding Osipov.

Despite sustained pressure from the CoE in the final ten minutes as they searched for an equaliser, Newcastle refused to buckle under wave after wave of attacks with top spot in sight and held strong to record their third victory on the bounce.

The new league leaders have the bye next week and aren’t in action again until the New Year, while FFA CoE return to the capital to take on the Central Coast Mariners on Saturday afternoon.

Newcastle Jets Youth 1 (Brymora 15’)
    FFA Centre of Excellence 0
    Magic Park, Newcastle

Newcastle Jets Youth: 1. Bon Scott (Gk), 2. Ben Hay (16. Rhyan Smith 60’), 4. Thomas Whiteside, 5. Caio De Godoy, 6. Josh Barresi (12. Ryan Ensor 71’), 7. Finn Parris (14. Adam Cawley 69’), 8. Andrew Pawiak (C), 9. Kristian Brymora, 10. Cody Carroll, 11. Charles Horsley, 15. Themba Muata-Marlow
    Unused Substitute: 20. Blake Tuxford (Gk)
    Yellow Cards: Pawiak (C)
    Red Cards: Nil

FFA Centre of Excellence: 12. Brandon Osipov (Gk), 3. Henry Davies, 6. Joe Caletti (C), 8. Daniel Arzani, 14. Solomon-Johnn Monahan Vaiika (16. Danny Kim 83’), 15. Joshua Hope, 17. Nicholas Panetta (7. Daniel Maskin 69’), 19. Charlie Devereux (25. Marc Tokich 73’), 23. Kosta Petratos, 24. Jackson Bandiera, 26. Aaron Reardon
    Unused Substitute: 1. Duro Dragicevic (Gk)
    Yellow Cards: Monahan Vaiika
    http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/arti...i1khwxtwvbtz93

Nice work again.

I took my family over on Saturday and enjoyed it. My son enjoyed playing behind the goals and went for a walk around at half time.

I agree FFA CoE dominated the match but they didn't create as many chances as Jets Youth did. I was impressed with a number of the players and I hope a few of them get the opportunity to train with the A-League team soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    Went and watched on Saturday and to be perfectly fair Jets Yooc were lucky to get the win.

Rather interesting to note the selection processes at the club for the EJ and NYL etc

They seem to put no emphasis on selecting kids with any ability to compete physically in the game. Matter if fact they refuse to even coach this aspect into the kids.

The amount of times kids never made a committed challenge for the ball was a disgrace

Who is responsible for this approach that sets these kids up to fail when the going gets tough??

Ok, so I headed down to Pooperscoopa Park in the wild west yesterday as a spectator/fan and I know my opinion will be unpopular, as on FB I've already been told to "wake up to myself" and to "pull my head in" but I don't care so I'll say it anyway. Not that this makes me any more important than the next person, but I can see a few more things on the inside than the usual supporter.

I called it a few weeks ago that the greatest threat to grand final qualification for these guys was not WSW, SFC or CCM - but their own A-League manager. Put simply, the decision to not let Lundy and Cooper play cost them the win. I'd have no problems with their omission to keep them in cotton wool for today, if they were actually part of the first team plans. You don't need to be a genius to see that Lundy and Cooper are being frozen out at the moment and likely will be omitted altogether today or be unused substitutes - as history would suggest. They may well get minutes today and I may be wrong, but the same thing happened last NYL matchday and the boys were lucky to keep their title hopes alive with a young team in a 1-0 win as MFKS mentions above. That weekend, Lundy and Cooper didn't even make the bench...and when they are, Miller makes inspired substitutions like Watson on with 10 to go at 0-0 when the game was there for the taking vs Adelaide at home.

When Lundy and Coops have played this season in the A-League, they've been roasted for their performances by the fans - whether that be right or wrong. The key to getting better is getting decent gametime, whether that's in the NYL or A-League. They won't get better by being kept in cotton wool and picking splinters out of their arses. Both these guys have been an integral part of the team this NYL season and have done quite well trying to work their way back into A-League contention. You can only train so much - law of diminishing returns and all that.

Without them, with all due respect to the young kids who played yesterday, I do see their potential and they may well be NYL quality in a year or two, but IMO to play them for 90 minutes in a game this season is a bridge too far. Need a bit more seasoning and toughening up (perhaps in 1st grade NPL this winter). Although they had a real go, we had little go forward and it was an easy way to play out for WSW at times. Andy Brennan's pace and physicality in the #9 was a constant threat and kept the WSW defence honest the whole first half.

Brennan went off at HT and after that it all fell like a house of cards. We just couldn't get field position, had little threat going forward for most of the second half and couldn't keep the ball in the front third. This put extra stress and strain on the midfield and defence and with the quality WSW brought off the bench, managed to crack us twice, take the points and probably kill our season. There were a few chances created which someone of the ilk of Lundy/Cooper would have done better, been there for a tap in, or been braver when a headed chance was on a plate.

But hey, it's not Clayton Zane's fault - he can only play the cards dealt to him by Miller. The team gave it a bloody good go in the circumstances though. Up 1-0 at HT against a team full of Young Socceroos and/or a handful of A-League matches - Alessi, D'Cunha, Fofanah, Youlley, K.Baccus, Macdonald, Shabow, Devlin, Shannon Cole.....the list goes on. How that team isn't winning this comp, I don't know. They're VERY strong on paper and although deserved their win, it could easily have swung the other way.

There was a couple of instances yesterday where WSW were lucky the ref didn't see things, or chose not to punish a player. Carroll was involved in a physical challenge with Youlley, then as the ball got away from the pair, he kicked Carroll off the ball in the ankle. Would have been in trouble if the ref saw it. Late in the game, there was a scramble on the touchline, and Macdonald jumped in with two feet at Benny Hay as he was trying to get the ball under control. Very lucky for young Benjamin, Macdonald missed him. Not even a foul for dangerous play. Got some Newy spectators going in the stands.

Best performers for me yesterday were Themba who was rock solid at the back, Carroll who was pretty sharp and Pawiak in the middle of the park who led his team very well, guided the youngsters throughout and worked his arse off for 95 minutes. At 2-1 down in the 92nd minute when they were pushing everyone on to try and find an equaliser (which they so nearly got), although he had absolutely nothing left in the tank, he found something extra to turn and sprint after Fofanah as he broke on the counter on what would have been a 40-50 yard lung-busting dash towards goal. Seriously, these kids play with so much passion and pride for the shirt, the club and the city of Newy that it makes me proud to watch them week in, week out. They play with 100% more heart than those jokers on the big bucks.

They need to beat SFC and CCM now - while hoping SFC slip up. Unlikely, but there's a slim chance. No matter what happens in the last 2 games, Clayton and his boys can be very proud of their season. It's been a super effort without Lundy and Cooper some weeks, Cowburn pretty well every week and they also lost Burke and Waller for the season. Chin up, lads. Be proud of your efforts.

I'll write up a more objective match report later on too guys.

Banned
    Good post

Interesting points you raise.

The mistreatment of Cooper this season is a disgrace

The treatment of Lundy both under Muppet and Miller is a disgrace

Both have been fighting off scraps of opportunity in an under performing side

Both actually offer the bit different the HAL side miss. Why is that not being afforded opportunity to develop yet we keep playing plodders going nowhere???

Disagree it is disappointing we are now out of final contention. We need to be better than we are with the EJ program
    Success is papering over the cracks of GVE and Northern failings across the board

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Good post

Interesting points you raise.

The mistreatment of Cooper this season is a disgrace

The treatment of Lundy both under Muppet and Miller is a disgrace

Both have been fighting off scraps of opportunity in an under performing side

Both actually offer the bit different the HAL side miss. Why is that not being afforded opportunity to develop yet we keep playing plodders going nowhere???

Disagree it is disappointing we are now out of final contention. We need to be better than we are with the EJ program
    Success is papering over the cracks of GVE and Northern failings across the board
    Cheers mate.

Spot on. We'll agree to disagree but I can see what you mean about papering over cracks.

Oh and lo and behold - I was right re: Lundy and Cooper today. Omitted and unused sub. And with SFC's win over CCM today, the NYL season is pretty well down the shitter. Cheers, gaffer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Cheers mate.

Spot on. We'll agree to disagree but I can see what you mean about papering over cracks.

Oh and lo and behold - I was right re: Lundy and Cooper today. Omitted and unused sub. And with SFC's win over CCM today, the NYL season is pretty well down the shitter. Cheers, gaffer.
    Miller called him to the bench with 8 mins to go. Made out he was putting him on and then left him out of it.

Almost looked deliberate

How the **** he puts Crowley and Pavicevic on ahead of Cooper defies belief

Miller called him to the bench with 8 mins to go. Made out he was putting him on and then left him out of it.

Almost looked deliberate

How the **** he puts Crowley and Pavicevic on ahead of Cooper defies belief
    Not the first time this season he's strung the substitutes along for almost 90 minutes, only for them to finish the game sitting on the bench with only 1 or 2 subs made.

The Foxtel National Youth League title hopes of the Newcastle Jets Youth team were dealt a severe blow after falling to a 2-1 defeat against Western Sydney Wanderers Youth in Sydney’s west on Saturday.

In a pulsating encounter, the Jets took the lead against the run of play before two second half goals from Wanderers substitute Lachlan Scott secured the win for the red and black to leave Newcastle with a mountain to climb if they are to qualify for the Foxtel National Youth League Grand Final as Conference B winners.

Despite Wanderers holding the majority of possession in the opening exchanges, it was the Jets who fired the first warning shot as speedsters Cody Carroll and Andy Brennan combined on a swift counter attack, before the Western Sydney defence diffused the danger.

With only five minutes on the clock, the home side almost hit the front after Mario Shabow saw his header rebound off the crossbar after a scramble in the penalty area.

Within a minute the hosts were behind. Josh Barresi picked up the ball in midfield and quickly released Finn Parris behind the defence to go one-on-one with the keeper. Despite the last defender quickly gaining ground, the young winger kept his cool and slid the ball under the onrushing Matt Symes to put the title hopefuls ahead.

That didn’t deter the Wanderers as they were nearly level two minutes later. Left-back Alusine Fofanah made a storming run into the area and struck a venomous drive against the left upright and out.

The action continued to go from end to end, and on 12 minute, Brennan got in behind the Wanderers defence and fired a low cross in, but the chance went begging as there were no white shirts positioned for a simple tap in on the six-yard box.

The frenetic start to the match continued in the 23rd minute as Wanderers number nine Kyle Cimenti forced Jets keeper Bon Scott into a superb diving save.

Newcastle returned fire two minutes later when Ben Hay crossed from the right for Adam Cawley who forced Symes into the save of the match.

From there, the match eventually settled into a rhythm with the Wanderers seeing most of the ball.

Shortly before half time, Jets midfielder Andrew Pawiak beat the fullback with some fancy footwork and fizzed in a curling cross from the right flank which somehow evaded all of the Newcastle attackers.

Despite being under heavy pressure from that point to the break, the Jets’ structure and discipline in defence held strong to ensure they went into the interval 1-0 up, when perhaps 4-4 may have been a more fitting scoreline.

Both coaches chose to make changes at the break, with the key change being the introduction of eventual match-winner Lachlan Scott. Three minutes after half time, Scott brought the Wanderers level after a goalmouth scramble which saw Cimenti hit the crossbar before the ball fell to the substitute attacker who fired in from close range off the post.

The goal proved to be the turning point in the match, as the Wanderers wrestled momentum of the game after pulling themselves back on level terms. In the 55th minute, Josh Macdonald fired in a low free kick from the right which amazingly missed everybody, when it seemed only a faint touch was required to divert the ball into the net.

However - cometh the hour, cometh the man. With half an hour to play, Scott picked up the ball in a central position before curling a long-range effort in at the far post past his namesake in the Newcastle goal.

From there, it seemed only a matter of time before the Wanderers turned their possession and territory into a third goal. Jets keeper Scott ensured this wouldn’t happen with fine saves in the 65th and 81st minutes from long-range rasping drives by Macdonald and substitute Tariq Maia respectively.

The Jets seemed to hang in and pick themselves up to give the Wanderers a few late scares. With time ticking away as the Jets pushed everybody forward in search of an equaliser, fullback Hay got in behind the defence a number of times and sent inviting cross after cross through the defence, which Newcastle were not able to capitalise on.

The final chance came deep into time added on, when Newcastle captain Pawiak went on a slalom run past the red and black shirts before threading a delicate ball through for Kristian Brymora who, despite a lunging effort, just saw the ball snatched away off his bootlaces by Symes, before the final whistle brought an end to a highly entertaining clash.

Despite the victory, Sydney FC’s 5-3 win against the Mariners 24 hours later means that Western Sydney are out of Grand Final contention. Newcastle remain in contention, however must defeat Sydney FC at Wanderers Oval this weekend if they are to take the race for top spot down to the final day in a fortnight’s time.

Western Sydney Wanderers Youth 2 (Scott 48’, 60’)
    Newcastle Jets Youth 1 (Parris 6’)
    Popondetta Park, Emerton, Western Sydney

Newcastle Jets Youth: 1. Bon Scott (Gk), 2. Ben Hay, 4. Thomas Whiteside, 5. Caio De Godoy (12. Rhyan Smith 52’), 6. Josh Barresi (3. Ryan Ensor 75’), 7. Finn Parris, 8. Andrew Pawiak (C), 9. Andy Brennan (14. Kristian Brymora 46’), 10. Cody Carroll, 11. Adam Cawley, 15. Themba Muata-Marlow
    Unused Substitute: 20. Blake Tuxford (Gk)
    Yellow Cards: Hay 41’

Western Sydney Wanderers: 1. Matt Symes (Gk), 3. Shayne D’Cunha, 4. Daniel Alessi (C), 5. Alusine Fofanah, 6. Liam Youlley, 7. Joshua Macdonald, 8. Kearyn Baccus (14. Lachlan Scott 46’), 9. Kyle Cimenti (2. Shannon Cole 62’), 10. Cameron Devlin, 11. Mario Shabow (13. Tariq Maia 46’) 12. Keanu Baccus
    Unused Substitute: 20. Nicholas Suman (Gk)
    Yellow Cards: Devlin 57’, Cole 69’, Youlley 90+3’
    http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/arti...019zyixmtatxgm

Hey All, here's my match report for Sunday's 1-0 win against Sydney FC:

The Newcastle Jets Youth’s faint title hopes remain alive after edging out a 10-man Sydney FC Youth by a goal to nil at Magic Park on Sunday afternoon in the Foxtel National Youth League.

Just like the game against the Wanderers the previous weekend, the match started at a frenetic pace with both teams knowing the significance of this clash. Sydney FC only needed a point in this game to seal grand final qualification against Conference A champions Adelaide United Youth, while the Jets had to win to stay in the running.

The Jets crafted the first chance of the game in the second minute when Charlie Horsley broke down the left and sent an inviting cross into the box. Winger Andy Brennan won the aerial contest but couldn’t direct his header goalbound.

Brennan didn’t have to wait long to get on the scoresheet. Two minutes later, Sydney FC failed to clear a corner which created an almost comical goalmouth scramble inside the six yard box. Eventually, the ball popped out of the pack and the Tasmanian was on hand to smash the ball home from close range, much to the delight of his teammates and the vocal home crowd.

Sky Blues striker Bai Antoniou was a constant threat to Newcastle as Sydney often looked to find open space in behind the Jets defence. In the 9th minute, Antoniou beat his marker before firing a low cross along the six yard box, but there were no white shirts to claim a simple tap in. Three minutes later, the young striker was found on an overlapping run in behind on the left, however could only blast his shot wide with the whole goal to aim at.

The barrage of Sydney’s attacking forays continued, but the Jets defence scrambled well to deny Max Burgess in the 33rd minute to clear the danger. From the resulting play, Newcastle hit Sydney on the break through number ten Cody Carroll. Carroll took on the defence on his own and managed to weave his way past 3 defenders before being bundled over in the penalty area by defender George Timotheu, who went into the referee’s notebook for the challenge. Brennan stepped up to the spot to double his and the Jets’ tally, however sprayed his powerful shot over the bar to give the Sky Blues a reprieve.

Sydney almost went to the break deservedly on level terms when Jets keeper Blake Tuxford made a sharp save before the rebound was put over the top.

Newcastle started the second half the better of the two sides. Carroll and Brennan used their speed to get in behind and combine well, however Carroll could only divert Brennan’s cross over the top of Anthony Bouzanis’ crossbar.

The turning point in the match arrived five minutes after half-time. Sydney right-back Nicola Kuleski made a strong run into the penalty area before hitting the turf as he was challenged by the Jets defence. The referee blew his whistle and sprinted over, not to award a penalty, but to rule that there was minimal contact and booked Kuleski for simulation, his second booking of the day and dismissed him.

After this incident, the Jets looked comfortable in possession with the man advantage and looked to go searching for the elusive second goal. Josh Barresi teed up Carroll, but couldn’t beat Bouzanis.

Despite being a man light, Sydney remained very dangerous with the ball. Just after the hour, Tuxford saved his side once again with a good stop at the near post when the Sky Blues found an opening. Tuxford again was the saviour five minutes later when a move broke down for Newcastle and former Jet, Burgess sprinted at goal to go one on one with the keeper. Tuxford held his nerve, forced Burgess wide and saved the goalbound shot.

Sydney kept coming and it was Tuxford again who was proving impossible to beat. With 15 minutes remaining, Antoniou tested him from long range, but the young custodian proved equal to the task.

In the 77th minute, there was another goalmouth scramble and just when it seemed certain Sydney would find the equalising goal, the ball was hooked wide of an open goal from a tough angle.

Antoniou remained the danger man and fizzed a shot narrowly wide of the far post when Sydney found an opening with seven minutes left on the clock.

It was the outstanding Tuxford again who thwarted the Sky Blues for the final time in the 86th minute when he batted away another rasping long range drive.

As the game moved into injury time and Sydney pushing everyone on to try and find the point that would set a date with Adelaide in a fortnight’s time, the Jets broke on the counter and found left-back Ryan Ensor who picked out an unmarked Kristian Brymora on the penalty spot. With substitute Tyson Jackson in support and only Bouzanis to beat, Brymora elected to go it alone, however Bouzanis pulled off one of the saves of the match to keep his team alive.

Sydney wasted no time in getting the ball back into the danger zone and in the 94th minute, a long ball from the back drew a foul in a dangerous area for the Jets. Max Burgess lined up the shot, but the wall of blue held strong before the final whistle ended yet another pulsating encounter, with players from both sides slumping to the ground in exhaustion after having given everything for 94-and-a-half entertaining minutes.

By claiming the points, Newcastle finish unbeaten at home and the only side to take points off Sydney, doing so both home and away. The result keeps the Jets in the hunt for a grand final spot, however they must defeat the Central Coast Mariners away from home next Saturday morning while hoping the FFA Centre of Excellence can spring a huge upset and defeat the current leaders the following day.

Clayton Zane’s team was warmly applauded off the park by the largest home crowd of the season as they live to fight another day.

Newcastle Jets Youth 1 (Brennan 4’) Sydney FC Youth 0 at Magic Park, Broadmeadow (Newcastle).

Newcastle Jets Youth: 1. Blake Tuxford (GK), 2. Ben Hay (C) (14. Rhyan Smith), 4. Thomas Whiteside, 5. Ryan Ensor 6. Josh Barresi 7. Andy Brennan (12. Jake McGuiness), 8. Andrew Pawiak, 9. Kristian Brymora, 10. Cody Carroll, 11. Charles Horsley (16. Tyson Jackson), 15. Themba Muata-Marlow.

Unused Substitute: 20. Jez Murray (GK)

Yellow Cards: Barresi 25’, Brennan 59’

Sydney FC: 1. Anthony Bouzanis (GK), 2. George Timotheu, 5. Yianni Spyrakis (C), 6. Nikola Kuleski, 8. Max Burgess, 9. Bai Antoniou, 11. Lachlan Huhes, 12. Charles Lokoli Ngoy (18. Emmanuel Gonzalez 58’), 14. Cristian Gonzalez (16. Brendan Curtis 58’), 15. Jacob Tratt (3. Patrick Flottmann 80’), 19. Aaron Avery.

Unused Substitute: 20. Nicholas Sorras (GK)

Yellow Cards: Timotheu 33’, Kuleski 37’, 50’, Hughes 40’, Tratt 44’, Curtis 90+2’.
    Red Cards: Kuleski 50’.

Great stuff Jonty. Well done again.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    Hey All, here's my match report for Sunday's 1-0 win against Sydney FC:
    From your write up it would seem these kids are actually learning nothing about controlling a game when in front??

It seemed like 1 way traffic against us in the second half despite the opponent having 10 men and being behind.

Consistent theme with the Jets Yoof teams not being taught how to close out results in the correct manner. Far too often they fail to control games when in front

Cheers JP, appreciate it.

From your write up it would seem these kids are actually learning nothing about controlling a game when in front??

It seemed like 1 way traffic against us in the second half despite the opponent having 10 men and being behind.

Consistent theme with the Jets Yoof teams not being taught how to close out results in the correct manner. Far too often they fail to control games when in front

Fair comment. As a collective, they made hard work of winning the game with the man advantage. In this game, I'd put that down to poor choices in the final third. Lots of good build-up but the final cross, the final pass was lacking. Then Sydney would hit on the counter everytime and this put great strain on the base of the midfield and defence. In general, we just struggled to hold the ball in the final third. In the end, a combination of poor finishing, great goalkeeping and a general resilience in defence from the back 6 got them home.

Brennan started to tire midway through the second half, got through about 70 or so minutes. But I'll cut him some slack as this was only his second game back, it was bloody hot and he's getting through more minutes each time he plays. I can see the promise, it's worth persisting with him. Would love to see what he can do when fully fit.

And here's my preview for the weekend's game:

Newcastle Jets Youth live to fight another day after defeating leaders Sydney FC Youth 1-0 last weekend at Magic Park. To keep their season on life support in the quest for Grand Final qualification, Clayton Zane’s team will need to win again, this time away in an F3 Derby against Central Coast Mariners in Tuggerah on Saturday morning.
    With one game remaining in the regular season for each side, the Jets also need the Canberra-based FFA Centre of Excellence to defeat Sydney FC at Leichhardt the following day in order for Newcastle to book a date in the competition’s showpiece with Adelaide United, who have already qualified as winners of Conference A.
    The Jets will fancy their chances of doing the double over the Mariners, as confidence will be running high from beating Sydney FC home and away – a side which has not dropped points to any other team this season. Adding to the confidence of the Grand Final hopefuls will be the events of the reverse fixture when Newcastle disposed of the mini Mariners 3-0. That day Mitch Cooper, Brandon Lundy and Josh Barresi all found the net.
    Coming off a bye, the junior yellow and navy will be fresh, well up for this one and keen to end their season on a high, which has provided somewhat mixed results. Despite not being able to move from fourth position in Conference B no matter the result, Mariners Youth will be playing for pride and perhaps an opportunity with the Hyundai A-League side.

The way this season has unfolded would suggest the Jets will take the points and heap all the pressure onto Sydney FC the following day, however Central Coast are a more than handy side. Just a month ago, the Mariners sent the third-placed Western Sydney Wanderers Youth packing empty handed from Tuggerah in an incredible 7-2 thumping.
    With Newcastle playing their second ‘all or nothing’ game in six days, and the Mariners looking to prove a point, this has the potential to be as fiery as last weekend’s top of the table clash which was littered with yellow cards and one red. With everything on the line for Jets Youth in the final match of the regular season this could be one of the games of the season. A nail-biting final round of the Foxtel National Youth League – Conference B season awaits.

Central Coast Mariners Youth vs. Newcastle Jets Youth
    When: Saturday 16 January 2016
    Where: CCM Centre of Excellence, Tuggerah, New South Wales (1 Bryant Drive, Tuggerah)
    Kick-off: 10:30am
    Admission: Free
    Social Media: Use #FNYLF3Derby on social media to join the match conversation
    http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/arti...p1vklejif5103w
    Last edited by Jonty; 14-01-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Boys got up 3-2 yesterday away vs CCM. They now sit on on top albeit temporarily. They've done their part, just need a miracle to happen and hope the kids from Canberra can pull off the biggest upset of the season and beat Sydney FC in Leichhardt this afternoon.

Long story short, a shaky first half hour where we took the lead against the run of play and then CCM deservedly got in front. Shortly after the half hour we scored twice in 30 seconds and wrestled the momentum our way to go to the break 3-2 ahead after butchering a chance to go 4-2.

In the second half it was incredible the boys didn't score more. Butchered chance after chance after chance. Tux made a world class save late on to deny a Trifiro FK. We could and probably should have easily hit 7 or 8 in this game.

I was asked if I was doing a 'season in review' for the NYL. I wasn't planning on it, but upon being asked thought, why not. Here are my ramblings of how the season unfolded.

Newcastle Jets Youth – Season In Review

The Newcastle Jets Youth equalled their best ever finish in the Foxtel National Youth League, with a second-placed finish in Conference B of the revamped competition.

The Junior Jets were pipped to the post for a Grand Final spot on the final afternoon of the regular season by Sydney FC Youth – who were defeated twice by the Jets. Newcastle were the only team to take any points from the eventual national champions. Here, we take a look back at how Clayton Zane’s side fared throughout the course of the season from start to finish:

Round 1 vs WSW (H) – D 3-3

The opening weekend of the season saw the Jets hit the ground running against a shell-shocked Western Sydney Wanderers side who were put under immense pressure in the opening exchanges. The pressure eventually told, as Nick Cowburn put the home side ahead with a seventh-minute free kick. Eventually, the Wanderers got a foothold and turned the match on its head by scoring twice to go into the break with the lead.

Brandon Lundy was the hero of the second half, scoring a scorching equaliser from an acute angle, before the Jets fell behind again. With second half stoppage time ticking away, centre-back Tom Whiteside was thrown forward and the move paid dividends, with the big defender setting up Lundy to finish from close range in the 93rd minute to rescue a point.

Round 2 vs FFA CoE (A) – L 3-4

The Jets set off for Canberra on the longest road trip of the season, without Lundy and captain Andrew Pawiak, who were named on the A-League bench for the F3 derby on the same afternoon the Junior Jets travelled to the capital.

At half time, it appeared the duo were not required anyhow as the side went to the sheds 2-0 up thanks to an early goal from Kristian Brymora and a goal just before the break by Braedyn Crowley.

Unfortunately for Newcastle, it all went pear shaped as they found themselves 3-2 down just 15 minutes after the restart. There was to be late drama when Crowley levelled it up at 3-3 in the 93rd minute for the second week running, only to see the points snatched away with a 96th minute penalty to the CoE after a harsh handball call on Whiteside.

Round 4 vs CCM (H) – W 3-0

For the third match in a row, Newcastle’s attack was firing on all cylinders with another three goals. This time, the defence was on-song, as the Jets collected their first clean sheet of the season and their first victory.

Once again, the Jets drew first blood early as Pawiak brought down a poor keeper clearance. With cries of ‘shoot’ in the air, he elected instead to thread Mitch Cooper into a better position to fire home.

Lundy and Josh Barresi added two quick goals midway through the second half to finish the Mariners off to round out a convincing win.

Round 5 vs SYD (A) – W 2-1

Newcastle travelled to Leichhardt to take on the undefeated Sydney FC Youth. Although only halfway through the competition, a win here for the Sky Blues in this six-pointer may well have already sealed the Conference B title. The task was made all the more difficult with the leaders naming a very strong line-up featuring Olyroo Brandon O’Neill and other first-team players Robert Stambolziev, Aaron Calver, Chris Naumoff and Alex Mullen.

Despite going behind to a Naumoff goal early on, Lundy restored parity with a quarter of an hour played, bravely sliding in at the far post to tap home, which saw several players end up in the net. Cody Carroll netted just before half time to take an unlikely lead to the break.

Sydney FC threw everything at the Jets and despite having them under siege in the second half, Newcastle defended heroically and held strong to pull off an upset which blew the title race wide open. Zane went on to say the performance was the best he had been involved in as youth coach.

Round 6 vs FFA CoE (H) – W 1-0

With Sydney FC in their sights, the Jets needed to collect another three points against the FFA Centre of Excellence and avenge their late defeat in Canberra – and they did just that. A 15th minute Brymora goal proved to be the difference on the day.

Despite the CoE fielding a strong side with players who have since been snapped up by A-League clubs and having the vast majority of possession on the day, the Jets never really looked under threat and could have hit four or five, had it not been for the woodwork and some outstanding goalkeeping.

Round 8 vs WSW (A) – L 1-2

With the Wanderers already out of the title race, the best they could do on the day was to dent the Jets’ title hopes, which they did.

Missing Lundy and Cooper for this one, Zane fielded a young forward line and young winger Finn Parris re-paid the coach’s faith by opening the scoring in the sixth-minute. Despite the frantic pace of the game, just one goal was scored in the first half.

The comeback was complete for the Wanderers on the hour mark, with two quick goals putting the home side ahead.

The match continued to go end to end with both sides creating chances, but the Red-and-Black weathered the storm to send the Jets home empty handed and put their title hopes on life support.

Round 9 vs SYD (H) – W 1-0

This match was do-or-die for the Jets, as anything less than a win would effectively hand the Conference B title to Sydney FC.

Andy Brennan’s fourth-minute goal got the vocal home crowd on board as the 12th man. Just as the Sky Blues were pressing hard for an equaliser in the second half, they were reduced to 10 men as they had a player dismissed for two yellow cards, his second for simulation as he tried winning a penalty under the referee’s nose.

The result meant the Jets had to win the F3 derby the next week and hope that the CoE could spring the upset of the season by beating Sydney FC away from home.

Round 10 vs CCM (A) – W 3-2

The Jets entered their second do-or-die clash in six days as they travelled down the freeway to take on the Mariners. Parris opened the scoring with yet another early goal, before conceding twice before the half hour. Just four minutes later, the title hopefuls were ahead with two goals to Barresi in the space of 30 seconds. The Jets went to break 3-2 ahead and hung onto that scoreline in the second half to temporarily top the conference and pile all the pressure onto Sydney FC the following afternoon.

The Jets came within a whisker of the grand final when the CoE made it 2-2 in Sydney with 12 minutes left and pressed hard for the goal that would see the Jets qualify for the showpiece. With the CoE committing numbers forward to try and end their season on a high, a counter attack in the 86th minute saw the Sky Blues extinguish the Jets’ season. Sydney FC went onto defeat Adelaide United 5-2 in the title decider the following week.

Final Word

When asked about his standout players through the course of the season, coach Zane noted midfielder Pawiak, winger Parris and number 10 Carroll as his picks. Pawiak ably led his team around the park from the engine room and was a figure of consistency, while Parris and Carroll emerged as starting 11 players after not featuring at all in the early parts of the campaign.

Other honourable mentions must go to keeper Blake Tuxford and defenders Themba Muata-Marlow and Whiteside for their rock solid defence after conceding seven goals in the first two matches.

The team’s success was not just built on having a solid defence, but the ability to score early goals and put the opposition under pressure. The Jets scored an early goal in every match, with the latest of their openers coming in the 16th minute of the game in Sydney.

Balance was another key factor in earning positive results. With the defence and engine room complimenting each other quite well, Barresi added extra physicality, ball winning ability and forward drive after being re-incarnated as a defensive midfielder and linking up well with Carroll and the frontline and was outstanding in the latter stages of the season.

The season proved to be a commendable effort with regular players occasionally missing due to A-League commitments and losing key players Antonee Burke and Tom Waller early in the season due to injury, who will return to strengthen the side this winter in the NPL.

Despite final day disappointment, Clayton Zane and his team have much to be proud of and can take many positives into the upcoming NPL season. With a reasonably young and at times, inexperienced side, they defied the odds and almost went all the way.

Will post this up on the front page - nice one mate
    Jeterpool - anyone you know who could do a similar review for the Jets wleague team?
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Not that I'm aware of sorry

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Will post this up on the front page - nice one mate
    Jeterpool - anyone you know who could do a similar review for the Jets wleague team?
    Cheers Furns.

Cheers Furns.
    review will be published at 930am
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast