Page 49 of 76 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2016

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter403 View Post
    I'd argue that the grass does need protection otherwise we will continue to try and teach our kids to play on crap surfaces. Fix the drainage issues and the subsoil and then the grass will more likely survive the rain and the heavy use.

I do however agree that we should play in all weather. Some of my best memories of junior football are of rain soaked matches. Let's get the grounds right then we can play in anything. Yeah, I know, who will pay for it? Council does have a significant amount in section 94 and 94a contributions stashed away. That's the start point. Then it will be down to local communities and clubs or a benefactor of some kind. It's nice to dream
    I don't think quality surfaces to teach kids mean much.

Many highly technical players have learnt the skills in less than ideal circumstances.a and facilities
    Bumpy pitches teach skills that are easily replicated on ideal surfaces
    African kids play in dust bowl and without coaching can master trapping a ball
    Sth American kids play on all sorts of rough pitches and have acceptable technical skills

Our kids need to play on billiard tables and are ****ing useless

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post

Many highly technical players have learnt the skills in less than ideal circumstances.a and facilities
    Sth American kids play on all sorts of rough pitches and have acceptable technical skills

Most didn't even have boots.....
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

I'm not suggesting we play on billiard tables. I'm suggesting we play on better surfaces, you know, ones with grass on them and that aren't cut to pieces by over use. I'm suggesting that we can't play in poor weather because the fields are crap and given the traffic they take they need protection. Yes, many of the worlds best that have come from poor nations where they cut their teeth when very young on poor surfaces but they soon find themselves on good ones. They also have a hunger to succeed that many of our pampered young do not. There are also a quite a few of the worlds best that have been nurtured by wealthy nations that have better facilities than we do and are on good surfaces from a very early age. Those nations also often have a far better and well worn path to success than we currently have. That's a whole new discussion on the impact socioeconomic conditions have on the production of football talent.

My point is simple. We have a limited number of fields that are over used and in really poor shape. Without huge investment they will stay that way. The only way to limit the damage is to avoid playing in poor weather. Hence the postponement of the game.

So you missed the bit where I was talking about pub league fields??

How many Pub League pitches in Europe have multi million $$ pitches??
    Your comparing NPL grounds win Newy with multi million $$ pitches on pub league grounds.

Care to enlighten us as to which pub league pitches are worth millions of $$ because I am at a loss

Delusional is when you can't read and then comment and make points that don't even stick with the points raised
    where in that post were you talking about pub sides??

Banned

Biggest issue here to me is a cultural thing. First hint of rain and it is off as the precious grass needs protection.
    Compare that to Europe where weather 5x as bad as we have had in Newy today and they would still be playing on not only professional standard pitches but also pub league pictures right across the nation.

So even facilities with less drainage and infrastructure than a Newy NPL ground would be used without batting an eyelid.
    Not hard to find

Undersoil heating is for dealing with pitches being frozen rather than wet . Obviously dangerous playing on a pitch as hard as concrete as it is frozen. Not an issue in this country

Your right a lot of our sporting facilities in this country are built on swamp. . You only need to look at the plethora of drains creeks etc in the vicinity of grounds to see this.

Biggest issue here to me is a cultural thing. First hint of rain and it is off as the precious grass needs protection.
    Compare that to Europe where weather 5x as bad as we have had in Newy today and they would still be playing on not only professional standard pitches but also pub league pictures right across the nation.

So even facilities with less drainage and infrastructure than a Newy NPL ground would be used without batting an eyelid.

Yet here it is off.

Hell even as a kid growing up in Newy 20-30 years ago we would play in these conditions every week if present but not now thanks to over zealous bureaucracy
    x2

As a junior in Newie in the 80s and early 90s I remember playing in all sorts of shit conditions.

Up in the New England wet weather rarely results in matches called off, although this season has seen some stupid decisions in that regard.

Mates of mine now playing NBN/NewFM complain about how piss weak the wet weather rules are down there now. Apparently someone spits on a field and its washed out ffs

It is a cultural thing like Member says, Aussies are basically, soft, when it comes to rain. Look at the fans who stay away in droves if there are showers or threat of a storm and how they run for the stands if it starts to drizzle. In Europe fans suit up and stand in the snow, rain and hail.

And it starts at the top - we can't provide the national team with a reasonable surface to play at home in many cases. But look at places like Wigan, Hull and to some extent Old Trafford that have other codes playing on them, regularly, in British winter. Apart from a few lines the grass looks fine. We can't be arsed to tap in that technology though as the other codes don't care what they play on, they don't need to and that extends down the chain.

In your own pragmatic style old mate, once again you are on the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Aussies are basically, soft, when it comes to rain. Look at the fans who stay away in droves if there are showers or threat of a storm and how they run for the stands if it starts to drizzle.
    I think the word you're looking for is sensible.

What sort of asshole wants to stand out in the rain while some other asshole that doesnt give a shit about you does his job?

Geez, too many other awesome things to do in this country rather than get your Sunday best all messed up.

Plus there's the added chance of going off the pink into the brown. brrrr

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post

Oh Magoo, you've done it again....

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post

Hey Member, your mate Ben Williams has retired
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/e...p146zr3o0m5svu

Ben Williams Retires

That's a very good thing for us.

Refereed 27 matches and we won 6, drew 3 and lost 18.

Produced 54 yellows and 5 reds for us, 39 yellows and 2 reds for the opposition.

Awarded the Jets 2 penalties during his time, while the opposition were awarded 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Hey Member, your mate Ben Williams has retired
    He ain't my mate.

It must be said it is a great day today

Praise Griff

I wonder which blind git is getting promoted to the FT panel??

I hope the FFA take the opportunity to recruit a foreign ref who can force these other clowns to improve

I'd like to announce that the FFA will make an announcement at 11am.

Quote Originally Posted by Couscous View Post
    I'd like to announce that the FFA will make an announcement at 11am.
    http://www.a-league.com.au/article/h...k1wq99o1vj9sin

4 more years of HAL.

IGA sign on for 3 years as Adelaide major sponsor.

http://www.adelaideunited.com.au/art...n10qou2g2luocn

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/40...t-seat/?cs=306

http://www.nbnnews.com.au/2016/07/25...s-join-forces/

Last night's NBN coverage of Matt Hall's pep talk to the Jets re aiming for the sky
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...

from some coasties twitter
    Luke@Boycey1105 6m6 minutes ago
    Halftime and the Jets are up 1-0. Cracking goal from Brown the difference.#preseason