Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First match I went to ...

First match I went to ...

... (NSL) was Newcastle KB United v Heidelberg United at the Newcastle International Sports Centre in about 1979.

I was a junior squash player in those days, representing the Sutherland Shire against Newcastle, Illawarra and Canberra and playing at the Squash Courts behind the Sports Centre. A few other kids and I, possibly during the second half got in for nothing and sat in the top of the huge grandstand. Newcastle were the big thing in the NSL in those years, huge crowds and great PR, I bought a team photo (black and white) from the merchandise shop, but I've no idea where it is now. The only player's name I remember from that team is Alf Stamp!

A few years later I convinced my father to take me to an NSL game, the same father (obviously) that was scared to take me to the 1978 grand final to watch Sutherland v Croatia because he's heard of the Ustase - he took me to see St. George BSC and Preston Makedonia. I'd already been to many State League matches at Seymour Shaw by then.

So what was the first match that you went to, NSL, A-League, State League, other League, here or abroad ...

So long ago. KB vs Sydney if i recall. Cant remember the score or much else.

Can't tell you what match. I can tell you though that it was the Breakers at Birmingham Gardens

Ampol Cup games very early 70's, WC and Youth WC qualifiers, NSL when it started in 1977 - went to all Mooroolbark United Games - they only won five games but theyteam always fought hard - just didn't have the cattle.

We built our own rattles to take to the games and painted them with our club colours as well. [ No idea what happened to them though]. Probably sitting in a bag somewhere with a dozen or so extremely unstable old flares
    Last edited by The Dunster; 29-12-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Can't tell you my match but it was at the current stadium. It was United days too.

I seem to recall a match where Johnny Maj came off the bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

First A-league match was vs Sydney in season 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Can't tell you my match but it was at the current stadium. It was United days too.

I seem to recall a match where Johnny Maj came off the bench
    I remember my first game at Turton Road, got there about 5 minutes late, missed kick off and sat halfway up in the western stand, right next to the Perspex that separate the seats from a tumble to almost certain death below. Couldn't tell you who played but was bitterly cold. We sat that close to the Perspex in the vain hope that it would block some of the icy cold wind that was tearing through the place.

I went to one game at Breakers Stadium a few months after the 98 World Cup. Before then, I had no real interest in football and it was actually FIFA Road to the World Cup 98 that got me interested in it.

Couldn't tell you who we played, just remember we lost and John Buonavoglia scored our only goal.

Quote Originally Posted by weston View Post
    Can't tell you what match. I can tell you though that it was the Breakers at Birmingham Gardens
    Same with me

My first game was at the ISC it was KB versus Sydney City we lost 4-1 in 78, My first socceroos game was at the SCG against Juventus in 84 we won 2-0.
    I remember going to plenty of games over the years from early NSL days KB to Rosebuds to Breakers to united and now the Jets. Have have plenty of good memories with the Rowdies those were the days.
    Last edited by foti68; 29-12-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foti68 View Post
    My first game was at the ISC it was KB versus Sydney City we lost 4-1 in 78, My first socceroos game was at the SCG against Juventus in 84 we won 2-0.
    I remember going to plenty of games over the years from early NSL days KB to Rosebuds to Breakers to united and now the Jets. Have have plenty of good memories with the Rowdies those were the days.
    Was that the series when Manchester United came too? I went to that game at the SCG and it was a very drab 0-0 draw.

I was at St. George Stadium when Craig Johnston played for Newcastle. Very big crowd predicted but rain kept it down to about 4,000. And from memory I think Saints won that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Was that the series when Manchester United came too? I went to that game at the SCG and it was a very drab 0-0 draw.

I was at St. George Stadium when Craig Johnston played for Newcastle. Very big crowd predicted but rain kept it down to about 4,000. And from memory I think Saints won that day.
    That was the same series

My first game: PSG-Monaco 1978 Parc Des Princes.....lost 2-0 and I cried (Note Zlatan was not born yet)
    Last edited by lquiquer; 29-12-2015 at 06:10 PM.
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Sydney FC away in season 2, Miltons brace on debut. Backed it up with Coast away the next week and havent looked back since.

First game I went to for the jets was round 3 vs Sydney fc at home in season one. Remarkably our first ever win.

I'm not 100% sure who KB United were playing as I was only 8 when I went to my first NSL match but I do remember going to a game in that same inaugural season for KB United in 1978 when the crowd was 17-18,000. Marconi was the opposition and they had some bald guy called Bobby Charlton making a guest appearance for them!

Some 27 years later was there for the very first A League game when our own Jets played Adelaide in 2005.

... (NSL) was Newcastle KB United v Heidelberg United at the Newcastle International Sports Centre in about 1979.

I was a junior squash player in those days, representing the Sutherland Shire against Newcastle, Illawarra and Canberra and playing at the Squash Courts behind the Sports Centre. A few other kids and I, possibly during the second half got in for nothing and sat in the top of the huge grandstand. Newcastle were the big thing in the NSL in those years, huge crowds and great PR, I bought a team photo (black and white) from the merchandise shop, but I've no idea where it is now. The only player's name I remember from that team is Alf Stamp!

A few years later I convinced my father to take me to an NSL game, the same father (obviously) that was scared to take me to the 1978 grand final to watch Sutherland v Croatia because he's heard of the Ustase - he took me to see St. George BSC and Preston Makedonia. I'd already been to many State League matches at Seymour Shaw by then.

So what was the first match that you went to, NSL, A-League, State League, other League, here or abroad ...
    Ahhh the dreaded Ustashe, how times have changed, in the 70's and 80's if you were of Croatian origin you were labelled a fascist or Nazi, nowadays there is no denying the strong and positive links between the Croatian community and football in Australia, particular over the last 20 years with players, coaches and commentators. The list is endless and continues to grow...Bosnich, Viduka, Zelic, Popovic, Rudan, Milicic etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure who KB United were playing as I was only 8 when I went to my first NSL match but I do remember going to a game in that same inaugural season for KB United in 1978 when the crowd was 17-18,000. Marconi was the opposition and they had some bald guy called Bobby Charlton making a guest appearance for them!
    I think you'll find that Bobby Charlton played for Blacktown City. They made their NSL debut in 1980.

Banned
    Would have been the Breakers second home game.

Missed the first as was away on holidays

I think you'll find that Bobby Charlton played for Blacktown City. They made their NSL debut in 1980.
    Actually I've looked into this one and Bobby Charlton was a guest for KB United in 1978! The game was against Marconi.....

"Newcastle KB United was sponsored by Tooths Breweries (hence the KB tag) and took the NSL by storm by setting new crowd attendance records on a regular basis. They drew some famous names to play guest matches with them with Bobby Charlton playing a game for the club in 1978, Paul Reaney joining in 1980 and Craig Johnston played once in 1978 and again in 1982"

I wasn't aware that he guested for KB United. My apologies - I knew he didn't play for Marconi and that's who I thought you meant he was playing for. His Wikipedia page doesn't mention any guest appearances and OzFootball doesn't mention him - but maybe that is only Australian players.