Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First match I went to ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    I wasn't aware that he guested for KB United. My apologies - I knew he didn't play for Marconi and that's who I thought you meant he was playing for. His Wikipedia page doesn't mention any guest appearances and OzFootball doesn't mention him - but maybe that is only Australian players.
    It's a big thing people talk about up here - Bobby Charlton appearing for KB. The story is recounted to me that he played the match in Wallsend? That may be incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

1999 breakers v Adelaide I think

memories was travis dodd just coming on to the scene and shane pryce besides scoring being woeful.

the reserves game was a better game in memory.

my biggest memories are easily of united though. elasi and griff tearing it up
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post

So what was the first match that you went to, NSL, A-League, State League, other League, here or abroad ...
    Time has faded my memory of the opponents, but it was KB United v someone at the old ISC when it was an oval and you could park your car on the hill & watch the game.

I also remember sitting on the oval right next to the field (no security those days) chasing the ball when it went out & throwing it back to the players so they could get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    It's a big thing people talk about up here - Bobby Charlton appearing for KB. The story is recounted to me that he played the match in Wallsend? That may be incorrect.
    Bobby Charlton definitely played for KB United v Marconi at the end of the 1978 season. Last game at home (ISC), he was in his forties and I do recall him hitting the post. Did a bit of promo work leading up to the game and did a few signings. Crowd about 15,000 too and they were wearing the gold strip.

Here's the proof...

Last edited by Jetmaster; 04-01-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Actually I've looked into this one and Bobby Charlton was a guest for KB United in 1978! The game was against Marconi.....

"Newcastle KB United was sponsored by Tooths Breweries (hence the KB tag) and took the NSL by storm by setting new crowd attendance records on a regular basis. They drew some famous names to play guest matches with them with Bobby Charlton playing a game for the club in 1978, Paul Reaney joining in 1980 and Craig Johnston played once in 1978 and again in 1982"

I can't remember which was the first I went to but it was one of the early games during the 1978 season.

Later in the year I went to the Bobby Charlton coaching clinic at the ISC. I think I've still got the T-shirt somewhere.

One i can clear remember

Breakers vs an (nz team?) with wynton ruffer (swiss/nz citizen)

But when to a few games down there at breaker stadium lol.. but was a pretty big trip back then in those days coming from Muswellbrook etc.
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Bobby Charlton definitely played for KB United v Marconi at the end of the 1978 season. Last game at home (ISC), he was in his forties and I do recall him hitting the post. Did a bit of promo work leading up to the game and did a few signings. Crowd about 15,000 too and they were wearing the gold strip.

Here's the proof...

That's a great photo Jetmaster, where did you find it? Actually has brought back some memories as I remember kicking a ball around with some other kids as I was on the Eastern side where (as shown) it was just cordoned off with a rope and the lucky ones in front were just sitting on the grass with everyone else standing up trying to catch a glimpse of Charlton. I had a few old KB United programs and I clearly remember Charlton being on the cover of one of them, absolutely kicking myself because I think I threw them out along with the cards probably in the late 80's sometime.

Googled "KB United Bobby Charlton"!

I think the cards are getting a reprint through Todd? Not sure - I have my full set though showing signs of age.

My first game was around '95, a Breakers game at the Gardens but I can't recall who against. I remember going to a Socceroos game vs NZ there around the same time as well.

Another thing I remember going to at Birmingham Gardens was a women's international double header in the mid to late 90's... I think it was Australia vs NZ and the USA vs ???. Anyone else remember that?

First game I can remember at the ISC was Northern NSW ( I believe) against Moscow Dynamo . I had been in the guard of honour I think as I can remember watching the game from the grandstand in my playing strip and absolutely freezing . On checking I now realise I may have been watching Lev Yashin in goals for the Russians.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
    First game I can remember at the ISC was Northern NSW ( I believe) against Moscow Dynamo . I had been in the guard of honour I think as I can remember watching the game from the grandstand in my playing strip and absolutely freezing . On checking I now realise I may have been watching Lev Yashin in goals for the Russians.
    Any idea what year was this?
    NNSW used to play touring teams quite regularly in years gone by. Remember seeing a NNSW side play Partizan Belgrade at Speers Point in the mid to late 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Any idea what year was this?
    NNSW used to play touring teams quite regularly in years gone by. Remember seeing a NNSW side play Partizan Belgrade at Speers Point in the mid to late 80's.
    Reminded me that Partizan played the Gutendorf Socceroos at ISC in 1980....got nasty and they walked off the field for a period.

Not from memory but I checked on web (oz football) and it was 1st March 1970..my major memory is that it was windy and cold and not a day to sit in the stand in short sleeves and shorts. The Oz football site records a 6-1 victory to Moscow.

don't remember when, or the opposition. all I remember was breakers stadium, parking in the cemetery. I was in primary school, so it must have been early to mid 90's.

Just a guess, but I'd say that the Marconi player in the photo with Bobby Charlton is Ivo Prskalo.

Ill jump on this thread first newcastle football game im pretty sure was one of the breakers games at their old stadium in the early 2000s. Can't remember the score but my pop and uncle took me to the game and not long after this i started playing football myself. My first Jets game was in season two against Queensland roar on a friday night. Think it was a crowd of 3000 and we lost but i remember seeing nicky carle play and thinking this guy is amazing and this convinced me to ask my parents if we could go to jets games and been going ever since

1976. Adamstown v Shortland u7. I was supposed to play in the previous fixture Adamstown v Shortland u6 at 6.50am. My Dad could not find the ground in time.
    Last edited by front2; 18-01-2016 at 02:31 AM. Reason: .

2006. Jets vs NZ Knights. Coming off a winless streak the Jets won 3-0 including one from the incredible Milton and I was set for the long path of supporting this club

Breakers v Heidelberg at Austral, early 90s IIRC

Watched Sheffield Wednesday tour same year if memory correct

Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    2006. Jets vs NZ Knights. Coming off a winless streak the Jets won 3-0 including one from the incredible Milton and I was set for the long path of supporting this club
    It was raining as well if I recall correctly. One of the best football experiences I can remember. Great atmosphere from such a small crowd.