Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First match I went to ...

Quote Originally Posted by front2 View Post
    1976. Adamstown v Shortland u7. I was supposed to play in the previous fixture Adamstown v Shortland u6 at 6.50am. My Dad could not find the ground in time.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    It was raining as well if I recall correctly. One of the best football experiences I can remember. Great atmosphere from such a small crowd.
    was there for that one as well

What year was the Eastern grandstand put in at Birmingham Gardens??
    I distinctly remember sitting on the southern Hill with my Dad, and while a game was being played, watching some sort of post-basher hammering something into the earth in what I assume was the grandstand foundations.. (I remember at the time wondering why I could see it being hit, but the sound of it being hit coming a second or so later, hahaha)..
    Trying to put a year to this memory..

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    It was raining as well if I recall correctly. One of the best football experiences I can remember. Great atmosphere from such a small crowd.
    Would that have been the game of the infamous Labi goal from no man's land? I'm pretty sure that was part of a 3-0 win over the Knights. Might be getting my season's mixed up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    What year was the Eastern grandstand put in at Birmingham Gardens??
    I distinctly remember sitting on the southern Hill with my Dad, and while a game was being played, watching some sort of post-basher hammering something into the earth in what I assume was the grandstand foundations.. (I remember at the time wondering why I could see it being hit, but the sound of it being hit coming a second or so later, hahaha)..
    Trying to put a year to this memory..

Hopefully ii have got my bearings right but the Eastern is the side with the dressing rooms and the side you enter ground from??

Northern the cemetery end and Southern the scrap metal joint ???

I am pretty certain the Eastern stand at Breakers Stadium was built before the Breakers first home game ever. To the best of my memory it was always there from day 1

I recall them putting in some budget seating and roofed areas on the Western side a few years later before they went kaput

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

Hopefully ii have got my bearings right but the Eastern is the side with the dressing rooms and the side you enter ground from??

Northern the cemetery end and Southern the scrap metal joint ???

I am pretty certain the Eastern stand at Breakers Stadium was built before the Breakers first home game ever. To the best of my memory it was always there from day 1

I recall them putting in some budget seating and roofed areas on the Western side a few years later before they went kaput
    Yeah thats right..
    So was that Australs that played there prior to Breakers days??
    Any idea on the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Yeah thats right..
    So was that Australs that played there prior to Breakers days??
    Any idea on the year?
    Yes Australs played there prior to the Breakers who first played in the NSL season 1991/92.
    Australs were a fairly strong club if I recall, figuring in the NNSW State league for many years

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Yes Australs played there prior to the Breakers who first played in the NSL season 1991/92.
    Australs were a fairly strong club if I recall, figuring in the NNSW State league for many years
    Maybe thats what my old-boy was taking me to watch..
    Definitely before the grandstand was built.. I'm guessing it is in the era of 86-90, some time around then..

Banned
    Not thinking it was there when Australs were there

May well have been going up at the end of Australs days there in preparation for the NSL Breakers side.

Can't imagine the thing would have taken too long to build either as it is pretty simple in design so I would be backing most closer to your 1990 mark than the 1986 mark

Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Would that have been the game of the infamous Labi goal from no man's land? I'm pretty sure that was part of a 3-0 win over the Knights. Might be getting my season's mixed up.
    You're thinking of a different game. It was North, Musialik and Rodriguez who scored in the first game I attended