Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread: The Daily International News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Let's discuss the issue at hand first and you and I can pick this little discussion up later on Stan, cool?
    You started with that cheap shot but at least we both agree the super league is ****ed and shouldnt happen. I want that feeling of winning the UCL again not some manufactured super league
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Dortmund have just distanced themselves from the ESL and their boss said Bayern are on the same page, expect an announcement from them soon.

Also PSG supposedly just helped push through the new 36 team UCL format today, so they might also not be keen on ESL. That's another positive.

Spurs sacking Mourinho today is gonna be missed by everyone, well played Levy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Just saw the Mourinho news.

I just don’t see how it goes ahead.
    If the FIFA and UEFA threats are serious, they must have some legal motives behind them, and I can’t see managers, players and fans getting behind it to make it viable.
    The general public over there must be unhappy with proposal. Would spark league wide protests. From a PR perspective it seems a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Just saw the Mourinho news.

I just don’t see how it goes ahead.
    If the FIFA and UEFA threats are serious, they must have some legal motives behind them, and I can’t see managers, players and fans getting behind it to make it viable.
    The general public over there must be unhappy with proposal. Would spark league wide protests. From a PR perspective it seems a nightmare.
    They already discussed that "project big picture" thing last year, which didn't go well. Then they've tried this one, which I agree will fail, but eventually they'll get enough people to think UEFA and FIFA are the ones causing the issues at grass roots level and not a mix of those 2 and these shitty owners. Eventually they are bound to find enough support.

Interestingly someone at the FA put forward the idea of adopting the 50+1 ownership requirements like the Bundesliga. Supposedly garnered substantial support in any penalty the FA and UK government are going to discuss implementing on the breakaway teams, and the football pyramid in general.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Little bit of devils advocacy here, little bit of curiosity/lack of understanding the finer details. Not supporting it, just exploring it.

What’s stopping these clubs entering a private “exhibition” tournament, operated by a private company?
    Seems a similar concept to the Champions Cup tours which had no qualification, were selected randomly by the private company operating it.

The main difference I can see is the timing and their proposed boycott of UCL and UEL.
    I’m assuming their proposal is to have this played mid season, and at the expense of these clubs participation in UCL and UEL. Which I think is wrong.
    Now, if clubs were able to participate in EPL, UCL and UEL and field competitive teams and not degrade these competitions. Would it be problem?
    If the competition was played in the off season, is it a problem?
    Who is going to be interested in another competition? And off season Mickey Mouse tournament?

I understand the kick in the teeth to history and going against the whole qualification process of our most successful competitions. But is there anything stopping these privately operated clubs entering a private tournament not affiliated with FIFA or UEFA etc.

Would fans support it enough to make it viable? I doubt it.
    I could see it happening for a few years and support wouldn’t be there and a waste of time and money.
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 20-04-2021 at 07:34 AM.

You lot realise this Super League has been happening for years in front of your faces right?
    Every pre season teams go to Asia and America for these mini tournaments, they sell lots of tickets they get great govt kickbacks and sell extra TV rights.
    They have been doing it for ages but now just want to formalise it mid season instead.
    For every whinging Stretford well 'ard local having a moan at the moment there are hundreds of thousands of new customers in USA/China/India willing to fork over good money to watch their 'beloved' Man United play.
    This aint about Stanny and his bi annual purchase of a new plastic flag, its about someone in Jakarta forking out for an Amazon TV package.
    You people mean absolutely nothing to these clubs because there's always someone willing to take your place. Hate on it all you want but the irony of a bunch of blokes in Australia moaning about the globalization of football is laughable. If clubs should only care about locals you'd be 100% Jets and no one else.
    You and your fandom from across the sea is what entices these owners to seek more of people like you.

Now, once again its probably just a leverage play to get more Champions League revenue and will go back in the box til negotiations are next due, but the inevitability of this should never be doubted.

To be fair id leave Roman out of the convo here on asshole owners, he actually looks like he just spends to win. The FSG/Kronke/Glazer cabal look like winning is a pleasant by product of making money. But seriously, **** those Juve crooks. What scum they seem to be.

To clarify my views, it's hard to be disgusted with what's been put forward without sounding like you are happy with the current situation or backing UEFA and FIFA, whom I think are turgid piles of excrement who are leeching off the game and selling it to the crooks of the world already. The FA don't actually give a shit about lower leagues either, they only care about losing the big 6 clubs from their product if this Super League takes off.

Also, you're correct that this won't go through Plagueis the not-so-wise (star wars reference), and it's just a bargaining chip during these new UCL expansion talks. More teams means less money for the teams in question, so they are trying to drive a big enough wedge in between fans and UEFA so that they can somehow take over control of the major European competition, whether now or in the future.

Realistically, all they actually needed to do is expand the UEL and UEL conference to include more teams (looks like your helping the small clubs) whilst shrinking the UCL and turn it into a touring gig like you and Brem mentioned about pre season games. 20 team comp and make it coefficient based more instead of qualified for. Top 16 coefficients + the last 4 of the Europa League from the year before. Two groups of 10 play a mid week league, top 4 from each go into finals. Top 16 right now would be Bayern, Real, Barca, City, Juve, Atletico, PSG, United, Liverpool, Sevilla, Arsenal, Chelsea, Dortmund, Tottenham, Porto and Roma. Effectively you trick people into thinking you're allowing promotion but make it extremely hard to do so, cause every point in the top league would be worth 3 in the lower league which increases the top teams coefficients.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    As much as I hate it's funny how theve included a team that hasn't won the league since 2004 and a team that hasnt won it since the 60s and say its for big teams
    Am surprised Inter are in it also.
    OK

To clarify my views, it's hard to be disgusted with what's been put forward without sounding like you are happy with the current situation or backing UEFA and FIFA, whom I think are turgid piles of excrement who are leeching off the game and selling it to the crooks of the world already. The FA don't actually give a shit about lower leagues either, they only care about losing the big 6 clubs from their product if this Super League takes off.
    Preach
    OK

Also, this whole BHUHHHH ARSENAL ARE 16TH WHAT MAKES THEM SUPER? take is silly.
    Super refers to revenue and marketability. Nothing else.

Also, its been funny seeing the same assholes who were more than happy to see people censored during the US election "BUUH JUST START YOUR OWN SOCIAL MEDIA COMPANY" are now very much against the free market flexing on them.

Where are their tweets telling West Ham and Betis to form their own Super League?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    Also, its been funny seeing the same assholes who were more than happy to see people censored during the US election "BUUH JUST START YOUR OWN SOCIAL MEDIA COMPANY" are now very much against the free market flexing on them.

Where are their tweets telling West Ham and Betis to form their own Super League?
    Hol up.

What's happening isn't exactly what you are implying here. These clubs aren't fully breaking away. They want to stay in the premier league and enjoy feeding off that plate as well as their own Super league buffet. If they want to split completely, or get booted, I'm totally fine with this. This can be something different to normal football, they can even change the rules to whatever they want, and the regular leagues can cling on for a few years, drop the spending down to suit whatever tv deal they get and there will be two separate games to watch. I would love that, even if there's absolutely zero chance of any of it happening. The league will fold and football will never be the same once this goes through.

Hol up.

What's happening isn't exactly what you are implying here. These clubs aren't fully breaking away. They want to stay in the premier league and enjoy feeding off that plate as well as their own Super league buffet. If they want to split completely, or get booted, I'm totally fine with this. This can be something different to normal football, they can even change the rules to whatever they want, and the regular leagues can cling on for a few years, drop the spending down to suit whatever tv deal they get and there will be two separate games to watch. I would love that, even if there's absolutely zero chance of any of it happening. The league will fold and football will never be the same once this goes through.
    No, what im saying is that if these clubs want a Super League then cool.
    If the Prem wants to kick them out then cool.
    If UEFA bans them from ECL and players from Europe then cool.
    If FIFA bans them from world cups then cool.

I just want everyone to understand what the rules are and accept that they have to be consistent.

Again though we both agree it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Plague View Post
    No, what im saying is that if these clubs want a Super League then cool.
    If the Prem wants to kick them out then cool.
    If UEFA bans them from ECL and players from Europe then cool.
    If FIFA bans them from world cups then cool.

I just want everyone to understand what the rules are and accept that they have to be consistent.

Again though we both agree it won't happen.

Oh, sorry. Misunderstood you there.

Here comes the inevitable implosion of the SL.

But what happens next is gonna be very very interesting.

So England plans to introduce government laws to prevent it.
    Don’t FIFA have a thing about governments interfering with the game? Or do they turn a blind eye when it aligns with their needs?

Very curious to see who holds their nerve the longest. Has to be Man U and the yanks running LFC for the EPL.
    Curious what the managers and players think. Can’t imagine Klopp loving the idea, can’t see Spurs attracting a new manager anytime soon with their interest, seems like something any sensible players should should be boycotting too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    So England plans to introduce government laws to prevent it.
    Don’t FIFA have a thing about governments interfering with the game? Or do they turn a blind eye when it aligns with their needs?

Very curious to see who holds their nerve the longest. Has to be Man U and the yanks running LFC for the EPL.
    Curious what the managers and players think. Can’t imagine Klopp loving the idea, can’t see Spurs attracting a new manager anytime soon with their interest, seems like something any sensible players should should be boycotting too.
    Liverpool have just pulled out too. Statement reads "Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions."

The Liverpool squad publicly shared they would not participate.

Regardless of this, the owners of all these clubs have been tarnished because of their decision.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 21-04-2021 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

City are friends with Ceferin of UEFA, they left first and Chelsea went at basically the same time. The other 4 then had a discussion and shat themselves before leaving. Liverpool, Spuds and Arsenal are officially leaving as I write this. So they obviously are all running back with their tails between their legs.

Arsenal's statement went like this.

It was never our intention to cause such distress, however when the invitation to join the Super League came, while knowing there were no guarantees, we did not want to be left behind to ensure we protected Arsenal and its future.

Lol, how pitiful does that sound. We only did it because we didn't want to be left behind, mate we are already being left behind by your shitty decisions and the disgusting owner that we've hated since the day he bought us out.

Chelsea getting praised as the 1st club to pull our of the ESL. Feels weird. Hopefully we smash Madrid next week but we shouldn't forget when almost happened this week