... (NSL) was Newcastle KB United v Heidelberg United at the Newcastle International Sports Centre in about 1979.

I was a junior squash player in those days, representing the Sutherland Shire against Newcastle, Illawarra and Canberra and playing at the Squash Courts behind the Sports Centre. A few other kids and I, possibly during the second half got in for nothing and sat in the top of the huge grandstand. Newcastle were the big thing in the NSL in those years, huge crowds and great PR, I bought a team photo (black and white) from the merchandise shop, but I've no idea where it is now. The only player's name I remember from that team is Alf Stamp!

A few years later I convinced my father to take me to an NSL game, the same father (obviously) that was scared to take me to the 1978 grand final to watch Sutherland v Croatia because he's heard of the Ustase - he took me to see St. George BSC and Preston Makedonia. I'd already been to many State League matches at Seymour Shaw by then.

So what was the first match that you went to, NSL, A-League, State League, other League, here or abroad ...