Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Introduction

My Introduction

Hi everyone. I'm new here as of today so I thought I'd introduce myself and let you all know a little about my interest in Soccer Football. This 'introduction' comes from the opening page of my website which is titled - NSW State League Soccer Statistical History.

Growing up and playing junior soccer in the Sutherland Shire, I discovered that State League football was played in my neighbourhood just in time for the last premiership round of the 1977 season. The match was Sutherland Shire against local rivals, Arncliffe Scots. Enjoying myself as much as I did, I couldn't wait for the next season to begin. An early Febuary Ampol Cup 'double-header' being the next match I attended, featuring the local team up against Yugal, and fellow first-division club, Avala against second-division hopefuls, Marrickville.

My interest in local football emanates from that era, of course the Philips Soccer League was in its infancy, so I'd missed Sutherland's epic battles with the giants of Sydney Soccer. Clubs like Hakoah, St. George Budapest, Marconi Fairfield, Western Suburbs and Pan Hellenic were already a part of a bygone era, however the State League clubs of the day provided as much, if not more interest in the ways of an ethnic population very 'foreign' to a kid who up until then assumed that 'the Shire' was typical of the rest of Sydney. Supporters of clubs like APIA, Croatia, Avala, Yugal, Melita, Polonia and Rockdale Ilinden, speaking different languages, reading different newspapers, eating different foods, passionately supporting their team, half-time entertainment from the likes of Croatian, Serbian and Macedonia dancing groups, the occasional crowd violence ... it was all so new and exciting.

Since moving back to Sydney from the NSW North Coast, I've been researching the history of NSW State League Soccer both at the State Library of NSW, and at the various newspaper archive websites online. Midway through last year I finally decided to publish a website with the statistical information that I'd been gathering, although I now understand that I've been beaten to the punch, with another local football enthusiast publishing a book on the history of the game in this state. Not to worry. If any of you guys visit the website I hope you enjoy it and start returning regularly as I intend to continue adding to the various sections as time permits. If you would like to help to support this project financially, please don't hesitate to visit the Go Fund Me donations page and make a contribution.

Nowadays of course we have the A-League, and while supporting the State's teams with some enthusiasm, I must admit that I'm not as passionate as I used to be, as I believe that we need to retain and acknowledge the roots to our ethnic origins more. I also think we should add the following new clubs to make it a truly national league - North Queensland, Gold Coast, Auckland, Canberra, Wollongong and Tasmania, and down the track a little, a second division with sixteen regional clubs as areas like Coffs Harbour, Geelong, Albury, SW Western Australia and Western NSW aren't truly represented.

Anyway, thanks for having me, I hope I can contribute a thing or two.

Many kind regards, Nicole.

p.s., I used to chat on the Austadiums forum as 'Nic'.

Banned
    Actually lost interest as soon as you used the word sockah.

That's okay, judging by your avatar, you're not much of a thinker anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    I have a crush on you already.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    here I was opening a thread expecting a spambot, only to find purest gold

welcome to the forum Nicole

Greatest second post ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Actually lost interest as soon as you used the word sockah.

Touché

Hello Nicole
    I did some State League 'time' whilst following Newcastle in the wilderness years between Newcastle KB/Rosebuds (78-86)
    until Newcastle Breakers (Oct 91). I must admit that I gained a huge insight into the football culture back then that was
    underpinning the NSW/Sydney teams in the NSL. Ate some great food and had some...ahem...colourful experiences.

If I really dig I might be able to find some info from seasons 87-91.

Willkommen!

Best new poster 2015. Welcome!

Welcome Nicole.

Any Jets stats let me know. I can help you out.

If you need some fir other clubs i suggest you speak with Andy Howe. He is a stats FREAK!

Also ToddNBUnited is hooked up with Newcastle football history, too
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 28-12-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Wish this forum had a like button.
    I have a new favorite poster on this forum. It's even better that you have found a way to silence MFKS.

She shoots! She scores!

anti Christian ok here but dont knock anything else

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I won't attack anyone needlessly, but this one did attack first. And I'm not necessarily anti-christian, I'm anti-religion.

And when I'm up to later years with Newcastle in State League, along with Adamstown Rosebud I'll surely ask.

In fact, back in the era that I'm looking at now, 1900-1910, Newcastle clubs figured prominently in the State Cup, known as the Gardiner Cup. Teams such as West Wallsend, Wallsend, Broadmeadow, Weston, and Adamstown Rosebud spring to mind. And often they were matched against teams from the Illawarra in the early rounds of the knock-out competition and either team had to travel to the other - a very long distance in those days, remembering that matches were only played on Saturday afternoons - people worked on Saturday mornings and Sunday was taboo. The State Cup was only played intermittently during those years as the administrators tinkered with the format and number of teams in the Sydney competition - nothing has changed in other words. Later on, there were two associations running the game in the north - the Newcastle Association, and the South Maitland Association, and into the 1930's a true'er State League was formed with teams from Newcastle/Maitland competing against Sydney teams.

Illawarra and Newcastle. The forgotten heart beds of football. Playing the game before Western Sydney existed
    Go jetties

I should correct myself and say that Newcastle/Maitland teams played against Sydney and Illawarra teams from about the 1930's for a while as teams like Corrimal, Balgownie Rangers and Woonona-Bulli played in the State League too.

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I won't attack anyone needlessly, but this one did attack first. And I'm not necessarily anti-christian, I'm anti-religion.
    its quite common to for people to dislike the word sockah round here, your in nrl country now. A bit touchy if you think thats an attack although in our world climate you cant be too careful. Anti religion is in the bigot class you know havent you found the spaghetti people yet? love everyone man, except naughty people, they can foad.

BTW check how many Newcastle players turn out for these Sydney teams in these early years, there's quite a few. hope you can fill out the rest of your plan, its a biggy

Hahahahahahahahaha....if you judge his lack of thought by his avatar wait until you read some his posts.......

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    Hahahahahahahahaha....if you judge his lack of thought by his avatar wait until you read some his posts.......
    Maybe YOU need to (re)read his posts.....just saying
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.